• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'm unsure of Vaati's chances since he wasn't even a sticker in Brawl. Nintendo really dropped the ball with that one...
Not very many big characters got much of anything, most of the Zelda things were ripped from Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. But, with Vaati's being remade and having a 3DS ambassador at the time Sakurai was considering the roster really seems to help his chances.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wouldn't mind Impa as the 5th Zelda character if they separate Zelda and Sheik... and replaced Sheik with Impa... but I also wouldn't mind Tingle as the 5th Zelda character if they kept Zelda / Sheik together.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
See, the whole replacing veterans with Newcomers idea doesn't make a lick of sense.

Is giving Impa Sheik's moveset worthy of deeming Impa a "Newcomer"? **** no. Of course not. She's not even important.

Not to mention, Sheik being irrelevant in itself is irrelevant. That isn't why she got in, and if it was a reason to remove her, she would have been dropped for Brawl. She got in because it was a gimmick to be given to Zelda to make her unique and because Sheik was an alternate identity.

Obviously, Impa will not be a part of Zelda's moveset because that wouldn't make any sense. I also see the idea of Sakurai getting rid of Sheik for one move as a terrible assumption. Why would Sakurai, the guy who decided to add Sheik, which turned out to be a fan favorite character for a lot of people, drop Sheik for one move? Spoiler alert, he isn't going to do that. Otherwise he's an idiot.

Really though, Impa is not important. Sure, she protects Zelda. But as I've said before, that's as far as she goes. Maybe she reappears, but so do a lot of things in the Zelda Universe.

That painting in WW? As I've said, she's just a sage, and is therefore important as the rest of them, and no more in this instance. This is the same for every title she appears in, save for SS.

The whole sentiment has never existed in Smash. Not a single character has been deliberately replaced with a character who then retains the former character's moveset. Lucario is not a clone of Mewtwo before anybody says it. It has never happened, and with Sakurai looking to cut as few as possible, it isn't likely to happen this time either.

Characters need to be able to catch Sakurai's eye with something that they can provide, not something that requires a different character to be given up. Many proposed characters fit this bill, including many of the top choices.

This is why I am against Chrom replacing Ike as well. It's just stupid. If the character cannot provide something without having an already present character remain, then that character should not be added in the first place.

andimidna

Smash Master
Wasn't the 3ds thing just a remake? I mean, Capcom made both of Vaati's major appearances. I'm just unsure because of all of the Zelda games since Brawl, and the upcoming Zelda U. I just want to add I definitely hope Zelda gets a 5th and deserves it, Zelda got more games than any Nintendo series since Brawl except Mario, right? Plus, the return of Trainer, Lucario, and Mewtwo seem likely. I'm expecting 5 for Pokemon. Mario has 5. I think Zelda needs 5. And I'm pretty sure Shiek is returning.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Wasn't the 3ds thing just a remake? I mean, Capcom made both of Vaati's major appearances. I'm just unsure because of all of the Zelda games since Brawl, and the upcoming Zelda U. I just want to add I definitely hope Zelda gets a 5th and deserves it, Zelda got more games than any Nintendo series since Brawl except Mario, right? Plus, the return of Trainer, Lucario, and Mewtwo seem likely. I'm expecting 5 for Pokemon. Mario has 5. I think Zelda needs 5. And I'm pretty sure Shiek is returning.
The 3DS thing was an Ambassador, I'm not sure what 4 Swords Anniversary edition was for though, and Nintendo made Vaati's first major appearence, in 4-Swords.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
The 3DS thing was an Ambassador, I'm not sure what 4 Swords Anniversary edition was for though, and Nintendo made Vaati's first major appearence, in 4-Swords.
The anniversary was just for the Zelda series in general, i believe. They offered Four Swords Anniversary Edition for free to anyone who owned a 3DS to celebrate 25 years of Zelda. The Four Swords game had additional content when compared to the original version.

I don't believe that it had anything to do with being an ambassador, but I could be wrong because I was fortunate enough to claim such a title :awesome:

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
Zelda's a difficult subject. It's obvious that it warrants a fifth slot, but there's so many potential characters that could fill that slot, and none of them stand out in particular. It probably just comes down to whichever character appeals most to Sakurai's imagination. Then again, pretty much any newcomer at this point comes down to that.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see Zelda not get a newcomer at all, though that would be kinda disappointing.

Morbi

Scavenger
Zelda's a difficult subject. It's obvious that it warrants a fifth slot, but there's so many potential characters that could fill that slot, and none of them stand out in particular. It probably just comes down to whichever character appeals most to Sakurai's imagination. Then again, pretty much any newcomer at this point comes down to that.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see Zelda not get a newcomer at all, though that would be kinda disappointing.
I would be pretty surprised considering the the series has only really grown since pre-Brawl and Sakurai was already planning on adding 2 Zelda Newcomers for Brawl.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The whole sentiment has never existed in Smash. Not a single character has been deliberately replaced with a character who then retains the former character's moveset. Lucario is not a clone of Mewtwo before anybody says it. It has never happened, and with Sakurai looking to cut as few as possible, it isn't likely to happen this time either.
It's already happened in Brawl. Toon Link replaced Young Link... they are both child Links... so why does Impa replacing Sheik not make sense? They are both Sheikahs.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Toon Link replaced Young Link... they are both child Links... so why does Impa replacing Sheik not make sense? They are both Sheikahs.
Toon Link and Impa are completely different situations.

Sheik IS Zelda. Toon Link was basically just a graphical upgrade to Young Link, hardly being his own character. There is also no reason to replace Sheik as it is.

Morbi

Scavenger
Toon Link replaced Young Link... they are both child Links... so why does Impa replacing Sheik not make sense? They are both Sheikahs.
That is pretty much the perfect example that refutes the claim that it has never been happened before. However, I am sure we will get the generic "he is still young Link" BS. The fact of the matter is that a newcomer did replace a veteran with a congruent move-set. Obviously minor changes occurred like the omission of fire arrows. Why? Because Toon Link is more iconic, relevant, and important. It doesn't matter though, if the notion doesn't make sense to them, they will never understand what it is about (making the roster more cohesive). I do agree with the core of their argument though, Zelda was meant to be with Sheik. I honestly don't want that to change.

Edit: See what I mean? He is a "graphical update". Whatever.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
From a Zelda series perspective Impa replacing Sheik makes a lot of sense, but from a Smash perspective Sheik sticking around makes more sense at this point.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
That is pretty much the perfect example that refutes the claim that it has never been happened before. However, I am sure we will get the generic "he is still young Link" BS. The fact of the matter is that a newcomer did replace a veteran with a congruent move-set. Obviously minor changes occurred like the omission of fire arrows. Why? Because Toon Link is more iconic, relevant, and important. It doesn't matter though, if the notion doesn't make sense to them, they will never understand what it is about (making the roster more cohesive). I do agree with the core of their argument though, Zelda was meant to be with Sheik. I honestly don't want that to change.

He may be referring to completely different characters, because Link is still Link. Toon Link could have technically taken Link's moveset (not YL) as a clone and Young Link may have been cut. :awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toon Link and Impa are completely different situations.

Sheik IS Zelda. Toon Link was basically just a graphical upgrade to Young Link, hardly being his own character. There is also no reason to replace Sheik as it is.
Sheik is Zelda, yes... no one is arguing that... and we already have Zelda in Smash... and I would like to separate Zelda and Sheik... give Zelda a new Down+B move... and replace Sheik with Impa... it doesn't make sense for Sheik to be not able to transform into Zelda if she and Zelda are suddenly two separate people in SSB4... so replace Sheik with Impa and retain Sheik's moveset and give her new Down+B and Final Smash moves... so even if we don't have Sheik, we still have Zelda... she is the important one.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
See, the whole replacing veterans with Newcomers idea doesn't make a lick of sense.

Is giving Impa Sheik's moveset worthy of deeming Impa a "Newcomer"? **** no. Of course not. She's not even important.

Not to mention, Sheik being irrelevant in itself is irrelevant. That isn't why she got in, and if it was a reason to remove her, she would have been dropped for Brawl. She got in because it was a gimmick to be given to Zelda to make her unique and because Sheik was an alternate identity.

Obviously, Impa will not be a part of Zelda's moveset because that wouldn't make any sense. I also see the idea of Sakurai getting rid of Sheik for one move as a terrible assumption. Why would Sakurai, the guy who decided to add Sheik, which turned out to be a fan favorite character for a lot of people, drop Sheik for one move? Spoiler alert, he isn't going to do that. Otherwise he's an idiot.

Really though, Impa is not important. Sure, she protects Zelda. But as I've said before, that's as far as she goes. Maybe she reappears, but so do a lot of things in the Zelda Universe.

That painting in WW? As I've said, she's just a sage, and is therefore important as the rest of them, and no more in this instance. This is the same for every title she appears in, save for SS.

Characters need to be able to catch Sakurai's eye with something that they can provide, not something that requires a different character to be given up. Many proposed characters fit this bill, including many of the top choices.
Not saying impa is likely, but doesn't toon link fall right into what you described? He's basically young link but he was introduced as a newcomer to replace him with minimal changes. I just don't think it would be bad, I'm for the change it would bring, it can be argued to hell and back sure, but we can only stick to tradition for traditions sake for only so long.

Edit: I see others beat me to the punch while I typed this on my phone.

Morbi

Scavenger
He may be referring to completely different characters, because Link is still Link. Toon Link could have technically taken Link's moveset (not YL) as a clone and Young Link may have been cut. :awesome:
Toon Link isn't Conductor Link which isn't OoT Link. They are different characters with the same name and essence. I do know what he meant though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

...that's basically all he is. It's the same damn character! He represents the exact same thing, besides a game or two different.

Why would it make sense to not update Young Link with a more relevant style? It wouldn't make sense not to do that. Why would Toon Link use Fire Arrows? It's completely different.

Impa is a character that has always been there, but has ONE game with a big role. She wouldn't and shouldn't replace Sheik because of one appearance that makes people get a hard on.

Sheik is a part of Zelda's moveset because she is Zelda. There is no reason to derail that feature. If it's broken, fix it. Why replace a character that has been there for awhile?

Recency and relevancy aren't going to get Impa in over Sheik. It just isn't a strong argument. It happened with one character that actually made sense to do that with.

Sheik is Zelda, yes... no one is arguing that... and we already have Zelda in Smash... and I would like to separate Zelda and Sheik... give Zelda a new Down+B move... and replace Sheik with Impa... it doesn't make sense for Sheik to be not able to transform into Zelda if she and Zelda are suddenly two separate people in SSB4... so replace Sheik with Impa and retain Sheik's moveset and give her new Down+B and Final Smash moves... so even if we don't have Sheik, we still have Zelda... she is the important one.
Or, just keep the movesets as they are and just fix it to be effective.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
...that's basically all he is. It's the same damn character! He represents the exact same thing, besides a game or two different.

Why would it make sense to not update Young Link with a more relevant style? It wouldn't make sense not to do that. Why would Toon Link use Fire Arrows? It's completely different.

Impa is a character that has always been there, but has ONE game with a big role. She wouldn't and shouldn't replace Sheik because of one appearance that makes people get a hard on.

Sheik is a part of Zelda's moveset because she is Zelda. There is no reason to derail that feature. If it's broken, fix it. Why replace a character that has been there for awhile?

Recency and relevancy aren't going to get Impa in over Sheik. It just isn't a strong argument. It happened with one character that actually made sense to do that with.
No. Young Link represents the child aspect of OoT whilst Link represents the adult portion of the game. Together, they represent the hero of time. Toon Link represents the handheld games/Wind Waker's very own "Cat-eyed Link", they are not the same characters.

It does make sense.

That is enough from the Zelda series perspective. She is more important, more iconic, more relevant, and she offers something new aesthetically. As Neon stated, it doesn't make sense for Smash, and I completely and utterly agree.

Yes.

Of course not, but it should (in my opinion).

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Toon Link isn't Conductor Link which isn't OoT Link. They are different characters with the same name and essence. I do know what he meant though.
The Link part was sort of sarcasm, but yes, every Link is different unless they are direct sequels and intended to be so.

Completely different characters shouldn't take on movesets of characters that aren't related. Impa taking Shieks place could work though, but there wouldnt be much point. Shiek is literally Zelda trying to impersonate a Shiekah, and therefore, Impa. So you might as well leave it how it is to avoid alienating fans that might play as Shiek but know little or nothing about The Legend of Zelda

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My problem, as I already stated, with replacing Sheik with Impa, is that it doesn't provide anything new for Impa as a newcomer.

Again. If the character in question requires a previous character to be cut, then they shouldn't be added at all. In my eyes, Toon Link is an exception because it made sense to update the appearance of a character. They may be named something different, and represent something different, but it fills the same niche in Smash.

Morbi

Scavenger
The Link part was sort of sarcasm, but he's an exception to the rule.

Completely different characters shouldn't take on movesets of characters that aren't relatated. Impa taking Shieks place could work though, but there wouldnt be much point. Shiek is literally Zelda trying to impersonate a Shiekah, and therefore, Impa. So you might as well leave it how it is to avoid alienating fans that might play as Shiek but know nothing about Zelda.
I main Sheik, she is certainly one of my favorite characters, so I definitely know the feeling. I do not want Impa to replace one of my favorite characters, I just think that it makes the roster more ideal and cohesive.

Edit: I agree with you, Booker.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If it is broken, fix it... yes, I agree... and there's a way to fix it... by separating Zelda and Sheik, buff Zelda's moves and give her a new Down+B... so Zelda doesn't suck as bad as she did in Brawl when it took too damn long for her to complete her transformation... and replace Sheik with Impa because it doesn't make sense for Sheik and Zelda to be two separate individuals in Smash if they are the same person... so replace Sheik with Impa, have Impa retain Sheik's moveset and give her new Down+B and Final Smash moves.

Also, it makes sense for Toon Link to shoot fire arrows... Toon Link did that in The Wind Waker.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I main Sheik, she is certainly one of my favorite characters, so I definitely know the feeling. I do not want Impa to replace one of my favorite characters, I just think that it makes the roster more ideal and cohesive.

Edit: I agree with you, Booker.
I disagree.

The purpose of Smash Bros. as we know it is including Nintendo icons with unique movesets. Zelda's unique feature was being able to transform into an alternate persona, with a completely different moveset from her own.

While the execution was not all that great, there is room for improvement. Taking away Sheik and adding Impa is taking a step backwards. If we're adding Newcomers, then they should be actually new. I think we're past the point in Smashbros of adding characters that have adopted other movesets.

I don't think Impa is necessary to Smash at this point in time. I just don't.

Morbi

Scavenger
If it is broken, fix it... yes, I agree... and there's a way to fix it... by separating Zelda and Sheik, buff Zelda's moves and give her a new Down+B... so Zelda doesn't suck as bad as she did in Brawl when it took too damn long for her to complete her transformation... and replace Sheik with Impa because it doesn't make sense for Sheik and Zelda to be two separate individuals in Smash if they are the same person... so replace Sheik with Impa, have Impa retain Sheik's moveset and give her new Down+B and Final Smash moves.

Also, it makes sense for Toon Link to shoot fire arrows... Toon Link did that in The Wind Waker.
I completely and utterly agree. If they do separate the two characters, the replacement is literally the only option that I can fathom. If Phantom isn't her replacing her transformation, Sheik should stay.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
From a Zelda series perspective Impa replacing Sheik makes a lot of sense, but from a Smash perspective Sheik sticking around makes more sense at this point.
Basically just this. I'm going to bed, and I don't like to talk about Impa because I overall think she would be a waste of space in Smash. So I agree with N3ON.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
My problem, as I already stated, with replacing Sheik with Impa, is that it doesn't provide anything new for Impa as a newcomer.

Again. If the character in question requires a previous character to be cut, then they shouldn't be added at all. In my eyes, Toon Link is an exception because it made sense to update the appearance of a character. They may be named something different, and represent something different, but it fills the same niche in Smash.
All I'm saying is that Sakurai COULD technically do this, but there is no point. It would disguise the game as new when really you're recycling old features.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What's wrong with keeping Sheik and changing her model to resemble Impa and renaming her "Impa"? You are still playing with Sheik. :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Diddy isn't even here.

Why the hell are we talking about Impa?
It's a long weekend... Sakurai needs to give us some insight about the Phantom Knight already... but Sakurai is clearly trolling us with these pictures of Zelda making that same pose she did with the Phantom Knight...

Morbi

Scavenger
It's a long weekend... Sakurai needs to give us some insight about the Phantom Knight already... but Sakurai is clearly trolling us with these pictures of Zelda making that same pose she did with the Phantom Knight...
It could honestly go either way. There aren't any solid or decisive arguments that allude to Phantom being an assist trophy, and there aren't any feasible arguments that illustrate that Phantom is a part of Zelda's move-set. Personally, I find that there is a lot more on the side of Phantom as a move or new mechanic as many who think it is an assist trophy leave it at that. Sakurai should really chime in.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hopefully we get something juicy this morning so we can talk about it...

Like an Impa Assist Trophy :troll:

Goodnight y'all!

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
As well as:dedede:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It could honestly go either way. There aren't any solid or decisive arguments that allude to Phantom being an assist trophy, and there aren't any feasible arguments that illustrate that Phantom is a part of Zelda's move-set. Personally, I find that there is a lot more on the side of Phantom as a move or new mechanic as many who think it is an assist trophy leave it at that. Sakurai should really chime in.
Wasn't there that one pic that showed that in brawl that pose Zelda is doing is from after she summons an assist?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Wasn't there that one pic that showed that in brawl that pose Zelda is doing is from after she summons an assist?
The thing was that she does the same pose in other pictures with no sign of the Phantom. So until we know more, it is essentially inconclusive.

I for one think it's an assist. But what evs bros. I need muh sleep so my beard can get it's rest:awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom