• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Maybe he'll be an AT. That's about the best he can hope for though.
Eh, I don't think we can count him out of playable status just yet. It may not be the most likely thing ever, but he's got a lot to offer in terms of uniqueness and gameplay.

His game may not have sold well, but that hardly matters now.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It hardly mattered to being with, if he was to be added it would've been like a year before his game even came out, and I just can't see Sakurai adding a character from a series that hasn't even released yet. I mean it pretty drastically goes against his previous types of inclusions, which excluding retros have all been from among Nintendo's biggest and most proven series. I don't see how W101 would be so extremely different and crucial that it'd become the sole exception to that precedent.

He's not the only character from an unrepresented series that could offer something different in terms of uniqueness and gameplay, at least the others made an impact prior to their inclusion.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It hardly mattered to being with, if he was to be added it would've been like a year before his game even came out, and I just can't see Sakurai adding a character from a series that hasn't even released yet. I mean it pretty drastically goes against his previous types of inclusions, which excluding retros have all been from among Nintendo's biggest and most proven series. I don't see how W101 would be so extremely different and crucial that it'd become the sole exception to that precedent.

He's not the only character from an unrepresented series that could offer something different in terms of uniqueness and gameplay, at least the others made an impact prior to their inclusion.
I know this is a bit different than Wonder Red, but Roy was included before his game debuted, and it was because of what Sakurai saw in him.

I get that this is an entire series, and that at the time of Roy, Fire Emblem was a legit series.

My point is though, that while it's kinda unlikely, there is still a chance. A character not making a splash before they are selected hasn't stopped Sakurai before. However, as you have said, it's the difference between series inclusion v character inclusion.

Call me optimistic, but I'd like to see the dude in Smash. Wonderful 101 is a great game, Wonder Red is a great character. We'll just have to wait to see what happens.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Roy wouldn't have been added if Sakurai weren't looking for a clone of an existing character from the same series though. That doesn't really apply to Wonder Red's situation. There's a big difference between adding a clone character from an existing series for padding and adding a whole new series (not to mention all the accompanying content), presumably with a wholly original character, especially to Sakurai.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
All I'm saying is that Sakurai COULD technically do this, but there is no point. It would disguise the game as new when really you're recycling old features.
Smash 4 is already turning out to be Ultra Smash Bros Brawl so Sakurai might as well finish what he started. :^)

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Hey! We got Dedede doing a thing! CALLED IT!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you may want to take a closer look at today's picture...

It could be just part of the launch effect, though.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you may want to take a closer look at today's picture...

That looks like part of the effect to me, but Sakurai could still be trolling us all.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Just to let everyone here see it too, it's just the tip of one of the lightning effects that can be seen all around the place of impact:

The blue edges of the effects lying under the red blast effect makes it look somewhat purple-ish, but it's pretty obvious that it's just the tip of a lightning effect when you look at how jagged it is.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Guess I should say false alarm. No need to get worked up anymore. There's still hope for everyone's favorite purple pirate dragon.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Guess I should say false alarm. No need to get worked up anymore. There's still hope for everyone's favorite purple pirate dragon.
I'm still convinced that he's likely hiding something behind that launch. Just like Nintendog.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, I tried hard to see Ridley in it, but I could only see a little purple in it. Haha.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Just to let everyone here see it too, it's just the tip of one of the lightning effects that can be seen all around the place of impact:

The blue edges of the effects lying under the red blast effect makes it look somewhat purple-ish, but it's pretty obvious that it's just the tip of a lightning effect when you look at how jagged it is.
So while we thought it was some glorious deconfirmation, it was literally just Dedede doing a thing?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Ridley was reading this, he'd be...

Ridley: Good grief people, I'm not even in today's screenshot! When will people get the picture?!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Probably when we get a picture.

(And like a description of what Ridley's exact role is. That would help massively too.)
Pic of the Day. Ridley will be present in Smash 4 in some form. Everyone goes nuts. The end. But seriously, every Pyrosphere pic will be dissected in hope of finding Ridley, in any form.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So do we know what Sakurai said about the picture? I'm too lazy to check the Wii U version of it and the Miiverse site has nothing on it yet.

Anyway, the graphics are looking spectacular as far as I'm concerned. Especially Dedede. I disagree with Diddy, I think he looks great.

Then again my standards for graphics aren't the highest all the time. Gameplay matters to me more than graphics do.

I don't think Ridley is in that picture (I know we already declared it a false alarm). I think that might just be the door in the background or something.

EDIT: Scratch that. Upon closer inspection, it's just a lighting effect from the smash. Nothing to do with Ridley.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
According to Miiverse on my 3DS...

"Pic of the Day: King Dedede uses one of the strongest side smash attacks in all of Smash Bros. Use this attack wisely in battles."
I do love that smash attack. I wish I were good with Dedede but he's just too...girthy for me :awesome:.

I feel as if that attack is useless in 1v1s. It would be better if Dedede had a move that planted people in the ground.

Actually, here's an idea. Tell me what you guys would think of this idea.

If you spike a character above the stage, they end up stuck like they were hit by a pitfall. Eh? EHHH????

I don't know, I thought it might be cool, but now that I think about it, it would probably be OP as ****.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I do love that smash attack. I wish I were good with Dedede but he's just too...girthy for me :awesome:.

I feel as if that attack is useless in 1v1s. It would be better if Dedede had a move that planted people in the ground.

Actually, here's an idea. Tell me what you guys would think of this idea.

If you spike a character above the stage, they end up stuck like they were hit by a pitfall. Eh? EHHH????

I don't know, I thought it might be cool, but now that I think about it, it would probably be OP as ****.
Nailing them into the ground like a tent peg?

All of my want.
I guess it'd depend how long they were stuck in the ground to how OP it would be though. Maybe based on distance from the ground or damage the defending player has taken?

After all with Villager's Pitfall or DK's headbutt abilities would it really be anymore overpowered than that by the time you fell back down to continue pummelling them?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
In other news, I think at this point, I can safely say that Shulk is my most wanted newcomer. So let's talk about him. :awesome:

What is our opinion on the fact that he's the protagonist of a single game? As in, Xenoblade is a standalone game, which may or may not be getting a sequel in "X".

I prefer to think that it isn't that big of a deal, as I see him as a character that represents a new IP (like new. Not just new to Smash. New for Nintendo in general.) who also brings a new type of playstyle for the swordsmen archetype.

Xenoblade Chronicles, while mostly a cult classic game, was originally not supposed to come to the United States, but was localized after Nintendo made that decision. While it had no effect on the decision according to Reggie Fils-Aime, Project Rainfall rallied support in this conquest. Xenoblade was a highly rated game when it was localized, and has essentially become a game to have for the Wii, something that most other main series on Nintendo series cannot claim to have during the Wii generation.

Shulk, according to information from Chronobound and others, is one of Japan's most popularly requested newcomers, something that I very much appreciate. From the information I know, I believe Shulk is in the top 20 most requested newcomers in the west as well. That is huge! For such a small game without much coverage (until it came out I suppose), Xenoblade has quite the following across the world.

As for drawbacks concerning Shulk's chances, there is the fact that he is a protagonist from a single game. We have no idea what "X" has to do with Xenoblade besides gameplay similarities at this point in time. However, because the quality character pool is evaporating, it is possible that Shulk will be chosen (or at the very least I hope).

I'll split the pros and cons of Shulk below:

Pro:
Presents gameplay possibilities that could easily differentiate him from the current swordsmen archetype
Protagonist of a critically acclaimed RPG
Decently popular worldwide
Possibility that Xenoblade will in a sense be a spiritual successor (at the very least) to X, which seems to be taking quite a bit from the Xenoblade formula
May have some sort of role in X (I have a crackpot theory that I may share)

Cons:
Fairly new IP that may be a standalone title
May be "just another swordsman" to some
May not reappear, or have any effect on X ( though this may not be a huge deal depending on how you look at it)

I may be a fan of Shulk, and you can call me biased, but I simply cannot think of a lot of flaws in adding him. He has a lot of good things going for him that can be expressed in Smash. Xenoblade Chronicles was a phenomenal game, and I think Shulk has a fair shot in getting in. At least I hope that is the case.

Also, there was that picture Sakurai tweeted of this:

Whether or not he was simply tweeting about it because he thought it itself was cool, or because he had knowledge of it from the playing the game is a mystery, but regardless, it is pretty cool that he acknowledged it.

But that's my schpeil for Shulk at the moment.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
After playing Xenoblade, I can proabably fully agree that Shulk should be in Smash and he at least provides something new for him to get in.
And I say, maybe that Twitter pic shows that Sakurai is a fan of Xenoblade.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
"I don't like it when a tweet or whatever leads to needless speculation getting spread around. For example, when I tweet about playing some game, some people immediately get the idea that that character is in the new Smash Bros. Then people fan the flames on it, people start to think it's really true, people get angry about it. Nobody benefits."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom