• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am beginning to see why Sakurai added Rosalina over other Mario characters...

Daisy is female... so is Rosalina...
Waluigi is tall... so is Rosalina...
Toad is relevant... so is Rosalina...
Geno uses star powers... so does Rosalina...
Paper Mario is unique... so is Rosalina...
Bowser Jr. could use paint to trap enemies... so Rosalina can use Lumas to trap enemies, too...
King Boo can float... so does Rosalina...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Metroid needs Ridley not because it has a ton of characters, but because we have Bowser, Ganondorf, King DeDeDe, and Mewtwo, and Ridley is right up there with them. Besides that, Metroid's had one rep since the beginning of the series, and is actually pretty popular and a major franchise.
We should get Ridley because he's a big scary space dragon and everyone wants to rip apart faces.

That's my reasoning.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If Sakurai wants to add Palutena and give Kid Icarus a new character, whether or not it needs one will hardly concern him.
In that regard I agree. But it likely means that Palutena is going to be outprioritized by franchises who needs it more, like Animal Crossing, Punch Out, Donkey Kong and Metroid.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That's taking the word incredibly literal right there. I'm fairly certain you know what people mean when they say the word in that context.
By saying we need another Donkey Kong character people are saying it's underepresented. I fail to see why when we have Donkey and Diddy. The only most recurring duo in the entire series.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't met ANYONE here who has a good opinion on what franchises do and don't need more or less characters.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Spoiler tagging my response to Saturn so I don't cover the page in our conversation.
Lol no. If I had to pick who is most unique it'd be Lip.
Since when would being able to go underground not be considered unique? I'll pass you a couple of ideas I had that could really make a different character from the rest of the cast if you'll let me give it to you.
I don't see why a very obscure handheld character should be our retro. Especially when he doesn't appear to be very appealing. It's just so random.
Well to be fair, I don't see why such an obscure japanese only Retro character that just happens to be the sister title of LoZ should be our retro either. I actually really like the very obscure handheld character that just so happens to be Miyamoto's only creation to not be represented in Smash Brothers (which makes no sense really considering that it's not a bad game or anything like that). I'm not seeing the appeal in him, so I suppose it's subject to personal opinion.
Well as long as I have Wii Fit Trainer, Mii, Villager, and two IPs that are pretty close to being relevant I don't see a huge problem. Brawl only had 4.
I normally don't count third-parties when considering that kind of stuff, but fine. Your roster your decision.
And that his identical dad was the first international protagonist. Lyn wasn't in Brawl and she was almost as popular as Ike.
So then why are people not requesting Eliwood then? Why Roy instead? Isn't Eliwood tons more
That's mostly why, but not only why. That's simply not a true statement.
Well I'd love to be proved otherwise, but Roy only seems to be wanted requested of Melee; unlike his other cut counterpart Mewtwo that has much more reasons to return other than being a cut Smash Brothers veteran, you know?
So I do believe there is some truth in my statement.

---
Who's your favorite FE female?
Waluigi-a.
---
@ AEMehr AEMehr : You know according to the gamecube library, Lip isn't really retro. :p
Also yes! I do know that, but people refer to her as such anyways.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I am beginning to see why Sakurai added Rosalina over other Mario characters...

Daisy is female... so is Rosalina...
Waluigi is tall... so is Rosalina...
Toad is relevant... so is Rosalina...
Geno uses star powers... so does Rosalina...
Paper Mario is unique... so is Rosalina...
Bowser Jr. could use paint to trap enemies... so Rosalina can use Lumas to trap enemies, too...
King Boo can float... so does Rosalina...
Kirby can use the lightning fast sword and hammer, so we don't need Metaknight and King Dedede. :awesome:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Which is way more than Mewtwo did.
Mewtwo has been advertised to hell and back recently, was THE Mega Evolution, the posterboy for the entire mechanic, is a massively popular Pokemon in both America and Japan, and has three movies.

While he didn't do much within the game itself, that hardly matters when compared to the rest of the **** he did for the game and the franchise as a whole outside of it. That, and he not only represents Gen I, but also Gen VI, which is a double whammy for nostalgia and advertising the new Gen all in one.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
By saying we need another Donkey Kong character people are saying it's underepresented. I fail to see why when we have Donkey and Diddy. The only most recurring duo in the entire series.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't met ANYONE here who has a good opinion on what franchises do and don't need more or less characters.
A good opinion? I guess a good opinion is an opinion you agree with?

And obviously being a reoccuring character doesn't necessarily mean much as we've seen with Rosalina.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
@ AEMehr AEMehr

Since when would being able to go underground not be considered unique? I'll pass you a couple of ideas I had that could really make a different character from the rest of the cast if you'll let me give it to you.
Being unique isn't always a good thing. Also a character who's move set mostly relies on the ground is going to face serious problems.

Well to be fair, I don't see why such an obscure japanese only Retro character that just happens to be the sister title of LoZ should be our retro either. I actually really like the very obscure handheld character that just so happens to be Miyamoto's only creation to not be represented in Smash Brothers (which makes no sense really considering that it's not a bad game or anything like that). I'm not seeing the appeal in him, so I suppose it's subject to personal opinion.
So you're saying we need to have Sheriff? :troll:

So then why are people not requesting Eliwood then? Why Roy instead? Isn't Eliwood tons more
Eliwood INCREASED Roy's popularity. I didn't say it defined it.

Well I'd love to be proved otherwise, but Roy only seems to be wanted requested of Melee
So it's not because he's cool or because we want to play as him?

unlike his other cut counterpart Mewtwo that has much more reasons to return other than being a cut Smash Brothers veteran, you know?
Wait, are we talking about merits or requests? Also Roy does have merits outside Melee.

But, I guess I understand if you don't feel the same way.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Which is way more than Mewtwo did.

Lucario played a part in the story, was apparently the first Pokemon to have Mega evolved, was given to you for free along with a Mega Stone and had a huge statue in the Tower of Mastery. Mewtwo? He was hanging out in a cave after you beat the game, having no involvement in the story whatsoever.
That's Mewtwo's stapled role in the franchise that they tried to replicate from the first game, of course he's not going to have any main over-arching story importance. Besides, even after being a tutorial character (That could have easily been overlooked), Mewtwo is still undeniably more important to the franchise.

A good opinion? I guess a good opinion is an opinion you agree with?
But of course that's what it means, when's the last time you saw him say thank you to someone who said they didn't like a certain character on his roster. Not to mention that had to be the most condescending, narcissistic comment I've seen on this thread.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Good opinions are opinions supported by logical and cohesive rationale.
What is logical to some might not be to others, we're all different that way, thus that's also subjective. An opinion is entirely subjective (obviously), if I'm of the opinion that K. Rool is hot as **** no one can go over and tell me that it's a wrong opinion, it's my opinion that K. Rool is a sexy beast, it's not more right unless someone can oppose it with dead-on facts, aka objective material.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

While King K. Rool is the most recurring villain in the series. He is also one of the most requested characters worldwide. Even if he hasn't shown up in the latest two games. Relevance isn't the biggest factor in Smash 4, rather it's who can be unique. And K. Rool has so much to pull from in his boss fights.

Morbi

Scavenger
What is logical to some might not be to others, we're all different that way, thus that's also subjective. An opinion is entirely subjective (obviously), if I'm of the opinion that K. Rool is hot as **** no one can go over and tell me that it's a wrong opinion, it's my opinion that K. Rool is a sexy beast, it's not more right just because someone is opposing it with dead-on facts, aka objective material.
I didn't say that it wasn't subjective.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Hey, at least you can't say that Ridley doesn't appeal to a broad demographic. Throughout the series, Ridley has been (although not all at once) a-

Space Pirate Robot Cyborg Zombie Mutant Viral Clone Hyperintelligent PURPLE Dragon. Ridley's all about broadening the demographic.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Does anyone think K. Rool and the Kremlings will at least get a cameo? Maybe an expansion pack ala New Super Luigi U could happen and feature the Kremling Krew as the main baddies?

EDIT: Cameo in Tropical Freeze

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
While King K. Rool is the most recurring villain in the series. He is also one of the most requested characters worldwide. Even if he hasn't shown up in the latest two games. Relevance isn't the biggest factor in Smash 4, rather it's who can be unique. And K. Rool has so much to pull from in his boss fights.
I didn't say there weren't any characters that deserved a spot. I said Donkey Kong doesn't need another after Donkey and Diddy.

We don't NEED King K. Rool.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hey, at least you can't say that Ridley doesn't appeal to a broad demographic. Throughout the series, Ridley has been (although not all at once) a-

Space Pirate Robot Cyborg Zombie Mutant Viral Clone Hyperintelligent Dragon. Ridley's all about broadening the demographic.
Don't forget purple. It's everyone's favorite part.

Morbi

Scavenger
Kind of sounded like you tried to objectifiy (is that a word?) it. My bad if I misread it. Even then I think I get my point across in regards to Noah's post.
Yes, Saturn is quite pretentious. That wasn't necessarily the point, the notion I was attempting to make apparent was that there are indeed "good opinions".

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
EDIT: Damn, I misread that as "more unique than Rosalina." In terms of being more important, he's a two game main villain, a highly recurring boss, and is playable in a not-insignificant number of sports titles. Whether Rosalina being a one game NPC, one game cameo, playable in one Kart game and in one main series game overrides that is up for debate.
Yeah they're pretty equal. Some nitpicks, Rosalina been in 3 Mario Karts which is the same amount King Boo has been in.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Space Pirate Robot Cyborg Zombie Mutant Viral Clone Hyperintelligent Dragon. Ridley's all about broadening the demographic.
Just one problem with that...Ridley' isn't a dragon...he's an alien. Hell, we don't even know what kind of species he's supposed to be.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Just one problem with that...Ridley' isn't a dragon...he's an alien. Hell, we don't even know what kind of species he's supposed to be.
Dragon is a pretty subjective term. Based on the generally-accepted definition of a dragon, Ridley is one. Just an alien one.

As far as his species, I've seen theories ranging from a genetically-engineered space pirate to simply the last stage in the space pirate life cycle. I'm personally a fan of the former. It would make sense that, following the Space Pirate way of life, they would make their leaders as fearsome and awe-inspiring as possible.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck.....it's probably a duck. Besides, Ridley can be an Alien Dragon. Which makes him all the more awesome.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
We don't NEED Smash Bros. either. These posts are idiotic.
Took the words out of my mouth.

If it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck.....it's probably a duck. Besides, Ridley can be an Alien Dragon. Which makes him all the more awesome.
Dragon is a pretty subjective term. Based on the generally-accepted definition of a dragon, Ridley is one. Just an alien one.

As far as his species, I've seen theories ranging from a genetically-engineered space pirate to simply the last stage in the space pirate life cycle. I'm personally a fan of the former. It would make sense that, following the Space Pirate way of life, they would make their leaders as fearsome and awe-inspiring as possible.
Ridley is a dragon. He is an alien dragon.
First off, he's shaped like a Humanoid Pterosaur, he's basically the offspring if a Xenomorph mated with a Pterodactyl. Secondly, it's never really explained, so anything's possible. But someone had to design them, and it certainly wasn't Mother Brain who designed Ridley.

.......I think I found a plot for the next Metroid game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom