• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
It is true.
The GamFaqs calendar suddenly ends at page 2012.
That means all threads will be deleted and Slippy will be confirmed as the new FE newcomer.
Along with Popple as the Kirby newcomer, and King Harkinian as the StarFox newcomer.

Reznor

work in progress
why do you guys want another wussy swordsman when we can have a manly lance guy

ephraim.jpg

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Wait, so...
Roy can use an axe...
But Chrom can't use a javelin....
:urg:
Yeah, I don't know what Saturn is on about there. I doubt Roy would be given an Axe, since he never uses them in FE6.

If anything, Roy should use Dark Magic:

:troll:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Oh... Oh dear god, the Smashpocalypse is upon us! :troll:
:eek:

@Louie G. I only mentioned the Axe to shoot down the defense that the Javelin would make Chrom more unique than Roy. Not that either would use them.
But according to Sakurai, they all gotta go Sword or go home. Wish it wasn't the case.

Reznor

work in progress
THE MIYANS PREDICTED THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, no wait. No they didn't. They just died so we predicted something would happen because they didn't predict it wouldn't happen...
actually the Mayan calendar works like a clock it doesn't end it just goes back to 12:00 again

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Wanna know why PAC man doesn't fit in at all for me? Actually, I can't put my finger on it, but I don't mind virtually any other character designs in smash.

Probably the only people who don't mind PAC man's new design are people who played the games as a kid.

D

Deleted member

Hold up, Roy can use an axe?!
Wat.

Anyways, On the subject of Sakurai going to IS, we don't really know if he would do that this time around.

Think about it; between Melee and July 7th 2005 (when the character list would be "finalized"), there were 4 Fire Emblem titles to consider (one of which being Roy's game) with a 5th one being developed.
With a wide assortment of characters available from these newer titles, Sakurai would have to have a little assistance in picking one out.

Between Brawl and now, we've only had 3 titles. Two being remakes of Marth's older games. So really, the only fresh faces to look at would be from Awakening.
With just the main trio of Awakening (Chrom, Robin, Lucina) to look at, I'm pretty sure Sakurai can decide what to do on his own without needing a suggestion.

If anything, Roy should use Dark Magic:

Eliwood can use Dark Magic?
....forget Roy, let's have Daddy.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Btw: Why is Lucina as a separate character more justified than Male Wii Fit Trainer as a separate character!?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think Chrom is one of the coolest Fire Emblem characters, but your reasons aren't why he will work, but why he CAN work...and not in a good way.

It's not the fact that Chrom can't be unique because he has a sword, but rather that his sword is basically the same as Marth's.

You keep saying what he CAN use, but never focus on what he most likely WILL use. Using his sword to perform magic is not something Chrom is known for any more than Marth or Ike. You keep saying he CAN use Lances and Axes, but does he hardly ever?
Lances, anyway. Great Lord (his major promotional path) gains access to them, but Axes are locked to an optional DLC class, the Dread Fighter. :p Or Great Knight, if Chrom gets that, too. Anyway, while I respect your viewpoint, perhaps I can offer mine?

I mean Sakurai could have made Falco unique in tons of ways. Star Fox Assualt had Bazookas, grenades, and machine guns. But, instead Sakurai made him a clone of Fox. This is most likely because he's MEANT to be a clone of Fox and that would be more true to his character than a bunch of insignificant items that he technically has used before. Yeah, Sakurai COULD give Falco all those weapons, but he's not going to.
To be fair, he was made a clone before Assault. It seems more like Sakurai thought, "why bother" during Brawl and only semi-decloned him. Maybe because the groundwork was already laid, as silly as it seems (that said, I hope Falco gets reworked this time around).

And what is this claim that Sakurai makes newcomers work in ways we didn't expect. Is that you're way of justifying making a move set that doesn't make sense? What if we DID expect it? At least what we didn't expect made sense. Just because it's unexpected doesn't mean the move set making process is completely out of whack and unorganized.

Like you said: It depends on how Sakurai works on him. Well, maybe you should focus on how Sakurai has worked on past characters and not how YOU and other Smash fans would work on characters if you were in his place. When we come up with move sets it's not always logical to assume he has the same thing in mind. Most likely due to Sakurai having criteria for what characters become clones and what characters don't, the LIKELY outcome is that Chrom would be seen as "Marth clone". Whether or not you see that as "fair" or "justified" will not matter to Sakurai if he sees it that way. He's made many unfair and unjustified decisions on characters.
Personally, I think Chrom can be made unique by Sakurai just going by a bit of the past. Allow me to explain.

Sakurai digs deep to find things for character playstyles, and manages to still stay true to the character. Take Rosalina. Before her reveal, a depressingly large amount of people wrote her off as a "Peach clone." Now admittedly, my hypothetical idea I had for her was different than Sakurai's, as you seem to be suggesting here (for reference, I had an idea for her to change the gravitational pull on her and her opponents to pull off some crazy shenanigans, which kinda came to fruition on her [assumed] Down Special :p ), but Sakurai still had it make sense for Rosalina as a whole. Her relationship with the Lumas (a huge part of her character) is wonderfully represented in her moveset, given a puppeteer playstyle.

As a continuation, Sakurai's a self-proclaimed huge Fire Emblem fan (he even took over for Iwata on the Iwata Asks for Shadow Dragon). I'm sure he could dig deep there. For example, one idea I had was a stance system, which is outlined in this collapse tag.

Idea: Chrom gets in with a stance-change mechanic that lets him switch between using the Falchion and the Spear depending on the situation, to make him more diverse.

Essentially, in Falchion mode, he's stronger, heavier and focuses on staying alive (with an added healing mechanic). Spear mode allows him to be faster and have more reach and a projectile at the expense of weight and power. His specials take on new properties, as well. The others are pretty much stat changes with different aesthetics, though, for time purposes.

The Down Special would allow Chrom to change his weapon, his playstyle referencing the gameplay in Fire Emblem in the fact that he uses the right weapon to strategically fit the situation.

While the Side and Up Specials, are vary depending on the weapon, Chrom's Neutral Special stays the same. It's the Shield of Seals, which then ignites in holy fire. Chrom holds the shield in front of him and rushes forward. Unlike other "charge forward" moves, this move takes the foe WITH Chrom. He doesn't stop unless the player jumps or hits a ledge. This move does flame damage and upward knockback, as to be avoidable. If held for too long, Chrom takes some minor burn damage. As a callback to Awakening, Chrom's Shield of Seals Neutral Special would be called "Rightful King."

Chrom's side special and up special are the two halves of Aether divided: Luna and Sol, respectively. In Falchion mode, Luna is similar in appearance to Ike's Quick Draw, but has the effect of Marth's Shield Breaker. He rushes forward and causes light damage, but ignores the effect of shields. This move causes NO KNOCKBACK, however, and has some ending lag. In Spear mode, Luna is instead a a projectile attack in which Chrom lobs his spear in an arc at the opponent. The arc can be controlled, and he tosses it like a javelin.

Chrom's Up Special is Sol. During Falchion mode, Chrom uses his Exalted weapon to swing himself upward. If it hits a foe, you'll even recover a bit of health, similar to Ness and Lucas' down special. During Sol in Spear mode, Chrom leaps upward (higher than Falchion mode) and descends in a diagonal fashion. While easier to use and hit with, Chrom cannot heal in Spear mode, so pick wisely.

For fun, Chrom's Final Smash is Dual Strike+. In this, he calls in the (cloaked) Avatar and Lucina, who help Chrom beat down the opposition.

Generally, Chrom's playstyle would involve switching his weapon to fit the situation: Falchion for power and durability, or Spear for reach and speed, separating him from Marth and Ike. Chrom's positives and negatives both stem from his adaptability. He NEEDS to use the right thing at the right time, or he'll suffer. Anyway, that's just how I see Chrom working in Smash. I feel he'd make a great Stance guy, a classic fighting game archetype that Smash Bros. currently lacks.

As such, this is based on an important aspect of Fire Emblem: tactical weapon usage. Using the right weapon in the right situation is not yet seen in Smash, despite it being a key component in Fire Emblem. Plus, Rosalina shows that Sakurai's not above adding new concepts, and Smash still lacks a Stance character, so I think it's not unreasonable to think Sakurai may go this route. Just my thought on the matter. :)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Oh, and btw:
Hold up, Roy can use an axe?!
Wat.
Technically. In FE13's DLC, Roy is classed as a Mercenary/Hero (depending on the situation), so he does sort of have access to Axes. But he never used them in FE6.

Edit: And I don't think he actually uses Axes in his DLC/Spotpass appearances either.

D

Deleted member

Oh, and btw:

Technically. In FE13's DLC, Roy is classed as a Mercenary/Hero (depending on the situation), so he does sort of have access to Axes. But he never used them in FE6.
I see.
That's why I was confused; wasn't taking FE13 DLC into account since no one else does.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Fun fact: Sakurai and Iwata aren't the best of friends. You can see hints of that in various moments.
For example, Iwata announced that there would be a 3rd Smash game before he even told Sakurai, which basically screwed Sakurai over and made him make online crappy for time-constraints.
And also in the direct Rosalina was announced, after the Rosalina trailer with Rainbow Road in it, Iwata said, "Apparently, Mr. Sakurai thinks we should release more information on Mario Kart 8. Though I have to give him some credit, since we were planning to show a new MarioKart8 trailer today. Take a look."

It makes Iwata sound much more like an @$$hole when it is actually written out and not spoken awkwardly in Iwata's non-native language.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I see.
That's why I was confused; wasn't taking FE13 DLC into account since no one else does.
Actually, if you take DLC in to account, DLC/Spotpass!Roy can reclass into any other class, including Dark Mag/Sorceror.

So if you were to take DLC in to account, you could technically say that Roy can use Dark Magic.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Personally, I think Chrom can be made unique by Sakurai just going by a bit of the past. Allow me to explain.

Sakurai digs deep to find things for character playstyles, and manages to still stay true to the character. Take Rosalina. Before her reveal, a depressingly large amount of people wrote her off as a "Peach clone." Now admittedly, my hypothetical idea I had for her was different than Sakurai's, as you seem to be suggesting here (for reference, I had an idea for her to change the gravitational pull on her and her opponents to pull off some crazy shenanigans, which kinda came to fruition on her [assumed] Down Special :p ), but Sakurai still had it make sense for Rosalina as a whole. Her relationship with the Lumas (a huge part of her character) is wonderfully represented in her moveset, given a puppeteer playstyle.
Lumas and the sole innovation of Super Mario Galaxy isn't digging very deep. And if Sakurai is a huge Fire Emblem fan it's fair to assume he'd dig a little deep, but a lance is just one move and like I said Sakurai basically shot down Leif who was arguably no worse than Chrom in terms of uniquness. So being a Fire Emblem fan probably won't change that.

Idea: Chrom gets in with a stance-change mechanic that lets him switch between using the Falchion and the Spear depending on the situation, to make him more diverse.
Okay, that's cool. But, again it's an IDEA that you came up with. In reality the alternate weaponry is nowhere near significant enough to become this big apart of Chrom's move set.

As such, this is based on an important aspect of Fire Emblem: tactical weapon usage. Using the right weapon in the right situation is not yet seen in Smash, despite it being a key component in Fire Emblem.
But, this is a concept based on the GAME's mechanics. Not on Chrom's mechanics.

Plus, Rosalina shows that Sakurai's not above adding new concepts, and Smash still lacks a Stance character, so I think it's not unreasonable to think Sakurai may go this route. Just my thought on the matter. :)
I think it is unreasonable to assume Sakurai would go the route of a concept YOU came up with. That's like assuming he'd come up with Mr. Hanafuda and add him.

While not a good concept for Chrom, it's a great concept for the game. A character that changed move sets while remaining the same character would be interesting.

D

Deleted member

I actually don't see Roy's DLC outfit coming in if he returns to be honest.

If Marth had been in his, I might have, but since he doesn't, I don't see Roy (or Ike) having his.

D

Deleted member

Actually, if you take DLC in to account, DLC/Spotpass!Roy can reclass into any other class, including Dark Mag/Sorceror.

So if you were to take DLC in to account, you could technically say that Roy can use Dark Magic.

But couldn't Ike or Marth do that as well, or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom