• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
why would someone try to talk their A** off, just to convince you about a character? just pick one you like, fire emblem so different who knows what the outcome would be, it could be anything or nothing
I pick..................................:idea:
upload_2014-1-5_23-18-12.jpeg

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So how about Robin? Who wants to try and sell him to me?
Honestly, I think Robin's the best choice for the new Fire Emblem representative.

You see, the two most important aspects of Fire Emblem combat are the two triangles. The weapon triangle (swords beat axes, axes beat lances, and lances beat swords) is partially represented by both of our current representatives with swords.

However, there is another triangle that is equally important to the games that is just kind of ignored. This is the Trinity of Magic. (It was originally the Anima triangle, but that has since been changed) In the Trinity of Magic, Anima beats Light, Light beats Dark, and Dark beats Anima.

These triangles parallel each other. While damage dealt by weapons is determined by a unit's defense, damage dealt by magic is determined by resistance. In order to succeed in Fire Emblem, you basically are required to have both magic users and weapon users.

Robin is the only character that we can use to fill in this gap. Being arguably as important as the Lords, Robin is the essentially the player in canon. He is behind all the critical decisions made on the battlefield. Like the lords, he cannot die, or you will get a game over.

Now, being the player, the character Robin is a bit of a blank slate. He is smart and not much else. He does not have any real opinions of his own simply so that he does not contradict the player's opinion. He is also customizable as most avatars are. You can choose between genders (I'm simply using he as a "gender neutral" term, but the female would actually likely be the default, as it's used in advertisements more), you can have different hair colors, faces, etc..

Now, with Rosalina, we learned that uniqueness is basically the most important aspect of a character. Rosalina was more unique than her competition, so she won out in the end.

And, with Wii Fit Trainer, we learned that we don't even have a problem when there are two models to consider (male and female) for certain avatar characters if Sakurai wishes to include them.

Those were Robin's biggest obstacles. As Robin is more unique and represents a part of the franchise that is currently being criminally underrepresented, he has an advantage over Chrom, who, as a blue-haired swordsman, doesn't stick out as anything special or interesting to many (including myself). Being an avatar is also obviously not a problem, as two out of our four newcomers currently revealed are avatars, and may actually be an advantage since it's easier to decide colors for a character with so many canon options.

Any questions on things that I didn't cover?
No, I meant like brand-new bird characters.
Like Robin? :troll:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well, the love you gave Chrom was rather bland. It just didn't have that drive, so you two broke up.
I will always love Chrom. He was my first... Fire Emblem Lord. However, I digress. While I like him as a character of the franchise, it is highly likely that if he were chosen, his moveset would be at least a semi rip off of one of the other two.

As a lord, he's my boy. But for Smash, while I wouldn't be mad about him getting in, at the very least, Marth and Ike come first.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
same.
Chrom is bleh
and I don't find what's so appealing about Robin except Magic.
That's exactly the game-breaker, though. Just by having long-range magical capabilities alone, the Avatar's move-set would certainly be differentiated from Marth and Ike's, considering they lack projectiles. (The Avatar wouldn't be relegated to Samus' missile-like projectiles or Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, but rather being more miasma-like substance.) It isn't even just a matter of firing objects at other characters for damage, either - elemental tomes could also supply the Avatar various means of defensive properties as well, such as a barrier-creating Tornado or stun-inducing Thoron. In terms of regular attacks, the Avatar would use balanced swordplay, while Special and Strong attacks would be relegated to use of good-reaching magical tomes. Even Roy's elated fire-based attacks would be limited to only certain aspects, unlike the Avatar's elemental range and scope (which Roy cannot possibly accomplish).

Consider, also, a wide array of skills Sakurai can modify for the sake of stat-changing abilities, including Ignis (for example, adding a low percentage amount to physical attacks while subtracting magical attacks, or vice-versa)* or even Rally Spectrum (also, for example, altering percentages on attacks depending on a randomly-generated aura color)*. The Avatar could start off as a jack-of-all-trades character with balanced stats, yet with the use of these abilities can very slightly (so as not to overpower) change the output of his/her overall speed, strength, and defense. Perhaps it is not a popular idea for competitively-based players for such chance-based abilities, yet Sakurai wouldn't be limited to this mindset (not that I'm saying he would).

* Note: these abilities are not the actual in-game skills from Awakening, but rather an approximation of what a modified variation would look like.

If you're looking for interestingly thought-out move-sets, look no further than those created by Gingerbread Man, jaytalks, Lunadis, and TCT~Phantom (among others) in the support thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/time-to-tip-the-scales-robin-tactician-for-ssb4.334742/

The only reasonable alternatives for a practically guaranteed unique Fire Emblem newcomer would be Lyndis and Anna (by this, I mean choice for playable inclusion that would make sense in context of Sakurai's criteria). While Chrom and Roy do carry the potentiality for uniqueness (stance characters, for example), it appears they may require more of an exhaustive workload for Sakurai than the Avatar would (unless Sakurai finds the ticklish idea of semi-clones to be his fancy, which has not been uncommon beforehand). Personally, I find the Avatar to be more energy-efficient in this regard, if we are speaking on terms of diversity.

So how about Robin? Who wants to try and sell him to me?
We once had a conversation over this subject matter, although it ended rather abruptly after my lengthy response. Why?

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
All this Robin talk has sold me - I'd be happy if the Avatar were in, though I'm 50/50 on it actually happening.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
That's exactly the game-breaker, though. Just by having long-range magical capabilities alone, the Avatar's move-set would certainly be differentiated from Marth and Ike's, considering they lack projectiles. (The Avatar wouldn't be relegated to Samus' missile-like projectiles or Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, but rather being more miasma-like substance.) It isn't even just a matter of firing objects at other characters for damage, either - elemental tomes could also supply the Avatar various means of defensive properties as well, such as a barrier-creating Tornado or stun-inducing Thoron. In terms of regular attacks, the Avatar would use balanced swordplay, while Special and Strong attacks would be relegated to use of good-reaching magical tomes. Even Roy's elated fire-based attacks would be limited to only certain aspects, unlike the Avatar's elemental range and scope (which Roy cannot possibly accomplish).

Consider, also, a wide array of skills Sakurai can modify for the sake of stat-changing abilities, including Ignis (for example, adding a low percentage amount to physical attacks while subtracting magical attacks, or vice-versa)* or even Rally Spectrum (also, for example, altering percentages on attacks depending on a randomly-generated aura color)*. The Avatar could start off as a jack-of-all-trades character with balanced stats, yet with the use of these abilities can very slightly (so as not to overpower) change the output of his/her overall speed, strength, and defense. Perhaps it is not a popular idea for competitively-based players for such chance-based abilities, yet Sakurai wouldn't be limited to this mindset (not that I'm saying he would).

* Note: these abilities are not the actual in-game skills from Awakening, but rather an approximation of what a modified variation would look like.

If you're looking for interestingly thought-out move-sets, look no further than those created by Gingerbread Man, jaytalks, Lunadis, and TCT~Phantom (among others) in the support thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/time-to-tip-the-scales-robin-tactician-for-ssb4.334742/

The only reasonable alternatives for a practically guaranteed unique Fire Emblem newcomer would be Lyndis and Anna (by this, I mean choice for playable inclusion that would make sense in context of Sakurai's criteria). While Chrom and Roy do carry the potentiality for uniqueness (stance characters, for example), it appears they may require more of an exhaustive workload for Sakurai than the Avatar would (unless Sakurai finds the ticklish idea of semi-clones to be his fancy, which has not been uncommon beforehand). Personally, I find the Avatar to be more energy-efficient in this regard, if we are speaking on terms of diversity.

We once had a conversation over this subject matter, although it ended rather abruptly after my lengthy response. Why?
Yet, there's characters from other series that can use magic, that can arguably cause more hype for the game. If we're getting a magic character I would want it to be from a new series, tbh. Also, Zelda also already has that magic like powers you're describing. I'd honestly prefer someone else from Fire Emblem, even if they don't bring a projectile.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Yet, there's characters from other series that can use magic, that can arguably cause more hype for the game. If we're getting a magic character I would want it to be from a new series, tbh. Also, Zelda also already has that magic like powers you're describing. I'd honestly prefer someone else from Fire Emblem, even if they don't bring a projectile.
A character such as?

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I can understand the mindset for bringing in yet-to-be-represented series (Isaac, for example), yet I do consider the possibility of another Fire Emblem character highly likely. If we are to get another such character from the series, I'd rather hope Sakurai optimizes his assets in the Avatar over the, more-than-likely, half-baked semi-clones in Chrom and Roy (although I'd rather bring in Lyndis if it was a case between the Avatar and her).

EDIT: Isaac would be a great character whose move-set would have unlimited potential. Yet, I worry Sakurai may overlook the series entirely by relegating it in a mere Assist Trophy role.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I can understand the mindset for bringing in yet-to-be-represented series (Isaac, for example), yet I do consider the possibility of another Fire Emblem character highly likely. If we are to get another such character from the series, I'd rather hope Sakurai optimizes his assets in the Avatar over the, more-than-likely, half-baked semi-clones in Chrom and Roy (although I'd rather bring in Lyndis if it was a case between the Avatar and her).

EDIT: Isaac would be a great character whose move-set would have unlimited potential. Yet, I worry Sakurai may overlook the series entirely by relegating it in a mere Assist Trophy role.
Yeah, I could see a 3rd FE rep, but to me and a lot of other people Ike and Marth is all that is really needed, anything else at the moment is complimentary, and when it comes complimentary, that's where the flame wars come in, look at the Zelda series, right now.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Micaiah doesn't really have the support for a few reasons, in RD once Ike entered the fray, Micaiah was just in his shadow leading to a lack of character development for her, causing her to be named as a "Mary Sue". Micaiah wasn't as popular as she could of been because of this. Her problem could easily be shared with Chrom and Eliwood with considered being one of the main characters, but the other protagonists outshine them in many ways.
I'm surprised there isn't an archetype for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom