• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The pin was an acknowledgement of Retro's earlier franchise. How does a PIN signal a game is being made now?
The game clearly isn't in the stage to be revealed to the public, even if it is in development. You can't expect Nintendo to show a game when there is nothing to show.
Reggie went there himself, I mean, he's only the President of NoA, can he not make decisions for the company himself now?
A "PIN" can signal a game being made if the company doesn't want to announce it and isn't ready to, but one person who knows it is what people want would like to hint at it.

I don't expect Nintendo to show Metroid yet, since there probably isn't much to show. That's why Reggie hinted at it. He technically didn't say anything, so he can't get in trouble for announcing something too early.

He probably can't make decisions for the company as a whole. His position is to be the head of what gets in America and what doesn't. He can't decide for himself he wants to show something new. If he wanted too, he would have to talk to Iwata, and Iwata probably told him to announce Cranky, because dudebroes be lovin' dat Cranky Kong.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Let's make a poll. Do you want Moonside to be a stage in Smash Bros.? Yes or no?
Quite a lot, but that's probably better off in the stage thread.

Yeah but the roster was finalized years before it came out herpaderp.

And the only logical reason Sakurai would add a new protagonist before a past character or MAIN ANTAGONIST OF THE SERIES would be for muh recency purposes.
Or because he's wanted him since Melee, and his game was already gaining popularity like previous iterations, and Giygas could've very well not even been seen as feasible by Sakurai, I wouldn't blame him. He isn't really that feasible.

Plus he makes an easy addition being a semi-clone. It's muh recency as much as Olimar and Ike were, who were included for reasons other than recency but were both coincidentally recent, at least compared to the other characters.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
or because the new character offers something that Sakurai sees in him. :)
Thanks for the herpaderp, glad to see we can have a friendly debate. :ohwell:
Sorry, you misunderstood my herpaderp.
It was not mocking you, it was supposed to be mocking all the people that say the roster is finalized many years before the games release, when Sakurai probably leaves a few spots open to consider events closer to release.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Game Freak just cares about having their most marketable Pokemon in Smash. As long as Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, and Mewtwo in they're fine. Besides, Sakurai has the final say, if he doesn't want a new Pokemon there won't be one.
which means they could want to push their next big thing, of course sakurai has to ok it, but i dont think he would be against any interesting potential if presented with it.

It seems many just expect pokemon representation to remain exactly the same only with mewtwo, when i honestly dont think it will be that cut and dry. Im just curious how they will handle pokemon trainer.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Quite a lot, but that's probably better off in the stage thread.

Or because he's wanted him since Melee, and his game was already gaining popularity like previous iterations, and Giygas could've very well not even been seen as feasible by Sakurai, I wouldn't blame him. He isn't really that feasible.

Plus he makes an easy addition being a semi-clone. It's muh recency as much as Olimar and Ike were, who were included for reasons other than recency but were both coincidentally recent, at least compared to the other characters.
This may just be personal bias, but if I were Sakurai, I would see it to be more logical if Ness came first, than Porky or Giygas (in his Mewtwo-esque Mother 1 form)

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
It was not mocking you, it was supposed to be mocking all the people that say the roster is finalized many years before the games release, when Sakurai probably leaves a few spots open to consider events closer to release.
thats not how game design works, many foundations and major assets are laid in place early on. You dont just leave big gaping wholes in case you want to fill them, especially when balance is involved, delays would have to happen if there were major problems. I highly doubt hes waiting till the last minute to include things.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai had the roster finalized in 2005 with the exception of Sonic (according to him). He didn't leave any spots open to fill closer to release, that'd be a fairly inefficient way of doing things. In fact he originally planned more characters than he had time to include.

This may just be personal bias, but if I were Sakurai, I would see it to be more logical if Ness came first, than Porky or Giygas (in his Mewtwo-esque Mother 1 form)
I'd say it is personal bias to suggest a supporting character over a more popular protagonist. You don't see people wanting Caeda above Ike.

Especially since Porky didn't become that important in the series (and certainly not popular) until Mother 3 and Giygas has always been of questionable feasibility.

I guess you missed the joke.
That I did, forgot about that, but still, considering it did get answers, I guess I'd just be cautious about unintentionally starting off topic discussion.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There's one thing I think people overlook when it comes to recency.

Sakurai is always looking for characters to add for Smash, and this time is no different. For some reason, being a new character is branded as a bad thing around these parts. But I'm here to say it isn't.

Basically, there are many, many characters who have been overlooked in Smash Bros at this point. Sakurai always weighs his options. New characters are a delicacy when it comes to Smash. They're unexplored characters that Sakurai can research and experiment with. If he sees something he likes, then that character will get in.

See, all recency does for a character is get them noticed. Sakurai will take interest in characters based on numerous factors, not just whether they are new or not.

Being recent on it's own doesn't do anything. It's what they represent, and if they can interest Sakurai. Some new characters can manage that, some other may not. That's basically it.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Which would be? There new big thing right now are the mega evolutions, I think they would want that represented rather than a brand new Pokemon.
definitely, and that could be incorporated in the existing pokemon that can change, but i just dont think we can rule out a new one entirely. And yeah i dont know what one they would choose so i cant say which one.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Sakurai had the roster finalized in 2005 with the exception of Sonic (according to him). He didn't leave any spots open to fill closer to release, that'd be a fairly inefficient way of doing things. In fact he originally planned more characters than he had time to include.

I'd say it is personal bias to suggest a supporting character over a more popular protagonist. You don't see people wanting Caeda above Ike.

Especially since Porky didn't become that important in the series (and certainly not popular) until Mother 3 and Giygas has always been of questionable feasibility.

That I did, forgot about that, but still, considering it did get answers, I guess I'd just be cautious about unintentionally starting off topic discussion.
You know what?
Chances are that we are both wrong.

Sakurai probably has a completely different mindset than any of us on here know.

He seems to be full of surprises this time around for Smash.

Though if I had to take a guess, I'd say the roster was finalized late 2012 or early 2013, lates being spring 2013, since the game started development around Spring 2012 (and that is just starting development).
If he did happen to finalize it around this time last year, who would know about many things. Any big project they are planning but still didn't announce today, he could have taken into consideration.

Also, apparently someone agrees with me in Iwata.
http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/17/its-time-for-iwata-to-step-down-from-nintendo-opinion/

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Sorry about that, guess I should have made it more clear that it was a joke.
definitely, and that could be incorporated in the existing pokemon that can change, but i just dont think we can rule out a new one entirely. And yeah i dont know what one they would choose so i cant say which one.
There really isn't any new Pokemon worth adding. The only new Pokemon being advertised are the legendaries which aren't even feasible.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You know what?

Sakurai probably has a completely different mindset than any of us on here know.

Though if I had to take a guess, I'd say the roster was finalized late 2012 or early 2013, lates being spring 2013, since the game started development around Spring 2012 (and that is just starting development).
If he did happen to finalize it around this time last year, who would know about many things. Any big project they are planning but still didn't announce today, he could have taken into consideration.
If Sakurai expresses his mindset, which is to make finalizing the planned roster one of the initial priorities, then we do know what it is. It's not like he's left that to speculation like many other things, he's previously said that's among the very first things he does with Smash as the roster is so central to the game.

Ofc there have been exceptions like Sonic and Melee clones, but a character like Porky certainly isn't worth throwing off the whole development schedule. There are very few who are.

There have been people calling for Iwata to step down for a few years already. He does some things well but he doesn't get the west at all.

Sorry about that, guess I should have made it more clear that it was a joke.
No worries. ^_^

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
If Sakurai expresses his mindset, which is to make finalizing the planned roster one of the initial priorities, then we do know what it is. It's not like he's left that to speculation like many other things, he's previously said that's among the very first things he does with Smash as the roster is so central to the game.

Ofc there have been exceptions like Sonic and Melee clones, but a character like Porky certainly isn't worth throwing off the whole development schedule.

There have been people calling for Iwata to step down for a few years already. He does some things well but he doesn't get the west at all.
I know.
I am just in denial of the fact that we most likely won't see Porky as a playable character.
*sigh*

And as for Iwata, the thing about the west is what bothers me about him, considering the west is the majority of gamers

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I know.
I am just in denial of the fact that we most likely won't see Porky as a playable character.
*sigh*
If Porky played like Guilty Gear Xrd's Bedman I'd love it. That's not likely.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Well, I am packing it in for the night.

See (err., post to?) you all tomorrow, unless we all die or something:laugh:!

:lick: This is my new favorite smily,

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Glad to see this thread isn't in another flame war since I cut the last one off.

Never thought it would work, but it did. Imagine that.

Morbi

Scavenger
There's one thing I think people overlook when it comes to recency.

Sakurai is always looking for characters to add for Smash, and this time is no different. For some reason, being a new character is branded as a bad thing around these parts. But I'm here to say it isn't.

Basically, there are many, many characters who have been overlooked in Smash Bros at this point. Sakurai always weighs his options. New characters are a delicacy when it comes to Smash. They're unexplored characters that Sakurai can research and experiment with. If he sees something he likes, then that character will get in.

See, all recency does for a character is get them noticed. Sakurai will take interest in characters based on numerous factors, not just whether they are new or not.

Being recent on it's own doesn't do anything. It's what they represent, and if they can interest Sakurai. Some new characters can manage that, some other may not. That's basically it.
A good example of this notion, Rosalina. :smirk:

You know what?

Also, apparently someone agrees with me in Iwata.
http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/17/its-time-for-iwata-to-step-down-from-nintendo-opinion/
Yes, using precedent is always a feasible way to formulate speculation, but that precedent can sometimes become stagnant. We aren't entirely sure about his intent for Smash 4. We can only really refer to the past in an attempt to predict the future. Obviously it is frivolous to try and determine what will happen objectively.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking, it appears as if most essential Nintendo All-Stars have already been included. Take a look at the message board below this topic. All the characters are mostly minor or retro. It's not so clear who has the better chance to become a fighter

After SSB4 is released I think the possible characters for SSB5 will be so obscure. There won't be many left that could make an impact as Wario, Pit, Meta Knight, Diddy King or Olimar would. I wonder what will happen

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I wonder if I can trick anyone into thinking that this is a picture from Smash Bros. Also his proportions here are perfect for Smash.

Attachments

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I was thinking, it appears as if most essential Nintendo All-Stars have already been included. Take a look at the message board below this topic. All the characters are mostly minor or retro. It's not so clear who has the better chance to become a fighter

After SSB4 is released I think the possible characters for SSB5 will be so obscure. There won't be many left that could make an impact as Wario, Pit, Meta Knight, Diddy King or Olimar would. I wonder what will happen
Nintendo could make new series they bother promoting so they actually have a fair chance to succeed commercially once they hit the market and could flesh out existing dormant/minor series so additions in future games wouldn't feel like scraping the bottom of the barrel (or getting pretty close to).

Crazy, I know. :dizzy:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I wonder if I can trick anyone into thinking that this is a picture from Smash Bros. Also his proportions here are perfect for Smash.
This is what the Pic if he's a stage hazard WILL LIKELY look like, however. And yes, they are. :troll:

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
Nintendo could make new series they bother promoting so they actually have a fair chance to succeed commercially once they hit the market and could flesh out existing dormant/minor series so additions in future games wouldn't feel like scraping the bottom of the barrel (or getting pretty close to).

Crazy, I know. :dizzy:
tumblr_lq2u0cmb2s1qii6tmo1_500.gif

Miyamotos IP better hurry

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054

Once you have all the essentials, there will be new series for characters to be created, or new characters in the existing series, to make playable. Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina are both good examples of this. There is of course Retro characters that could last for a while, and 3rd party characters could start stacking up. There's plenty of 3rd parties that have a lot to do with Nintendo, or have in the past, such as Konami, Capcom, Hudson, Ubisoft, etc.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
Guys problem solved. Imma make a game and have nintendo publish it. New character. :troll:

I'm actually serious. This is one of my biggest desires and dreams atm

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Guys problem solved. Imma make a game and have nintendo publish it. New character. :troll:

I'm actually serious. This is one of my biggest desires and dreams atm
I too have dreamed of making a game on a Nintendo platform. Though, making it exclusive for them probably wouldn't be the best strategy to do money-making wise.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Silly corey.

Nintendo doesn't even know what promotion is. They think its a myth.
More like every promotion ever is...
-Has to have old people and really young people
-Repeating the name of the console many times
-Annoying as hell sound imports
-Some Sort of Mario reference in 50% of them
-Teenagers saying things that sound cheesy and ham-fisted

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
If I had a dream to develop a game, it wouldn't be for Nintendo. I would rather make one for M$.
I'd personally join Comcept and work with Inafune. He's pretty much one of the few people in the industry that I respect.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Those solutions still don't hide the fact the the new additions are going to be obscure and won't create hype or interest. Plus we all know they can't just add third party fighters all willy-nilly

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Those solutions still don't hide the fact the the new additions are going to be obscure and won't create hype or interest. Plus we all know they can't just add third party fighters all willy-nilly
Palutena? Mewtwo? Little Mac? Megaman? Those are some pretty damn hyped potential and confirmed newcomers (at least where I live)

Lol them mircotransactions eh? you want them $$$$$$$$$$$$$ instead of pleasing fans amirite?
And THIS is why I don't like Microsoft. Damn Nuts and Bolts.

Morbi

Scavenger
Black Shadow would create hype and interest... if not only because everyone would assume he imputed Falcondorf's move-set. :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom