• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Snake is a gaming legend, his franchise revolutionized the Stealth genre. Just like how MegaMan, Sonic, and Mario revolutionized the side scrolling platform genre. Plus, Sakurai isn't looking for the easy way out, or else he wouldn't painstakingly make a game perfect. He hardly takes a vacation, and works to the point of injuries, so I don't expect him to think Snake isn't worth the effort.
Snake is worth the effort; however, the predominant complication is still as overt as ever. It isn't up to Sakurai. I just think the business perspective might be the overlying issue.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Snake is worth the effort; however, the predominant complication is still as overt as ever. It isn't up to Sakurai. I just think the business perspective might be the overlying issue.
It is exactly up to Sakurai. Nintendo can't tell him to not add a 3rd party character, otherwise they would have given a big no to Snake in Brawl too. I assume it's because Sakurai is with Sora, that might give him a bit more freedom, but I'm not going to pretend that I'm smart on that front.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, I think that if he managed to put Snake in Brawl, I'm sure he could bring him back this time. Honestly, I think Konami has got nothing to lose with that.

Also, if Sonic is back, why wouldn't Snake be too?

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I disagree. Snake was very well received in Brawl. I don't think having him return would in any way hinder the Metal Gear Solid series.

Morbi

Scavenger
It is exactly up to Sakurai. Nintendo can't tell him to not add a 3rd party character, otherwise they would have given a big no to Snake in Brawl too. I assume it's because Sakurai is with Sora, that might give him a bit more freedom, but I'm not going to pretend that I'm smart on that front.
No, I mean it is up to Kojima. Sakurai doesn't really have a say if the MGS developers do not want to license Snake to Nintendo for another Smash game. I can see why they wouldn't, it is just a bad business decision at this point. In Brawl, it was advantageous to both parties. Currently, this contractual obligation would heavily favor Nintendo. It could still happen as they have a friendship, but again... Pac-Man is the more ideal choice (who is, again, owned by the co-developers, this makes procuring the license vastly more simple).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
No, I mean it is up to Kojima. Sakurai doesn't really have a say if the MGS developers do not want to license Snake to Nintendo for another Smash game. I can see why they wouldn't, it is just a bad business decision at this point. In Brawl, it was advantageous to both parties. Currently, this contractual obligation would heavily favor Nintendo. It could still happen as they have a friendship, but again... Pac-Man is the more ideal choice (who is, again, owned by the co-developers, this makes procuring the license vastly more simple).
Oh. Well, it is kind of up to Kojima, but does he really care that much about the Wii U's sales? I mean, Snake's addition could help the Wii U (though I don't think it'd make that much of a difference), but Metal Gear Solid is still a Konami franchise, so it's not first party to Sony. In Kojima's case it'd be a win/win situation since it'd help bring that much more attention to Metal Gear Solid V from Nintendo fans, and even then I don't see Sony feeling threatened that they have a single character from MGS in Smash Bros., unless they of course plan a PSASBR 2, in which case it's still Kojima's decision.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Why would Kojima care? More exposure for Snake = More $$$.

He has no investment in the number of consoles sold. Only the games in which his property is present. Putting Snake in Smash would only give the games more publicity. Isn't that what anybody would want for their product? More attention and publicity?

Granted, MGS may not be on Wii U, but think of it this way. Snake only helps Smash. He is a superstar video game character. Quality 3rd party character characters in terms of Nintendo are hard to come by, and Snake proved to be a great addition gameplay wise. He is one of the most unique members of the roster.

Again, Snake already meets the requirements for any 3rd party, so the eligibility is not up for debate. The presence of MGS as a series has never been strong on Nintendo platforms. However, in light of that, Sakurai added him anyway for Brawl.

It does come down to Kojima wanting Snake in, but there is hardly any reason for him not to agree to it. Sakurai isn't not going to ask him about Snake if Sonic is already in. That would just be a **** move if he didn't.

EDIT: Also, the idea that Sakurai added Snake only because he felt obligated to is not provable, and even then is probably false.

I'll use the Meat Boy example again. If Kojima was Meat Boy's creator, I guarantee there wouldn't be a shot in hell that he would agree to it, and then adamantly fight and insist on his addition. Sakurai insisted that he add Snake. It worked out wonderfully in my opinion. It did exactly what it was intended to do, attract attention to Smash Bros.

If Sakurai was not keen on Snake, if Nintendo denied him, he would have said, "Sorry. No can do." Except he didn't.

A lot of the arguments I see against Snake are arguments that would have gone against him for Brawl. It's too late for many things to get in his way now if you ask me.

Morbi

Scavenger
I disagree. Snake was very well received in Brawl. I don't think having him return would in any way hinder the Metal Gear Solid series.
I wouldn't say that he was "well-received" that is far to empirical. I think "players were receptive to Snake's inclusion" is the more practical statement. His return wouldn't hinder Metal Gear Solid in any way, but it would not necessarily help it in any way either (not that I am implying that it must).

Well, I think that if he managed to put Snake in Brawl, I'm sure he could bring him back this time. Honestly, I think Konami has got nothing to lose with that.

Also, if Sonic is back, why wouldn't Snake be too?
This is going to be a really extreme example, I comprehend that this does not necessarily correlate to the situation we are currently discussing. This is just to illustrate why the licensing is a bad business decision.

The Wii U is performing pitifully, it is pathetic how absolutely poor it is doing in its first year. Snake, as many have asserted, is considered a gaming legend that innovated the stealth-based genre. Metal Gear Solid has always been that ideal stealth-game that everyone attempts to emulate. Sakurai's reveals Snake, this character is potentially enough to actually incite people to buy the game, especially if they really enjoyed Metal Gear Solid 5. Hence, Nintendo is literally persuading consumers to purchase Smash as Snake is one of the characters in the game. Sonic is another character that has this same effect.

So here is bad example time, realize that the applicable situation is dramatized and the effect is severely attenuated by comparison: Apple releases the "next big thing" maybe it is just a smaller tablet. It doesn't matter. This tablet is over-priced as it is attached to a reliable company. The tablet itself isn't impressive; however, Apple has exclusive rights to an app that is in high-demand. The competitor company, Snapple, is selling knock-off tablets. People already have a tablet for everything they need, but they want this new app for some reason. Snapple decides contract with Apple to acquire the license to this app (as Apple was not aware that the high demand for their product was solely based on this app). Long story short, nobody buys the new tablet from Apple and everyone purchases the Snapple tablet as it now has what they want in it. This is just a extreme example of how licensing something can be a bad thing, it doesn't really relate to Smash in the same way.

The point is that Nintendo customers are not going to buy MGS just because Snake is in, but MGS consumers are going to buy Smash just because Snake is in. They are essentially throwing the Wii U a bone by introducing a mainstream audience to the company. If this game is anything like MGS4, it will work and many Playstation/Xbox One fanboys that once tried Smash might come back to the franchise. It is kind of hard to explain. Maybe a business major can help convey what I am attempting to establish.

@Booker, it doesn't matter. He already appealed to the Nintendo consumer-base as Snake was in Brawl. The extra exposure is unnecessary at this point. I mean it couldn't hurt though.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Why would Kojima care? More exposure for Snake = More $$$.

He has no investment in the number of consoles sold. Only the games in which his property is present. Putting Snake in Smash would only give the games more publicity. Isn't that what anybody would want for their product? More attention and publicity?

Granted, MGS may not be on Wii U, but think of it this way. Snake only helps Smash. He is a superstar video game character. Quality 3rd party character characters in terms of Nintendo are hard to come by, and Snake proved to be a great addition gameplay wise. He is one of the most unique members of the roster.

Again, Snake already meets the requirements for any 3rd party, so the eligibility is not up for debate. The presence of MGS as a series has never been strong on Nintendo platforms. However, in light of that, Sakurai added him anyway for Brawl.

It does come down to Kojima wanting Snake in, but there is hardly any reason for him not to agree to it. Sakurai isn't not going to ask him about Snake if Sonic is already in. That would just be a **** move if he didn't.
Honestly, Kojima doesn't have much of a reason. Konami might have some stupid reason... but not really, he gets exposure.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I wouldn't say that he was "well-received" that is far to empirical. I think "players were receptive to Snake's inclusion" is the more practical statement. His return wouldn't hinder Metal Gear Solid in any way, but it would not necessarily help it in any way either (not that I am implying that it must).
Was it ever even established that Kojima was trying to advertise the character? Don't forget the possibility of it simply being an honour to have his character in Smash.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
About the Ridley thing earlier, it does NOT look like an electric effect.
It looks like a purple claw. A lot like a purple claw.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Was it ever even established that Kojima was trying to advertise the character? Don't forget the possibility of it simply being an honour to have his character in Smash.
Smash Bros is a prestigious game series. Anyone who gets their characters in there should DEFINITELY be honored and feel happy.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If I remember what I read at one point, it was because his son wanted to be able to play as one of his father's characters.

I think anybody would want their character in Smash Bros. Kojima is no exception. He has connections. Good connections. It's just a guy who wants to see his creation in the game. I think we can all understand that.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
If I remember what I read at one point, it was because his son wanted to be able to play as one of his father's characters.

I think anybody would want their character in Smash Bros. Kojima is no exception. He has connections. Good connections. It's just a guy who wants to see his creation in the game. I think we can all understand that.
If I had the opportunity to bring one of my own creations into Smash, I'd be incredibly happy. It's not really argueable that someone wouldn't really want their own creation into Smash unless it was that horrible.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
For the record, at first I considered Snake a definite cut. Extremely small links to Nintendo, possible legal issues...
But then I remembered that Sakurai hasn't planned any cuts yet. So now I'm thinking:
"If he hasn't planned any cuts, why would he end up cutting a unique and time consuming character like Snake?"

Morbi

Scavenger
Where are you seeing this claw? Can you describe to me in detail where I am supposed to see this damned thing? Like above/below the electrical effect? By the hammer? Near Link and Marth? Where?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's just a lighting effect. The white part of the "claw" part of the environment. Not to mention, that would make more sense if it was the Super Metroid version. But it will likely be the Other M version, which is much different.

It's not Ridley, just lightning.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
For the record, at first I considered Snake a definite cut. Extremely small links to Nintendo, possible legal issues...
But then I remembered that Sakurai hasn't planned any cuts yet. So now I'm thinking:
"If he hasn't planned any cuts, why would he end up cutting a unique and time consuming character like Snake?"
If anything, most people who have LOGICAL arguements usually try and cut off semi-clones... which I argue with.

D

Deleted member

Yup, that is one of two reasons Kojima wanted Snake.
The other was that he wanted to introduce a newer generation to Metal Gear Solid. IMO, probably to give 'em something to look forward to when they come of age.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Yup, that is one of two reasons Kojima wanted Snake.
The other was that he wanted to introduce a newer generation to Metal Gear Solid. IMO, probably to give 'em something to look forward to when they come of age.
And we got Metal Gear 3 on the 3DS to start!

Morbi

Scavenger
If anything, most people who have LOGICAL arguements usually try and cut off semi-clones... which I argue with.
It is probably based on the notion of retaining a play-style. I mean if you cut Lucas, you still have the play-style in the game. This Lucas fan-base is most probably directly correlated with the Ness fan-base, so they have a character to fall back on/that they used prior to Lucas. This isn't always the case as I cannot stand Ness and Lucas is one of my favorite characters, but their play-style is congruent.

D

Deleted member

I remember that my nephews, who I taught how to play Smash (they love it), grew interested in Snake because he was "cool". This was back in 2009, when they were both younger than 10. They also ask me a bunch of questions about him that I have to look up to answer. :laugh:

Would I let them play a Metal Gear game today? ...Probably not. They have both seen worse through movies, but the older one, who is IMO old enough to at least test it out, is very analytical about things and psychologically serious to the point that I fear it may bother him on an emotional level.
The younger one, I feel would have a blast, but not quite sure I would feel comfortable with him playing it just yet.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I remember that my nephews, who I taught how to play Smash (they love it), grew interested in Snake because he was "cool". This was back in 2009, when they were both younger than 10. They also ask me a bunch of questions about him that I have to look up to answer. :laugh:

Would I let them play a Metal Gear game today? ...Probably not. They have both seen worse through movies, but the older one, who is IMO old enough to at least test it out, is very analytical about things and psychologically serious to the point that I fear it may bother him on an emotional level.
The younger one, I feel would have a blast, but not quite sure I would feel comfortable with him playing it just yet.
In terms of Smash Bros, Snake detractors should at least appreciate the fact that Kojima had genuine reasons to want Snake in Smash.

Money was an after thought. I'm sure he would be grateful for his character to come back.

I'm all the more confident in Snake now. Seriously.

D

Deleted member

Luigi Mario?

Think I would prefer Mario Mario if we're going with the movie characters. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom