• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
The possibility of having many Zelda assist trophies could mean three things:
1. The total number assist trophies has been increased.
2. The large number of Zelda exclusive Assist Trophies is to compensate for the lack of a Zelda newcomer.
3. There is a just a large amount of Zelda assist trophies because there is just a large amount of Zelda assist trophies.

I also think it's safe to assume that the Assist Trophies are going to be the same for both versions of the games. I mean a Phantom would fit more on the 3DS version, wouldn't you agree?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Why not? Sakurai likes her and Panel De Pon and she's the most unique one available.
Did anyone even know that Lip was a thing before Lip's Stick in Melee?

There's Japanese popularity and Western obscurity, then there's Japanese popularity and Western invisibility. 95% of the people playing Smash in the states would have no idea who she was. And unlike Fire Emblem, I don't think there's a big cult following for Panel de Pon, although I am certainly subject to being wrong.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Retro and Palutena are unlockable. But I guess Little Mac could be considered retro??
Nah, Palutena's role in Uprising should warrant her as a starter. She's not obscure and she's a major part of Kid Icarus.

People will be upset if they look on the back of the cover and there are no visible additions to existing franchises. Just Villager and other so-so IPs.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would be sad if unlockables didn't happen. That was always my favorite part about Smash. Just being to sit and earn things in the game.

My friends were planning on coming over so we could unlock everything the first day it comes out. I would be upset, but I can see it happening.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Given the tendency of fighting games no longer having secret characters, it wouldn't surprise me that the entire roster would be available from start this time.

To add fuel to the fire, Sakurai has stated that he doesn't like spoilers revealed on the Internet. Sure, he was talking about Adventure Mode's cutscenes, but who's to say this same vision won't apply to unlockable characters?

Indeed, if this ends up happening and the roster is fully available at the start, the challenger approaching screen would be surely be missed.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Nah, Palutena's role in Uprising should warrant her as a starter. She's not obscure and she's a major part of Kid Icarus.
Well I could see her being a starter, but I'm keeping my starter roster small so anything could happen.
People will be upset if they look on the back of the cover and there are no visible additions to existing franchises. Just Villager and other so-so IPs.
That is why you get pleasant surprise when you play the game!!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would be sad if unlockables didn't happen. That was always my favorite part about Smash. Just being to sit and earn things in the game.
Unlocking stuff is pretty much a waste of time, considering you're going to be spoiled very quickly. Even if you try your hardest to somehow avoid spoilers, the feeling of excitement will only show up once and never happen again.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
New day, new Ghirahim.

What's the topic now? inb4 “nothing"
Unlockables or something.

I want unlockables, I love hearing the siren sound and me going "oh who's this?" "is that who I think it is?"

That's why I don't want sakurai to reveal all the characters.... cause then it wouldn't be much of a surprise to unlocking characters....

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

My friends were planning on coming over so we could unlock everything the first day it comes out. I would be upset, but I can see it happening.
I don't understand the mentality of no unlockables.

1. Doesn't make sense to have such obscure characters, special characters, or clones at the beginning.
  2. Where's the excitement in starting off with everyone. It's like "Hey you beat the game without even doing anything. Here's your reward: Nothing.
  3. Tell me you don't get excited as **** when you see a silhouette and you're either like "Oh meh gud.....WHO IS DAT!?" or "Oh...my...god...DUDE, IT'S ****ING MEWTWO! YOU CAN PLAY AS HIM IN THIS GAME!?"
You'd have to be a spoiled brat to not want surprised and rewards in the form of awesome characters.

Tell me you don't get goosebumps when you see/hear this:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Given the tendency of fighting games no longer having secret characters, it wouldn't surprise me that the entire roster would be available from start this time.

To add fuel to the fire, Sakurai has stated that he doesn't like spoilers revealed on the Internet. Sure, he was talking about Adventure Mode's cutscenes, but who's to say this same vision won't apply to unlockable characters?

Indeed, if this ends up happening and the roster is fully available at the start, the challenger approaching screen would be surely be missed.
I wouldn't mind knowing all characters but still having to unlock some.

The times of not knowing these things is long gone. But the activity of unlocking is still fun for me.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Unlocking stuff is pretty much a waste of time, considering you're going to be spoiled very quickly. Even if you try your hardest to somehow avoid spoilers, the feeling of excitement will only show up once and never happen again.
Must you ***** about everything in Smash? Specifiically good things? :sadeyes:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To each his own I suppose. I've always loved it. Since I was a kid with Melee, I already knew the roster and I still loved unlocking things and the characters.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't understand the mentality of no unlockables.

1. Doesn't make sense to have such obscure characters, special characters, or clones at the beginning.
  2. Where's the excitement in starting off with everyone. It's like "Hey you beat the game without even doing anything. Here's your reward: Nothing.
  3. Tell me you don't get excited as **** when you see a silhouette and you're either like "Oh meh gud.....WHO IS DAT!?" or "Oh...my...god...DUDE, IT'S ****ING MEWTWO! YOU CAN PLAY AS HIM IN THIS GAME!?"
You'd have to be a spoiled brat to not want surprised and rewards in the form of awesome characters.

Tell me you don't get goosebumps when you see/hear this:
Nothing comes close to the feeling of seeing Luigi, Mewtwo and Ganon's silohettes in Melee. Nothing. Brawl's sucked, let's hope it's more akin to Melee this time.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Even if you
Nothing comes close to the feeling of seeing Luigi, Mewtwo and Ganon's silohettes in Melee. Nothing. Brawl's sucked, let's hope it's more akin to Melee this time.
Yeah, Brawl's sound effect was less epic and the silhouette pops up way too fast for you to take it in. It didn't even have the grid moving in the background.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I don't really care about unlockables, just want to play with the characters. It's not like I get surprised by the challenger approaching, since I already know what character are in.
One of the things I actually liked about SSE was that it gave an easy way to get the characters.
It only wastes your time if you are on the competitive side. :awesome:
I'm not competitive.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I said it before, but they should just make it like marvel vs capcom 3. At the initial start of the game they ask you if you want all characters unlocked from the start, or if you want to unlock them yourself. Boom best of both worlds, you can play with everyone when you take it to a friends, and you can also have the choice to get every character yourself.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You mean the pointless thing that wastes your time?
Well not everybody is content with just getting right to getting good. I myself love the experience of going through and unlocking things.

It wastes time depending on what the player wants to do in game.

Maybe there should be a function of putting in a code to unlock everyone at the start for those who don't want to deal with it.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
It only wastes your time if you are on the competitive side. :awesome:
I'm on the competitive side and I think it doesn't waste your time. It's actually a neat feature, sure its only one time but you remember dat moment, like mewtwo and marth/roy. and wolf for me, cause I didn't go through all the SSE I just rushed it.

What, we can't have fun or something?

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
If we get 2 characters per month and SSB4 comes out in December, with 2 characters already shown for december, we would have 43 characters shown. That still leaves some room for unlockables, so we'll probably see unlockables in the game.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I said it before, but they should just make it like marvel vs capcom 3. At the initial start of the game they ask you if you want all characters unlocked from the start, or if you want to unlock them yourself. Boom best of both worlds, you can play with everyone when you take it to a friends, and you can also have the choice to get every character yourself.
I think they should put secret characters in the Challenges section and offer you couple Golden Hammers to break them free.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
@ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero
Because in video games, everything must serve a purpose in order to be enjoyable. Why don't we just have ONE character in every Mario Kart, but give him different physics to select from that change nothing aesthetically. Because you know, having different characters that don't do anything different is a pointless waste of time.

Let's not have music either. It's not like it changes the game play. Get rid of that too, it's a pointless waste of time. And those unlockables? Don't get me started! What kind of game requires you to accomplish tasks and be rewarded for it? Ugh!

You know what I can't stand? TOON LINK! That little ******* has to be in Smash just because he's one of the most popular and beloved Zelda characters and incarnations of Link. I don't want to play as loveable characters in Smash! I want to play as their move set! You wasted all that time implementing Marth's model into the game when you could have just let as play as his sword!? Jeez, Sakurai! What's wrong with you?

It's not like the concept of Super Smash Brothers was to fight as your favorite Nintendo characters!

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
The reason why we will always get unlockable content in Smash and most fighting video games is that the idea of it encourages people to play the game more than once. To "beat" the game. It has little to do with the overall surprise effect.

Also, there's nothing that confirms that the starting roster won't be the characters revealed pre-release. It's entirely plausible that we won't know any unlockable character beforehand, safe for the third parties.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The reason why we will always get unlockable content in Smash and most fighting video games is that the idea of it encourages people to play the game more than once. To "beat" the game. It has little to do with the overall surprise effect.

Also, there's nothing that confirms that the starting roster won't be the characters revealed pre-release. It's entirely plausible that we won't know any unlockable character beforehand, safe for the third parties.
This. Secret characters aren't there to be a suprise, they're there to keep you playing.
Also, I really don't see the purpose in having third-parties be unlockable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom