• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I actually wanted Knuckle Joe for the next Kirby character. Too bad it is a pipe dream now. :sadeyes:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
My justification is it has been a while since the last direct. Also, averaging the time between directs since jan. 2012, I get a number of about 37 days, std deviation of 8 days (that means give or take for those math inclined) so since its been about a month since the last one, I would think that another is coming soon.

The model isnt perfect though. Weve had as long as 57 days between directs, and a minimum of 22 days.

Also, just sparking comversation

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Guys, the next Kirby character is not going to be Bandana Waddle Dee.

It's totally going to be Dark Meta Knight cuz Meta Knight is so popular within Smash. :troll:
Hooray for moar blood in Kirby games! :troll:

(Note the red splashes in his intro and before he creates mirror copies)

D

Deleted member

Of course it's been a while since the last Direct; all global Directs are bi-monthly. We won't get the next one until sometime in February.

Hooray for moar blood in Kirby games! :troll:
(Note the red splashes in his intro and before he creates mirror copies)
Dark Meta Knight is Zero confirmed.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
"Pic of the day. Rosalina's down special move, tentatively called the Gravitational Pull, sucks up items and weapons. Weapons will be disabled when using this move, of course. You have to shake the Wii Remote to perform this move in Super Mario Galaxy, but you won't need to do that in this game."
...is this a real thing? Just checked, it is.

So, characters like Link become completely useless if they fight Rosalina? There goes balance. I mean, unless he's referring to weapons and items as the same thing (as just thing things that fall onto the stage every once in a while) . Either this move will dominate any character that uses weapons, or it will be completely useless.

Knowing Sakurai, it could go either way.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I actually wanted Knuckle Joe for the next Kirby character. Too bad it is a pipe dream now. :sadeyes:
You know... I never understood why so many people were championing for Knuckle Joe to be the 4th Kirby character when Brawl first came out... was it because he was an Assist Trophy?

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
Too overpowered: "This Pokémon brings victory. It is said that Trainers with Victini always win, regardless of the type of encounter."

Everyone else needs a fighting chance.

mewtwo used his psychic powers to create a hurricane that can destroy the world. Thats overpowered
:joyful:

Not to mention him and ganondorf can pretty much curbstomp the whole playable cast

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You know... I never understood why so many people were championing for Knuckle Joe to be the 4th Kirby character when Brawl first came out... was it because he was an Assist Trophy?
I think so. Bandana Dee hadn't risen to stardom yet as Kirby's Return to Dreamland was yet to be released. So Knuckle Joe seemed to be next in line for the 4th Kirby Character.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
They could bring back clones as palette swaps. I mean, palette swaps seem to now be able to change more then color. Look at the Male Wii Fit Trainer.
They could, but it's a kick in the nuts for anyone who liked/preferred the gameplay differences between certain characters (Doc's raw power, Roy's fire shenanigans, and Young Link's speed especially) for them to just be a 'swap.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good afternoon all, hope you're doing well. Well, I finally finished the updated moveset for Jigglypuff, trying to make her diverse from Kirby and all. She uses a more vocal moveset now:

Standard A Combo: Pound (x1, 6% total, a powerful, singular slap attack.)
Forward + A: Spin Kick (A round kick that will spin her around, 10%)

Up + A: Charm (Creates a trail of hearts upward, knocking the opponent upward, 10%)

Down + A: Low Kick (Kicks the opponent low at their feet, 10%)

Dash Attack: Rollout (Will spin into a ball mid-run and roll through her opponent, 12%)

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral A: Round (Spins around surrounded in musical notes, 11%)

Forward + A: Wake-Up Slap (A powerful forward-moving slap attack, 13%)

Up + A: Disarming Voice (Waves hand upward as sound waves are released, knocking the opponent up even farther, 11%)

Back + A: Puffy Roundhouse (Will turn around mid-air to deliver a kick behind her, 11%)

Down + A: Jiggly Drill (Spins around in the air with feet extended like a drill, dealing multiple hits at once. 16% total)

Smash Attacks:
Forward Smash: Double-Edge (Will thrust entire body forward with powerful force, smashing hard into any opponent in the way. 25%)

Up Smash: Echoed Voice (Will release powerful voice waves while facing either directly at or away from the screen, causing the opponent hit by them to be knocked upward. 21%)

Down Smash: Gyro Ball (Will spin around in place before delivering a powerful split kick that will strike on either side of her, 21%)

Grab/Throws:

Grab: Grabs with right hand

Pummel: Hits with other hand (3% per pummel)

Front Throw: Puffs up Body then slams into opponent (10%)

Up Throw: Spin throws the opponent up into the air (10%)

Down Throw: Rolls repeatedly on top of the opponent (10%)

Back Throw: Back-Drops the opponent (10%)

Special Moves:
Standard Special: Hyper Voice

A new standard special for the Jiggs, Jigglypuff will charge up a blast of sound within her body, then by releasing the B button, will shoot out an echoing voice wave that will travel across the screen and deal damage to opponents caught in the crossfire. Smaller projectiles will be negated by this attack, and the only kind of projectile that can over-power this attack are long-range powerful beams, such as the Max damage aura sphere, the Super Scope or the Ray Gun/Cracker Launcher. 26% max

Side Special: Double-Slap

While this move is defined as a new move, it’s more of an upgrade to Jigglypuff’s original Pound move. Jigglypuff can rapidly slap the opponent by mashing the B button during this attack, being able to slap a total of five times in a row. This can also be used as a really good horizontal recovery. 20% total

Up Special: Fairy Wind

A brand new special that is Jigglypuff’s first ever recovery special, Jigglypuff will spin higher up into the air using a gust of pink wind, which can damage opponents caught either around or above her during this attack. 14% total

Down Special: Rest

Rest has been buffed back up to its Melee glory, releasing a powerful Pink explosion that will do incredible knockback to an opponent overlapped with her. Mashing the B button will now help Jigglypuff wake up faster if the attack is missed. 28%

Final Smash: Uproar

A range-controlling final smash, Jigglypuff will start to release powerful soundwaves around it once the B button is pressed, the range of these sound-waves growing in size if the B Button is mashed, which will catch and rapidly damage opponents to very high amounts of damage. The sound-waves last for a total of three seconds before the final wave blasts opponents away. This attack will also deal more damage depending on how much the B button is pressed. Jigglypuff will taunt at the end of the attack to signal that the final smash is over. 30-60% total, high knockback

Color Scheme:
#1: Pink and Blue Eyes (Standard Jigglypuff)
#2: Pink and Blue Eyes, Bow(Standard Alternate Jigglypuff)

#3: Pink and Royal Blue Eyes, Baseball Cap (Black/White Trainer Jigglypuff)

#4: Light Purple and Green Eyes, Visor (Black 2/White 2 Trainer Jigglypuff)

#5: Pink and Navy Blue Eyes, Green Velvet Hat (Original)

Taunts:
#1: Will spin around and Wink as she says “Jigglypuff!”
#2: Will do a quick spin around in place and pose

#3: Does a small singing animation

Victory Circle:
#1: Will bounce along the ground and roll side to side

#2: Appear to be asleep, then wake up

#3: Will flip up into the air and land, then pose.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
They could, but it's a kick in the nuts for anyone who liked/preferred the gameplay differences between certain characters (Doc's raw power, Roy's fire shenanigans, and Young Link's speed especially) for them to just be a 'swap.
Well, there's no other way, really. People should be happy that they did what they could, instead of being mad about somthing that otherwise there would be less of.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Hotfeet444 Hotfeet444 Nice moveset for Jigglypuff... but I liked Rollout... it's awesome and I use it a lot. Double Slap is a good replacement/upgrade for Pound... I also wouldn't mind if they moved Sing to her taunts...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Jigglypuff actually doesn't learn Fairy Wind. It's go-to Fairy attack is Disarming Voice, which I see as good way to make Sing an "offensive" move.

Not that that matters. Mewtwo can't learn Shadow Claw, and Pikachu hasn't gotten Skull Bash/Submission since Gen I. If nothing else, Jiggs should get Boomburst by the same logic.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, any of you guys want to talk about possible Final Smashes? I guess it's kind of obvious that Megaman would use the Super Adaptor. But he has other options too. I'm thinking Rosalina could just drop a planet everybody else, by feeding a Luma.

And Villager will of course, summon BEEEEEEES.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
So, any of you guys want to talk about possible Final Smashes? I guess it's kind of obvious that Megaman would use the Super Adaptor. But he has other options too. I'm thinking Rosalina could just drop a planet everybody else, by feeding a Luma.

And Villager will of course, summon BEEEEEEES.
By Final Smashes, do you mean for newcomers or just in general?

Jigglypuff actually doesn't learn Fairy Wind. It's go-to Fairy attack is Disarming Voice, which I see as good way to make Sing an "offensive" move.

Not that that matters. Mewtwo can't learn Shadow Claw, and Pikachu hasn't gotten Skull Bash/Submission since Gen I. If nothing else, Jiggs should get Boomburst by the same logic.
Boomburst would be cool, but I just felt Uproar fit Jigglypuff better.

@ Hotfeet444 Hotfeet444 Nice moveset for Jigglypuff... but I liked Rollout... it's awesome and I use it a lot. Double Slap is a good replacement/upgrade for Pound... I also wouldn't mind if they moved Sing to her taunts...
Well, Rollout IS still there, it's just her dash attack now. Still, I can see how you'd like it, I liked it too, but I was thinking more along the lines that Jigglypuff needs more weapons against projectile characters.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
That said, I think it'd be a pretty good way to service fans of those characters (Roy notwithstanding, since Sakurai doesn't do other characters as alts), since Dr. Mario and Young Link will, without a shadow of a doubt, not be coming back.

I mean, if Project M can make an alternate costume shoot pills instead of fireballs, Sakurai can too, if he's so worried about Doc throwing them. Seriously, his obsession with Doc not throwing fireballs is like, autism-level weird.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
By Final Smashes, do you mean for newcomers or just in general?
Whoever you feel like talking about. Veteran characters, Newcomers, or even characters who aren't even confirmed yet. Doesn't matter to me. I'm just willing to hear some opinions on this.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Rollout could be changed to where she inhales air, puffs up, and then exhales. She then can fly around in the air like a deflating balloon with some control.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Whoever you feel like talking about. Veteran characters, Newcomers, or even characters who aren't even confirmed yet. Doesn't matter to me. I'm just willing to hear some opinions on this.
Oh okay, so then let me think on a couple...

Mario: Should be reworked to use the Mega Mushroom and stomp opponents into the ground
Luigi: Something Luigi's Mansion based, or maybe even an army of Luigis to show a nod to Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, the game Luigi was advertising on his addition (Needs to be something cheerful, Negative Zone is too depressing for the Year of Luigi 2.0)
Kirby: The Ultra Sword from Kirby's Return to Dreamland
King Dedede: Masked Dedede
Pit: The Three Divine Treasures, his old final smash goes to Palutena
R.O.B: Gyromite, a Giant ROB appears in the background and crushes opponents by stacking huge gyros
Snake: If Naked Snake, should change overall final smash weaponry to something more 1960s esque. Or maybe use Volgin's Nuclear rocket launcher.
Sonic: Super Sonic should be able to dash attack
Jigglypuff: Already designed the design of Uproar, a multi-blast soundwave attack that will get stronger by mashing the B button
Mewtwo: Psystrike, his signature move

For newcomers:

MegaMan: Rush Adaptor with Super Rocket Punch
Rosalina: The Comet Observatory Lightspeed jump (From the end of Super Mario Galaxy before the final level)
Villager: Summons bees and hides in a house
Ridley: Omega-Ridley transformation
King K.Rool: Either the Blast-O-Matic or cannon bombardment from the Gangplank Galleon.
Shulk: Monado Cyclone
Chrom: The Twin Falchions, a sword combo from both Chrom and Lucina
Roy: Sealed Inferno, an alternate styled Critical Hit that shoots a huge wave of fire along the ground to deal damage.
Robin: Expiration, transforms into Grima and shoots out his main attack, Expiration, onto the screen
Tetra: Pirate Invasion, her crew invades the screen and starts doing random things, like picking up and throwing opponents off the edge and planting bombs.
Takamaru: Murasame Lightning, causes powerful lightning bolts to rain down onto the screen
Pac-Man: Power Pellet, turns opponents blue and insta-KOs them by eating them by turning into Classic Pac-Man

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Turns out no one responded to this yesterday, so I'll post it again for those who didn't see it. Thoughts/Opinions?

Well, this started as just a graphical update, but I wanted to run these by you guys. I have three rosters here. The first one is my current one with a graphical update.
[Collapse=Roster 1]
[/Collapse]

The next roster is a "we get a more surprising retro" situation (a la Melee, where the Ice Climbers were chosen due to gameplay potential, unlike when Pit was picked for popularity).

[Collapse=Roster 2]
[/Collapse]

The next is a less likely scenario: what if Sakurai feels that Little Mac (a pseudo-retro a la Pit) and Mega Man (who deliberately used a retro look) are enough, and doesn't add a new retro? This roster follows this scenario.

[Collapse=Roster 3]
[/Collapse]

Basically, which do you find the most/least likely? Which is your favorite/least favorite?

andimidna

Smash Master
People who think Snake isn't returning.
Ah well, if you want my opinion, I think removing them would be a good diea.
Well Sheik was added as a part of Zelda so she could be a unique transforming character. Ganondorf, while a Gerudo, is still Ganon. Young Link is kinda like the original Link, since all of the Links pre-OoT appeared very young.
I think the way characters are decided by kinda varies per-franchise. I mean, it's not like Pokémon is going to get Ditto because he can transform into any Pokémon and be incredibly unique that way. Ditto isn't what you'd call a "hot" Pokémon. I imagine the Zelda franchise would be put in a similar situation, but not with characters that are considered "hot" (Otherwise we would have seen Skull Kid / Zant / Midna / Vaati / etc. playable in previous games). It would be a logical way to think about why one-shots like Ghirahim haven't been playable before.
Not saying it's a problem, just having a tough time personally imagining Blastoise movin' around. But that's just me.
Well the issue is that Duo Characters are Duos because, they are unique for some reason.
• Ice Climbers are both the same character (essentially), and their moves are effected by both of them being present at the same time (Ex: All of their Specials have two variations with and without the other Climber, which varies in function, usability, and overall power. This concept is also a major part of their general attacks as well).
• Rosalina and Luma are two separate characters that focus on moving away from each other to cover more ground. They both have individual movesets and can do combos together that involve juggling an opponent between each other (as shown in Rosalina's trailer against Pit).
The problem with Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong specifically is that it just seems forced, especially after Diddy was alone in Brawl. The concept was that they wouldn't be attacking together, but instead you have a Zelda / Sheik like transforming character, except they don't transform. They just switch positions from Foreground to Background. I wouldn't find this as big of a problem as it already is if it wasn't from you Chrom and Lucina tag team, which is generally thought to have the exact same concept. Which is why I see a problem with both of them being together.

Yes this is true, but do not forget that this is still a Nintendo crossover first. Sakurai was very clear during Brawl that after Snake, he would probably add in an additional two third-party characters at most. So, 5 characters is pretty steep expectation-wise.
Well I mean if they could include this many characters, why would Sakurai go out of his way to admitting that the development team wouldn't be able to include all of the playable characters from the previous Smash installments?

Just doesn't seem right to me.
Sounds good!

Skull Kid, Zant, Midna, and Vaati weren't in Brawl because they weren't going to have 6 Zelda characters and Toon Zelda was their 5th choice. There isn't any evidence to support they don't want to add "hot" characters. But this time around, they haven't released 2 major home console Zeldas. And they've only represented TP and WW so far. So far, they've picked 3 "less-speculated characters" that weren't considered likely, and a 3rd party character. It's not like all of the major characters that got added in 64, Melee, and Brawl. So if there was any time for this to happen, it would make sense that it would be now. And with that last thing, are you saying I should bring back Roy, Young Link, Pichu, and Dr. Mario just because I have 53 characters (soon to be 50)?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Oh okay, so then let me think on a couple...

Mario: Should be reworked to use the Mega Mushroom and stomp opponents into the ground
Luigi: Something Luigi's Mansion based, or maybe even an army of Luigis to show a nod to Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, the game Luigi was advertising on his addition (Needs to be something cheerful, Negative Zone is too depressing for the Year of Luigi 2.0)
Kirby: The Ultra Sword from Kirby's Return to Dreamland
King Dedede: Masked Dedede
Pit: The Three Divine Treasures, his old final smash goes to Palutena
R.O.B: Gyromite, a Giant ROB appears in the background and crushes opponents by stacking huge gyros
Snake: If Naked Snake, should change overall final smash weaponry to something more 1960s esque. Or maybe use Volgin's Nuclear rocket launcher.
Sonic: Super Sonic should be able to dash attack
Jigglypuff: Already designed the design of Uproar, a multi-blast soundwave attack that will get stronger by mashing the B button
Mewtwo: Psystrike, his signature move

For newcomers:

MegaMan: Rush Adaptor with Super Rocket Punch
Rosalina: The Comet Observatory Lightspeed jump (From the end of Super Mario Galaxy before the final level)
Villager: Summons bees and hides in a house
Ridley: Omega-Ridley transformation
King K.Rool: Either the Blast-O-Matic or cannon bombardment from the Gangplank Galleon.
Shulk: Monado Cyclone
Chrom: The Twin Falchions, a sword combo from both Chrom and Lucina
Roy: Sealed Inferno, an alternate styled Critical Hit that shoots a huge wave of fire along the ground to deal damage.
Robin: Expiration, transforms into Grima and shoots out his main attack, Expiration, onto the screen
Tetra: Pirate Invasion, her crew invades the screen and starts doing random things, like picking up and throwing opponents off the edge and planting bombs.
Takamaru: Murasame Lightning, causes powerful lightning bolts to rain down onto the screen
Pac-Man: Power Pellet, turns opponents blue and insta-KOs them by eating them by turning into Classic Pac-Man
I do agree with Luigi needing something that actually references the games. Same with Dedede and Mewtwo, it would fit them more. Palutena taking over Pit's old Final Smash makes sense.

But I feel that Mario's current Final Smash just needs to be buffed some more. Since in many games, Mario is associated with fire, it would make sense for him to use fire in his Final Smash. Same with Kirby, he loves food so using Cook makes some sense.

Turns out no one responded to this yesterday, so I'll post it again for those who didn't see it. Thoughts/Opinions?
Your roster looks fine to me. Filled with mostly solid choices. And I'm glad to see you went with your own choice as far as retros go. But if were talking how nice the pictures are, they seems fine too. But Chrom's seems oddly too flat. It would be fine if it was is official art, that way it can still mesh in well.

andimidna

Smash Master
(+) are good, (-) are bad, (0) are neutral

Characers:
If Dixie got in I see it more likely to be a costume or some part of Diddy Kong, not saying that she couldn't be her own character, just less likely IMO (+)

K. Rool > Seperate Dixie > Cranky Kong (-)

Link is never getting a tag-team for countless reasons. Original 8, main character of one the best Nintendo franchises, Mida was only in one game while link was in all of them (-)

Toon Zelda > Impa > Vaati > Girahim is how I can reasonably see it (-)

Ridley yay, but that's still kinda in the air based on the stage (0)

Krystal is the next logical choice for Starfox (+)

Palutena as always is the obvious pic (+)

Kalos Trainer I guess would be next in line over Red/Pokemon Trainer, but it still seems unlikely especially since the 3 gen 1 starters got in gen 6 (-)

Mewtwo (+)

Chrom and Lucina is interesting, but I don't think it's very likely (-)

Shulk is a very popular choice (+)

Saki is an interesting one, but I see him more as a maybe for smash 5. (-)

Little Mac is highly requested (+)

Takamaru is IMO the next logical retro (+)

Lip is iffy, only reason I see her is because of her item being in (0)

Pac-Man due to Namco Bandai (+)

I REALLY can't see Bayonetta getting into smash as of now, although I wouldn't be dumbfounded (-)

The Decision:
All together you scored an solid +1 congrats! I would be mostly happy with your character choices some odd balls for sure in the line up though. I don't think there will be as many newcomers as you added though.

Format:
6 x 9 won't happen it's too clogged up (-)

moving olimar away from the other lone reps is a bad idea (-)

your line up on top is good for the most part (+)

the retros a re mostly well placed (+)

3rd party's are together (+)

game & watch in FE column instead of takamaru (-)

The Decision:
All together you scored a solid 0. Hey it may have some flaws, but it evens out.

The Result: Your character list looks very fun, but not very likely and your formatting needs some work
You scored a +1 congrats it's positive!
I'm honestly not going to consider this because I disagree with so much of it. PS Samus was an original character, and got ZSS in Brawl. I'm hoping for the same type of transformation. It's TP Link, this is what TP Link does, he doesn't do some freakin "Triforce Slash"! What was with that?! I disagree with adding K Rool, Toon Zelda, Impa, and Vaati... a lot. G&W should be inbetween ICs and ROB. The only legitimate format complaint I could see being made is my Earthbound reps are horizontal and every other series is vertical. I don't see them adding Chrom, Lucina, or Dixie and making them interesting enough compared to the unique newcomers so far. Sakurai likes Panel de Pon. I've been unsure about the addition of Lip, Krystal, and Saki.

D

Deleted member

Shadow Claw didn't even exist when Melee came out.
And even then, Mewtwo's F-air isn't slashing people, it's just swiping them with a hand covered in dark energy. It just uses a slashing sound, like how Zamus' U-air uses a slashing sound when she's doing a flipkick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom