• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yay,I'm back and ready for tomorrow's pic :D
"Pic of the Day: Here's Mewtwo - as a Pokeball Pokemon! We've heard a lot of complaints about clones in the roster, so we've decided that Mewtwo and Snake will not be returning as playable characters."

:troll:

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Sakurai's only revealed about 20 characters to date, a number which will almost certainly total half or less of the SSB4 roster. Plenty of potentially hidden fighters remain to be revealed.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I expect the picture for tomorrow to be a random character reveal like Wolf or Snake. Or a useless one. It is probably going to be the later.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
While we may not know who will be the unlockables, some of the confirmed characters do look like they shouldn't be available right off the bat.
Even assuming that unlockable characters are making a return, that's still a big leap to make. Remember, character have gone from being unlockable to being starters in between 64 and Melee, and vice-versa in between Melee and Brawl.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
People are STILL excepting :toonlink: to be a starter? :rolleyes:
Why couldn't he be? He's a returning veteran.

Given that Sakurai was careful to hide all unlockable characters behind a spoiler wall for the Dojo, there's no reason to assume that he won't do the same for SSB4 until he states otherwise.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
I expect the picture for tomorrow to be a random character reveal like Wolf or Snake. Or a useless one. It is probably going to be the later.
if wolf does get revealed i'll probably be full of excitement, and would be gone for a day being to busy shoving him down the throats of every one who said he won't come back or replaced

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Even assuming that unlockable characters are making a return, that's still a big leap to make. Remember, character have gone from being unlockable to being starters in between 64 and Melee, and vice-versa in between Melee and Brawl.
Perhaps, but Luigi has always been treated as an unlockable in the Smash Bros. series, and not once has Rosalina been treated as a starter in the games that she's appeared in. Captain Falcon, Ness, and Marth are all right being starting characters though.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm sure it was a bit odd seeing Captain Falcon and Ness as starters for the 64 players. It only feels natural to us because many of us started with Melee.

I'm all for making a whacky starting roster. Even then Marth, Luigi and Rosalina feel like very natural starters to me. Marth is the face of Fire Emblem, Luigi as an unlockable always felt odd to me actually, and Rosalina has only really been unlockable in one game: SM3DW, unless I'm missing something about Mario Kart 7 which I haven't played.

Remember, traditions don't always hold water. Jigglypuff was the first character you unlocked in 64 and Melee, but was one of the last ones in Brawl.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm sure it was a bit odd seeing Captain Falcon and Ness as starters for the 64 players. It only feels natural to us because many of us started with Melee.
Pff, you youngins. I was playing Smash before we had Side-Bs or air dodges!

"Boo hoo! I want Genesect!"

"Waaaaah, I want my favorite character to not suck!"

"No faaaaaair, Sonic's back, I want Snaaake!"

We got twelve characters, nine stages, and everything was sprites!

You whippersnappers want Ridley? You play on Zebes, look into the background, and thank your sweet daddy Nintendo that you had SAMUS, damn it!

Last edited:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Pff, you youngins. I was playing Smash before we had Side-Bs and more than twelve characters! You whippersnappers want Ridley? We were lucky to get Samus, goshdarnit!
pff mate you know nothing, samus was a shoe-in back then, the only character that we were lucky to get was pikachu (and captain falcon and Ness) pokemon wasn't that big back then, take it from someone who grew up around that Time mate

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I grew up around that time, too, and Pokemon was huge. Pokemon was monstrous, like, BIBLICALLY huge back then. Hell, they were the only ones to get two characters besides Mario, after all.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I, for one don't care which characters are unlockable as long as we get a screen like this:

Now THAT was pure epic. I remember getting goosebumps everytime I was ready to fight to get the unlockable. Even grabbed my nephew's controller to fight Mewtwo XD

How do you guys feel about a randomized roster. You start with the original 12 with the addition of 8 randomly picked characters as the starters. Then the rest of the characters are unlockable. It might be a nice way for everyone to have a different experience.
Interesting thought. Kenith's idea of using Golden Hammers right off the bat makes it even more interesting as well.

I'm all for making a whacky starting roster. Even then Marth, Luigi and Rosalina feel like very natural starters to me. Marth is the face of Fire Emblem, Luigi as an unlockable always felt odd to me actually, and Rosalina has only really been unlockable in one game: SM3DW, unless I'm missing something about Mario Kart 7 which I haven't played.

Remember, traditions don't always hold water. Jigglypuff was the first character you unlocked in 64 and Melee, but was one of the last ones in Brawl.
Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 she was unlockable as well

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Mario already starts with 3 playable characters, 5 if you count Wario and Yoshi (and you should). I have a feeling that Luigi will be secret, as will Rosy.

Toon Link should stay secret, because starting with two Links is stupid just like having two in the roster at all.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Now THAT was pure epic. I remember getting goosebumps everytime I was ready to fight to get the unlockable. Even grabbed my nephew's controller to fight Mewtwo XD

Interesting thought. Kenith's idea of using Golden Hammers right off the bat makes it even more interesting as well.
I've actually been saving that idea, I came up with while I was trying to make a fangame.

True story: I got into Mewtwo about the time I unlocked Mewtwo in Melee. Manly tears were shed.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
So you really think just because she's unlockable in the spinoff games means she'll be unlockable in Smash?
It might become the other way around you know.
I'm just saying that because Wariofan didn't know, not that I believe it has influence.
Either way, the odds of Rose being a starter happening are EXTREMELY slim.
HOLY CRAP IMPA CONFIRMED!!! DIDDY WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!!!
:troll:

That's not all! Sheik has been cut! :troll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom