• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

andimidna

Smash Master
But no Kirby newcomers is a realistic outlook whether people want to believe it or not, and again, some of this could happen regardless of whether or not it was put in this rumor list. K.Rool IS the most likely Donkey Kong newcomer, Ridley DOES have a chance at being playable, Mewtwo WILL most likely return, Magnus, Fawful and Tom Nook WILL most likely be assist trophies, and Pac-Man, as unwanted as he is in most circles, IS likely.
I wouldn't say King K Rool is the most 'likely'. It could go either way, we don't know what Nintendo thinks of the character, it seems like they're getting less afraid of... idk... Rare suing them? I see it like... they're past just dipping their toe in the water, but haven't completely jumped in. We know Nintendo likes Dixie and Cranky, but we still don't know what Sakurai thinks of them...

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Fun fact: Sakurai and Iwata aren't the best of friends. You can see hints of that in various moments.
For example, Iwata announced that there would be a 3rd Smash game before he even told Sakurai, which basically screwed Sakurai over and made him make online crappy for time-constraints.
And also in the direct Rosalina was announced, after the Rosalina trailer with Rainbow Road in it, Iwata said, "Apparently, Mr. Sakurai thinks we should release more information on Mario Kart 8. Though I have to give him some credit, since we were planning to show a new MarioKart8 trailer today. Take a look."

It makes Iwata sound much more like an @$$hole when it is actually written out and not spoken awkwardly in Iwata's non-native language.
"We didn't discuss what other content would be included in this Nintendo Direct with Smash Brothers director Masahiro Sakurai, but he must've figured it was about time to show more on Mario Kart 8 when he created that video. I have to give Mr. Sakurai some credit, because here is the latest video for Mario Kart 8."

Really, I don't see how that makes him "sound much more like an @$$hole" at all. He's just commenting on the Mario Kart theme and leading up to the next trailer.

andimidna

Smash Master
But no Kirby newcomers is a realistic outlook whether people want to believe it or not, and again, some of this could happen regardless of whether or not it was put in this rumor list. K.Rool IS the most likely Donkey Kong newcomer, Ridley DOES have a chance at being playable, Mewtwo WILL most likely return, Magnus, Fawful and Tom Nook WILL most likely be assist trophies, and Pac-Man, as unwanted as he is in most circles, IS likely.
I wouldn't say King K Rool is the most 'likely'. It could go either way, we don't know what Nintendo thinks of the character, it seems like they're getting less afraid of... idk... Rare suing them? I see it like... they're past just dipping their toe in the water, but haven't completely jumped in. We know Nintendo likes Dixie and Cranky, but we still don't know what Sakurai thinks of them...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Dixie has less potential to be unique than K. Rool, and uniqueness is a huge factor in SSB4's character choices.
And Cranky is too little too late imo. Then again, that's what I said about Rosalina.
King K. Rool's likeliness is overrated.
Although I can agree with this. Same with Ridley.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I believe Nintendo own the rights to K. Rool.

Retro just hates the character thus never uses him. Unless Vi King K. Rool turns out to be the boss like people joked.

Do we actually know what Nintendo think of K. Rool? Is there any source on discussion of the character anywhere?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
"We didn't discuss what other content would be included in this Nintendo Direct with Smash Brothers director Masahiro Sakurai, but he must've figured it was about time to show more on Mario Kart 8 when he created that video. I have to give Mr. Sakurai some credit, because here is the latest video for Mario Kart 8."

Really, I don't see how that makes him "sound much more like an @$$hole" at all. He's just commenting on the Mario Kart theme and leading up to the next trailer.
It just seems abit sarcastic.

Anyways, I was watching Pizzadudeman's Dedede Dojo Update, and someone in the comments stated that Dedede's facial expressions look a lot like the anime Dedede's expression.
I am now praying that he gets the anime voice.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
"Recency just defies logic on this website"
-SaturnGamer64

Stop being hypocritical. First you say that recency doesn't matter at all, and now you say that it is one of the most important factors.
I love ya man, but make up your mind.
Where did I say recency doesn't matter and when did I say it's one of the most important factors.

EDIT: I did reply that it was most important. I meant to say it's ALSO important. Not most important.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The thing is that most of the popular characters on here aren't shoo ins. Far from it. Each one of them has a legitimate reason to not include them, as bad as that sounds.

It may in fact turn out that Ridley is too difficult to program. K.Rool may not be considered a big part of Donkey Kong, and Sakurai wants to pick Dixie or Cranky. Palutena may get looked past. Sakurai might think Little Mac is lame.

Mewtwo, in my opinion, is the only one who is almost a guarantee at this point.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
The thing with K. Rool and other popular newcomers is that we will definitely get some of them.

In Brawl, sure there were some left-field choices (Snake, PT, R.O.B. to name a few), but the majority of the newcomers were total fan-favourites.

The only real fan-favourite we've got so far is Mega Man, so I think we'll start to get a few of K. Rool/Ridley/Palutena/Dixie Kong/Little Mac/Shulk soon enough (though, of course, probably not all of them).

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Dixie has less potential to be unique than K. Rool, and uniqueness is a huge factor in SSB4's character choices.
And Cranky is too little too late imo. Then again, that's what I said about Rosalina.

Although I can agree with this. Same with Ridley.
I don't think she lacks the ability to be unique, but I would prefer if she was in a duo with Diddy.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
K. Rool has uniqueness and popularity on his side.
Dixie has recency and the fact that she would be easy to make.
The obvious solution is to add them both.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The thing with K. Rool and other popular newcomers is that we will definitely get some of them.

In Brawl, sure there were some left-field choices (Snake, PT, R.O.B. to name a few), but the majority of the newcomers were total fan-favourites.

The only real fan-favourite we've got so far is Mega Man, so I think we'll start to get a few of K. Rool/Ridley/Palutena/Dixie Kong/Palutena/Shulk soon enough (though, of course, probably not all of them).
No, in Brawl most of the newcomers were recent (Lucas, Ike, Lucario, Toon Link.) and all the rest had another reason to get in (Snake because Kojima is Sakurai's friend, Dedede and Meta Knight because Kirby needs another newcomer, and Pit and ROB as a retro and historical character.)
That was his focus for Brawl.

So far, his focus for WiiU/3DS seems to be uniqueness.
Villager uses common objects and accidentally attacks people.
Wii Fit Trainer uses exersises,
Mega Man uses all his power ups from games, which means he uses various elements (Fire, Electric, Grass, etc)
And Rosalina uses Luma.

But also, since Smash 4 had a HUGE speculation fan base, Sakurai will choose some fan favorites, and the characters that are deemed shoe-in.
So Ridley, Palutena, Mac etc.

andimidna

Smash Master

The only real fan-favourite we've got so far is Mega Man, so I think we'll start to get a few of K. Rool/Ridley/Palutena/Dixie Kong/Palutena/Shulk soon enough (though, of course, probably not all of them).
People can only make fan-favorite posts from their perspective. There are some Animal Crossing fans that felt cheated out of a character, after all the music and a stage. When the series got a lot more popular with New Leaf, I'm sure more and more people came to love their little avatar.

And one of the main reasons Rosalina got in is her growing fanbase. She has a lot of fans. She's definitely 2nd to Mega Man. I don't know how you could possibly say she's not a real fan-favorite.

andimidna

Smash Master
No, in Brawl most of the newcomers were recent (Lucas, Ike, Lucario, Toon Link.) and all the rest had another reason to get in (Snake because Kojima is Sakurai's friend, Dedede and Meta Knight because Kirby needs another newcomer, and Pit and ROB as a retro and historical character.)
That was his focus for Brawl.

So far, his focus for WiiU/3DS seems to be uniqueness.
Villager uses common objects and accidentally attacks people.
Wii Fit Trainer uses exersises,
Mega Man uses all his power ups from games, which means he uses various elements (Fire, Electric, Grass, etc)
And Rosalina uses Luma.

But also, since Smash 4 had a HUGE speculation fan base, Sakurai will choose some fan favorites, and the characters that are deemed shoe-in.
So Ridley, Palutena, Mac etc.
Better watch out with the word shoo-in. Last time i used it, for some reason, it was hilarious. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom