• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hey! I like Ivysaur... I abuse my enemies with her Bullet Seed. :smirk:

Otherwise, all three Kanto starters can go to hell... bring on the Johto starters, the Hoenn starters, or even the Kalos starters! :awesome:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Impa-
I don't think the Shiekah will be recieving two characters, so Shiek would need to be cut. They would definitely have a similar moveset. But I don't think that's a major point, I've never seen a roster where Impa was added but Shiek was cut. Impa supporters always cut Shiek. Which is a bad idea. Sheik is actually the more well-known character, despite game appearances. And has continued to be a complete success, she is very popular amongst SSB fans AND Zelda fans. Impa doesn't have the popularity Shiek has even as a Zelda character. And Impa has never been in Smash Bros, so Sheik wins there too. Plus, Sheik doesn't take up a slot. It's what makes Zelda unique. Zelda is the only unique Zelda character in Smash Bros. Link and Toon Link have only one different move aside from gravity/speed. Ganondorf, for some reason, is still a clone of Captain Falcon (hopefully this will not be the case this time around, Sage Sword ftw). Young Link was a complete clone of Link. It's sad. All the characters were a the bottom of the tier list at "**** level" right next to Jigglypuff. Shiek was mid-low. Toon Link was mid-high. But isn't it time for something new? Something we can actually call new? Impa would not feel like a newcomer, and would not be very accepted as it would most likely mean either:
1. The removal of Shiek
2. She'd be a semi-clone of a transformation.
I don't see how Sakurai could make them unique enough. They are supposed to fight the same, that's the point of Sheik. Impa taught her all of her moves. If they fought differently, that would be a bit odd. And the only move Impa ever really does is that blue... thing. From Skyward Sword... the blue thing that Ghirahim breaks... it was like, a shield? Other than that, she makes portals.

Toon Zelda-
While I'm talking about new additions and adding things that are new, it makes sense to talk about why I don't like the idea of Toon Zelda in Smash Bros. Toon Link was added in Brawl, and was a semi-clone. Toon Link returns in Smash 4, as a semi-clone. Hmmm... yet people speculate, that if Toon Zelda were added, for some reason... she'd be freakin' unique?! No! Toon Link is the main protagonist with a full separate moveset from Twilight Princess Link, including various items not seen in any other Zelda game. None of which are part of Twilight Princess Link's moveset. Yet, with all the uniqueness available to him, he ended up... a clone. Whereas Toon Zelda has... light arrows. Which is Zelda's Final Smash. Hmmm... and before we try to put something in her moveset from Spirit Tracks, we must remember, Spirit Tracks Zelda is an Assist Trophy. So, the Phantom can't be a part of her for sure now. But what people like to include Toon Zelda with is...
Tetra-
I've also seen many people saying Toon Link and Toon Zelda should be clones, but Tetra should be unique. Basically the only argument for this character is their data in Brawl. But let's look back at the names of the data, and see if there's anything odd. So there's a file for Toon Zelda, which is normal, all transformation characters had separate files. And then we look at Tetra's file.... hm... none of these say Tetra... they say TOON SHEIK. That's it, right there. They were going to be added as clones to Zelda and Sheik in Brawl, yet it was scrapped. And in theory, could you imagine a short, not so thin character trying to replicate Sheik's moveset? Zelda/Sheik's moveset is based off the Power/Agility gimmick. They have both sides, and Sheik works that way because she's thin, tall, and... basically a ninja. Pirates aren't ninjas. I just can't see Tetra jumping around like Sheik. And I can't see a Toon Character less significant than Toon Link, NOT be a clone, when Toon Link is one.

Vaati-
He's a villain in 3 Zelda games. Sounds like a worthy acheivement, until you look more in-depth.

Title Sales
(in Millions)
1987 NES Legend of Zelda 6.51
1988 NES Zelda II: Adventure of Link 4.38
1992 SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 4.61
1993 GB The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 3.83
1998 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 7.6
1998 GBC The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX 2.22
2000 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3.36
2001 GBC The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons 3.96
2001 GBC The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages 3.96
2002 GBA The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords 2.7
2003 GC The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 4.6
2004 GC The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures 0.81
2004 GBA The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap 1.42
2006 Wii / GC The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Wii: 6.8
GC: 1.59
Total: 8.39
2007 DS The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 4.96
2007 Wii Link's Crossbow Training 4.8
2009 DS The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

2011 3DS The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D 3.1
2011 DS The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition
2011 Wii The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 3.69
2013 3DS The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 0.51

There are a few things to notice here. Four Swords Adventures is the only Zelda game (that didn't come out 3 months ago) to not reach 1 million sales. This was the only one of Vaati's appearances made by Nintendo. The other two were made by Capcom. Yep, Capcom. His debut AND his most recent appearance. I added up those 3 sales #s. I got 4.93, which just barely beats the tiny spin-off game: Link's Crossbow Training, and just loses to Phantom Hourglass. Heck, that's only slightly better than half of Twilight Princess's sales. Yikes. The best selling of the 3 is Four Swords, but it didn't even get it's own box, but was shred with a re-release of A LInk to the Past, which is probably what lead to it being the most successful of the 3. Minish Cap is the next worst selling Zelda game. Beat by Zelda II, Link's Awakening DX, the GC version of Twilight Princess, Link's Crossbow Training, and Ocarina of Time 3d. I'm not sure why there's nothing listed for the Anniversary Edition, if anybody knows why it might not have a sale-count, feel free to tell me, but I doubt it sold astoundingly, it was released inbetween the 3d remake of what's considered the best Zelda game of all time, and the new, unique game everybody was hyping about at the time, Skyward Sword, which didn't do as bad as I thought it would, considering the Wii was pretty much DONE by 2010. I mean, like every console, it eventually became old news. However, once again, I have to point out how funny it is, that Link's Crossbow Training beat so many of these. Ok, I just said Ocarina was considered the best, let's look at reviews before I give my conclusion.
NOTE: I used the first source I found for all of these. Look these things up, and this is what you'll find first, I'm sure, like all games there are mixed reviews, but I'm just going to copy and paste the table from Wikipedia.

Aggregate review scores
As of October 5, 2013.
Game GameRankings Metacritic
The Legend of Zelda (NES) 83.87%[102]
(GBA) 79.02%[103] (GBA) 84[104]
The Adventure of Link (NES) 78.14%[105]
(GBA) 68.88%[106] (GBA) 73[107]
A Link to the Past (SNES) 92.87%[108]
(GBA) 91.74%[109] (GBA) 95[110]
Link's Awakening (GBC) 91.21%[111]
(GB) 89.82%[112]
Ocarina of Time (N64) 97.54%[113]
(3DS) 93.96%[114]
(GC) 89.77%[115] (N64) 99[116]
(3DS) 94[117]
(GC) 91[118]
Majora's Mask (N64) 91.95%[119] (N64) 95[120]
Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages (Ages) 92.20%[121]
(Seasons) 91.37%[122]
The Wind Waker (GC) 94.43%[123]
(Wii U) 91.10%[124] (GC) 96[125]
(Wii U) 90[126]
Four Swords (NDS) 85.40%[127] (NDS) 85[128]
Four Swords Adventures (GC) 84.51%[129] (GC) 86[130]
The Minish Cap (GBA) 90.36%[131] (GBA) 89[132]
Twilight Princess (GC) 95.00%[133]
(Wii) 94.58%[134] (GC) 96[135]
(Wii) 95[136]
Phantom Hourglass (NDS) 88.82%[137] (NDS) 90[138]
Spirit Tracks (NDS) 87.05%[139] (NDS) 87[140]
Skyward Sword (Wii) 93.25%[141] (Wii) 93[142]
A Link Between Worlds (3DS) 91.50%[143] (3DS) 91[144]

Sorry that the table pasted weird... hm...
Anyways, here we see the popular Zelda games like Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker get amazing scores. But handheld Zeldas... not so much. Zelda II, of course, was rated the lowest. Miyamoto said himself it was the game he made that he wished he could have made better (something like that). And then the original (they probably don't factor nostalgia in reviews, so this shouldn't be very surprising). Then Four Swords Adventures. Which, once again, is the one of the 3 that Nintendo made. You can make some other observations with this data. (Minish Cap did pretty well) But overall...

I've been trying to prove these are 3 of the least significant Zelda games. And are only considered popular/ successful if they're compared to a less popular/successful series. All Zelda games get an extra push for having a large amount of fans, but these 3 in particular, don't really hold up with the rest.

Now, maybe you are convinced that these 3 Zelda games weren't that big of a deal. Well, you might have already known this, but Vaati was not playable, not an assist, didn't have a trophy, didn't have a sticker, wasn't a stage hazard... in Brawl. He did not make a single appearance... in Brawl. Now, these 3 Zelda games were released in 2002, 2004, and 2004. Brawl was released in 2008. He had 3 appearance before Brawl and achieved absolutely nothing. Now, all he has is this Anniversary Edition thing. Which I'm guessing is like a remake or some sort of DLC. Now, do you think that this 1 anniversary edition is more of an achievement than 3 full games? I don't. There are many more Zelda titles and remakes Sakurai has to represent this time around. Releases have been coming quicker. I honestly would not be surprised if they completely ignore these games again, and don't even make him a sticker. Considering he's only had a 2d model, a sticker for Vaati would be so easy to make, but i wouldn't count on it happening. Just like all of the unimportant side-character trophies from TP and WW in Brawl (Agitha, Ashei, Aryll, Great Fairy, Medli) we can expect ones mainly from Skyward Sword, Spirit Tracks, and Ocarina of Time 3d (Saria is already confirmed, and is the only one confirmed). PLUS, we have Twilight Princess and Wind Waker models returning from Brawl, so all of those trophies will probably return on the Wii U version along with their stages: Bridge of Eldin and Pirate Ship.
That right there is a lot of Zelda representation. There are many games at higher priority. Vaati being a trophy may even be a stretch, I don't think he has a chance of becoming playable just because he holds the title "2nd most important villain of the series".

Tingle- Believe or not, this guy doesn't do as well on Japanese polls as you think. Since he is currently pretty hated in the West, people always just say "he's popular in Japan". I've recently been told that's not so true, however I have no source, so this is not a strong point, sorry.
Tingle's appearances in Zelda games spread across about... 5 years. He came in to the series in 2000, and has been reduced to easter eggs after 2004.
Tingle was in Majora's Mask, he sold you maps and had balloons, cool.
Tingle has a minor appearance in Oracle of Ages. He does two minor things. And is just floating there, the whole time.
Tingle, for the first time, has a major role. in the Wind Waker. This was his only prominent appearance in the Zelda series.
Tingle had a weird, somewhat antagonistic role in Four Swords Adventures. He only appeared in that section. And has his balloon again.
Tingle was in Minish Cap. You can fuse kinstones with him, just like basically every NPC in the game. Then you never have to re-visit him.
These games all came out in 2000-2004. Let's take a look at all of his appearances in the Zelda series after then.
There is a poster with Tingle on it in a Milk Bar in Phantom Hourglass, but he's not physically in the game.
There is a statue in a Castle Town Shop of Tingle in Spirit Tracks, but he's not physically in the game.
There is a doll of Tingle in Skyward Sword in Zelda's Room, which is actually pretty hard to get to, and once again he wasn't physically in the game.
Hmm... this seems like, his role now in Zelda games? Something for you to find, but he doesn't actually appear? This is honestly why I think he has no real future in the Zelda series.
Now, lets talk moveset. Tingle has balloons. That could be his up special, just like Villager. It wouldn't be that interesting since it has already been done, but it would work. Now, all he has left, are maps and charts. I don't think Tingle should run around making that weird noice and start hitting people with maps. HOWEVER, he could receive his own moveset from his own series. Now let's look at Mario. 5 characters.... and 4 characters that started in the Mario series yet progressed to their own series. I believe Yoshi and Tingle have a similar amount of games. I can see Tingle being added, as a Tingle character, not a Zelda character. Let's look at his own series, but first:
Yes, I skipped Wind Waker HD. It's just a remake. And we already received Toon Link for it. I'm not sure Wind Waker HD really helps his chances, but it might've if it did better.
Ok, Tingle series. I've never played a single game, here is what I found.
Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland[1] is an action-adventure that was originally released in Japan on September 2, 2006. It was released roughly a year later in Europe. It was never released in North America, possibly because of Tingle's poorer reception in the west and potentially due to having more sexual themes than most Nintendo published games. There was an official poll on whether the game would be released in North America, so release was potentially considered at some point.[2]

Tingle's Balloon Fight DS is a bonus game that has only been made available through Club Nintendo in Japan. It is a Tingle-themed remake of Balloon Fight, a well-known NES game.
The first mode of play is mode A, "1 Player Game", which is the original Balloon Fight mode, in which the player takes control of Tingle to play through ninety-nine arcade-like stages, or 'phases'. After this mode is complete, the phases start over again from phase 00.
The second mode of play is mode B, "2-4 Players Game", which is a multiplayer version of mode A, in which two to four players can partake in the Balloon Fight. The game supports DS Download Play to allow multiplayer play with as little as one cartridge.
The third and final mode of play is mode C, "Balloon Trip", where the player controls Tingle as he navigates a course of obstacles, trying to collect rupees. This mode features a side-scrolling stage. Tingle's Balloon Fight DS features a gallery in the options menu, where twenty pieces of artwork can be unlocked. These are unlocked upon the player gaining high-scores, and completing certain modes of play. Also in the options menu is the option to switch the sound effects and music to the originals from Balloon Fight, and the option to select the amount of lives Tingle has in game mode A, from one to six.

Note that: these both didn't reach the west. And Tingle's balloons are being compared to Balloon Fighter's, which is the design Villager's are based off in Smash Bros.

Too Much Tingle Pack is a Tingle DSiWare app. It includes several applications like a calculator, a little dancing Tingle image, a fortune teller, a timer, and a coin-flipping minigame. The game can be downloaded for 500 Nintendo Points. It is currently only available in Japan, as DSiWare is region-locked.

Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love[1] is a game for the Nintendo DS. It is the third game starring Tingle and shares its visual style with Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland. Rather than money, as in the previous series installment, this game's theme are women.

Note that: WAIT. WHAT. HE COLLECTS WOMEN?! Hmmm... note that both of these are also Japan-only.

Well, I'm not sure what to say here. I don't think he's as big of a Zelda character as people say. But his creepy Japan only games could make for a hilarious fighter that wouldn't take up the slot I am discussing.

Twinrova- She was a boss in Ocarina of Time. Then, for some reason, a shop owner in Majora's Mask. And did the same thing in both Oracle games. Almost counts as one game and not 2. I don't see many talking about her. I just thought she deserved a mention for being recurring. She'd have a sick moveset. But she can easily be considered pretty obscure. In fact, SonicToast just did a Zelda poll. It had 26 characters, but no Twinrova. If your curious, the top 6 were 1. Ghirahim, 2. Midna, 3. Toon Zelda, 4. Navi, 5. Wolf Link, 6. Young Link. It's hard to tell from the video, but it looks like Vaati got about 10th, Tingle got about 13th, and Impa got around 18th. (Some of this is assumption based off what the ranking were when I voted 5 days before it closed, so it may not be fully accurate, but I doubt anybody had any major changes, it seemed pretty spread out.)

EDIT: Hooray! My longest message is my 100th! Time to celebrate by continuing to always do nothing!
You do seem to forget one major thing about Vaati's games, they were both critically acclaimed and gained awards. Minish Cap was named the 20th best Game Boy Advance Game in an IGN feature and was selected the 2005 GBA Game of the year by Gamespot. Four Swords Adventures was considered the 48th-best game ever made on a Nintendo system by Nintendo Power, and received an aggregated 86 out of 100 from Metacritic. It is also the third-best selling game of June 2004 in North America, with 155,000 units, and has since sold 250,000 copies. It has also sold 127,000 units in Japan. Four Swords also got itself an anniversary edition too and Minish Cap was a 3DS ambassador

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai does not need any more Zelda characters. Sakurai especially does not need any more cartoon versions of any existing characters. There are only two Links because Link has always been featured as a child or an adult in his games. Technically, the only other revision allowed in this regard would be Paper Mario, since that version of Mario has its own series of games and isn't just one-off. I myself would love if Skull Kid were playable but clearly he is too one-off and that has to be accepted.

The only other Zelda characters Sakurai could possibly add to stay true to the series' recurring cast would be Impa & Ganon. Depending on which version of Impa they choose, she may inherit Shiek's move-set if she is young or a new move-set, if for some odd reason Sakurai chooses old woman Impa. Clearly, Sakurai would chose a design based on Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword for a fighting game. Ganon also has a chance because its Ganon's other version, how he appears in the classic games. He would use his trident, have dark magic and have fire magic.

Overall, Sakurai already has the most essential Zelda characters and doesn't need anymore. Honestly, most series already are well represented and have hit the limit for newcomers at this point

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Pic of the Day: When Asley joins the battle, Jimmy T takes over as the Assist Trophy.
Jimmy T: Leave it to me!! Uhhooooooow!!!

The possibilities are endless. It also changes how we consider "deconfirmed" characters. Of course, some characters are obviously not playable such as said Ashley, Nintendog, or the Wii Fit Board...or Kapp'n.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't think today changes much, if anything, with the other stage elements. It's probably just a Toon Link exclusive for all we know.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I don't think today changes much, if anything, with the other stage elements. It's probably just a Toon Link exclusive for all we know.
Yeah. Too bad that doesn't stop people from claiming "THERE'S STILL A CHANCE" everytime a character gets deconfirmed now.

Looks like the Toad supporters are already building themselves up for disappointment again.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The pic of the day tells me one thing. Alfonzo deconfirmed.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Guys guys guys, Viridi not deconfirmed anymore. There's still absolutely zero just like before the picture a chance.
"When Viridi joins the battle, Hades is in charge of killing everyone. Hades: 'Leave it to me!'"

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy will most likely be the next character revealed. Quite an exciting thought. When does TF get released again?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Diddy will most likely be the next character revealed. Quite an exciting thought. When does TF get released again?
2/13/14 in Japan. I can't remember the NA or UK release dates though. Seeing as how people seem more excited for the Japan release. Likely because Dedede and Zelda had been shown on Japanese release dates for their games. So the same could possibly happen with Diddy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Diddy and Dixie would somehow work like Rosalina and Luma, I'd still be maining the characters. But would still prefer Diddy alone.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
" When Lyn joins the battle, Karel takes place for her as an Assist.

Karel: I'm going to enjoy this..."

"When Saki joins the battle, Airan/Isa takes over him as an Assist.

Airan/Isa: Leave it to me!"

Wow, the possibilities seem endless.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
i see that concept working like the DKC2 main gameplay mechanic between the two, where they will move on their own while the other one doesn't do anything, and then they switch places.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
What if like in Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Diddy's Down-B allows him to break's Dixie's barrel to summon Dixie for an optional tag-team?
Fair game? :cool:
Rather not. I mean it could happen, not going to ignore that. But I think each of them can warrant their own character, without being tied to the other. Even more so on Diddy's part. We've already seen how good of a character he can be on his own.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
@ Starcutter Starcutter

Hey guy I'm pretty sure I sent you a friend request. Did you see it?

" When Lyn joins the battle, Karel takes place for her as an Assist.

Karel: I'm going to enjoy this..."

"When Saki joins the battle, Airan/Isa takes over him as an Assist.

Airan/Isa: Leave it to me!"

Wow, the possibilities seem endless.
I made a new one:

"When Starfy joins the battle, his sister that I can't remind the name takes his place as the assist trophy.

Starfy's sister: Leave it to me!"

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
New topic : Since the pic of the day involves toon link,what other toon link [WW,PH,MC,FS] stage do you want? I kind of want Windmill Island,or whatever island this gif is. also,gif related.

2222.gif

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Well, this meme is going to drive down to the ground over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom