• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm making a read off of Sakurai, not myself. Face the facts, Fire Emblem characters got in because it was the new thing for Japan, and they were going to release it in America. The latest Pokemon came in because they were advertising the games that they were in. Sonic and Snake came in because there were plans for their games to be released on Nintendo consoles. Wii Fit trainer is in Smash because they recently announced a Wii Fit game, Toon Link because Wind Waker HD. Mega Man because they have something up their sleeves. Rosalina because HELLO Nintendo just recently said that soon there was going to be a HD remake of Galaxy. Sonic AGAIN because of Sonic Lost World. Ness in going to be in it because Earthbound is on the Virtual Console. I could go on for hours, for almost EVERY character!
My point is this, and this is where everything Sakurai has ever said makes sense. Smash is not a game, it's advertisement, most of the characters, (including ROB) are in the game because Nintendo was wanting to push a new game, while filling in the blanks with a couple characters that had NO purpose other than nostalgia.
The sole purpose of Smash being casual is that everyone can play it, so everybody can buy the games. If it weren't for that, Sakurai would've made this a competitive game a long time ago.
I could go on for hours. The point is: that Sakurai isn't responsible, it's the crafty corporation that is Nintendo.

But that's just a theory, a Game Theory!
Thanks for reading!
No...no no no no no no no no...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I got a bit of feedback on this, but I'm posting again for people to see. I know some people on here saw it.
Apparently everybody from brawl is back.

Why am I to seem that I only know about Sakurai's limit.. Either that or just adding characters for room for chances of getting right. Eh.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Woah, that's pretty neat. Though I think we'd get Amy instead of Blaze. Y'know... to fit the whole "hedgehag" thing.
I was stuck deciding between Amy and Blaze, but I decided to go with Blaze because she seems to have more potential.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There is no limit.
Sakurai said that there are no cuts planned so far.

That Piko Piko hammer though...
He DID state that there will be less characters than Brawl. Either that or my imagination has ****ed up once more.

Morbi

Scavenger
Apparently everybody from brawl is back.

Why am I to seem that I only know about Sakurai's limit.. Either that or just adding characters for room for chances of getting right. Eh.
They just pretty much ignore Sakurai's statement in regards to possible cuts. Some have been deluding themselves into thinking that every character will return and he was merely alluding to characters like Pichu and Young Link. Just let them have their fun, they will just be disappointed when the game launches, what better time? Amiright?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm making a read off of Sakurai, not myself. Face the facts, Fire Emblem characters got in because it was the new thing for Japan, and they were going to release it in America. The latest Pokemon came in because they were advertising the games that they were in. Sonic and Snake came in because there were plans for their games to be released on Nintendo consoles. Wii Fit trainer is in Smash because they recently announced a Wii Fit game, Toon Link because Wind Waker HD. Mega Man because they have something up their sleeves. Rosalina because HELLO Nintendo just recently said that soon there was going to be a HD remake of Galaxy. Sonic AGAIN because of Sonic Lost World. Ness in going to be in it because Earthbound is on the Virtual Console. I could go on for hours, for almost EVERY character!
My point is this, and this is where everything Sakurai has ever said makes sense. Smash is not a game, it's advertisement, most of the characters, (including ROB) are in the game because Nintendo was wanting to push a new game, while filling in the blanks with a couple characters that had NO purpose other than nostalgia.
The sole purpose of Smash being casual is that everyone can play it, so everybody can buy the games. If it weren't for that, Sakurai would've made this a competitive game a long time ago.
I could go on for hours. The point is: that Sakurai isn't responsible, it's the crafty corporation that is Nintendo.

But that's just a theory, a Game Theory!
Thanks for reading!
Fire Emblem was released outside of Japan because they were in Smash, not the other way around. Oh yeah, Pokemon Trainer was advertising the newest Pokemon game by using the oldest Pokemon, logic. The only game Snake got on a Nintendo console after Brawl was a remake on the 3DS, years later. Sonic's games were multiplatform too. Toon Link was added because he was already in Brawl when he just so happened to not be advertising anything. Mega Man hasn't had a game in years and I doubt he's getting one any time soon. Nintendo never announced an HD Galaxy, Ness has been in the games since the first ****ing one. And how the flying **** is ROB advertising a peripheral that is over 20 years old for a console that sure as hell isn't in production anymore. You're really grasping at straws and making **** up here.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai says that it kills him to cut characters, but if he has to he apologizes in advance. Something to that effect.

He also stated very early on that Brawl's roster size is around the limits of how many characters can be added. But I don't believe him.

I am paraphrasing his quotes from memory, so don't take my shoddy memory as evidence.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Seriously. Why Shulk? I know the game is popular, but it's barely even a major IP.
He could perfectly represent Xenoblade and all the future Xeno titles for Nintendo consoles (X and whatever they bring up next), apart from what they stated above, he's a rare sword user, and modern IP with a huge success, he at least has acknowledged the series, haven't really got anything against his inclusion honestly and I haven't even played the game so I'm being partial with this.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I could have gone with more surprises, like one I had in mind. However, I'd be pretty much crucified here if I added Muddy over Takamaru, as I wanted. :p
I think Muddy Mole is just considered because he fits the definition of the loosely used term "retro". I don't think Sakurai is just looking for unique characters from that time era, but rather classic Nintendo titles that at least had some form of notability.

Morbi

Scavenger
Sakurai says that it kills him to cut characters, but if he has to he apologizes in advanced. Something to that effect.

He also stated very early on that Brawl's roster size is around the limits of how many characters can be added. But I don't believe him.

I am paraphrasing his quotes from memory, so don't take my shoddy memory as evidence.
That is essentially what he stated. Here is the first source that popped up. I don't know if it is any good. Haha.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/2...e-to-bring-all-characters-back-to-smash-bros/

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think Muddy Mole is just considered because he fits the definition of the loosely used term "retro". I don't think Sakurai is just looking for unique characters from that time era, but rather classic Nintendo titles that at least had some form of notability.
I suppose being created by Shigeru Miyamoto and being localized doesn't account for anything.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
He could perfectly represent Xenoblade and all the future Xeno titles for Nintendo consoles (X and whatever they bring up next), apart from what they stated above, he's a rare sword user, and modern IP with a huge success, he at least has acknowledged the series, haven't really got anything against his inclusion honestly and I haven't even played the game so I'm being partial with this.
I don't know. This isn't a major IP like Pikmin and even Golden Sun needed a little more than what it had. Which was big popularity and 2 installments.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I suppose being created by Shigeru Miyamoto and being localized doesn't account for anything.
Um, no. I don't think Sakurai sees this as "Miyamoto All-Stars" or thinks. "Hmm, this game was localized like several others. It clearly stands out."

I see no significance in Mole Mania even as a retro besides a VC re release. Even Ice Climbers was at least CLOSE to classic because it was a lot like the other "Arcade" like NES games.

andimidna

Smash Master
Alright, me and my friend on Miiverse came up with the most reasonable, likely additions. They are...
  • Takamaru
  • Chibi-Robo
  • King K. Rool*
  • Krystal**
  • Palutena
  • Ridley
  • Shulk
  • Little Mac
  • Chrom
  • Dixie Kong*
*One or the other, not both. King K. Rool was found more likely, however.
**Maybe. Would likely replace Falco or Wolf.

If you have any questions with our reasoning feel free to ask. Also please note Mewtwo and Roy are NOT considered additions because they are technically veterans, and a Pokemon newcomer was not considered because it's too uncertain. And please comment if you think we're missing something / someone.
My list:
-Takamaru
-Palutena
-Ridley
-Shulk
-Little Mac
-Chrom
-Dixie Kong
-Pac Man

Morbi

Scavenger
“I can answer that: no. We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point.”

So yeah, not everyone is going to return. Could this mean Pichu and Young Link, sure. Is that what he is alluding to? Doubtful.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Um, no. I don't think Sakurai sees this as "Miyamoto All-Stars" or thinks. "Hmm, this game was localized like several others. It clearly stands out."
Unlike Panel de Pon or Nazo no Murasame Jo, Mole Mania was localized, which makes Muddy stand out in the sense that more westerners will recognize him.
That being said I still find Takamaru more likely. I don't really know how I feel about Lip, Muddy, and Mach Rider's chances.
And Miyamoto was just a side note I suppose. It doesn't hurt.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I don't know. This isn't a major IP like Pikmin and even Golden Sun needed a little more than what it had. Which was big popularity and 2 installments.
I never said Golden Sun shouldn't have one, in fact, watching how tiny the franchise is Isaac could pretty much represent entirely GS by his own similar to how Olimar represents Pikmin.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
“I can answer that: no. We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point.”

So yeah, not everyone is going to return. Could this mean Pichu and Young Link, sure. Is that what he is alluding to? Doubtful.
but i want ike, and lucario and purin to stay. If ike is replaced by chrom, heads are gonna roll.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman

I see no significance in Mole Mania even as a retro besides a VC re release. Even Ice Climbers was at least CLOSE to classic because it was a lot like the other "Arcade" like NES games.
Had this been "Miyamoto All-Stars" we probably wouldn't even have Wario.
...Thankfully that is not the case.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't see how Waluigi would be a bad choice. He's got full of usable items,bombs,pirahana plants,his dance moves :troll:

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
My updated roster. I might have too many retros....

As for the characters I couldn't decide:

So whaddya think?

Morbi

Scavenger
I never said Golden Sun shouldn't have one, in fact, watching how tiny the franchise is Isaac could pretty much represent entirely GS by his own similar to how Olimar represents Pikmin.
I honestly feel as though it is going to come down to Shulk versus Isaac. Who has been around longer? Who has the Smash relevance? Who has the better selling series (I am seriously asking)? They both seem very similar. One is exclusive to handheld games, whilst the other is exclusive to console, if I am not mistaken. I just feel as if Golden Sun is the more worthy candidate. However, both can co-exist, so the point is moot. Still though, I would be pretty angry if Shulk made it over some other notable Nintendo characters that are vastly more important and iconic. I would prefer ANY series, including Kirby or Star Fox, to get an additional representative before Shulk gets his time. His place is as an assist trophy in my opinion.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Unlike Panel de Pon or Nazo no Murasame Jo, Mole Mania was localized, which makes Muddy stand out in the sense that more westerners will recognize him.
Actually Americans would recognize Lip and Takamaru more. Lip was referenced in Super Smash Brothers and her game that she represents was at least localized in some form. And Takamaru had Samurai Warriors and the Nintendo Land reference.

This is of course implying that a significant amount of westerners would recognize Muddy Mole in the first place or even barely any more than these 2 Japan Only retros. And the majority that do already know about Lip and Takamaru.

Besides you'll have to give me more than "He was localized" because so was Sheriff, Mach Rider, and Urban Champion.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how Waluigi would be a bad choice. He's got full of usable items,bombs,pirahana plants,his dance moves :troll:
I honestly think characters like Waluigi and Tingle would be the best possible inclusions in Smash Bros. because of how non-fighting oriented they are. That's one of the reasons why I've learned to love Rosalina's inclusion.

But seriously, Waluigi with a piranha plant/bob-omb/dance moves-based moveset would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom