• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sakurai did say that he was tired of people blowing his tweets out of proportions in an interview in I think 2012, so don't take the sword tweet for much. By the end of the day Sakurai does use his Twitter for social means as much as the average person too, and how could you resist tweeting something as cool as that? (EDIT: Ninja'ed)

Shulk does have a good shot though, I'm rather neutral towards him personally. He seems to mostly catter to the Japanese audience though, which is fine, every character can't catter to all audiences, a Ridley supporter should know that best.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sakurai's tweets?

BANDANA DEE CONFIRMED!
While we shouldn't take tweets super seriously, this just tells me that if we get a 4th Kirby guy, it will likely be Bandana Dee.

Anyway, Shulk definitely comes across to me as a semi niche character. Mostly JRPG fans will know him, but I think it would get people interested in "X" as well if they haven't looked into yet.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Also, there was that picture Sakurai tweeted of this:

Whether or not he was simply tweeting about it because he thought it itself was cool, or because he had knowledge of it from the playing the game is a mystery, but regardless, it is pretty cool that he acknowledged it.
Does someone have a translation?

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
His tweet definitely means he knows about Xenoblade, and most likely project rainfall. Because of that, he should know about his popularity. At the very least, Sakurai may have taken Shulk into consideration.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
His tweet definitely means he knows about Xenoblade, and most likely project rainfall. Because of that, he should know about his popularity. At the very least, Sakurai may have taken Shulk into consideration.
I have little doubt that he would consider Shulk at one point. I mean, quite honestly, I'm sure Sakurai and his team consider many choices, and then goes through with a process of elimination.

Said list is filled with characters that are up and coming, notable, popular...etc...but based on what Sakurai wants, that is how the characters are chosen. At least that would make sense. Obviously, Sakurai doesn't just pick characters without doing research first, or finding out about each character, which is probably why there is so much work into picking and developing characters the right way. This is why I can imagine Shulk being considered at the very least.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sakurai had a few interesting tweets a few weeks back after the Rosalina trailer. If Google Translator is to be believed, the team designed the trailer so as to sync up with the intro music from Kirby Air Ride, and designed Kirby's skid along the ground after his similar skid when landing in Castle Dedede during Super Star.

As far as Shulk goes? He's more of a question mark to me than most newcomer candidates. I'm almost sure we're getting at least one sword-wielding newcomer, and Shulk did receive a lot of attention around the beginning of SSB4's development due to the cries for Xenoblade localization. On the other hand, he fits seamlessly into the AT position previously occupied by Isaac and Saki. Personally, I don't care about the character, but I'd definitely enjoy seeing a stage and music from the series.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sakurai had a few interesting tweets a few weeks back after the Rosalina trailer. If Google Translator is to be believed, the team designed the trailer so as to sync up with the intro music from Kirby Air Ride, and designed Kirby's skid along the ground after his similar skid when landing in Castle Dedede during Super Star.
Wow, I can't believe I didn't see that comparison with Castle Dedede.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

As far as Shulk goes? He's more of a question mark to me than most newcomer candidates. I'm almost sure we're getting at least one sword-wielding newcomer, and Shulk did receive a lot of attention around the beginning of SSB4's development due to the cries for Xenoblade localization. On the other hand, he fits seamlessly into the AT position previously occupied by Isaac and Saki. Personally, I don't care about the character, but I'd definitely enjoy seeing a stage and music from the series.
The reason I don't believe he is Assist Material is because he is using a sword that, while it has many powers, I don't believe would be properly translated if he were only given one ability. He would basically just run around and smack people with it. Isaac had a different effect with his psynergy, and Saki has a rifle sword thingy.

Again, it's probably my own bias, but Shulk comes across as more playable material to me.

Although I could see Shulk being joined by two other characters in a party to chain attack a player. But other than that, I think he's playable material.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I have little doubt that he would consider Shulk at one point. I mean, quite honestly, I'm sure Sakurai and his team consider many choices, and then goes through with a process of elimination.

Said list is filled with characters that are up and coming, notable, popular...etc...but based on what Sakurai wants, that is how the characters are chosen. At least that would make sense. Obviously, Sakurai doesn't just pick characters without doing research first, or finding out about each character, which is probably why there is so much work into picking and developing characters the right way. This is why I can imagine Shulk being considered at the very least.
Being considered is a lot further than a lot of characters get.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The reason I don't believe he is Assist Material is because he is using a sword that, while it has many powers, I don't believe would be properly translated if he were only given one ability. He would basically just run around and smack people with it. Isaac had a different effect with his psynergy, and Saki has a rifle sword thingy.

Again, it's probably my own bias, but Shulk comes across as more playable material to me.

Although I could see Shulk being joined by two other characters in a party to chain attack a player. But other than that, I think he's playable material.
Yeah, out of the three, I think Shulk would make the smoothest transition to playability. Sakurai just has to deem him worthy enough of playability for that to happen, which he could do, based on the pros you listed, or he could just say "He IS pretty cool, so I'll do what I can" like he did with Saki. Perhaps Xenoblade content coming as a package deal with the character could help swing favor to his side?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Being considered is a lot further than a lot of characters get.
I think a lot of people don't actually think about how Sakurai may go about his choices. Not that that's a bad thing. I haven't really thought about it either. But Sakurai certainly doesn't just pick a character without doing any research, or bouncing it off of a few people. That doesn't mean he doesn't make the final decision, but he surely asks his team.

The way I see it, Sakurai looks at what's up and coming, historically relevant, what's popular, and then looks at the characters from different points of view. He has spots that he likes to fill, being characters who nobody saw coming, a retro revival character, and then the heavy hitting ones.

Clearly, this time Sakurai is adding the uniqueness factor in this time, which means that that is another hurdle that characters must pass. Then there are some characters who Sakurai needs to look into himself, such as a Fire Emblem character or Pokémon even.

Another thing I think that people are mistaken about is the "hands off" policy. Not so much that Nintendo intervenes, but that Sakurai won't just go and add a random Fire Emblem character or Pokémon. He's not THAT big of a troll. He isn't going to cut Ike and add Alm in his place. He isn't going to cut Lucario and replace him with Pidgeotto. He is a logical person. It's just different logic than what we use.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054

I actually envisioned something where, as an AT, he could take the match back by 5 to 10 seconds. Don't know if it would work too well, and id rather him be playable.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I actually envisioned something where, as an AT, he could take the match back by 5 to 10 seconds. Don't know if it would work too well, and id rather him be playable.
Nah, I see him working like this:
When the opponent gets close to Shulk, Shulk will envision the future where time temporarily slows down time so he can hit the opponent. It's a pretty nice way to represent Xenoblade's gameplay.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
That might actually be a cool idea. But again, my whole problem with that is that there is so much more to him than the ability to foresee things or attack with the Monado.

Yeah, out of the three, I think Shulk would make the smoothest transition to playability. Sakurai just has to deem him worthy enough of playability for that to happen, which he could do, based on the pros you listed, or he could just say "He IS pretty cool, so I'll do what I can" like he did with Saki. Perhaps Xenoblade content coming as a package deal with the character could help swing favor to his side?
To be honest, a major reason I want Shulk is the music that he would likely bring with him. I'll post a few:

You Will Know Our Names

Leg of Bionis

Shulk can also bring some fantastic stages, which would look beautiful in HD. Here are a few examples for stages:

Leg of Bionis/ Gaur Plains

Eryth Sea

Sorry for the image size if they're too big. But these would look great in HD.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If "X" happens to be a Xenoblade sequel and Shulk is in Smash, I could see Sakurai revealing Shulk to advertise "X".

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
That might actually be a cool idea. But again, my whole problem with that is that there is so much more to him than the ability to foresee things or attack with the Monado.

To be honest, a major reason I want Shulk is the music that he would likely bring with him.
Im currently trying to get my hands on a copy of xenoblade, man is it hard to find. I want to experience it before X comes out.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Before I go, I'd like to say that while I am an avid Shulk supporter, I am not going to try and shove him down everybodys throats like Diddy does with Impa.

I'm just providing some extra stuff that Shulk can bring, moreso because most people may not know much about him.

So I hope that many of you guys who are neutral or on the fence come to the conclusion that Shulk would be an ideal character! :awesome:

Morbi

Scavenger
Im currently trying to get my hands on a copy of xenoblade, man is it hard to find. I want to experience it before X comes out.
Did you forget about Black Friday? I honestly had no trouble finding a copy, it was difficult finding a cheap copy though.

Shulk's chances. Well let us just say that this characters is beyond over-hyped. I loved (back in the day) when I was defending Wii Fits inclusion as rational, that most members asserted that sales had literally nothing to do with her inclusion. Hopefully, that is no longer the fallacious mentality lingering in the community. The core of the argument should never be sale figures, but it is an inherent function of popular choices as it quantifies their popularity. It is an innate attribute that gives the character their exposure and importance.

That is my problem with Shulk. He doesn't really have much else going for him. Sure, move-set potential. The most subjective notion applicable to Smash speculation, that is going to take him far, haha. Anyways, many assume that his fairly minor role in the series collectively is detrimental. I will proclaim that it is indeed. However, it doesn't matter too much as Xenoblade was by far the most important game and whatnot.

I think of Smash as the douche-bag infested college in 80s movies. Shulk is largely considered the "freshman" , and as such, he has yet to prove himself. This makes him an ideal assist trophy. I find it hard to not compare him to Isaac. Isaac did his time, Isaac has Smash relevance, Isaac isn't a one-off, Isaac is from another "best selling series" and Isaac is ultimately more well-known.

As everyone already pointed out, the tweet doesn't mean ****. I mean Xenoblade is going to be recognized in Smash, no doubt. Not with a playable character. If I am wrong, so be it. I would be happy to have Shulk in the game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe Ridley is in the background... and he appears too small because he is too far away from the camera... and he is obscured from view by King Dedede's hammer attack... and the hammer attack made those lightning bolts?

Morbi

Scavenger
Maybe Ridley is in the background... and he appears too small because he is too far away from the camera... and he is obscured from view by King Dedede's hammer attack... and the hammer attack made those lightning bolts?
I didn't see Ridley in that picture, either way, the Pyrosphere stage isn't the most vast stage. Ridley wouldn't be as small as many are asserting in this stage as he wouldn't be able to go THAT far back without hitting the wall.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Looking at the picture again, it doesn't really look like Ridley's claw.
Though I wonder why Dedede's Side Smash does electrical damage. :awesome:
It's just a visual effect which appears when a character lands a strong hit.
For example:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, but that King Dedede picture has a tiny purple thing that oddly looks like Ridley's tail and it definitely was not a lightning bolt...

Maybe Ridley is playable in Smash but only his tail is a stage hazard... yeah, we get a tail-less Ridley. :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah, but that King Dedede picture has a tiny purple thing that oddly looks like Ridley's tail and it definitely was not a lightning bolt...

Maybe Ridley is playable in Smash but only his tail is a stage hazard... yeah, we get a tail-less Ridley. :troll:
It couldn't be worse than the last time a developer decided to add a character that wasn't really feasible.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
There's been something I've been thinking about since dedede's reveal.

So i pose this question to you guys

Do you think sakurai would reveal snake on the Japanese release of metal gear solid ground zeroes on march 20th, even if it's a title that Nintendo never sees? I mean stranger things have happened, he doesn't directly have to directly correlate it in honor of the games release either, so what do you guys think?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That is even assuming Snake is still in the game... and we have no way of telling either way.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
There's been something I've been thinking about since dedede's reveal.

So i pose this question to you guys

Do you think sakurai would reveal snake on the Japanese release of metal gear solid ground zeroes on march 20th, even if it's a title that Nintendo never sees? I mean stranger things have happened, he doesn't directly have to directly correlate it in honor of the games release either, so what do you guys think?
Maybe, but If it doesn't happen, I expect E3 2014. Also I recently pre-ordered GZ, and I can't wait to play it when it comes out on the 18th of March here in the US.
That is even assuming Snake is still in the game... and we have no way of telling either way.
It's a safe assumption he's staying, the only thing against him is Sakurai or Kojima not wanting him in the game which is rather unlikely.

Morbi

Scavenger
Maybe, but If it doesn't happen, I expect E3 2014. Also I recently pre-ordered GZ, and I can't wait to play it when it comes out on the 18th of March here in the US.

It's a safe assumption he's staying, the only thing against him is Sakurai or Kojima not wanting him in the game which is rather unlikely.
I wouldn't say that, I don't really feel like discussing this in detail, but Sakurai's interpretation of Snake is also relevant.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Snake is obviously cut because he has zero relation to Nintendo and his beard scares children. Like the last time where he never made it into Brawl in any shape or form because of those two reasons.

Morbi

Scavenger
Snake is obviously cut because he has zero relation to Nintendo and his beard scares children. Like the last time where he never made it into the game in any shape or form because of those two reasons.
It is more important to actually look at why he WAS included. He felt obligated and implemented his friends request. Sure, he is important enough, but it would be fallacious to assert that he is near the level of Sonic, Mega Man, or even Pac-Man (the other 3rd party candidate that is actually owned by the co-developer, fancy that). In any event, I do not think it would be practical for the Metal Gear Solid team to throw Nintendo a bone, bad for business. Maybe they are feeling friendly though.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Most likely no, unless there is a surprise announcement of MGSV for Wii U.

He will most likely be a random reveal on the site.

Morbi

Scavenger
Most likely no, unless it comes with a surprise announcement of MGSV for Wii U.

He will most likely be a random reveal on the site.
That wouldn't make any sense; if they collaborated to cross-promote their titles, his reveal WILL correlate with the release date. It would be beyond absurd if Kojima graciously allowed Sakurai to add Snake into his game (benefiting Nintendo to a greater extent than Kojima).

That would obviously be one of the terms of the contract.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It is more important to actually look at why he WAS included. He felt obligated and implemented his friends request. Sure, he is important enough, but it would be fallacious to assert that he is near the level of Sonic, Mega Man, or even Pac-Man (the other 3rd party candidate that is actually owned by the co-developer, fancy that). In any event, I do not think it would be practical for the Metal Gear Solid team to throw Nintendo a bone, bad for business. Maybe they are feeling friendly though.
Snake is certainly legendary enough to be in the big leagues with Sonic and Mega Man in the gaming world. There is no question.

If he didn't meet Sakurai's approval the first time he wouldn't even be in. It's an irrelevant point.

Morbi

Scavenger
Snake is certainly legendary enough to be in the big leagues with Sonic and Mega Man in the gaming world. There is no question.

If he didn't meet Sakurai's approval the first time he wouldn't even be in. It's an irrelevant point.
Okay, maybe that point is irrelevant. I honestly don't view him as an iconic legend akin to Mega Man, Sonic, or Pac-Man, but that is subjective anyways. We honestly don't know how he is going to treat 3rd party characters as we have no precedent. I mean, for all we know, Sakurai might only want 2 3rd party characters (in which case, we aren't getting Pac-Man or Snake). As a developer, I would pick the more ideal choice. The one that is easier to procure the license, the one that better fits in the Smash universe, and the one that is more of a gaming legend. That might just be me though. Sakurai might want to go through the effort of Snake for his fans, that wouldn't be an unreasonable assumption in the slightest.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Snake is a gaming legend, his franchise revolutionized the Stealth genre. Just like how MegaMan, Sonic, and Mario revolutionized the side scrolling platform genre. Plus, Sakurai isn't looking for the easy way out, or else he wouldn't painstakingly make a game perfect. He hardly takes a vacation, and works to the point of injuries, so I don't expect him to think Snake isn't worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom