• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I really don't care what they are called. However you look at it, it's the same gameplay concept as making Male Wii Fit Trainer a different character. It's taking a character with the same basic model and design who's only difference in appearances in gender and making it a separate character. Maybe I used bad terminology. But, making either characters separate as their own slot is just as bad.
Lucina's popular and important enough to be her own character, the Trainer's aren't separately. Another thing is that Lucina can be unique if you really wanted to make her unique, but regardless I see no real flaw with her joining the Smash Brothers roster. Only reason I think people write her out is because she disguised herself as Marth. But there was nothing that really made her seem like Marth other than her hairstyle when disguised and the Falchion. Otherwise we'd be calling her a completely different character and we'd probably advocate for her along the likes of Chrom and Robin. She's literally just as important as them in Awakening anyways.

I can't really think of ways to make two Wii Fit Trainers work (there may be enough of other fitness styles for the Male Trainer to adopt though), but I can think of ways to make Marth and Lucina co-exist. It's not as bad as you make, it's not like Lucina is a worthless unimportant Fire Emblem character. But that's just me, you can think what you want.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Mind as well throw my own hat into the ring:

Returning:

Everyone from Brawl
Mewtwo

Newcomers:

Megaman
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
Chrom
Pac-Man
Mii
Rosalina
Palutena
Takamaru
Toon Zelda/Tetra
Dixie Kong

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Hey guys, new roster. This might be my most refined roster.

View attachment 6615

All vets return except for Sheik.

Newcomers:

- Rosalina
- King K. Rool
- Tetra
- Ridley
- Palutena
- Little Mac
- Takamaru
- Samurai Goroh
- Lucina
- Villager
- Shulk
- Wii Fit Trainer
- Mega Man

Thinking about cutting Goroh for Krystal depending on their popularity and *GASP* relevance.

Also, old avatar makes me sad, so I changed it.
Some notes:
-Lucina isn't the main Lord of Awakening. Nothing against her, Chrom just fits in a hell of a lot better.
-Where are the Ice Climbers?
-I can't see Shulk happening. He was in one game. Maybe later.
-Tetra only appeared in 2 games, Toon Zelda has been in every Toon Zelda game, therefore I can't see Tetea happening without Telda, if it happens at all.
-I feel like there's no reason to not have Sheik there. Same goes for Dixie.
-I can't see Goroh happening. F-Zero hasn't been relevant in a long while. No hate, just facts.

Morbi

Scavenger
Some notes:
-Lucina isn't the main Lord of Awakening. Nothing against her, Chrom just fits in a hell of a lot better.
-Where are the Ice Climbers?
-I can't see Shulk happening. He was in one game. Maybe later.
-Tetra only appeared in 2 games, Toon Zelda has been in every Toon Zelda game, therefore I can't see Tetea happening without Telda, if it happens at all.
-I feel like there's no reason to not have Sheik there. Same goes for Dixie.
-I can't see Goroh happening. F-Zero hasn't been relevant in a long while. No hate, just facts.
Guess where F-Zero is relevant? Smash. Check-mate.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Returning:

Everyone from Brawl
Mewtwo

Newcomers:

Megaman
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
Chrom
Pac-Man
Mii
Rosalina
Palutena
Villager
Takamaru
Toon Zelda/Tetra
Dixie Kong
Most of the newcomers, besides the popular ones you must have, are all "meh".
This includes Toon Zelda (not Tetra, just Toon Zelda), Takamaru, and no historical.

Lip>Takamaru.

EDIT: @ XStarWarriorX XStarWarriorX I made some Jenna the Grill fan art.
image.jpg

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Might as well. Updated my roster slightly, just some different organization plus making it clear that Sheik is there. Zamus is still there too.

Reasons:
  • No cuts- Honestly, we have Toon Link already. I'll eat my hat if anyone is cut.
  • Dixie and K. Rool- No matter how many people may whine about DK getting two characters at once, it's completely justified. Mario and Zelda got three in Melee, Kirby got two in Brawl. Hell, Fire Emblem got two in Melee and it was completely new to the series. Plus K. Rool is the #1 requested newcomer.
  • Zelda Series- Addressing Sheik first, she was still in Brawl, Sakurai updated her design to match Zelda. Would he go through such effort for no reason? With Zelda keeping the same design, there's even less reason for Sheik to go. Lack of newcomer due to no candidates being particularly better than others/Triforce trio and Tink are good enough.
  • Takamaru and Lip- It's not like there's anyone in their way, Takamaru is seen as the most likely retro, yet Sakurai has a soft spot for Lip with all the references. Pretty much a case of "why can't we have both?"
  • Ridley- If I seriously have to explain this one...
  • Palutena- Iffy, might not get a second Kid Icarus rep at all. Palutena is the most likely choice if there is one though. Poor Viridi.
  • Krystal- See: Rosalina.
  • Isaac- Mostly a placeholder for whatever new series character/assist trophy upgrade. Will replace him with whoever actually gets the spot. Like Little Mac.
  • Mewtwo- Again, no explanations needed,
  • Roy- Another placeholder for whatever FE character gets in. Roy would still be better than Chrom or a Marth wannabe.
  • Pac-Man- Because why the **** not.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
Lucina's popular and important enough to be her own character, the Trainer's aren't separately. Another thing is that Lucina can be unique if you really wanted to make her unique, but regardless I see no real flaw with her joining the Smash Brothers roster. Only reason I think people write her out is because she disguised herself as Marth. But there was nothing that really made her seem like Marth other than her hairstyle when disguised and the Falchion. Otherwise we'd be calling her a completely different character and we'd probably advocate for her along the likes of Chrom and Robin. She's literally just as important as them in Awakening anyways.

I can't really think of ways to make two Wii Fit Trainers work (there may be enough of other fitness styles for the Male Trainer to adopt though), but I can think of ways to make Marth and Lucina co-exist. It's not as bad as you make, it's not like Lucina is a worthless unimportant Fire Emblem character. But that's just me, you can think what you want.
1233928590_citizen kane clapping.gif

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Lucina's popular and important enough to be her own character, the Trainer's aren't separately.
I'm going by gameplay merits. Having Lucina as a slot is just as dumb as having Male Wii Fit Trainer as a slot gameplay wise.

Another thing is that Lucina can be unique if you really wanted to make her unique
Can =/= will =/= want

but regardless I see no real flaw with her joining the Smash Brothers roster. Only reason I think people write her out is because she disguised herself as Marth. But there was nothing that really made her seem like Marth other than her hairstyle when disguised and the Falchion.
So NOTHING about her resembled Marth? Not her clothes, not her color scheme, not her sword, not her body? I suppose next you're gonna tell me you can't see the similarities between Mario & Luigi.

I can't really think of ways to make two Wii Fit Trainers work
Easy. Make an overly optimistic claim that "he could be different if Sakurai really tried."

but I can think of ways to make Marth and Lucina co-exist.
We're not just looking for ways to make similar characters co-exist. We're looking for PLAUSIBLE ways to make them co-exist. Like Pikachu and Pichu co-existing without being clones would be an example of something not plausible. A character who has more similarities than differences will end up being a clone according to every character in Smash that fits that description. I've yet to see a character with differences in less number than similarities that has not become a clone of some sort. And Lucina of ALL people being that exception is absurd.

So recency doesn't matter for FE...
But it matters for DK and Mario. I don't think so.
Actually that's not what I said at all. In fact I never said recency matters for one franchise, but not another. I said recency matters for some CHARACTERS, but not others.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
> calls user a brick wall and a fool for civilly disagreeing
> complains about user laughing at something he disagrees with

If you go around insulting people and DON'T expect negative feedback. Then my god. Good luck adapting to the world.
**** off. I'm not dancing this dance today. You can take your anal attitude to someone who gives a ****.

I want to talk about Smash.

I'm surprised you don't have Ghirahim honestly, although I haven't seen your other rosters. I like it, even though I'm not quite sure about lucina or tetra.
Lucina is my new bias card to spite SaturnGamer. Samurai Goroh is my way of showing, deep down, I do listen and I do care about what he has to say.

Ghirahim is not there because people get all up in arms about him.

Returning:

Everyone from Brawl
Mewtwo

Newcomers:

Megaman
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
Chrom
Pac-Man
Mii
Rosalina
Palutena
Villager
Takamaru
Toon Zelda/Tetra
Dixie Kong
Yours is better than mine because you didn't forget the Ice Climbers.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I wonder what will be the F-Zero content in the new game, considering no F-Zero games were released between Brawl and this one.

We'll probably have one or two stages from GX in the Wii U version and something based off the GBA games on the 3DS version. Captain Falcon will likely return, being a fan favorite since the N64 game.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Well, while I'm working on my script for my newest roster,how do you guys like it?
You have shulk, robin, as well as a few other characters that I find interesting, like Palutena. 8/10

Ah the hell with it. I want to try. *goes to download the roster maker*

Morbi

Scavenger
**** off. I'm not dancing this dance today. You can take your anal attitude to someone who gives a ****.

I want to talk about Smash.

Lucina is my new bias card to spite SaturnGamer. Samurai Goroh is my way of showing, deep down, I do listen and I do care about what he has to say.

Ghirahim is not there because people get all up in arms about him.

Yours is better than mine because you didn't forget the Ice Climbers.
I feel the same about Lucina, trust me, she is one of my most wanted Newcomers. I just don't think she has what it takes. I mean she just screams costume material. Marth or Chrom really (based on the Monster Hunter precedent). Hopefully she can be Chrom's partner or something, she is my favorite Fire Emblem character.

Edit- Also, Saturn is quite the pretentious dude, but you are really doing the same thing that he does. There is no reason to blatantly antagonize someone. It is just a speculation thread, calm down and enjoy life. Don't let him get under your skin. He is a great guy once you get to know him... probably. :awesome:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Might as well. Updated my roster slightly, just some different organization plus making it clear that Sheik is there. Zamus is still there too.

Reasons:
  • No cuts- Honestly, we have Toon Link already. I'll eat my hat if anyone is cut.
  • Dixie and K. Rool- No matter how many people may whine about DK getting two characters at once, it's completely justified. Mario and Zelda got three in Melee, Kirby got two in Brawl. Hell, Fire Emblem got two in Melee and it was completely new to the series. Plus K. Rool is the #1 requested newcomer.
  • Zelda Series- Addressing Sheik first, she was still in Brawl, Sakurai updated her design to match Zelda. Would he go through such effort for no reason? With Zelda keeping the same design, there's even less reason for Sheik to go. Lack of newcomer due to no candidates being particularly better than others/Triforce trio and Tink are good enough.
  • Takamaru and Lip- It's not like there's anyone in their way, Takamaru is seen as the most likely retro, yet Sakurai has a soft spot for Lip with all the references. Pretty much a case of "why can't we have both?"
  • Palutena- Iffy, might not get a second Kid Icarus rep at all. Palutena is the most likely choice if there is one though. Poor Viridi.
  • Isaac- Mostly a placeholder for whatever new series character/assist trophy upgrade. Will replace him with whoever actually gets the spot. Like Little Mac.
  • Roy- Another placeholder for whatever FE character gets in. Roy would still be better than Chrom or a Marth wannabe.
I'd recommend making Dixie into a Diddy tag-team, but that is just personal opinion.

I'd cut Takamaru for a Zelda newcomer, just because too many swordsmen. Preferably Tingle or Impa since they are they only other frequently reincarnating characters thus having significance to the Zelda series.

And I think there should be a Historical newcomer (like Diskun or Daitoryo).

Other than that it is pretty good.
8/10.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
> calls user a brick wall and a fool for civilly disagreeing
> complains about user laughing at something he disagrees with

If you go around insulting people and DON'T expect negative feedback. Then my god. Good luck adapting to the world.
Are you seriously greentexting? Like, really, man?

arcticfox8

Smash Champion

Returning:

Everyone from Brawl
Mewtwo

Newcomers:

Megaman
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
Chrom
Pac-Man
Mii
Rosalina
Palutena
Villager
Takamaru
Toon Zelda/Tetra
Dixie Kong
This is the best prediction roster I've seen, I can see all of this happening, with maybe a few more curveballs from Sakurai. Good job.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
View attachment 6621

Reasons:
  • Roy- Another placeholder for whatever FE character gets in. Roy would still be better than Chrom or Lucina
conkerbypandamusk-600x775.jpg
Good Roster 8/10

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'd cut Takamaru for a Zelda newcomer, just because too many swordsmen. Preferably Tingle or Impa since they are they only other frequently reincarnating characters thus having significance to the Zelda series.
You know, cutting Takamaru because he's a swordsman is a poor reasoning.

Being a samurai, Takamaru could be quite different from the other sword users thanks to him having a katana. Japanese swordplay differs greatly from the more European-like style of Marth and Ike. He could also use some ninja weaponry like shuriken or perhaps smoke bombs.

Plus, I think the Zelda series having Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf and Toon Link is enough. I think the roster would be more varied with Takamaru instead of another Zelda character.

Morbi

Scavenger

Being a samurai, Takamaru could be quite different from the other sword users thanks to him having a katana. Japanese swordplay differs greatly from the more European-like style of Marth and Ike. He could also use some ninja weaponry like shuriken or perhaps smoke bombs.

Plus, I think the Zelda series having Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf and Toon Link is enough. I think the roster would be more varied with Takamaru instead of another Zelda character.
Sakurai doesn't feel the same way.

"The Pac is ba-aack!"

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
This is the best prediction roster I've seen, I can see all of this happening, with maybe a few more curveballs from Sakurai. Good job.
No offense to the creator, but how is this the best roster you've seen?
There Little Mac (everyone has him), Toon Zelda/Tetra (Toon Zelda is bland, but Tetra is fine), Dixie (everyone has her), Mewtwo (everyone has it), Chrom (everyone has some Awakening character, but Chrom is likely to happen over all of them), Palutena (everyone has her), Takamaru (blue haired swordsmen, who everyone who has a retro and doesn't like Lip has), Pac-Man (everyone not in denial has), and Mii (everyone has).
Not that this is a bad roster, but it is not the best.
It's fine, but it is a bit generic.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I feel the same about Lucina, trust me, she is one of my most wanted Newcomers. I just don't think she has what it takes. I mean she just screams costume material. Marth or Chrom really (based on the Monster Hunter precedent). Hopefully she can be Chrom's partner or something, she is my favorite Fire Emblem character.

Edit- Also, Saturn is quite the pretentious dude, but you are really doing the same thing that he does. There is no reason to blatantly antagonize someone. It is just a speculation thread, calm down and enjoy life. Don't let him get under your skin. He is a great guy once you get to know him... probably. :awesome:
Probably a bad time to compare me to someone. I was never mad about this. He fights over everything, it is not worth the effort. I do listen to him though.

I can't see her becoming a costume, considering they are not confirmed anyways.

Morbi

Scavenger
There Little Mac (everyone has him), Toon Zelda/Tetra (Toon Zelda is bland, but Tetra is fine), Dixie (everyone has her), Mewtwo (everyone has it), Chrom (everyone has some Awakening character, but Chrom is likely to happen over all of them), Palutena (everyone has her), Takamaru (blue haired swordsmen, who everyone who has a retro and doesn't like Lip has), Pac-Man (everyone not in denial has), and Mii (everyone has).
"The Pac is ba-aack!"

That is why it was the best roster, the more safe, the better. Lets be serious. If I made a roster with Hades, Lucina, Tingle, Meowth, Bandanna Dee, and Samurai Goroh, would anyone assert that it was the best roster? Nope.

"The Pac is ba-aack!"

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'd recommend making Dixie into a Diddy tag-team, but that is just personal opinion.

And I think there should be a Historical newcomer (like Diskun or Daitoryo).

Other than that it is pretty good.
8/10.
I'd rather not ruin Diddy by shoving Dixie on him. They both have merits to being separately playable.

There's nothing wrong with too many swordsmen unless it's Fire Emblem. There's no reason not to have Takamaru, think about the whole: Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Nazo no Murasame Jo thing. Plus what Frost said about him using a Katana, that's an entirely different beast than the other swordsmen.

I'm sorry Bidoof, nothing against you, but you've really got to stop with the historical newcomer boner you've got there. We can't possibly get one with each game because we'd run out. Plus 64 didn't have one, and Game & Watch was hardly one, so R.O.B. is pretty much the only argument for one.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Clones aren't bland. Have you seen Melee Falco? Or better yet, PM Ganondorf. ****'s flashy as hell.
Note I said "prediction". Its best at predicting. Not best at having every Nintendo character everyone wants and a deck of Hanafuda cards.

Morbi

Scavenger
If you're gonna respond to my posts with nonsense, you'd better be off this thread. Thank you very much.
I am sorry, allow me to elaborate. Sakurai feels as though another Zelda character is warranted and feasible as he was about to add Toon Zelda, which by extension, includes the entirely original character, Toon Sheik. His overt effort to include two additional Zelda characters contradicts the common notion that Zelda is "fine" as it is.

"The Pac is ba-aack!"

Probably a bad time to compare me to someone. I was never mad about this. He fights over everything, it is not worth the effort. I do listen to him though.

I can't see her becoming a costume, considering they are not confirmed anyways.
Marth is confirmed. I could easily see a masked-Marth costume. Perhaps that is just me.

"The Pac is ba-aack!"

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm talking about potential newcomers not the confirmed ones.
My apologies. :dizzy:
Here I go:

Mac has many things that could make himself stand out in terms of having an overall moveset that revolves around nothing but punches and other boxing related maneuvers. Despite what his naysayers say, this can really make him a very exciting character than the various "Kick, Punch, Block!" fighters in the roster.

Too big or not, Ridley can be another savage character like Wolf with the addition of many aerial techniques and tricks up his sleeve. He would be basically everything that Charizard would we he could be and what could make the fans go "Holy ****!".

No matter what the "Hurr durr too many swordsman" say, Taka can do thinks that can literally out class many other the other swordsman (especially Link). A different blade + different culture + potential projectiles + tricky weapons + quick strikes + special counters = Ultimate Swordsman's Fantasy. Much better choice than Kamen Rider Ripoff No. 3 and Mary Sue the Pretty Fairy. :troll:

Despite Rosie's inclusion, Pretty Palutena has that heavenly appearance and flashy (no pun intended) moveset potential there. Gods can alter their appearance and strength despite what others think and you can't deny that she would fit in with the rest of the female cast.

Many people pay attention to Tingle and Tetra, yet nobody pays attention to Vaati. He is one of the few villains other than Ganon that made a huge impact to the overall Zelda timeline and could be a great addition with his windy abilities. I would argue that he's a better option than another Toon Era character (which Toon Link himself already reps) due to his mysterious persona and special charm.

K. Rool literally steals the show when it comes to any DK related media due to his colorful personality with the addition of many persona changes. Those aforementioned changes along with his status as a Kremling would make him the best option of a new fighter.

Lastly, there's mah boi Isaac who I find much more likable than Shulkie Pants. Earth magic, Psyenergy, ans his trusty skills alone would make himself much more attractive than the likes of Shulk by a long shot. GBA RPG's > Wii RPG's FTW!

I think I've made my vibrant point. Embarrass

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Takamaru just seems a bit generic wen compared to Lip.
While his ninja weapons sounds cool, there is another, more deserving Samurai on the table.
A more rounded one if you catch my drift.

With the Zelda series, the same could have been said, and has been said about the Mario series being just the Bros, Peach, and Bowser. But Sakurai added RosaLuma anyway.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Returning:

Everyone from Brawl
Mewtwo

Newcomers:

Megaman
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
Chrom
Pac-Man
Mii
Rosalina
Palutena
Takamaru
Toon Zelda/Tetra
Dixie Kong
While I'm here, I mind as well make some explanations:

MM, WFT, Villager, Rosalina: All confirmed, of course.
Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii: I am aware the last two probably aren't too popular around here (I don't care for them myself), but this here leak (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62304489&postcount=2996) tells me that, yes, they're in.
Dixie Kong: Would prefer K. Rool, but I wouldn't mind Dixie and I guess she makes sense with TF coming up.
Toon Zelda/Tetra: Yeah, not a hugely interesting choice, but she'd probably be fairly easy to make being a clone/semi-clone of Zelda and Shiek and she makes more sense to me than characters like Ghirahim and Tingle (I stand by my belief of if that Tingle were to ever get in Smash, he should be presented as a 'Tingle' character, in the same way Wario and Yoshi are 'Wario' and 'Yoshi' characters rather than being full-on 'Mario' characters, with him being a minor character in mainline Zelda games but being the protag of his own games).
Chrom: Yeah.
Palutena: I'm aware that KI could possibly not get a 2nd character, but I'll stand by Palutena until the very end. I also believe that if a five game series like SF can get away with three characters (The only other series in Brawl with three characters is Kirby, which has like 10x the amount of games SF has), then a three game series like KI can get two.
Takamaru: The only retro character that doesn't feel tacky or silly to me at this point.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
A samurai sword moveset is something we haven't seen yet.
And for whoever argues against Takamaru, I've got one thing to say...
Nintendo Land.
That's it really. That's the reason we all find Takamaru so likely, and you know it.
But it's a good reason if I've ever seen one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom