• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly feel at this point, Chrom's not getting in if he doesn't have someone tag along, be it Robin or Lucina, to go along with Awakening's Dual system.

EDIT: And I agree, Hades would be quite epic.
I agree with that sentiment, it does seem like he would be most feasible with a tag-along. At the same time, I (surprisingly) have faith in Sakurai to make his move-set unique even if he is on his own. However, I do not even think Sakurai would tackle that obstacle as it would probably be easier to recreate Roy. He could always do both, contrary to popular belief.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Are we talking about Fire Emblem?
Again?
I don't see why Chrom CAN'T make it in by himself, although a dual system mechanic would be cool.

D

Deleted member

It's not that he can't, it's that it's easier to imagine him not being alone.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't see Adol, shame on you.
Fix'd. :troll:
I can.

And English isn't my native language and I don't speak German. (I do know a few words, though...)
I don't speak any German at all and I can pronounce it.

And if you can't figure it out, just use Google translate. Pronunciations are one of the few things it's good at.

Reznor

work in progress
so do people hate Chrom because he lowers Roys chances or do they genuinely hate him for some other reason

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I honestly feel at this point, Chrom's not getting in if he doesn't have someone tag along, be it Robin or Lucina, to go along with Awakening's Dual system.

EDIT: And I agree, Hades would be quite epic.
Now, let's be serious for a second.
I am not singling you out on this, but since you brought up Chrom, I think I should mention this.

A lot of people in the Smash fan base are "in denial" about certain characters they do not like.
Specifically, Chrom and Pac-Man.

•For Chrom, people think he cannot be unique for some reason.
JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE DOESNT HAVE A SWORD, DOESNT MEAN HE/SHE CANT BE UNIQUE!
He could use the Falchion not only as a sword, but.......
Wait for it....

A MAGIC SWORD!

He doesn't have to be restricted to the Falchion. He can use lances, spears, and axes.
He can be unique, it depends how Sakurai works him.
Every newcomer we have gotten so far, Sakurai has made work in a way we didn't expect (we didn't expect WFT at all).

•For Pac Man, people just hate the modern Pac Man. So do I.
But Sakurai said 3rd parties have to be gaming all stars.
I think after Mario, Mega Man, and Sonic, Pac Man is the definition of Gaming All Star.
He can look like his modern self, but not speak and just make classic sound effects and use classic moves.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Are we talking about Fire Emblem?
Again?
I don't see why Chrom CAN'T make it in by himself, although a dual system mechanic would be cool.
Of course he can be in, but there's no real reason to expect Sakurai to be on board with the idea. If it's because of relevance it'd most likely be Robin he picks.

D

Deleted member

Again, not saying he can't do well on his own.

However, it's easier to imagine the Dual system considering Chrom isn't the only main protagonist (he shares the spotlight with Robin), and isn't the only character with mass marketing appeal (he shares this with Lucina). That, and Awakening is what introduced it in the first place.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Hey guys what's the current topic?

Oh, btw do you guys like my new avatar? I made it with my tears.
The topics are an argument whether Chrom will get in or not and what is going for/against him, and assist trophies and how they affect a characters importance in Smash, and if Sakurai is possibly making certain characters as assists so they will be more relevant and known, and Sakurai can add them as newcomer in SSB5 or something.

And I like the new avatar!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Of course he can be in, but there's no real reason to expect Sakurai to be on board with the idea. If it's because of relevance it'd most likely be Robin he picks.
Can someone explain to me why Sakurai would skip over the main lord of Awakening for your avatar under the recency circumstance?
I still don't really understand why everyone considers Robin so likely.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The sociopathy on this thread is disheartening.

If any of your guys' favorite characters were deconfirmed, I'd feel really bad for you. But if Ridley or someone else gets deconfirmed "Haha! Drink their tears!". We're a community; while we don't usually get along, if there's anything this board should be sensitive to it'd be deconfirmed favorites. It's downright disappointing.

Don't let their noise get to you. Most of the people passive-aggressively wanting popular characters disconfirmed are the OCD lunatics that rustle S. Jones' jimmies so badly, plaguing the front page with their stupid characters up to and including real-life sports mascots. Deep down, they're well aware that Kawahanatarafudashimastork or whatever the hell they want is never happening, so they want to drag down everyone else to their level so that nobody is ultimately happy. Don't let that happen. Rise above.

Nice GIF, though. There's an entire subreddit dedicated to Costanza GIFs for a reason.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Fix'd. :troll:

I don't speak any German at all and I can pronounce it.

And if you can't figure it out, just use Google translate. Pronunciations are one of the few things it's good at.
Dieser Satz ist in Deutsch.
この文は日本語である。
דעם זאַץ איז אין ייִדיש

D

Deleted member

Probably because Chrom isn't any more "main" than Robin?
They're both main characters, and it can be argued that Robin is more "main" (though for the sake of this discussion, I will not argue that).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
so do people hate Chrom because he lowers Roys chances or do they genuinely hate him for some other reason
People hate the idea of some guy potentially getting rid of Ike. Since Ike is a unique character. Chrom doesn't really have anything super special about him either. At least that's what I gathered. I don't know much about the guy. But every time I try and find out more about him I don't get much myself.

Hey guys what's the current topic?

Oh, btw do you guys like my new avatar? I made it with my tears.
You think you could have puppy getting kicked for extra feeling? That could make it a 10/10 avatar. No? Just throwing out ideas.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I dislike Chrom because he's a terrible, uninteresting character, both in the sense of his character(since he's an idiot who never goes through any development), and in the sense of his gameplay, since he'd largely end up being redundant next to Ike since their both swordsmen who use One-Handed Zweihanders and who focus on Strength over speed.

"B-but shinpichu, he can use spears!" Okay, so he can chuck a Javelin in one of his moves. Not sure how that makes him soooooooo unique from Ike.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
It's mostly (I assume) because people can't let go of Ike, just like they can't let go of Roy. People liked him in Brawl, so they don't want to lose him, even though it's the Smash Bros. way to move on from the last Lord onto the newer one.

Of course, keeping Ike and giving us Robin would fix that. They could keep their husbando, sane people can get a new and unique character.

PROTIP: Ike and Roy are only as popular as they are because they were in Smash.

I dislike Chrom because he's a terrible, uninteresting character.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Whether you like Chrom or not doesn't make him more or less likely.
Everyone hates Chrom because he's "boring" or too much like Ike or Marth, but why don't you just wait and see what Sakurai can do?
I'm sure that if Sakurai chooses Chrom, he'll make him a great character.
And the reason people don't find Chrom likely is the same reason that people don't find Pac-Man and Miis likely.
SPOILER ALERT: It's denial.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Can someone explain to me why Sakurai would skip over the main lord of Awakening for your avatar under the recency circumstance?
I still don't really understand why everyone considers Robin so likely.
I myself don't consider anybody but Chrom likely. I understand that Lucina is advertised alongside Chrom, but adding Lucina without Chrom would be like adding Luigi without Mario to me. I just don't see her happening.

Robin I think is overrated. Chrom and Lucina are more heavily advertised, and when it gets right down to it, would be the ones IS would recommend, assuming Sakurai goes to them.

My words to the wise are: I know people don't like the idea, but if I were you, I would keep your Fire Emblem expectations low and expect Chrom to get in. Chrom and Robin are essentially the two main characters, and even so, Chrom is what appears to be the iconic character to the title. Lucina is a major plot device/character, and if the player decides to do so, can sit the rest of the game out. She plays just as much importance to Awakening as Soren does to Path of Radiance. Important, but not important enough to get into Smash. Soren would never get in Smash over Ike, so why would Lucina get in over Chrom?

This isn't even because of my bias for Chrom. I just think people automatically assume that because Sakurai is looking for uniqueness and that he "gets what he wants" that there isn't going to be a single character who may or may not turn out to be "meh". I wouldn't expect that, because I doubt it will happen.

The main reason people clamor for Robin is that he/she is one of two main characters in Awakening and he'she brings something new to the table, using tomes and magic instead of a sword. However, I think Fire Emblem is doomed in this regard, and will likely get Chrom because he is so heavily advertised. It's a no brainer on IS's part quite honestly.

I don't expect Ike cut, and if he is cut for Chrom, that is the one scenario in which I would be supremely pissed off. Chrom has his potential, but he should in no way have to get in after Ike leaves. No character should be cut for some other character.

Morbi

Scavenger
Don't let their noise get to you. Most of the people passive-aggressively wanting popular characters disconfirmed are the OCD lunatics that rustle S. Jones' jimmies so badly, plaguing the front page with their stupid characters up to and including real-life sports mascots. Deep down, they're well aware that Kawahanatarafudashimastork or whatever the hell they want is never happening, so they want to drag down everyone else to their level so that nobody is ultimately happy. Don't let that happen. Rise above.

Nice GIF, though. There's an entire subreddit dedicated to Costanza GIFs for a reason.
Why can't I simply thrive off of despondency? Why must I secretly know that Kawahanatarafudashimastork isn't likely? It is just speculation on an internet forum. I don't understand why it is wrong for me to not like the popular choices. I am a hipster at heart. :sadeyes:

In all seriousness, I don't support the popular choices because I don't like them or want them. I do want my sweet little Tingle, Bandanna Dee, Hades, Lucina, Meowth, and Samurai Goroh though. I don't care if deep down I understand that they aren't happening. IDGAF.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I myself don't consider anybody but Chrom likely. I understand that Lucina is advertised alongside Chrom, but adding Lucina without Chrom would be like adding Luigi without Mario to me. I just don't see her happening.

Robin I think is overrated. Chrom and Lucina are more heavily advertised, and when it gets right down to it, would be the ones IS would recommend, assuming Sakurai goes to them.

My words to the wise are: I know people don't like the idea, but if I were you, I would keep your Fire Emblem expectations low and expect Chrom to get in. Chrom and Robin are essentially the two main characters, and even so, Chrom is what appears to be the iconic character to the title. Lucina is a major plot device/character, and if the player decides to do so, can sit the rest of the game out. She plays just as much importance to Awakening as Soren does to Path of Radiance. Important, but not important enough to get into Smash. Soren would never get in Smash over Ike, so why would Lucina get in over Chrom?

This isn't even because of my bias for Chrom. I just think people automatically assume that because Sakurai is looking for uniqueness and that he "gets what he wants" that there isn't going to be a single character who may or may not turn out to be "meh". I wouldn't expect that, because I doubt it will happen.

The main reason people clamor for Robin is that he/she is one of two main characters in Awakening and he'she brings something new to the table, using tomes and magic instead of a sword. However, I think Fire Emblem is doomed in this regard, and will likely get Chrom because he is so heavily advertised. It's a no brainer on IS's part quite honestly.

I don't expect Ike cut, and if he is cut for Chrom, that is the one scenario in which I would be supremely pissed off. Chrom has his potential, but he should in no way have to get in after Ike leaves. No character should be cut for some other character.
Sakurai does have options. As much as I want Robin, Chrom has a much better shot.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Oh they rustle all of the jimmies of my SOUL. The rustling never stops.

I shall enjoy the tears of sadness in my cauldron of satisfaction when the characters they strive to see playable are disconfirmed. I will enjoy the feast and laugh in the faces of those who oppose me.

The jimmies may rustle now...and frequently...but I will have my victory.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's mostly (I assume) because people can't let go of Ike, just like they can't let go of Roy. People liked him in Brawl, so they don't want to lose him, even though it's the Smash Bros. way to move on from the last Lord onto the newer one.

Of course, keeping Ike and giving us Robin would fix that. They could keep their husbando, sane people can get a new and unique character.

PROTIP: Ike and Roy are only as popular as they are because they were in Smash.
No offense, but anyone who thinks that Chrom will replace Ike and that "it is the Smash Bros. way to move on from the last Lord onto the newer one," should really stop speculating about Smash Brothers as they do not have the necessary fundamentals to make a competent opinion. IMO.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
No offense, but anyone who thinks that Chrom will replace Ike and that "it is the Smash Bros. way to move on from the last Lord onto the newer one," should really stop speculating about Smash Brothers as they do not have the necessary fundamentals to make a competent opinion. IMO.
Honestly I think Fire Emblem can easily warrant 3 characters.
4 is too much, but 3 is just fine.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I dunno, it has happened every time, even if "every" time is only two times. I don't think the chances of Ike being replaced by Chrom are too mind-blowingly low.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Everyone hates Chrom because he's "boring" or too much like Ike or Marth, but why don't you just wait and see what Sakurai can do?
And the reason people don't find Chrom likely is the same reason that people don't find Pac-Man and Miis likely.
But if Chrom isn't unique or interesting, what reason is there to include him over, say, Robin? A character from the same game as Chrom with arguably equal(if not more) importance? Every "argument" in favour of Chrom works just as well in favour of Robin, and Robin has the benefit of potentially bringing a playstyle not yet represented in Smash. Not to mention he could potentially be said to "represent" the My Unit/Avatar feature, which (for better or worse) looks to be sticking around in the series for now.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I've come to the understanding that Sakurai doesn't simply look for the most recent lord. If he did, he wouldn't have needed to ask IS anything in regards to character choice, and would've looked up stuff on Ike and whatever. I mean he would have asked about details and stuff, but whatever.

Anyway, as I said, root for who you want. But be careful friends. Don't get too crazy. I would expect Chrom, but root for your favorite. That way it's not as completely disappointing if Chrom does get in.

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh they rustle all of the jimmies of my SOUL. The rustling never stops.

I shall enjoy the tears of sadness in my cauldron of satisfaction when the characters they strive to see playable are disconfirmed. I will enjoy the feast and laugh in the faces of those who oppose me.

The jimmies may rustle now...and frequently...but I will have my victory.
Well think about it this way, you will not be feasting and laughing as only 2 or 3 people support stupid choices that aren't going to happen. However, I will be the one to enjoy the feast as fan favorites like K. Rool are de-confirmed... one by one. Masticating on their sorrow, digesting their fear and resentment. So many people support the Smashboards "shoe-in" characters. So I have a lot of salt, It might even back-fire and give me a stroke.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I can see it already.
Pac-Man is going to be in Smash 4, and the whole Smash fanbase will go through the 5 stages of grief.

Now it is in denial, saying Pac-Man is not going to be in.

When he gets in, the fanbase will be Angry, and will blame someone else, and for example, say that Namco forced Sakurai to put him in.

Then it's bargaining. People will say that if a bunch of people are mad and show their voices, Pac-Man will be cut in SSB5, or even be cut in DLC.

Then is Depression. The fanbase finally gives up and won't stop complaining about how much Pac-Man sucks and how stupid he is.

Finally it is acceptance. We all come to realize that Pac-Man is here to stay. He is one of the most iconic game characters, and is a logical and smart choice. Then we start to realize how unique and good his moveset is, or probably will be I mean.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well think about it this way, you will not be feasting and laughing as only 2 or 3 people support stupid choices that aren't going to happen. However, I will be the one to enjoy the feast as fan favorites like K. Rool are de-confirmed... one by one. Masticating on their sorrow, digesting their fear and resentment. So many people support the Smashboards "shoe-in" characters. So I have a lot of salt, It might even back-fire and give me a stroke.
I honestly think at least one of the four (Ridley, K.Rool, Palutena and Mewtwo) is at some point or another going to be disconfirmed. I expect it. Not even mentioning Mewtwo is essentially a shoo in.

I do think people have their expectations too high. Should all four get in? I would argue yes. But I wouldn't completely expect it.

Morbi

Scavenger
I dunno, it has happened every time, even if "every" time is only two times. I don't think the chances of Ike being replaced by Chrom are too mind-blowingly low.
Every time has only been once, actually.

I've come to the understanding that Sakurai doesn't simply look for the most recent lord. If he did, he wouldn't have needed to ask IS anything in regards to character choice, and would've looked up stuff on Ike and whatever. I mean he would have asked about details and stuff, but whatever.

Anyway, as I said, root for who you want. But be careful friends. Don't get too crazy. I would expect Chrom, but root for your favorite. That way it's not as completely disappointing if Chrom does get in.
If you didn't notice, I am only rooting for Chrom in hopes that Lucina is a costume or a tag-partner... or a Final Smash... or something. :love:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

So what I'm getting from this is, someone needs to have Mario dress as Chrom? and Lucina as Luigi? Well whose Marth, Peach right? Now we need to find out who Roy and Ike would be. Maybe Bowser and Doc? Or Rosalina and Bowser?

But I do find Chrom likely, not a lock though. I'll wait and see.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
But if Chrom isn't unique or interesting, what reason is there to include him over, say, Robin? A character from the same game as Chrom with arguably equal(if not more) importance? Every "argument" in favour of Chrom works just as well in favour of Robin, and Robin has the benefit of potentially bringing a playstyle not yet represented in Smash. Not to mention he could potentially be said to "represent" the My Unit/Avatar feature, which (for better or worse) looks to be sticking around in the series for now.
Robin is an important character, and likely as important as Chrom.
But looking back it's easy to see that Sakurai likes adding lords. Sure, maybe he wants to switch things up this time, but if you take into account the past Smash games...
Not to mention that Sakurai seems to think that the sword is the only weapon in Fire Emblem, but that's besides the point.
And frankly I find Robin even more boring than Chrom. Chrom is an actual character, Robin is an avatar. That's my opinion though.
(That being said I like Villager a lot)

UltimateWario

Smash Master
...so basically, you're an asshole. :U

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Robin is an important character, and likely as important as Chrom.
But looking back it's easy to see that Sakurai likes adding lords. Sure, maybe he wants to switch things up this time, but if you take into account the past Smash games...
Not to mention that Sakurai seems to think that the sword is the only weapon in Fire Emblem, but that's besides the point.
And frankly I find Robin even more boring than Chrom. Chrom is an actual character, Robin is an avatar. That's my opinion though.
(That being said I like Villager a lot)
Any evidence for why Sakurai won't or can't add a "Lord" aside from patterns? Or, for that matter, why Robin doesn't qualify as a "Lord"? He's a character that's central to the plot and who causes a Game Over when he dies, just like every other "Lord" in the history of Fire Emblem.

-Is it because he isn't called a Lord? That can't be it because then Micaiah, Alm, and Celica wouldn't be Lords either. Hell, Ike isn't called a Lord at all in RD.
-Is it because he isn't forced in every chapter? In that case, Hector wouldn't be a proper Lord because he is optional throughout most of FE7 unless you're playing on Hector mode(which you have to beat Eliwoood mode to get). Same goes for Ephraim, who is forced in ~2 chapters if you don't take his route in FE8? Also, if you want to get technical, then Sigurd and Seliph are only "forced" in FE4 by nature of you not being able to complete Chapters without them. Additionally, does this criteria mean that any character who is forced(i.e. Athos, Nils, Ena) could qualify as a Lord?

Plus, Lord is just a fan term used to refer to the main characters of each FE game. I've never seen evidence that the term is used officially by IS or anyone else at Nintendo.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
but if you take into account the past Smash games...
We have no idea what Sakurai thinks about a Robin esque character.

We've never had one before.

That's assuming quite a bit, isn't it?

If Sakurai goes to IS like he always does, they will almost definitely recommend Chrom, Lucina, or Chromcina.
Again. Assuming he'll go to them. He may not need to like he did with Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom