• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Do bear in mind that many veterans may not be revealed before release, as Sakurai will likely keep some as hidden characters.
I doubt it. Luigi has been a traditional veteran, but got revealed. There was something special for him, so ok, no issue. That leaves Marth and Toon Link without explanations. I think he either doesn't care about revealing them or we won't have hidden characters this time around, the prior being more likely.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
What about him? Obviously the roster of hidden characters will change, but I can't imagine Sakurai dispensing with a long-standing Smash tradition.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Toon Link screams "unlockable" to me.
What about these guys then?

Eh I'm with GOLD3N LOTUS, Either Sakurai doesn't care about revealing unlockable characters anymore (Or unlockable veterans at least) or there may not be any unlockable characters this time around. :/

Or maybe every Brawl veteran and a few newcomers are starters now and we only get to unlock the newcomers now? :/ Eh guess we'll have to wait and see...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'd of suggested he was just revealing the obvious Veteran unlockables since no one ever doubted Marth and Luigi were going to be in the game, but Toon Link screws that possible theory up.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Doesn't matter who is unlockable anyway. Chances are that Luigi, Marth,Toon Link, and a few others are unlockable. We'll likely get characters at random. Unless a release date for a certain game comes up. Which is why everyone thinks we'll see Dedede soon.

What's going on today?
Nothing super important. We're pretty much waiting for updates to start rolling in tomorrow.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'd of suggested he was just revealing the obvious Veteran unlockables since no one ever doubted Marth and Luigi were going to be in the game, but Toon Link screws that possible theory up.
That's my theory. Toon Link falls into that category too, as there was child Link in Melee, too. I think any character that is in two games in a row becomes a mainstay.

Also Toon Link was revealed to promote Wind Waker HD. So, there's that.

Swamp Castle

Smash Apprentice
I'm not saying that these people in question are not unlockable, but you guys do remember that CAPTAIN FALCON was available from the start in Melee, right? Anything can happen.

I can definitely believe Luigi and Marth being available from the beginning ... Toon Link, well, that's another story. But then again, anything can happen.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I'm not saying that these people in question are not unlockable, but you guys do remember that CAPTAIN FALCON was available from the start in Melee, right? Anything can happen.

I can definitely believe Luigi and Marth being available from the beginning ... Toon Link, well, that's another story. But then again, anything can happen.
The first game was SSB64, AND Captain Falcon was in it. That is where my avatar is from.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
"A REAL pic of the day--Luigi joins the battle! In prior games, we've never introduced Luigi before release, but why not? This is the 'Year of Luigi,' after all."
There you go. Luigi's reveal was a special case due to the "Year of Luigi".

I highly doubt we're going to see a lot of unlockables revealed before release.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I think that Ganon and Toon Link will be unlockable characters while Link, Zelda, and Ghirahim will be playable right out of the box.

Swamp Castle

Smash Apprentice
The first game was SSB64, AND Captain Falcon was in it. That is where my avatar is from.
Not sure what that has to do with anything I said ... Captain Falcon was in all three games and was unlockable in the original and in Brawl, hence my comment about him being available from the beginning in Melee. You say that like you don't think I know that Smash 64 existed.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Not sure what that has to do with anything I said ... Captain Falcon was in all three games and was unlockable in the original and in Brawl, hence my comment about him being available from the beginning in Melee. You say that like you don't think I know that Smash 64 existed.
Oh. Derp. I thought you meant the start of Smash was Melee.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
In regards to unlockables:

Yes, we have seen 4, traditionally-unlockable characters revealed for this game: Luigi, Toon Link (2nd Link), Sonic, and Marth. Luigi was stated plainly to be a special case, so there's that.

I'm not saying that there will be no hidden characters, but I also doubt he'll reveal EVERYONE by release. I have the same sentiment as most everyone: Sakurai will do whatever the hell he pleases. He'll showcase every character if he wants. But I doubt there won't be hidden characters this time, it would be so boring to have the roster right from the start. Instead of revealing starters first, I think he will just reveal a character he feels would be right for the appropriate time. So characters like Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch, or Falco may get revealed before released, even if they are hidden.

BlueSorrow

Smash Apprentice
What about these guys then?

Eh I'm with GOLD3N LOTUS, Either Sakurai doesn't care about revealing unlockable characters anymore (Or unlockable veterans at least) or there may not be any unlockable characters this time around. :/

Or maybe every Brawl veteran and a few newcomers are starters now and we only get to unlock the newcomers now? :/ Eh guess we'll have to wait and see...
You missed two more:

:troll:
Character reveals tend to correspond to whatever upcoming game related to them that needs promotion or as part of an anniversary that is important to them. I believe popular characters such as Rosalina will be unlockable in the actual game and Sakurai needs to show off the popular ones in order to promote the game where their status of being an unlockable is trivial at best in my opinion.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
I, for one don't care which characters are unlockable as long as we get a screen like this:

The pure adrenaline I'd get from that screen alone was just perfect. I really hope it returns. Being able to unlock every character through SSE ruined that for me in Brawl.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The pure adrenaline I'd get from that screen alone was just perfect. I really hope it returns. Being able to unlock every character through SSE ruined that for me in Brawl.
Naturally people are going to now say "Why did you do it through the SSE then?", despite the answer being obvious; because you wanted to see what the SSE was all about.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
How do you guys feel about a randomized roster. You start with the original 12 with the addition of 8 randomly picked characters as the starters. Then the rest of the characters are unlockable. It might be a nice way for everyone to have a different experience.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Here's something I made today:

Top line:Ganondorf
Middle line: Mario
Low line: Kirby

Dunno if this really matters to anything, I just felt like making it.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
How do you guys feel about a randomized roster. You start with the original 12 with the addition of 8 randomly picked characters as the starters. Then the rest of the characters are unlockable. It might be a nice way for everyone to have a different experience.
I think you are the first person ever to think of that. What I really want to see is unlockable characters added the Challenges section, and you start with two Golden Hammers so if you want the characters right away, you can get them.

Here ya go, one for Sonic and one for Mega Man.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
We have no proof either way, a gut feeling is not enough to justify rolling your eyes at it.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
People are STILL excepting :toonlink: to be a starter? :rolleyes:
I don't know why it's a big deal, anyway. I mean, Marth, Ness, Sonic, and Snake were in the opening of Brawl, because we already knew those characters would get in. Same with Toon Link. Everyone thought he was one-off and would get cut, but Sakurai counts Young Link as a child Link, so T. Link is really a mainstay now.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Naturally people are going to now say "Why did you do it through the SSE then?", despite the answer being obvious; because you wanted to see what the SSE was all about.
I was expecting that response as well, and that would've been my answer exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom