• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It's arguable if the Paper Mario games are a separate franchise.
Although I feel like it's possible that Paper Mario gets in as his own rep, since Yoshi is very closely tied with the Mario franchise, yet he is his own series.
And Mario is in both games as the Mario we all know and love. DK and Wario have branched off entirely from Mario, while Mario is still a big part of Yoshi's Island.
So it's possible.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Wait, why on earth wouldn't Rosalina be a starter
She's not a major Mario character and her status in games is usually unlock able. She's more of a special Mario character. Why WOULD she be a starter?

especially as she is a newcomer, NON third party character that was revealed at a point when we don't even know what the specific release date is?
And that makes her a starter because......why??? This is a rather strange criteria you've invented.

It would seem pretty pointless to spoil unlockable Nintendo newcomers at this point when we haven't even had all of the starting roster revealed.
Maybe to you, but not to Sakurai. That's why he already revealed Luigi, Toon Link, Sonic, and Marth. When did a handful of people suddenly decide that your status in game is based on how early you are revealed? Why do you people base it off of this unestablished mentality you created rather than logic, patterns, and actual established rules and traditions?

I've seen people talking about this way too often. It's so ignorant.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The only two newcomers I desperately want since Mega Man and Rosalina have made the cut, are Professor Layton and Reggie.

The former is a no brainer, if you ask me. One of the most popular DS franchises out there, and if you look at the "Nintendo Characters Hub" on Club Nintendo, Layton is there. That, and it wouldn't be that hard to make a moveset for him. Layton has had his share of fights, and has taken care of threatening characters in all manner of ways.

Reggie may be a bit of a pipe dream, and I know a lot of people may not like the idea of a real person being in Smash, but I think he is iconic enough. Plus, how cool would an "E3 Stage" arena be? :p
I did sign the Reggie petition though, and I am a bit hopeful, seeing as it was acknowledged by him on multiple occasions.

Other than those two, I expect/sort of want Dillon and Lady Palutena. I haven't really played their respective games, but from what I have played of the former and seen of the latter, they seem like really endearing characters!

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
Last edited by a moderator:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Don't forget about the story, it's much deeper than the regular games.
Dude, the NAME OF THE GAME IS PAPER MARIO! Dr. Mario was a mario character and that game had nothing to do with Mario except that Mario was in it.

It's arguable if the Paper Mario games are a separate franchise.
Although I feel like it's possible that Paper Mario gets in as his own rep, since Yoshi is very closely tied with the Mario franchise, yet he is his own series.
And Mario is in both games as the Mario we all know and love. DK and Wario have branched off entirely from Mario, while Mario is still a big part of Yoshi's Island.
So it's possible.
It's very simple. If it's not called "Mario". It's a spin off series.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Tobacco!
[collapse=]

[/collapse
Come at us Diddy, where's your Phantom now? :troll:
While I agree that the poses look very similar, the Brawl one occurs right as Zelda grabs the AT, whereas the Phantom pose would occur a few seconds afterwards. How long does she keep her arm up in Brawl?

BlindFox

Smash Journeyman
Do you people seriously believe that Regie will appear in the game? Yeah, it would be funny as hell to jump around balance boards and eating french food, but.. Really? XD

And do you think that they're going to put the battle damage feature in the game? I'd be interesting.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If you honestly think Luigi, Toon Link, and Rosalina are starters then your ignorance knows no bounds.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
While I agree that the poses look very similar, the Brawl one occurs right as Zelda grabs the AT, whereas the Phantom pose would occur a few seconds afterwards. How long does she keep her arm up in Brawl?
When she picks up an assist trophy, she holds it up in the air as you would expect, then the character or whatever pops out of it. She then sticks her arm out in this pose, during which time the assist can get far enough away to go off screen. The screenshot is a little off, but I can guarantee that her arm does bend almost exactly as it does in the Phantom picture right before she extends it fully and then pulls back. If I could get the screenshot myself, I would have gotten the pose at nearly the exact moment.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
Dude, the NAME OF THE GAME IS PAPER MARIO! Dr. Mario was a mario character and that game had nothing to do with Mario except that Mario was in it.

It's very simple. If it's not called "Mario". It's a spin off series.
Except Wario represents his own series even though the name "Wario" is inherently a spin-off of "Mario".

(I do believe that Paper Mario would be considered a Mario character, though).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If you honestly think Luigi, Toon Link, and Rosalina are starters then your ignorance knows no bounds.
I mean, we don't know enough about Rosalina, but Luigi and Toon Link are obvious starters because of past Smash Bros games.
So we can say for Rosalina, but she seems like an unlockable to me.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
When I tried, it only lasted for barely a frame. Most of the trophies clipped through Zelda herself since they are released above her head. But the ones that flew off screen gave me enough room to take a pic.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
While we're on the topic of unlockables...
I find it possible that Meta Knight can make the jump to unlockable status this time around.
Especially if Waddle Dee makes it in. WD seems like a starter to me.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
So, that pose is her grab, eh?
That's the pose she makes directly after she releases an assist trophy, it wasn't captured in the image, but her arm does bend the same way as the one image with the Phantom. I think this is clear enough evidence that the Phantom is an assist trophy.

D

Deleted member

Interesting....while to me, having the Phantom Zelda be an Assist is strange (and 3 Zelda Assists if Tingle comes back?), it does seem as if it really is the case.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Do you people seriously believe that Regie will appear in the game? Yeah, it would be funny as hell to jump around balance boards and eating french food, but.. Really? XD

And do you think that they're going to put the battle damage feature in the game? I'd be interesting.
I said I was slightly hopeful, but that it was more a pipe dream, I didn't say it will DEFINITELY happen. If it weren't for the fact that Reggie has acknowledged the petition on two occasions, as well as proposing a Final Smash for himself, I would say there is no chance at all! :V

As for starters/unlockables - for now, I am assuming there will be no unlockable characters at all, actually. I definitely don't think any of the currently revealed characters will be unlockable, regardless, and will be starters, as Brawl's secret characters were optional spoilers you could check on the official site. The only ones that were revealed outright were Sonic and Snake. So with the possible exception of Mega Man and Sonic, I think all of the currently revealed characters will be starters, assuming unlockables will be a thing this time.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It might as well be confirmed as an AT. There's no reason to speculate otherwise.
I just think the idea that Sakurai would completely cut out Sheik for one move is outrageous. That wouldn't make any sense and would probably piss off a lot of people.

If anything, I don't think it's her down b.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
Okay, I have a new prediction roster with no Victini this time. Here it is!

I will explain the ones that don't make sense to most.
  • Midna is added mainly because of TP designs being dominant over SS or ALBW. I have a feeling that Midna might be getting in the game. And Wolf Link? Midna could be even more unique with him, a mount that actually jumps. *glares at Excitebiker*
  • Little Mac, Pac-Man and Mii are as good as confirmed. That leak made it pretty obvious that they all are getting in. Besides, every character has a little evidence. Little Mac has the boxing ring, Pac-Man has Namco-Bandai, and the Mii has that Find Mii stage. Naysayers say that the guy posted it as a "prediction", but really, they're just in denial because they don't want Mii or Pac-Man in the game.
  • Wolf being cut is due to him being a semi-clone. And Falco? He has seniority, and is arguably more important. Sorry lonekonwolf.
  • Lucario being cut... Well, I don't know if every Pokémon from Brawl is returning, and if one is cut, it would probably be him. Yes, he got a mega evo, but every veteran is important as of now (except Jigglypuff, but she's a shoo-in). Lucario, I would say, is a possible cut, though.
  • Lip over Takamaru? Well, Nintendo Land is a big deal, but Sakurai thinks of PdP as a masterpiece, and what Sakurai thinks is more important than small cameos in recent games.
  • Lucas being cut is due to him being a semi-clone of a dead franchise.
  • Diskun is obviously the "historical" character, and he's the only real competitor besides Daitoryo (who I feel is a Smashboards-created concept Sakurai never thought of) and Sheriff (who uses guns which Sakurai wouldn't do). So yeah, Diskun is probably getting in.
*puts up flame shield* Okay, now I'm ready to be judged.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

• Midna is added mainly because of TP designs being dominant over SS or ALBW. I have a feeling that Midna might be getting in the game. And Wolf Link? Midna could be even more unique with him, a mount that actually jumps. *glares at Excitebiker*
  • Little Mac, Pac-Man and Mii are as good as confirmed. That leak made it pretty obvious that they all are getting in. Besides, every character has a little evidence. Little Mac has the boxing ring, Pac-Man has Namco-Bandai, and the Mii has that Find Mii stage. Naysayers say that the guy posted it as a "prediction", but really, they're just in denial because they don't want Mii or Pac-Man in the game.
  • Wolf being cut is due to him being a semi-clone. And Falco? He has seniority, and is arguably more important. Sorry lonekonwolf.
  • Lucario being cut... Well, I don't know if every Pokémon from Brawl is returning, and if one is cut, it would probably be him. Yes, he got a mega evo, but every veteran is important as of now (except Jigglypuff, but she's a shoo-in). Lucario, I would say, is a possible cut, though.
  • Lip over Takamaru? Well, Nintendo Land is a big deal, but Sakurai thinks of PdP as a masterpiece, and what Sakurai thinks is more important than small cameos in recent games.
  • Diskun is obviously the "historical" character, and he's the only real competitor besides Daitoryo (who I feel is a Smashboards-created concept Sakurai never thought of) and Sheriff (who uses guns which Sakurai wouldn't do). So yeah, Diskun is probably getting in.
3 Links.
0/10
:troll:

In all seriousness though, being a semi-clone doesn't matter really.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I just think the idea that Sakurai would completely cut out Sheik for one move is outrageous. That wouldn't make any sense and would probably piss off a lot of people.

If anything, I don't think it's her down b.
But If she was separated or turned into impa would it really be that bad if the character is still esentially there? Even just moving transform to the d pad could free up at least one new special.

We always go on about new characters and what not, but I feel like hardly anyone wants change for the characters we had previously. Am I the only one who wants some honest to god changes to spruce up these characters? since we are going to be playing as them again for probably close to another decade, I want new aspects to look forward to, but as of right now other than bowser and pit almost all the rest seem exactly the same. It just bothers me to see so many want an exact copy of everything we had before

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

I would cut Midna + W. Link with another Zelda character, like maybe Ganon, Tingle, or Vaati. Overall I think the roster is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom