• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Lucina seems to have more of a stabbing style of fighting while Marth has his slashing. Don't really see any simularities in that.
You'd think they would make an entire moveset out of stabbing? You don't get my point at all, do you?

Marth also has plenty of stabbing moves, both in Smash and Awakening.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
No offense but, Space Charizard with more aerial control = Female Marth with another style of sword attacks.
Also a lot of you want Roy and are sure that he will be unique this time for some reason.
So, you can stop this.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
I have, so there goes your assumption down the gutter.

Design-wise, Lucina would feel heavily redundant with Marth. This is not good for roster variety. Same body proportions and same outfit, just with boobs and longer hair.

Not to mention she is not the central character to Awakening's plot (Chrom and Robin/Avatar are). Why would Sakurai choose a Marth lookalike for the Fire Emblem newcomer?
marth.jpg

Marth and Lucina don't look the same.... -___-

No Control

Smash Apprentice
Isn't this discussion redundant, in that any of Chrom, Lucina and even Roy could have unique movesets if Sakurai wanted them to?

I hate FE discussions sometimes...

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I know I'm late to the discussion, but...

This is who I support. I like Lucina, but do we really need another blue haired swordsman? I'm not saying Lucina isn't awesome, but Robin would take little effort for Sakurai to put in smash bros

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Oh alright, so Wii Fit Trainer has a backstory? Is Wii Fit Trainer confused about his/her gender identity?
No, but he/she are separate characters. Why exaclty are you asking me this?

. Wii Fit Trainer is a mascot, not a character.
Dude, please don't make a fool of yourself. You're a smart person and this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say.

Hell, you could say WFT is an it.
How? Is she a robot?

The only reason there are different genders is because a player might prefer a different image and voice when they do yoga.
Yes it is. Why is this relevant to anything?

Lucina is her own character, with her own backstory, her own history, and most importantly, her own explicitly stated gender identity.

Oh, I see! So it's okay to add a character that's virtually the female equivalent of another with virtually no different abilities as long as they have a backstory!

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
I have, so there goes your assumption down the gutter.

Design-wise, Lucina would feel heavily redundant with Marth. This is not good for roster variety. Same body proportions and same outfit, just with boobs and longer hair.

Not to mention she is not the central character to Awakening's plot (Chrom and Robin/Avatar are). Why would Sakurai choose a Marth lookalike for the Fire Emblem newcomer?
View attachment 6609

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
No offense but, Space Charizard with more aerial control = Female Marth with another style of sword attacks.
Also a lot of you want Roy and are sure that he will be unique this time for some reason.
So, you can stop this.
But lyn tho.

Robin's cool 2.

And so is riddles, come on we need moar purple in smash.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
You'd think they would make an entire moveset out of stabbing? You don't get my point at all, do you?

Marth also has plenty of stabbing moves, both in Smash and Awakening.
The only stabbing move I see him have is his shield breaker, Lucina could also have other unique attributes, such as Aether and Rightful King

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I must live in a parallel universe where Marth and Lucina hardly look like one another... :rolleyes:

One first glance at both characters and one can say they are gender flipped versions of one another. Sure, there are differences, but the similarities outweigh said differences.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I support Lyn and Robin.
I see Chrom or Robin as very likely. No one else.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
View attachment 6601
So this is my new roster.

Thoughts?

I added the Elite 4 of Smash (Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, and Mewtwo I think), and other popular and likely choices (K. Rool, Chrom, Isaac, Pac-Man, and Mii) and some of my wants that I deem likely (Tingle, and both a retro and historical character, Lip and Daitoryo).

So what does everyone think?
*cough cough*
So is no one gonna do this or am I just gonna get a few "No Vaati = 0/10" like comments?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
View attachment 6601
So this is my new roster.

Thoughts?

I added the Elite 4 of Smash (Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, and Mewtwo I think), and other popular and likely choices (K. Rool, Chrom, Isaac, Pac-Man, and Mii) and some of my wants that I deem likely (Tingle, and both a retro and historical character, Lip and Daitoryo).

So what does everyone think?
don't like pac-man

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Out of many unique characters Fire Emblem can offer and people go and support Lucina... Seriously, what the hell.

More unique characters than Lucina:
Lyn - Wields a katana and could fight in a Japanese-style of fencing. It could be battoujutsu, iaijutsu, among many other possibilities.
Robin/Avatar - Mage knight archetype. Sword and magic combo could work into a unique and appealing moveset.
Roy - Declone him from Marth and add more fire based attacks, having increased range or shooting projectiles.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
*cough cough*
So is no one gonna do this or am I just gonna get a few "No Vaati = 0/10" like comments?
Get rid of Napoleon Bonaparte, separate Dixie, replace Chrom with Robin, and F-Zero could use another character. Props for Lip by the way.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
*cough cough*
I would be very pleased if this was the final roster myself... No real complaints there! Two things I'd personally change:

1. Don't really like the idea of Diddy and Dixie tag team, but I could learn to like it I guess.
2. Wouldn't pick Daitoroyo personally. Just don't really get "historical" characters (not a massive fan of G&W or, especially, R.O.B.), so I don't really have much desire for more of them over other potential newcomers.

But it has all four of my most wanted newcomers and it keeps all the veterans I like so 9/10 from me.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No, but he/she are separate characters. Why exaclty are you asking me this?
Dude, please don't make a fool of yourself. You're a smart person and this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say.
Oh, I see! So it's okay to add a character that's virtually the female equivalent of another with virtually no different abilities as long as they have a backstory!
THEY ARE NOT DIFFERENT CHARACTERS.

They are different versions of a generic image in a exercise game. It is not a character.

Lucina is NOT Marth, regardless of what she disguises herself as.
And about them having virtually no different abilities-what makes you think that? How much of Marth's Smash Bros. moveset do you think was completely made up for it?

If they wanted to make Lucina unique, it would be very easy, regardless of physical resemblances.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
*cough cough*
I think the roster is too big. Cut Tingle and a few others.
I must live in a parallel universe where Marth and Lucina hardly look like one another... :rolleyes:

One first glance at both characters and one can say they are gender flipped versions of one another. Sure, there are differences, but the similarities outweigh said differences.
He may mean they look different by Smash design, but regardless, stabbing style of swordplay is sooo boring. That is hardly unique. It's just her using a sword in a different way. That's a bad definition of unique.

andimidna

Smash Master
I think you're underestimating how important popularity is. Sakurai wouldn't make a newcomer roster full of smaller names just because they form unique movesets. One of his primary goals is to obviously SELL the game (something a lot of people forget), so he's gotta put in the big names in all Smash games he makes.

Well no, I know that AC is a big-name series for Nintendo now (I backed the inclusion of an AC rep in both Brawl and SSB4), but "fan-favourite" is not that dependent on perspective - we all know who the big names are among the whole fanbase, and Sakurai is aware of that too.

Well, she's not... Before her announcement as a character in SM3DW she had very little support for Smash compared to many other Mario newcomers. That is a fact.
No, that is not a fact. She always had popularity because she isn't like all the Mario characters you see squealing out their own names in all the spinoffs. But her popularity definitely multiplied after SM3DW. And it doesn't matter if she was less popular before 3d World and the Galaxy stage, she was extremely popular during the time she was announced, that's putting in a character with popularity.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
So, you can stop this.
OH SNAP! My thoughts exactly.

I just wish it were E3 already. Cause I have a feeling there won't be a new Fire Emblem character revealed until then.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
THEY ARE NOT DIFFERENT CHARACTERS.

That doesn't justify adding two characters that do exactly the same thing.

If they wanted to make Lucina unique, it would be very easy, regardless of physical resemblances.
srsly?.............................................................................Well, guys I think this is a good time to sign out...

I'll end on a context appropriate JonTron clip! :p

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Get rid of Napoleon Bonaparte, separate Dixie, replace Chrom with Robin, and F-Zero could use another character. Props for Lip by the way.
For Napoleon, I am not sure whether it should be him or Diskun, but I am leaning towards Daitoryo since he is Hanafuda, which was how Nintendo started.

To be honest, I see no reason why Diddy and Dixie should not be together, besides the act that Diddy was his own character in Brawl.

I am sticking with Chrom. I just have this guy feeling. I just do.

If I was to add one more character, it would be Goroh.

Lip is probably the most unique retro character, unlike a certain blue-haired swordsman.

I think the roster is too big. Cut Tingle and a few others.
It's 51 characters. That is only 1 more over the magic number.
And I feel Zelda should get a newcomer, and Tingle is the most deserving, with Impa in a close second.

And thanks for all the feedback everyone!

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
OH SNAP! My thoughts exactly.

I just wish it were E3 already. Cause I have a feeling there won't be a new Fire Emblem character revealed until then.
march-April months of FE

great potential to get something awakening in march, which i doubt because palutena.

Ike however should be a lock for april. and hopefully a newcomer :D

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Game Grumps Moveset

Entrance - "Hey I'm Grump!" (Arin appears, popping out of thin air in a "Ta-Da!" pose) "I'm Notso Grump!" (Either Jon or Danny appears in the same way, based on which costume you chose; they take a fighting pose with) "And we're the Game Grumps!" The voice clip of the second part changes to either Jon or Danny based on which you chose. Arin is always the one you play as, however. The Grumps are cartoonized in a way that Jon and Danny's stature differences are not as noticeable and do not affect gameplay.

Idle - The Game Grumps stand there, looking uninterested. They will eventually break into song if you let them sit long enough (Banana Shoes for Arin and Jon, Underneath the Water for Arin and Danny).

B - Poppy Bomb - Arin and Notso Grump both whip out a bomb and throw it in the same trajectory as Kirby in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards with the Single Bomb ability. Holding the button will give the bomb a greater arc but less distance, and vice-versa. The second bomb always follows the path of the first, making it a little harder to avoid/eat.

Up-B - Jacque Rocket (Jon) or DokiDoki Rocket (Danny) - If you're using Jon, Jacque will fly out of his shirt, Jon will grab his feet, and Arin will grab onto Jon's waist, and the two will be propelled upward. Can be directed left or right, but is not a full-on fly mode. The same animation will play for Danny, but instead of a Jacque, the rocket from Super Mario Bros. 2 will instead carry them, although the move is technically exactly the same.

Down-B - Barry Block - Arin will take a defensive stance (hiding behind his hands like any normal person about to be smacked would), and flash for a moment. If an attack makes contact with Grump during this time, a giant GOTCHA appears from behind him and smacks the attacker away, the word dashing forward quickly like a piston and instant fading away. Notso Grump does nothing during this attack.

Forward-B - Grapple Troop - Arin and Notso Grump deploy the grappling hook from Goof Troop, which can be used as a long-range (blockable) grab, a quick aerial attack, or a tether recovery. Both Grumps can be hanging from the same ledge at the same time.

Final Smash - The Steam Train - Ross and Suzy (and the Notso Grump that you didn't choose) will ride through the foreground on a giant, cartoony, blue steam engine, which Arin and Notso Grump will jump onto. A cursor appears on the screen, and you can draw tracks onto the screen ala Kirby's Epic Yarn; after a short time, the Steam Train rushes across the stage, along the tracks, smashing anyone in it's path for a OHKO. Easy to dodge but dangerous.

Taunt 1 - Arin gets angry, stomping his foot, and starts one of his fecal-based rants. ("THIS GAME IS A PILE OF STINKY ASS DRIPPINGS SMELLED ALL OVER A SKUNK'S ANUS")

Taunt 2 - Jon coughs (with an ECCH at the end), or Danny burps. If the Notso Grump is KOed, Arin simply looks back and forth and mutters "****.".

Taunt 3 - Arin and Jon say "Seven asses!". Arin and Danny say "Mike Aruba!".

"This game's winner is...Game Grumps!"
Victory Theme - An instrumental version of Jon's version of the "Game Grumps Vs." intro.
Victory 1 - Arin screams "ARIN WINS, JON/DANNY WINS, EVERYONE WINS!" in a frantic, hysterical voice, akin to the Sonic '06 Silver fight footage. Each "blank wins" is accompanied by Barry's yellow words appearing on top of each other in a messy fashion.
Victory 2 - The Game Grumps are keeled over laughing, similar to Wario's victory.
Victory 3 - Arin screams "Jeez Smash Bros., get it together!" in his AVGN-YouTube-Ripoff voice as Notso Grump laughs.

Last edited:

No Control

Smash Apprentice
No, that is not a fact. She always had popularity because she isn't like all the Mario characters you see squealing out their own names in all the spinoffs. But her popularity definitely multiplied after SM3DW. And it doesn't matter if she was less popular before 3d World and the Galaxy stage, she was extremely popular during the time she was announced, that's putting in a character with popularity.
She wasn't unpopular granted, but compared to other characters and even other Mario characters she wasn't a big name. That, in my book, counts categorically as her not being a fan-favourite character.

(By the way, while I wasn't a supporter before her announcement [mainly because I thought she was a short-time thing, but I'm glad Nintendo seem to be pushing her into more stuff], I do actually think she's a great addition to the roster).

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That doesn't justify adding two characters that do exactly the same thing.
srsly?.............................................................................Well, guys I think this is a good time to sign out...
I'll end on a context appropriate JonTron clip! :p
For the record, I don't give two ****s about Lucina/Marth. But the fact you are so insistent Male Wii Fit Trainer is his own character is just beyond foolish.

And also, yes, Lucina would be very similar to Marth, definitely. But as Marth's moves are mostly made up, so could Lucina's, and then her specials would be akin to Marth's.
Like Wolf. Nobody complains about him, right??

Also, Lucina is the ideal choice for an Awakening rep. She's popular and she would be an easy clone of Marth, killing two birds with one stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom