• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I suppose that is the problem with all of our analysis. We can think up a million different movesets but we can't think of a way that they would all work together.
I will admit that being very flexible is both Pac-Man's greatest strength and his greatest weakness. Similar to Mario, Pac-Man is a blank slate, and because of that he can sport many options by default, but at the same time he has a lack of focus. Which is why I think people are struggling to get a big picture on how a character will work. It's not something straight forward like say Little Mac, where you know he is going to specialize in techniques inspired by boxing.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
On the competitive side, do you think GC controllers, Classic controllers, or Pro controllers will be the most popular/used? I'm considering getting a Pro controller just for this game.

Can't we just meet the designs half-way and use this?

While not bad, I just prefer the Pac-Man World design all together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
My main problem is that people are kind of playing it way too safe with the idea of Pac-Man, often thinking very straight forward with what he could do instead trying to expand beyond what they can see. Not even a play style is suggested, from what I've seen.
yeah, i want pacman to have a maze like movement in which he can only move left, right, up, and down. His playstyle can focus on fast manuverability and tricks for him to play different from every other character. The lack of diagonal movement might hurt, but pacman can have excellent traction, can do attacks while walking, and have virtually no lag in any if his attacks. He'll rely on quickness, and weakning tactics (power pellet) to beat the opponent. Heck, maybe even a side-B that lets him come through the other side of the stage like in the original pacman. The ideas are exciting me.. seems i have found inspiration. Thanks, i think... XD but i really do need sleep.

Gune

Smash Lord
On the competitive side, do you think GC controllers, Classic controllers, or Pro controllers will be the most popular/used? I'm considering getting a Pro controller just for this game.
if smash attacks are easily accesible like on the GC controller then yes i think they will be.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Probably the GC controllers would be the more popular choice as those are the ones that most would be better adept to compared to Classic or Pro.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Only problem- I'd need to buy a GC controller and adapter for the Wii U. >_<
I hope Pro Controllers are good for the competitive side.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Actually Gamecube Controllers would be out of the question with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. Not even the adapters will be compatible with the Wii U, they only work for the Wii Mode's functionality due to the varies software having compatibility with the Gamecube Controller.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I don't understand. That looks exactly like the Ghostly Adventures design. Why does it not freak me out?

Overall, I just think that Namco characters are better off not being in Smash 4.

If there was an Namco character in this game, it would most likely be a Tekken character. I, for one would be completely content if we got freaking King in Ssb4.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I don't understand. That looks exactly like the Ghostly Adventures design. Why does it not freak me out?

Overall, I just think that Namco characters are better off not being in Smash 4.

If there was an Namco character in this game, it would most likely be a Tekken character. I, for one would be completely content if we got freaking King in Ssb4.
It's a design of Pac-Man made for Pac-Party, and it's basically a cross between new Pac-Man and old Pac-Man. And why doesn't it freak you out? Probably because this one not only doesn't talk, but doesn't have teeth. :p

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052

If we got a Tekken character, which we're definitely not, it would probably be Heihachi.

I personally think the time to reveal Pac-Man would have been in October, so his last chance would be an E3 reveal, assuming we get another third-party there and the game is there at all. I don't think he'd be a hidden character.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Actually Gamecube Controllers would be out of the question with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. Not even the adapters will be compatible with the Wii U, they only work for the Wii Mode's functionality due to the varies software having compatibility with the Gamecube Controller.
Ah, I wasn't aware of that. In that case, probably the Pro would be the winner between the two due to its design, though Classic will still have familiarity from Brawl for those who played with it.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
So Pro controller it is!

Do you think the lack of GC controllers will have an affect on competitive play?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If we got a Tekken character, which we're definitely not, it would probably be Heihachi.

I personally think the time to reveal Pac-Man would have been in October, so his last chance would be an E3 reveal, assuming we get another third-party there and the game is there at all. I don't think he'd be a hidden character.
Heihachi is the obvious answer. But we did get a Tekken character it would probably be someone stupid like Kazuya.

Alright, I am exhausted. Time for a nap. See you guys later. Don't create another 10 pages for me to read while I am gone.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Heihachi is the obvious answer. But we did get a Tekken character it would probably be someone stupid like Kazuya.

Alright, I am exhausted. Time for a nap. See you guys later. Don't create another 10 pages for me to read while I am gone.
G'night, we'll create another 11 instead!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

His eyes still kinda bother me. Doesn't mesh well for a simple character. They should be all black. Everything else is fine.

Don't forget Jin too. He's been the main character since Tekken 3.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
...Where is Buttville and how do I do get there?

And will it be in Ssb4?
Buttvile has been burned to the ground, and it's already been confirmed as a stage in SSB4!
(Buttvile is was my New Leaf town)

Does your name have anything to do with the name lucifer?
It's a mix of Las (my nickname) and Lucifer, yes. Though, I'm not a Satanist. Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Actually I used a special Third-Party Wii U Pro Controller made for playing Wii games and I had a lot more fun with that than the Gamecube controller. I refused to use any controller, but the GC one for Smash until I found it, so I imagine the official pro controller will be even better.

But, for anyone who can only play Smash with a GC controller, I recommend this if you're not aware of it: http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So who wants to convince me to add Robin to my prediction list?
How about no?

I would say Zoroark and Genesect are in the same position as Debbie; popular for a time; but less so now. I'm confident Lucario, Mewtwo, and all the Pokes from Brawl will return.

New topic: if there was a new Pokemon(s) representing the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, or 6th gen of Pokemon, who would it be?

For second, I choose a Johto Trainer with Totodile, Bayleef and Typhlosion. For third, I choose Plusle & Minun as a semi clone of Pikachu. For 6th, I pick Hawlucha, obviously.

And nobody likes B/W.
I'd like 2nd and 3rd to be combined with Pokemon Trainer having Charizard, Totodile, and Grovyle. If individual:

2nd: Heracross or Tyranitar
3rd: Plusle/Minun, Blaziken, or Garvedoir
5th: Zoroark since 5th Gen wasn't good to me
6th: HAWLUCHA or Goodra

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I heard somewhere that Sakurai will make GC controllers compatible, but I'm not sure if that's true and will be the case.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
How about no?

I'd like 2nd and 3rd to be combined with Pokemon Trainer having Charizard, Totodile, and Grovyle. If individual:

2nd: Heracross or Tyranitar
3rd: Plusle/Minun, Blaziken, or Garvedoir
5th: Zoroark since 5th Gen wasn't good to me
6th: HAWLUCHA or Goodra
SCREW IT ALL NIGHTER IT IS.

I have a personal grudge against Heracross because of one time where the smiling ******* wiped out my whole team...so no to him. Tyranitar could work with a similar playstyle to Charizard.
I have problems with Blaziken due to his similarities to Lucario, and Gardevoir because of Zelda. Plusle & Minun get away with that though as their similarity to Pikachu is kinda the point.

I actually loved B2/W2, but none of its Pokemon warrant a playable character.
And I will be uber pissed if Hawlucha isn't an AT.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
SCREW IT ALL NIGHTER IT IS.

I have a personal grudge against Heracross because of one time where the smiling ******* wiped out my whole team...so no to him. Tyranitar could work with a similar playstyle to Charizard.
I have problems with Blaziken due to his similarities to Lucario, and Gardevoir because of Zelda. Plusle & Minun get away with that though as their similarity to Pikachu is kinda the point.

I actually loved B2/W2, but none of its Pokemon warrant a playable character.
And I will be uber pissed if Hawlucha isn't an AT.
Hawlucha will probably be in a Pokeball.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Can I just say two things about Pac-Man and the previous discussion we had about him?

A:

Pac-Man does have loads of moveset potential. However, being the basic blank slate, Mario-like character he is leaves him with a little of this and a little of that. He does not have many things that are "iconic" to him as he is simply put into whatever role they want him to be in for their next game and they don't really bother with giving him specific powers. Normally, since the newer Pac-Man games are adventuring/collec-a-thon games, he is left with fairly generic powers such as his punch, air kick, and butt bounce. That is, unless he's had a power pellet of some sort. At that point, he gets more interesting (though, admittedly, basic) powers such as a metal form, big butt bounce, lighting powers, a ribbon power (in which a ribbon follows Pac-Man and you have to make a full loop to damage the enemy with an explosion), and the newer fire, chameleon, ice, etc. powers from the new games (and he has a basic power pellet that gives him the power of being able to eat ghosts, obviously). I'm honestly pretty sure that this is a reference to him being pretty helpless in his original game when he doesn't have a power pellet. Without a power pellet, he can navigate the maze and eat stuff, but he can't do much else. With a power pellet, he can do all those things and can also fight back against his enemy ghost monsters.

Now, when we're making a moveset, it feels weird using any of his powers, since he can't normally have them without the use of a power pellet. So we're left with the fairly generic, "bounce on your opponent", "punch your opponent", and "kick your opponent" sort of things. This makes it REALLY hard to make a moveset that's fun and interesting and we're left with a sort of Mario-like case. For Mario, well, all he really does is jump, punch, kick, and spin without his powerups, so what do we do for his moveset? Well, we can give him gear that he's used (F.L.U.D.D.), but that's only a one game thing most of the time. We can make his jump damaging (Up-B), but it looks kinda bland. We can use powerups a bit creatively for stuff we're missing I guess (fireballs and cape). Then we can make a couple of moves up, I guess (up smash). I suppose we could also use certain power ups in a different way than they're used in-game (side smash).

And we're left with a moveset that is basic, but which represents the character well and has references to his games. Not great, but not terrible either.

And no one cares because it's Mario. People are hyped to play as the character Mario! He's popular! He's iconic! He's well-loved! He's basic, sure, but he's Nintendo's freaking mascot!

Pac-Man's in the same basic situation that Mario is in. I suppose we could give him his powerups and we could make a really interesting moveset that's really complicated and fun, but that wouldn't really make a lot of sense since he can't use them that way normally. We'd be misrepresenting that character.

Not only that, but kids and people who just aren't great at fighting games wouldn't like playing as him since they like more simplistic gameplay. They're comfortable and familiar with the character, but they wouldn't think that he's all that fun to play as since he's complicated.

Seriously, think about Pac-Man's fanbase. Pac-Man's fans are normally casual video game players. They play the games because he's recognizable and because the games are easy to get into, regardless of what your skill level is. Basically, we're just like Mario fans, except we're a whole lot smaller and quieter. Most of us are actually terrible at most video games and prefer supporting him by buying his merchandise 'cause he's a cool guy. In fact, those of us who were introduced to him by his arcade game (the majority of us) actually prefer the simplistic "eat the dots to win and avoid the ghosts" gameplay that the arcade games use and we really don't bother with modern Pac-Man all that much.

In order to represent the character accurately and to cater to Pac-Man's fanbase, it's actually a much better idea to give Pac-Man a simple moveset that's easy to pick up in Super Smash Bros..

B:

Which, yes, some people find boring. Especially people that are big fans of fighting games. Or people who join forums to speculate about future games in that series. Or people who talk about frames and character weights and hitboxes and who go to tournaments to play said games.

Smash Bros fans and Smashboards users, basically.

These people generally don't like rounded out, basic characters in their fighting games and they're probably not big fans of Pac-Man since that's what he's most likely going to bring to the table; another well-rounded, balanced, and simple character that's mainly meant to be one that you can just pick up and play.

They don't want that. They want characters that they find interesting, and they never want characters like Pac-Man to get in...And that's fine. That's perfectly understandable. You like what you like and you know what you like. Good for you.

But, please, don't go on and on about how terrible that character is when there are people who grew up with and love the character. You don't see me going around saying that I despise the character Wario because I don't enjoy fart humor and don't want him anywhere near my beloved game of Smash Bros., do you? No, because that's rude and people have their own tastes and interests. I may not like Wario, but there are others who may have grown up with him and who may have waited their whole lives for the chance to play as him in Smash Bros.. I get that. Whatever makes them happy makes me happy, y'know? I'm mature enough to accept the fact that not everyone likes the same things that I like and that not everyone appreciates their favorite characters being called mediocre or uninteresting.

We like Pac-Man. You don't. Okay. Fine. But when we discuss him, please be civil. I accept that you, personally, may not find the character interesting. But that is your opinion only and does not have anything to do with that character's chances and has no reason to be brought up in the Roster Prediction Discussion Thread. Feel free to bring up his hate base like we do with Tingle when we discuss his chances, but don't just mindlessly bash the character. It's disrespectful and just makes you seem like a jerk because that is all you're being.

tl;dr Grow up and stop being so insulted by the fact that there are people who enjoy Pac-man and want him in Smash Bros., k? It's annoying and childish and I, personally, am getting sick of it.

Thank you and good night.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm just so used to Third-Party guests being badass, cool, and unique. Whereas Pac-Man is none of this.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm just so used to Third-Party guests being badass, cool, and unique. Whereas Pac-Man is none of this.
I guess we just have different tastes or something. I've always really liked the character, myself. Heck, I've always liked the "boring" characters (in Smash Bros. and otherwise). That's probably why I wanted Toad too, come to think of it.

I don't know, I just think there's more room for some more of the simple characters that I like (and I grew up with Pac-Man, so...)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I actually like playing Mario because I like his basic moveset.

I don't think they should bring in a 3rd party just because he's a big name. If the character doesn't offer anything unique and interesting I don't see the reason for going through so much trouble to get him in, not to mention he could end up cutting Snake who's incredibly unique.

I say if anything just give him the power-ups in order to make him much more appealing. Kirby can't use his at anytime either, but they went ahead and gave him some of the powers in order to make him more interesting.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
I would actually like to know a single adult who didn't grew up with pac-man, he was basically the video game icon that everyone knew back in the arcade days . . .
True that, it's the only video game my dad knows by name and has played (that and pong) , all other games he calls things like "He's playing pikachu/World of war/Game of Throne again"... :p

Everyone had the Pac-Man fever back in those days :p

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I would actually like to know a single adult who didn't grew up with pac-man, he was basically the video game icon that everyone knew back in the arcade days . . .
Honestly, I'm not even technically an adult yet. My parents were actually the ones to introduce me to Pac-Man.
I actually like playing Mario because I like his basic moveset.

I don't think they should bring in a 3rd party just because he's a big name. If the character doesn't offer anything unique and interesting I don't see the reason for going through so much trouble to get him in, not to mention he could end up cutting Snake who's incredibly unique.

I say if anything just give him the power-ups in order to make him much more appealing. Kirby can't use his at anytime either, but they went ahead and gave him some of the powers in order to make him more interesting.
I think it would be less because he's a big name and more because he's a big name and relatively easy to get into the game considering Sakurai and Namco's current relationship. Sort of like, if he was working with Square-Enix for SSB4 (for some strange reason), then their characters would be easier to get into the game than other third parties like Pac-Man and would have an edge over them.

Regardless, I consider myself to be at least fairly good at making movesets, so I guess I'll try my hand at making one with powerups that can make the moveset really unique. It's also really difficult working some of them in, though. The metal and ribbon ones are almost definitely out since Metal Boxes exist and you can't exactly draw a loop around a character in a 2D game without it being awkward. Might not be able to use the powered-up butt-bounce either, since that would be a bit too similar to his normal butt bounce and would be difficult to translate into Smash Bros while remaining faithful to the original power (huge shockwave). I have fire, ice, and all that jazz at least.

Honestly, Pac-Man's problem isn't that he's lacking moveset potential, it's that nothing quite fits easily except his more simple attacks.

But I'll get it to work. There's a lot to pull from.

(Also, to everyone in this thread, I'm sorry if I sounded a bit touchy in my post. It's just that people tend to say "I don't like the character" and leave it at that or something. It wasn't directed at anyone specifically, it was just something that had been bothering me.)

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
People still here? Huh. What to talk about at nearly 2 AM....

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Classic controller master race! Though I will try the gamepad and might even get a pro controller by then, since those have a huge battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom