• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

andimidna

Smash Master
Why do members think that Jigglypuff is going to get a new move-set anyways?
Well, have we ever had a Pokemon return that has recieved a new typing inbetween installments? ...I don't think we have. Plus I think Jigglypuff received the biggest decrease/ nerf in Smash history in Brawl after being pretty decent in Melee.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Alright, I was waiting for this. Here's my reasoning.
Although Goroh is the more iconic character and Falcon's rival, Black Shadow is also a villain and can easily fit into that niche.
According to @GoldenYuiitusin, Black Shadow is a highly requested character in Japan, even comparing him to Ridley and Little Mac overseas. This makes me consider Black Shadow as a serious contender, much more so than I had a few days ago.
Not to mention Ganondorf. I feel like Ganondorf's moveset can translate very nicely to Black Shadow, so you can get a brand new Ganon AND Falcondorf's legacy lives on.
And like @SaturnGamer64 often says, F-Zero is a relatively large series, especially when compared to Mother or Kid Icarus. So I find it to be underrepped currently, and Black Shadow can fix that.
So we get a villain, more F-Zero representation, a highly requested character from Japan, a brand new Ganondorf, AND we still get to keep old Ganondorf in a way for those who like it.
It's a win win win win win.
And I fixed my roster.
View attachment 7293
Shadow for Goroh and Chrom for a Fire Emblem character with a remotely different move set. And again Samurai Goroh is much more unique, requested and important than Black Shadow. Black Shadow should be an AT.

And Shulk........ah you know how I feel about Shulk's chances

Morbi

Scavenger
lol *looks at sakurai's track record of pokemon movesets*

yeah idk why anyone would think sakurai would give a pokemon a unique moveset
I have difficulty detecting sarcasm on the internet; however, that seems to be what you are going for using subjective examples. This is all irrelevant as we have precedent that is fairly accurate in dictating how Sakurai goes about introducing new move-set ideas (Pit and Bowser) and de-cloning characters like Luigi and Ganondorf.

You are delusional if you think Jigglypuff will receive an overhaul. This has been a popular play-style around for 15 years. They may change a move or two, as with everything else. He isn't going to make Jigglypuff's new moves a priority either. She is fine as is, and he will probably agree.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
I have difficulty detecting sarcasm on the internet; however, that seems to be what you are going for using subjective examples. This is all irrelevant as we have precedent that is fairly accurate in dictating how Sakurai goes about introducing new move-set ideas (Pit and Bowser) and de-cloning characters like Luigi and Ganondorf.

You are delusional if you think Jigglypuff will receive an overhaul. This has been a popular play-style around for 15 years. They may change a move or two, as with everything else. He isn't going to make Jigglypuff's new moves a priority either. She is fine as is, and he will probably agree.
wasn't sarcasm lolz.

sakurai really sucks at making real representative movesets. Mewtwo had confusion, disable, and teleport when he had a whole plethora of different moves to use ._. that sucks to me. I want a mewtwo with like thunderbolt, fireblast, etc. not all psychic moves

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Again, doesn't mean I can't design a new Jiggs. :p I don't design thinking it can happen, I design because I feel like it and think the character could be treated better. :p

Morbi

Scavenger
Shadow for Goroh and Chrom for a Fire Emblem character with a remotely different move set. And again Samurai Goroh is much more unique, requested and important than Black Shadow. Black Shadow should be an AT.

I honestly don't care. I prefer Black Shadow, and I truly believe that Sakurai would be making the proper decision by imputing Gandalf's move-set to Black Shadow. The F-Zero Smash relevance directly pertains to Samurai Goroh. This is true, but again, this can be imputed to Black Shadow as well. When it comes down to it, voice-actors are important. He is a popular pick in Japan, and honestly, the only real reason I even support Goroh is to get an F-Zero character in. It is the only original series (aside from Yoshi, something that I view as a gimmick, he is really Mario in my mind) without a second character. Both characters have the potential to be unique, and both are fairly overt choices with decent requests. One of them better happen... or else! :awesome:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
That's not what the poll I saw told me.
I wonder what poll you saw, then?

Low Tier
• Waluigi 399
• Majora (Skull Kid) 378
• Pac-Man 375
• Black Shadow 346
• Castlevania (Simon Belmont, Alucard, Dracula) 335
• Bomberman 334
• Blaziken 329
• Samurai Goroh 309
• 2nd Sonic Character (Tails, Shadow, Knuckles) 304
• Lucina 303

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Yay, Saturn's here! Where were ya yesterday, bud?
Anyways, only real reason I'd see Black Shadow over Goroh is if Sakurai wanted Black to be a last minute clone. BUT, with uniqueness being top factor this time around, I doubt it.

Morbi

Scavenger
Again, doesn't mean I can't design a new Jiggs. :p I don't design thinking it can happen, I design because I feel like it and think the character could be treated better. :p
That wasn't directed at you, I am all for speculation and I thoroughly enjoy discussing potential changes. I cannot comprehend the notion that people think it will ACTUALLY happen though, that is what bothers me.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I honestly don't care. I prefer Black Shadow, and I truly believe that Sakurai would be making the proper decision by imputing Gandalf's move-set to Black Shadow. The F-Zero Smash relevance directly pertains to Samurai Goroh. This is true, but again, this can be imputed to Black Shadow as well. When it comes down to it, voice-actors are important. He is a popular pick in Japan, and honestly, the only real reason I even support Goroh is to get an F-Zero character in. It is the only original series (aside from Yoshi, something that I view as a gimmick, he is really Mario in my mind) without a second character. Both characters have the potential to be unique, and both are fairly overt choices with decent requests. One of them better happen... or else! :awesome:
Again, that's like having Meta Knight instead of King Dedede or Wolf before Falco or Medusa before Palutena. I don't even think Ganondorf's move set is going to be rehauled. Plus you save more time by keeping semi-clone Ganondorf and adding semi-clone Goroh.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

You know what happens when you assume, right?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
That wasn't directed at you, I am all for speculation and I thoroughly enjoy discussing potential changes. I cannot comprehend the notion that people think it will ACTUALLY happen though, that is what bothers me.
Well those people are everywhere, let them believe what they will, it's no real skin off your back. They'll have to realize the truth eventually, so it's just a game of patience at that point. Unless they're mindless idiots who don't listen no matter how many times you shove the truth in their faces, then they're very worth calling out. :p

Morbi

Scavenger
Again, that's like having Meta Knight instead of King Dedede or Wolf before Falco or Medusa before Palutena. I don't even think Ganondorf's move set is going to be rehauled. Plus you save more time by keeping semi-clone Ganondorf and adding semi-clone Goroh.
No, you misunderstand. I do acknowledge that Goroh is the more likely candidate, I still support him. I just prefer Black Shadow as it would be more "justified," it wouldn't just be adding an F-Zero character based on the franchises staggering importance, and that alone. As you have seen from discussions in this very thread, members aren't very receptive to adding Goroh just because he is F-Zero. Black Shadow serves a higher purpose in my opinion, he mitigates the damage done to the Legend of Zelda series.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yay, Saturn's here! Where were ya yesterday, bud?
Anyways, only real reason I'd see Black Shadow over Goroh is if Sakurai wanted Black to be a last minute clone. BUT, with uniqueness being top factor this time around, I doubt it.
Aww, I missed you too. ;)

And on the semi-clone notion. The proper assumption would be that Samurai Goroh himself would be a semi-clone of Captain Falcon according to the evidential criteria of clone-esque characters.

I imagine Goroh would be similar to the Ganondorf from Melee, while also incorparating the katanna into side special and some Smash attacks where he is not as flexible. Also maybe a Samurai Pawnch similar to Falcon's in Smash 64. And of course other differences.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
No, you misunderstand. I do acknowledge that Goroh is the more likely candidate, I still support him. I just prefer Black Shadow as it would be more "justified," it wouldn't just be adding an F-Zero character based on the franchises staggering importance, and that alone. As you have seen from discussions in this very thread, members aren't very receptive to adding Goroh just because he is F-Zero. Black Shadow serves a higher purpose in my opinion, he mitigates the damage done to the Legend of Zelda series.
Which in a way is the most tragic thing. Black Shadow isn't necessarily loved for being Black Shadow, but more a replacement part for what many consider Smash's first big mistake.

Heck, the fact we feel like Ganondorf's old moveset needs to be palmed off onto another poor unsuspecting character at all is kind of depressing.

Morbi

Scavenger

And on the semi-clone notion. The proper assumption would be that Samurai Goroh himself would be a semi-clone of Captain Falcon according to the evidential criteria of clone-esque characters.

I imagine Goroh would be similar to the Ganondorf from Melee, while also incorparating the katanna into side special and some Smash attacks where he is not as flexible. Also maybe a Samurai Pawnch similar to Falcon's in Smash 64. And of course other differences.
See, that is exactly why people don't actually want Goroh. We don't need a second F-Zero clone without first de-cloning that character that isn't even a part of that series to begin with (Gandalf). Goroh using his sword would only rub salt in the wound as many wanted Gandalf to actually utilize the big ass sword he is carrying around.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't see how Black Shadow serves a higher purpose really other than to give Ganondorf a move set and retain his old one. That seems like a strange reason to add a character.

I don't see what you mean by "damage" either. In my opinion, everyone who is a clone/pseudo clone SHOULD be. And these abilities are best for Ganondorf as a thin sword and magic ruins his actual strength. However you could easily incorparate more magic into Ganondorf while still mostly retaining the Brawl move set.

Goroh's only purpose isn't just to represent F-Zero. But it would still be a better reason then to take over a move set.

You know what happens when you assume, right?
I highly doubt that CHROM of all people will break the clone trend.

Morbi

Scavenger
Which in a way is the most tragic thing. Black Shadow isn't necessarily loved for being Black Shadow, but more a replacement part for what many consider Smash's first big mistake.

Heck, the fact we feel like Ganondorf's old moveset needs to be palmed off onto another poor unsuspecting character at all is kind of depressing.
If it is a reason to get my favorite F-Zero character in the game, so be it. I will certainly make it apparent. I don't care if Gandalf imputes a move-set to Black Shadow, personally, as it is a play-style I am quite familiar with whilst one that I thoroughly enjoy. I can't speak for anyone else, but if I can leech off of Gandalf's popularity to get a character I like in the game, I am going to do it. It wouldn't be the first time lesser characters made it into Smash just because a certain character was super popular.

In any event, the real reason I support Black Shadow.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
See, that is exactly why people don't actually want Goroh. We don't need a second F-Zero clone without first de-cloning that character that isn't even a part of that series to begin with (Gandalf).
Why not?

Goroh using his sword would only rub salt in the wound as many wanted Gandalf to actually utilize the big *** sword he is carrying around.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl

Hm.. interesting. Do tell more.
Speaking of Goroh though, I'm trying to make an entirely original move set, but I'm having troubles with his Up Special. Any suggestions?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If it is a reason to get my favorite F-Zero character in the game, so be it. I will certainly make it apparent. I don't care if Gandalf imputes a move-set to Black Shadow, personally, as it is a play-style I am quite familiar with whilst one that I thoroughly enjoy. I can't speak for anyone else, but if I can leech off of Gandalf's popularity to get a character I like in the game, I am going to do it. It wouldn't be the first time lesser characters made it into Smash just because a certain character was super popular.

In any event, the real reason I support Black Shadow.
Ah, now see ACTUAL support for Black Shadow I'm all for. I'd still personally prefer Samurai Goroh myself, but Black Shadow is another acceptable candidate and we all know F-Zero could do with some fan support for a revival.

In fact my general philosophy is to accept fan support if it's genuine, no matter how bizarre it is or unlikely it is(possibly a selfish reflection on my own fanboy wants of Toad, Meowth and Samurai Goroh). It's why I feel like Blue's suggestion in Sable and Anna is fine; he genuinely loves the characters.

Mega Bidoof likewise I can accept liking Wart...but sadly being accepting of Reggie is beyond my abilities.

#Nobodyisready

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Hm.. interesting. Do tell more.
Speaking of Goroh though, I'm trying to make an entirely original move set, but I'm having troubles with his Up Special. Any suggestions?
I couln't really think of anything. When I tried to with Takamaru all I really came up with was Roy's upward special.

A unique Samurai Goroh would most likely have a Shurikens, a fiery katana, and maybe invisibility. But, it's probably not wise to assume that Samurai Goroh WOULDN'T be a semi-clone of Captain Falcon. But, even then characters like Wolf were able to become unique from Fox. There is actually plenty of twists you can put to Captain Falcon's specials.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ah, now see ACTUAL support for Black Shadow I'm all for. I'd still personally prefer Samurai Goroh myself, but Black Shadow is another acceptable candidate and we all know F-Zero could do with some fan support for a revival.

In fact my general philosophy is to accept fan support if it's genuine, no matter how bizarre it is or unlikely it is. It's why I feel like Blue's suggestion in Sable and Anna is fine; he genuinely loves the characters.

Mega Bidoof likewise I can accept liking Wart...but sadly being accepting of Reggie is beyond my abilities.

#Nobodyisready
Yes, trust me, I am a legitimate supporter of Black Shadow. I obviously wouldn't mind Goroh either. I am not actually a huge fan of his character though, Black Shadow on the other hand... he inspired me to watch that horrible anime. :urg:

In that same vein, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a new move-set either. I just like to justify my characters to extremities, even if it is to no avail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom