• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My updated roster. I might have too many retros....

As for the characters I couldn't decide:

So whaddya think?
Mike Jones? He was considered for Brawl. But apparently only Japan can show their characters,but not ours.
Is that considered racism,even though American isn't even a race?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
“I can answer that: no. We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point.”

So yeah, not everyone is going to return. Could this mean Pichu and Young Link, sure. Is that what he is alluding to? Doubtful.
Forgetting when he said that no cuts have been made so far? I'd think that specifically means "we are planning everyone from Brawl to return and they should all make it unless serious complications arise."

At least that's how I interpreted it.

Also remember that the only character ever purposely cut from Smash was Pichu and the only one purposely replaced was Young Link. Roy, Mewtwo, and even Dr. Mario were all planned for Brawl until Sonic happened, aka "complications arising." I highly doubt there will be another Sonic situation this time.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
My updated version of:

Super Smash Toad! Play as all your favourite generic, undistinguishable inhabitants of the Mushroom Kingdom!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Actually Americans would recognize Lip and Takamaru more. Lip was referenced in Super Smash Brothers and her game that she represents was at least localized in some form. And Takamaru had Samurai Warriors and the Nintendo Land reference.

This is of course implying that a significant amount of westerners would recognize Muddy Mole in the first place or even barely any more than these 2 Japan Only retros. And the majority that do already know about Lip and Takamaru.

Besides you'll have to give me more than "He was localized" because so was Sheriff, Mach Rider, and Urban Champion.
Alright, alright. But Lip's Smash Bros reference means nothing.
They know her flower, not her as a character. And yes, PDP was localized, but reskinned as a Yoshi game, which basically removes Lip's credibility as a localized character. Although yes, Panel de Pon was localized in a way. Takamaru is certainly well known by now, for obvious reasons.

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly think characters like Waluigi and Tingle would be the best possible inclusions in Smash Bros. because of how non-fighting oriented they are. That's one of the reasons why I've learned to love Rosalina's inclusion.

But seriously, Waluigi with a piranha plant/bob-omb/dance moves-based moveset would be amazing.
Same. I still support Waluigi to an extent. I still think he has the most ideal move-set potential out of all Mario characters (without having to resort to Paper Mario, that is). His body-type is also pretty diverse in comparison to the fighters already on the roster.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
To you guys who think they'll be cuts.

Who do you think will be cut and why?

I still don't think they'll be cuts, but I don't see the melee vets coming back, unless DLC.

/grammar fail

Morbi

Scavenger
Forgetting when he said that no cuts have been made so far? I'd think that specifically means "we are planning everyone from Brawl to return and they should all make it unless serious complications arise."

Also remember that the only character ever purposely cut from Smash was Pichu and the only one purposely replaced was Young Link. Roy, Mewtwo, and even Dr. Mario were all planned for Brawl until Sonic happened, aka "complications arising." I highly doubt there will be another Sonic situation this time.
You can slice it anyway you want to, buddy. It doesn't matter, he made a direct statement. If you want to ignore it based on the notion that he hasn't cut anybody YET, which was a few months ago, if I recall correctly. That is your prerogative.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Shulk as a fighter translates more fluidly into Smash than Isacc. Shulk also has many buff and debuffing attacks. Techniques that are staples to an RPG, but not fully represented yet in Smash. I would personally pick Shulk.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

I still don't think they'll be cuts, but I don't see the melee vets coming back, unless DLC.
The only plausible cuts for me are the characters that don't bring anything new.
There are only a few characters that don't bring anything new though.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Where did you get all of those icons??!! Please tell me!
Sorry for being tardy to the party, I had food. Anyway, it's in the Wii U forums, the Roster Maker thread, it's stickied. You can ask for character icons, look through icons of announced characters, and more specifically, if you go to page 24 Ariand/AEM has a whole post of icons, which are quite top-notch.
@ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous
Duck Hunt Dog?
I wouldn't mind his inclusion, but can you give me some reasoning?
I honestly just wanted a retro, and he seemed the most interesting to me IMO.

Morbi

Scavenger

/grammar fail
Pokemon Trainer, I have explained it a million times before, it takes about 10 minutes to type up all of the evidence against his inclusion. However, I will just let Sakurai speak for me this time around as I have class in 10 minutes.

“Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes. However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character.”

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Same. I still support Waluigi to an extent. I still think he has the most ideal move-set potential out of all Mario characters (without having to resort to Paper Mario, that is). His body-type is also pretty diverse in comparison to the fighters already on the roster.
This chick gets it. I await his inclusion in Smash 8.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Uh, yeah it does. It shows that Sakurai actually acknowledges this character and thought this game was actually significant enough to earn this credit.
Yes, Panel de Pon is significant. I never doubted this, Sakurai called it a masterpiece.
Does Sakurai even care if you recognize a retro or not?
Wasn't the discussion why Muddy Mole is less recognizable than Lip and Takamaru? He must since you were just arguing that these characters are more well-known therefore making them more plausible and deserving.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm making a read off of Sakurai, not myself. Face the facts, Fire Emblem characters got in because it was the new thing for Japan, and they were going to release it in America. The latest Pokemon came in because they were advertising the games that they were in. Sonic and Snake came in because there were plans for their games to be released on Nintendo consoles. Wii Fit trainer is in Smash because they recently announced a Wii Fit game, Toon Link because Wind Waker HD. Mega Man because they have something up their sleeves. Rosalina because HELLO Nintendo just recently said that soon there was going to be a HD remake of Galaxy. Sonic AGAIN because of Sonic Lost World. Ness in going to be in it because Earthbound is on the Virtual Console. I could go on for hours, for almost EVERY character!
My point is this, and this is where everything Sakurai has ever said makes sense. Smash is not a game, it's advertisement, most of the characters, (including ROB) are in the game because Nintendo was wanting to push a new game, while filling in the blanks with a couple characters that had NO purpose other than nostalgia.
The sole purpose of Smash being casual is that everyone can play it, so everybody can buy the games. If it weren't for that, Sakurai would've made this a competitive game a long time ago.
I could go on for hours. The point is: that Sakurai isn't responsible, it's the crafty corporation that is Nintendo.

But that's just a theory, a Game Theory!
Thanks for reading!
Your opinion stopped mattering when you said Smash Bros wasn't a game.

It is a game. It also promotes games. But that does not mean you should belittle Smash Bros by calling it something that generally carries a negative connotation.

What you said is overly pessimistic and not even entirely true.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Ha...ha....
Just went through 20 Avatars... I think I chose wisely, eh?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
The only plausible cuts for me are the characters that don't bring anything new.
There are only a few characters that don't bring anything new though.
So who would those characters be?

Your opinion stopped mattering when you said Smash Bros wasn't a game.

It is a game. It also promotes games. But that does not mean you should belittle Smash Bros by calling it something that generally carries a negative connotation.

What you said is overly pessimistic and not even entirely true.
Lol another victim falls for the bait.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Lucas and Falco.
I don't see it happening though, especially if those are the only two to be cut.
I would have said Wolf, but his low to the ground style is much more unique than Falco.
Cutting Falco?

That's REAL ballsy.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I honestly feel as though it is going to come down to Shulk versus Isaac. Who has been around longer? Who has the Smash relevance? Who has the better selling series (I am seriously asking)? They both seem very similar. One is exclusive to handheld games, whilst the other is exclusive to console, if I am not mistaken. I just feel as if Golden Sun is the more worthy candidate. However, both can co-exist, so the point is moot. Still though, I would be pretty angry if Shulk made it over some other notable Nintendo characters that are vastly more important and iconic. I would prefer ANY series, including Kirby or Star Fox, to get an additional representative before Shulk gets his time. His place is as an assist trophy in my opinion.
I agree on everything but the last part, I prefer diversity of IPs in the roster (Palutena being the big exception) except when things like Dixie/K. Rool/Ridley come in, It's not like we're not getting at least one of the elite four anyway so having both doesn't really bother me over certain characters. But I do agree with Isaac being considered 1st over him.

Reznor

work in progress

all he said was "no one was been cut yet" which probably means no one has been cut from the Smash 4 roaster yet because of the 3DS

Ha...ha....
Just went through 20 Avatars... I think I chose wisely, eh?
best one yet :dr^_^:
I honestly think characters like Waluigi and Tingle would be the best possible inclusions in Smash Bros. because of how non-fighting oriented they are. That's one of the reasons why I've learned to love Rosalina's inclusion.

But seriously, Waluigi with a piranha plant/bob-omb/dance moves-based moveset would be amazing.
Walugi and Tignle would be awesome they could have such weird move sets

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Cutting Falco?

That's REAL ballsy.

I am against it more than most. I think veteran status means a whole lot. But Falco brings less to the table than Wolf, and is overall less important to the series, so Falco would be less of a loss to Smash than Wolf imo.
Again, NOT THAT I THINK HE WILL BE CUT BY ANY MEANS.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think Muddy Mole is just considered because he fits the definition of the loosely used term "retro". I don't think Sakurai is just looking for unique characters from that time era, but rather classic Nintendo titles that at least had some form of notability.
Well For the Frog the Bell Tolls was 9th place in the Japanese eShop top Virtual Console games and beated Mole Mania in sales. That shows some form of notability. :estatic:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/32942

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pokemon Trainer offers a worse mechanic than Zelda. I wonder if there should be a Stock mode where you can pick a different character per stock (with a limit on stocks). A taunt button or some other button can be used to toggle between characters could also be another feature.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to wait 40 years for Waluigi. I'll be too damn old.
Eh, it'd probably only be around 2030 or so. I'm sure we can handle the wait. :troll:
Don't see Nintendo doing anything noteworthy with the character until then anyways...

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You can slice it anyway you want to, buddy. It doesn't matter, he made a direct statement. If you want to ignore it based on the notion that he hasn't cut anybody YET, which was a few months ago, if I recall correctly. That is your prerogative.
They are both direct quotes, he said that no cuts have been made and also said that they could happen. However you care to see it, it's entirely possible it could go either way. I'm just putting more faith into the fact that he has a much larger team and he already revealed Toon Link. You'd think Toon Link would be one of, if not the very first on the chopping block if he was making cuts right? There was also that quote where he said he really hated cuts. He could be done with the entire roster and is just touching up the characters here and there for balance, he's already shown off trophies, which probably wouldn't take priority until the rest of the game is already mostly finished. Also, like I mentioned with Sonic, he isn't under any time constraints other than the self-imposed "sometime in 2014." I don't think he'll cut anyone unless he has to, which seems not to be the case this time.

D

Deleted member

Its sorta hard for me to say who will get removed, but I kinda see Pokemon Trainer in the danger zone.

Now I'm sure everyone loves Gen 1 Pokemon (Especially Japan) but I imagine that since Sakurai doesn't have time to bring everyone back and adding characters isn't simple, I imagine Charizard will be the only returning Pokemon

I'm probably going to get flak for this but I don't see Wolf returning. But I'm sure Sakurai will keep him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom