• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd ask what's wrong with Ghirahim, but I already know what's wrong with him - he's too fabulous!

Also, I know we're not discussing Ridley anymore, but I know we will, so I'm gonna mention a good way to determine whether or not a character's too big: when they can't fit between the floor and platform on Battlefield.
Bowser's head pokes through the platform if I'm not mistaken, with his new stance.

I'm very meh on Zoroark. It would be cool, but I rather have other Pokemon. I see potential with the Illusion ability, though I dunno how that would work in a moveset. I am also very meh on Lucario as I did not like it' moveset in Brawl.

I absolutely love the Pokemon franchise, but when it comes to Pokemon newcomers, I only really want Mewtwo to return. A solo Charizard would be sweet however.
I think that Zoroark is cool. But not a necessary choice to the roster. Solo Charizard would be okay. But I'd rather have Blaziken and Squirtle.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Also, I know we're not discussing Ridley anymore, but I know we will, so I'm gonna mention a good way to determine whether or not a character's too big: when they can't fit between the floor and platform on Battlefield.
Don't. Just don't.

1. Sakurai never said he was too big.

2. He's not too big.

3. No one is too big unless their primary aspect is being big (Kraid).

4. That's not even a criterion. Bowser already clips through them.

Ridley, just like Bowser, has ranged in size from the same size as Samus to over ten times her size. It'd be unsurprising for him to be just under Bowser's height, as, on the ground, he either walks on all fours or hunches way the hell over.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
But Bowser is already in the game and he clips through the platform.
Does he really? I've never noticed. How much?

Edit: well, I made an obvious mistake. I'm sorry Smash fans, for my misinformation. That was always how I measured size, I didn't know that he actually clipped through the ceiling.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Does he really? I've never noticed. How much?
His horns and hair do. Which might not sound like much, but its noticeable.

I actually want Ridley to be massive, as both an advantage and disadvantage.
You mean like G. Lightman from Tatsunoko vs Capcom? And that Lost Planet Mech I can't remember it's name for some reason.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You mean like G. Lightman from Tatsunoko vs Capcom? And that Lost Planet Mech I can't remember it's name for some reason.
Yeah, sort of like that.

In the context of Super Smash Bros., kind of think like Giga Bowser. A massive character with powerful attacks with good range and a lot of weight making the character very resilient, but is pathetically sluggish and is vulnerable to attacks due to the massive size. Like a variation of a glass cannon.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
People underestimate how crippling a weakness the size of a character's hurtbox can be. Ridley could be fast, strong, and relatively heavy while still not being that great a character solely by being a massive target.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Yeah, sort of like that.

In the context of Super Smash Bros., kind of think like Giga Bowser. A massive character with powerful attacks with good range and a lot of weight making the character very resilient, but is pathetically sluggish and is vulnerable to attacks due to the massive size. Like a variation of a glass cannon.
So make a lithe, deadly fast character into a mighty glacier? Ew.

I'd much rather have him just be around Bowser's size (bigger because of his wings, but they wouldn't have hitboxes), slow as **** on the ground, then the "terrible god of death" in midair.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The problem with Ridley is not his size alone but also his unusual shape. Considering the way he's supposed to look there are very few poses he could assume without looking extremely awkward.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So make a lithe, deadly fast character into a mighty glacier? Ew.

I'd much rather have him just be around Bowser's size (bigger because of his wings, but they wouldn't have hitboxes), slow as **** on the ground, then the "terrible god of death" in midair.
Well, it's only one option. Ridley being more normal sized and being a heavyweight character that specializes in a aerial game also works.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
The problem with Ridley is not his size alone but also his unusual shape.
He's...he's a dragon. He's shaped like a dragon.

He hunches over and uses his arms to walk. His tail curls up close to him somewhat like a scorpion, his wings curl up against him. His wings spread in midair, making him larger, but that's the point; he's supposed to be a presence in the air. When he's in the air, if you are too, it's "Sorry, buddy, looks like your ****ed straight up the tailpipe".

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
He's...he's a dragon. He's shaped like a dragon.

He hunches over and uses his arms to walk. His tail curls up around him somewhat like a scorpion, his wings curl up against him.
I meant unusual in relation to other fighting game characters. In addition, he's not really even shaped like a dragon, more like a pterodactyl with arms.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Don't. Just don't.

1. Sakurai never said he was too big.

2. He's not too big.

3. No one is too big unless their primary aspect is being big (Kraid).

4. That's not even a criterion. Bowser already clips through them.

Ridley, just like Bowser, has ranged in size from the same size as Samus to over ten times her size. It'd be unsurprising for him to be just under Bowser's height, as, on the ground, he either walks on all fours or hunches way the hell over.
But it would be contradictory for ridley to be able to grip samus in his hand in brawl, and be able to look at samus eye-to-eye at equal height in smash 4.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Give Ridley a fighting style that can connect attacks together into flight abilities and vice versa. For a better example:

But it would be contradictory for ridley to be able to grip samus in his hand in brawl, and be able to look at samus eye-to-eye at equal height in smash 4.
Then it would be contradictory that he could grip Samus in his hand in a cutscene, then in actual gameplay barely be able to fit just her head in his hand...because that's what happened.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Because Smash Bros. has a canon storyline.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
We can't have King K. Rool AND Ridley. Too many long teethed reptiles. :troll:
We can't have pac-man and wario, too many chompers. :troll:

Because Smash Bros. has a canon storyline.
Hey, I don't need your sass bro XD
But seriously, its not like super smash bros is going to make such a blatant change in height when it was actually significant in a past game.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ridley isn't even size-consistent with himself in Brawl. He gets bigger in the second fight and in between cutscenes. Surely it wouldn't explode your poor brain for him to get smaller.

It wouldn't contradict ****. It would just give tons of people a character they've been begging for with absolutely no detriment to anything else. People just like to ***** and moan about Ridley's size (again, a nonissue) because they want something to disagree with someone about. Look at the Pokemon's sizes. Pikachu shouldn't even go up to Charizard's stomach, but he's around half his size. Ruined forever? I think not.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
We can't have pac-man and wario, too many chompers. :troll:

Hey, I don't need your sass bro XD
But seriously, its not like super smash bros is going to make such a blatant change in height when it was actually significant in a past game.
We're not gonna have Pac-Man in the first place. :troll:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Ridley isn't even size-consistent with himself in Brawl. He gets bigger in the second fight and in between cutscenes. Surely it wouldn't explode your poor brain for him to get smaller.

It wouldn't contradict ****. It would just give tons of people a character they've been begging for with absolutely no detriment to anything else. People just like to ***** and moan about Ridley's size (again, a nonissue) because they want something to disagree with someone about. Look at the Pokemon's sizes. Pikachu shouldn't even go up to Charizard's stomach, but he's around half his size. Ruined forever? I think not.
God, way to go the extra mile to insult me for having an opinion on size, I didn't deserve all of that. I never said ruined forever, I meant it might be awkward. Your taking this too seriously.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Btw, I actually don't think it would even make a lot of sense for Doc Louis not to support Little Mac in the background. The only time he's not there with him is when he was an Assist Trophy and obviously wasn't necessary to have.

So if Little Mac does get in, he's gotta have Doc Louis with him.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'll make another one since I already know that you won't like the ones in the pac-man forum. too many punches, and pac-man world references, right? :smirk:
It's just all the ones suggested are generic or pathetic. I mean shooting pellets and rolling? Really? People say he's got Pac-Man World ****, but I don't even know what that stuff is or if it's good. Nobody ever suggests anything specific from it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
As long as Ridley isn't playable, some people will argue that his size is the issue. Even if its a non-issue. I want to plays Ridley more than any other Nintendo newcomer. The only one I wanted more is Mega Man. I can't say that he's 100% likely. But I feel that Ridley will always have a shot in Smash. And that his chances are pretty good this time around, just that he isn't a guarantee.

But despite that being the case, I recognize he would have issues getting into Smash. I posted my reasoning for Ridley possibly not getting the previous games in the support thread. I could paste it over here.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Surely it wouldn't explode your poor brain for him to get smaller.
I dunno, maybe i'm too sensitive to indirect insults but it sure seemed like an insult.

People just like to ***** and moan about Ridley's size (again, a nonissue) because they want something to disagree with someone about.
I know you are implying that im one of them and I am not, I'm just stating how awkward the change in size might feel since it already seemed locked since the last smash game.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
All I see people do is list abilities Pac-Man can do in the the Pac-Man World trilogy.
The only one I've seen is the one where he eats people like Wario, shoot pellets like Mega Man (I'll assume that one was phoned in), and does a short roll like a poor man's version of Sonic.

Again, these seem phoned in assuming this isn't actually from Pac-Man World. I've never played it. The only interesting one was the pellet chain as an upward B and the Power Pellet for Final Smash.

Seriously, though. What does he do in Pac-Man World.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
The only one I've seen is the one where he eats people like Wario, shoot pellets like Mega Man (I'll assume that one was phoned in), and does a short roll like a poor man's version of Sonic.

Again, these seem phoned in assuming this isn't actually from Pac-Man World. I've never played it. The only interesting one was the pellet chain as an upward B and the Power Pellet for Final Smash.

Seriously, though. What does he do in Pac-Man World.
it's a bit hard to explain the specifics so u might wanna check a pacman world 2 video or two.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I dunno, maybe i'm too sensitive to indirect insults but it sure seemed like an insult.
I certainly didn't intend it as one. Sorry you took it that way, I might've picked my words a little more carefully.

As for the second point, us Ridley fans have been fighting this size **** since that Nintendo Power interview. It's tough stuff. I didn't mean to take it out on you.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I know you are implying that I'm one of them and I am not, I'm just stating how awkward the change in size might feel since it already seemed locked since the last smash game.
I have to agree it'd be very akward. No character size change has been as drastic as Ridley, unless it's in the background which isn't as big of a deal.

(And I don't count Olimar because he's small from a theoretical point of view)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's just all the ones suggested are generic or pathetic. I mean shooting pellets and rolling? Really? People say he's got Pac-Man World ****, but I don't even know what that stuff is or if it's good. Nobody ever suggests anything specific from it.
I can't stand the thought of him in this game anyway. Not in place of Snake. It's such an uncreative choice for a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom