• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
So far, his focus for WiiU/3DS seems to be uniqueness.
I think you're underestimating how important popularity is. Sakurai wouldn't make a newcomer roster full of smaller names just because they form unique movesets. One of his primary goals is to obviously SELL the game (something a lot of people forget), so he's gotta put in the big names in all Smash games he makes.

People can only make fan-favorite posts from their perspective. There are some Animal Crossing fans that felt cheated out of a character, after all the music and a stage. When the series got a lot more popular with New Leaf, I'm sure more and more people came to love their little avatar.
Well no, I know that AC is a big-name series for Nintendo now (I backed the inclusion of an AC rep in both Brawl and SSB4), but "fan-favourite" is not that dependent on perspective - we all know who the big names are among the whole fanbase, and Sakurai is aware of that too.

And one of the main reasons Rosalina got in is her growing fanbase. She has a lot of fans. She's definitely 2nd to Mega Man. I don't know how you could possibly say she's not a real fan-favorite.
Well, she's not... Before her announcement as a character in SM3DW she had very little support for Smash compared to many other Mario newcomers. That is a fact.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No, in Brawl most of the newcomers were recent (Lucas, Ike, Lucario, Toon Link.) and all the rest had another reason to get in (Snake because Kojima is Sakurai's friend, Dedede and Meta Knight because Kirby needs another newcomer, and Pit and ROB as a retro and historical character.)That was his focus for Brawl.
So far, his focus for WiiU/3DS seems to be uniqueness.
Villager uses common objects and accidentally attacks people.
Wii Fit Trainer uses exersises,
Mega Man uses all his power ups from games, which means he uses various elements (Fire, Electric, Grass, etc)
And Rosalina uses Luma.
But also, since Smash 4 had a HUGE speculation fan base, Sakurai will choose some fan favorites, and the characters that are deemed shoe-in.
So Ridley, Palutena, Mac etc.
Sakurai doesn't have just one reason he adds specific characters. There are many factors.

Do you think half of those characters would've made the cut if not for popularity?

Meta Knight, Pit, Sonic, and Lucas were all highly requested.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
image.jpg

So this is my new roster.

Thoughts?

I added the Elite 4 of Smash (Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, and Mewtwo I think), and other popular and likely choices (K. Rool, Chrom, Isaac, Pac-Man, and Mii) and some of my wants that I deem likely (Tingle, and both a retro and historical character, Lip and Daitoryo).

So what does everyone think?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Celica's DLC art was made by a hentai artist? Well, that's a bit ironic, considering that other female characters got more fanservice-y designs, such as Micaiah.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I did say recency and relevance doesn't matter. What I mean is that it does not matter nearly as much as you people make it out to matter.

Recency is different in particular situations

EX: Vaati is a character that sort of just showed up in Zelda and disappeared for a bit. He's important to it, but his major appearances are few in number so it hurts him a little that he hasn't had a recent one (well technically he had the Anniversary Remake). Recency is something that HELPS a character be significant and relevant to their series AT THAT TIME. But, it doesn't automatically deem them as such.

But, Subaroo Garooh is a character who's been in a major Nintendo franchise from the beginning and serves as much importance to it as Falco does to Star Fox if not more. He's still important to this highly regarded and memorable franchise today regardless of when it's last newly made retail title was. So the situation of recency is different for him as his significance is great enough to override that.

Same goes for King K. Rool. He's been around since the beginning and was around for a long time. His importance to the franchise has already been stamped in permanent ink. You could leave him out for another 5 years, but he'd still be a big part of the franchise's history.

If he came in in the middle of it all and then just disappeared then that'd be a different situation. He'd be deemed as something that just came and went after a short period of time. That's not the situation for him, F-Zero, Goroh, Bowser Jr, Palutena or any of that.

Their history was long enough and big enough. It doesn't matter how long ago it was.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Sakurai doesn't have just one reason he adds specific characters. There are many factors.

Do you think half of those characters would've made the cut if not for popularity?

Meta Knight, Pit, Sonic, and Lucas were all highly requested.
I know, I am just saying that uniqueness seems to playing a pretty big role.

SOMEONE RATE MY ROSTER!

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
View attachment 6601

Thoughts?

I added the Elite 4 of Smash (Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, and Mewtwo I think), and other popular and likely choices (K. Rool, Chrom, Isaac, Pac-Man, and Mii) and some of my wants that I deem likely (Tingle, and both a retro and historical character, Lip and Daitoryo).

HOLD_THE_****_UP.gif
I think Lucina is the better choice...:cool:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yes, but his likeliness doesn't directly have to do with competition.
If Dixie were to get in in a Diddy team, K. Rool would be the next newcomer.
I'm just saying people overrate his likeliness. They say he's a shoe-in and that's overrating it.

@Louie G.
@ Depressed Gengar Depressed Gengar
Just because recency doesn't matter for one thing doesn't mean it doesn't matter for something else.

I take it you cant' think of a reason why.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If Lucina have the "Grandmaster Class" she will be able to use her sword and magic.
Oh, sure. Because Grandmaster Lucina is her most iconic and well-known appearance... :rolleyes:

If Lucina is to have that class in Smash, it might be better to have the Avatar/Robin in the roster instead.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
View attachment 6601

Thoughts?

Needs more Vaati :awesome:

View attachment 6606 I think Lucina is the better choice...:cool:
Wait, so there's someone else here besides me that thinks Lucina is more likely than Chrom?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Lucina simply won't happen. She's essentially a female Marth. She even disguises as him during the beginning of the game, for crying out loud!

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Oh, sure. Because Grandmaster Lucina is her most iconic and well-known appearance... :rolleyes:
This is what I can't stand..."Hey, this character did this!!! It should be their main ability in Smash!!!" when it's not their main ability let alone a significant one.

If Lucina have the "Grandmaster Class" she will be able to use her sword and magic.
That's nice. She's not getting it though so you might want take your hopes to the vet and have them put down.

If Lucina is a separate character than Male Wii Fit Trainer should be a separate character.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think Lucina could actually be pretty unique as her own character without using magic.
By being a Marth clone?

She looks exactly like him and uses the same sword. Even if she has a different playstyle, she would feel very redundant with Marth already in the game.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I take it you cant' think of a reason why.
Okay, okay, I'm going to try and explain this to you, alright? I'm gonna try my hardest to make you understand the flaw in your logic.

Lucina is not Marth.
Lucina is not Chrom.
Lucina is Lucina.

Male WFT is Wii Fit Trainer.
Female WFT is Wii Fit Trainer.
Both forms are the same character.

Crazy, I know.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Lucina is essentially a female Marth, for crying out loud.

The only way she's getting in the game is as an alt. for Marth. Switch the voice clips, change the design and BAM! Lucina playable.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Well, she could basically play like Marth, except much more combo oriented with her slightly weak, shorter Falchion as she wouldn't have the tip of the sword technique like Marth has. Maybe her normals can be completely different too.
Wow! That's your idea of unique? Pichu was 10x more unique than that.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
How the ****?
By being a Marth clone?

She looks exactly like him and uses the same sword. Even if she has a different playstyle, she would feel very redundant with Marth already in the game.
Not sure if you guys actually played Awakening. She seems pretty unique in all of her attacks. And how would it be redundant with Marth already in the game? That's like saying Luigi's redundant with Mario in the game.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Okay, okay, I'm going to try and explain this to you, alright? I'm gonna try my hardest to make you understand the flaw in your logic.

Lucina is not Marth.
Lucina is not Chrom.
Lucina is Lucina.

Crazy, I know.
Uh, no. Male Wii Fit Trainer and Female Wii Fit Trainer are different characters. Unless you are suggesting that Wii Fit Trainer is a hermaphrodite that can change the visibility of her alternate genders at will.

Robin is the only character with different genders that is the same character. Because only one exists based on who you choose from the beginning. You can't choose the other when the first has been born into the game.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Not sure if you guys actually played Awakening. She seems pretty unique in all of her attacks. And how would it be redundant with Marth already in the game? That's like saying Luigi's redundant with Mario in the game.
I have played Awakening, so I know what I'm talking about.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Uh, no. Male Wii Fit Trainer and Female Wii Fit Trainer are different characters. Unless you are suggesting that Wii Fit Trainer is a hermaphrodite that can change the visibility of her alternate genders at will.
Robin is the only character with different genders that is the same character. Because only one exists based on who you choose from the beginning. You can't choose the other when the first has been born into the game.
Oh alright, so Wii Fit Trainer has a backstory? Is Wii Fit Trainer confused about his/her gender identity?
No. Wii Fit Trainer is a mascot, not a character. Hell, you could say WFT is an it. The only reason there are different genders is because a player might prefer a different image and voice when they do yoga.

Lucina is her own character, with her own backstory, her own history, and most importantly, her own explicitly stated gender identity.
You can't make her a dude and then call her Chrom.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
View attachment 6607 I'm guesting that you didn't play fire emblem awakening... -___-
I have, so there goes your assumption down the gutter.

Design-wise, Lucina would feel heavily redundant with Marth. This is not good for roster variety. Same body proportions and same outfit, just with boobs and longer hair.

Not to mention she is not the central character to Awakening's plot (Chrom and Robin/Avatar are). Why would Sakurai choose a Marth lookalike for the Fire Emblem newcomer?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Not sure if you guys actually played Awakening. She seems pretty unique in all of her attacks
Having the least or most uniqueness from a character doesn't matter as long as you're already similar enough them according to EVERY clone/semi clone in the Smash series.

The only time a similar character doesn't become a clone is if they don't have enough similarities. For Example: Rosalina, Ike, Dixie, Lucario, and Jigglypuff don't have enough similarities to be clones of the characters they resemble.

That's like saying Luigi's redundant with Mario in the game.
No, dude...It's REALLY not like that.

No Control

Smash Apprentice

Lucina is not Marth.
Lucina is not Chrom.
Lucina is Lucina.

Crazy, I know.
I agree with this. "Wii Fit Trainer", like "Villager" and "Pokemon Trainer", are generic titles, which is why they are compatible with alts that change their gender.

Chrom, Marth and Lucina are named characters.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Lucina is essentially a female Marth, for crying out loud.
You could say the same for chrom too, to be specific he'd be a marth and ike hybrid. nothing different.

Design-wise, Lucina would feel heavily redundant with Marth. This is not good for roster variety. Same body proportions and same outfit, just with boobs and longer hair.
Lol Poor lucy doesn't have boobs. (sorry I had to throw that in there xD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom