• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosSoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosSoul
3DS FC
2148-8364-1572
guys we are arguing close to clone territory stop this maddness

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm surprised no one is talking about alt colors for our roster...unless I'm wrong as that'll be something new

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I've heard a lot of variations on it. Forgive me. :facepalm: (This is what happens when I don't get enough sleep -3-)

Still not believing the rumor though. Taking it with a massive grain of salt.
I take with an entire bowl full of salt.

Lucky for me, I like my meals extra salty.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
If we're going to have both (and we will), Toon Link and Link should at least have different movesets.

Hell, even just different specials. The games Toon Link has been in have plenty of unique items in them, such as Roc's Cape, the Gust Jar, the Snake Whip, the Fairy Hammer/Skull Hammer...

How about something like

B - Gust Jar: Hold to suck in, which does no damage, but if you let one person get close enough, they'll get sucked in ala Kirby or DeDeDe. The difference is that letting go of the button shoots them out in a forward arc with pretty good knockback, but you can't move around (or change direction, no edge camping but good for edgeguarding) with someone stuck in the jar. So it's actually useful.

Side B - Snake Whip: Link cracks his whip straight out in front of him, straight up, or up at an angle. If you sweetspot someone with the tip, you get the whip-cracking sound and it sends them flying.

Up B - Roc's Cape: Toon Link seemingly grows a set of bright blue-and-white wings. These give you two extra jumps as long as they are active, then dissolve upon landing, or expending both jumps.

Down B - Skull Hammer: Link performs a wide horizontal swing with the Skull Hammer, hitting foes on both sides of him. However, the move has tons of ending lag, making it extremely punishable.
. . .
. . .
toon link is already revealed, and he is shown to still have three of his specials already, the bow, the bomb, and the spin attack

UltimateWario

Smash Master
. . .
. . .
toon link is already revealed, and he is shown to still have three of his specials already
I'm entirely aware of that. I'm just saying that it shouldn't be the case.

If you're going to be that way, everyone should just shut up right now, because the roster's already settled, everyone has their moves, and the stages, items, assist trophies, and music are all decided. :troll:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You're missing the point. Ganondorf was the main antagonist in three huge console titles. He was almost in the Oracle games. Ganon hasn't really been used since Four Swords Adventures in 2004. He was in A Link Between Worlds because the whole game is a throwback to A Link to the Past.

As it stands, Ganon is the monster form of the character, Ganondorf, and that is finely reflected in his appearance in Super Smash Bros. Should he get a better Final Smash with more control, it would be a perfect representation of the character. But there is literally no reason to include more than one Ganon, as they are the same character, representing the same thing: Evil.

Oh, and I'm sorry I made a satirical comment on your obsession with Pacman. You so aggressively support him, it agitates me.
And Ganon has appeared as the main antagonist in two huge console titles and three major handheld titles.

Ganon appearing in A Link Between Worlds is still Ganon appearing in A Link Between Worlds. Doesn't matter if the inspiration to the game was to be another game like A Link to the Past, it was still a new Zelda title with Ganon in it.

And I really don't support Pac-Man all that actively. I very rarely get into arguments about him any more.

Protagonist =/= antagonist. The playable character always takes priority over everyone, antagonist, support character, or otherwise.
There was a reason the rest of the post was there.
Link is also in twice as many Games than Ganon/Ganondorf.
If I'm wrong about it making as much or more sense for Ganon, my point still stands that than Ganon has appeared in more games, in a similar situation to the Young Links'.

ChaosSoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosSoul
3DS FC
2148-8364-1572
gona take a shot in the dark here instead of ganondorf we will get yuga and yuga ganon

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Link's move-set is keeping me from maining Link. Toon Link mitigates those losses and makes the difference negligible. :awesome:
Link could always just be good.

But we both know that's impossible. :awesome:

Was Link any good in Melee? I honestly can't remember. All my Melee time was spent with either Samus or Mewtwo.

gona take a shot in the dark here instead of ganondorf we will get yuga and yuga ganon
God, I certainly hope not. Yuga served his purpose well enough, but I wasn't particularly interested in or intimidated by him at any point. And YuGanon is just ****ing ugly, and not even in a cool way.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
I'm entirely aware of that. I'm just saying that it shouldn't be the case.

If you're going to be that way, everyone should just shut up right now, because the roster's already settled, everyone has their moves, and the stages, items, assist trophies, and music are all decided. :troll:
um . . . what? you lost me, why shouldn't it be the case, he done and confirmed, and his specials don't looked changed, there is no point to speculate his moveset when its being shown, or at the very least his specials

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So, let me see if I understand this.
You argue against other alternate versions of characters because they're not "needed", argue that a second Link is needed, then claim how it doesn't matter if a second Link is needed or not anyway since Toon Link is already in Wii U/3DS because "it shows Sakurai sees value in it"?
And yet, you argue against Dr. Mario despite Sakurai already showing he sees value in him?

There's only two games where Link is an "adult" with a debatable third. If that's significant enough for the franchise as a whole to warrant BOTH an "adult" and a "young" Link, then those 5 or so games where Mario goes under a medical persona and the bonus appearances in other Mario games that the Viruses make should be significant enough to include Dr. Mario as well.
The difference here is that Dr.Mario isn't as big a deal as either Link. Both are by leaps and bounds more iconic than the doctor persona of Mario. In context of what is more important to the respective series, the Link's make sense. Dr.Mario does not have the same reasoning behind him, nor does he have the star power that any version of Link does.

The reason why I find Doc highly unlikely at this point is because I personally believe that 6 Mario slots is a bit much.

Toon Link is an exception. That's basically all I think there is to say.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Don't think so. ALBW has barely been out over a week in Japan, I don't think Sakurai has played it yet, plus he has probably had the roster planned for awhile.

Morbi

Scavenger
Link could always just be good.

But we both know that's impossible. :awesome:

Was Link any good in Melee? I honestly can't remember. All my Melee time was spent with either Samus or Mewtwo.
He was decent in Melee, he wasn't necessarily the best (low-mid tier), but in Melee a bad character wasn't as bad as a bad character in Brawl. He didn't have that god-forsaken Gale Boomerang either.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
um . . . what? you lost me, why shouldn't it be the case, he done and confirmed, and his specials don't looked changed, there is no point to speculate his moveset when its being shown, or at the very least his specials
I wasn't speculating anything. I was saying that he should be different, just like when I say that Ridley should have been playable since Melee.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Don't think so. ALBW has barely been out over a week in Japan, I don't think Sakurai has played it yet, plus he has probably had the roster planned for awhile.
Well, to be fair, he would have known what was happening in the West before even we in the West knew.

ChaosSoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosSoul
3DS FC
2148-8364-1572
but it still would be pretty sweet to have yuga he could ........ uh crap there are no walls to merge with

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
I wasn't speculating anything. I was saying that he should be different, just like when I say that Ridley should have been playable since Melee.
just because it should, doesn't mean it would happen, especially when it makes sense to give a link a sword, shield, bow, and bombs, it would just be weird if he didn't have it

ChaosSoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaosSoul
3DS FC
2148-8364-1572
you know whats gona suck when the game comes out we will all start complaining about the bad stuff and forget this crazy fun ride that led to it all the speculation and discusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom