• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Did Rosalina truly merit an inclusion as the fifth?
THANK you. Interesting as she is, I really don't think she's deserving of this pedestal she's been put up on lately. She's in EVERYTHING Mario nowadays. Yeah, she was cool. I liked her. But there are a hundred other characters I'd rather have before her.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Quite honestly, next game, the roster is going to need to start cycling characters in and out if we're going to get more than just a few newcomers. If Rosalina happens to be one of those cycled characters, King Boo could certainly be a worthy replacement as a Mario newcomer. He's as unique as she is, if not moreso, arguably more important (at least currently), and if people want Bowser Jr. in as a "second Mario villain," sticking in King Boo, who couldn't possibly become a semi-clone, couldn't hurt (though I do like Jr. too).

Also, don't take this for King Boo propaganda**** on my end; the moment the conversation shifts from King Boo to someone or something else, I won't be bending over backwards to bring attention back to him (and, by proxy, to myself, which I think is a factor in why there's so much character-specific propaganda to begin with).

EDIT: What do I think of Captain Syrup? She's a pretty fitting rival for Wario, considering her treasure-hunting nature, and pirates are always welcome in my book. I don't know that I'd support her for Smash, considering I'd rather Wario Land receive representation in Wario's moveset, in stages, and in music rather than in a whole new character (and I'm not yet sold on her potential), but in her series, she should certainly appear more often.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Luigi picked a fight with Waluigi? Must be a slow day in the Mushroom Kingdom. :troll:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Which one is most likely?
Takamaru, sadly (to me anyways).
Which one has the most potential to be unique?
Muddy Mole by a long shot.
Who would you like to see the most?
Mach Rider, truth be told. I'd love to see what things Sakurai would do to his design and overall playstyle to make him really different and cool.
Which one is most deserving?
I find them all equal in this category. I don't see any of them as deserving. Takamaru may be in a good position, but that doesn't make him deserving.
---
We need an Excitebike character that can jump around... Frog confirmed! :troll:

I don't know why, but it said you quoted me here.
So I am officially legendofrob2 according to Smashboards. HEARD IT HEAR FIRST!
---
No offense. But, absolutely not.
Any reason why? I'm genuinely interested.
Little Mac isn't relevant :p
Which is exactly why I said you need relevant ip characters!!
Well, it is a reason for him to return. It's just not that significant because Marth has so many other reasons to return that are much more important.
I find it more of a reason to justify why he's somewhat important to the Fire Emblem franchise overall, but in the end it's just because of the fact that he was in Melee that makes him notable. Which is the main reason why I don't see him as being "deserving" of being in Smash to represent Fire Emblem since the only reason people want him and really care for him is because of Melee.
I don't think any Awakening characters fit the criteria and the only one that really does (Robin) is not very important at all. And if Rosalina got in, it wouldn't surprise me if we got Lyndis. She's really the only popular character with real diversity.
Robin is literally the center of attention in Awakening. He/She is the reason the plot of Awakening exists. But I GUESS Lyn is still kinda okay.
I'm not expecting her anytime soon regardless.
---
You heavily over-estimate Palutena's chances, that's really demeaning as King Boo's chances of being playable are not indefinitely impossible, and Isabelle being in Villager's poster just means she's in the poster...nothing more...yeah. I sincerely don't see the point of this comment, I mean, a simple "WHERE'S PALE TUNA?!" would've sufficed, as it would have given the same message. Not to mention we already discussed Isabelle. Haven't you read the thread in the past three days? We discussed the poster and everything.
You heavily over-estimate the possibility of another Mario character being added to the game. Sure he's unique, but he's still going to share the Mushroom Kingdom Icon and the five Mario characters was pushing it already. Not to mention that King Boo isn't a requested character either, he's cool but he's not gonna happen. No matter how interesting of a moveset you make him.

Palutena's chances may be generally seen as overrated, but I never said that she was inevitable. Don't make it sound like I did say that, because I didn't. But Palutena certainly makes more sense logically and is still a potential unique character that people do want with a great chance. I was just confused because you normally support Palutena so I was hoping for a response as to why you removed her in favor of King Boo and Isabelle. I had no intentions of being hostile or to seem that I "heavily over-estimate Palutena's chances".

And no, I missed that conversation in the past 40 pages or so because I didn't have the time to read every single one of them, but I'd like it if you tell me why promotional content for Smash For can't be enough to suggest that Isabelle won't be playable. I mean if she was going to be playable, I'd imagine Sakurai to request that she not be placed in the artwork. There's also the reveal trailer with her in it too.
If she was going to be playable, we logically wouldn't seen her yet. But we have, twice in different promotional material.

My apologies if you assumed my comments regarding your roster seemed not helpful, so I hope my this gets my points through and seems more insightful instead of pointless.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Am I making propaganda? Well, unlike you, I'm not trying to shove my choices down everyone's throats (Starfy, Sheriff, Diskun, etc.) and giving an interesting topic to talk about aside from the same-old same-old, as well as acknowledging the fact that some people won't like the decision and accept it without making a temper tantrum and then storming off for a few hours before coming back and replying to said few hour old comment to drag things on even longer. In short no, I'm not.

Accepted! Alright, up to three friends on the Wii U now. XD

Anyone think Nintendo is going to make a Wii U or 3DS Smash bundle...or both?
They probably won't, but it would be a really good business decision if they did. Throw in a digital copy of Super Smash Bros Melee as a bonus and that thing will sell like hotcakes.

And no, I missed that conversation in the past 40 pages or so because I didn't have the time to read every single one of them, but I'd like it if you tell me why promotional content for Smash For can't be enough to suggest that Isabelle won't be playable. I mean if she was going to be playable, I'd imagine Sakurai to request that she not be placed in the artwork. There's also the reveal trailer with her in it too.
If she was going to be playable, we logically wouldn't seen her yet. But we have, twice in different promotional material.
I haven't supported Palutena in a while, as I've come to grips with the fact that Kid Icarus doesn't need another character. And why was she put in the artwork? Simple, because she's basically the most popular character in the series as of now and is very well known, , so they said whatever and threw her in as a nice little bonus.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Start cycling characters in and out in the next game? Why not now in SSB4? We already started this way back with Brawl... let's cycle out Sheik and bring in Impa.... cycle out Ike and bring in Chrom for SSB4... then cycle out Chrom for someone else new in SSB5... :awesome:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Am I making propaganda? Well, unlike you, I'm not trying to shove my choices down everyone's throats (Starfy, Sheriff, Diskun, etc.) and giving an interesting topic to talk about aside from the same-old same-old, as well as acknowledging the fact that some people won't like the decision and accept it without making a temper tantrum and then storming off for a few hours before coming back and replying to said few hour old comment to drag things on even longer. In short no, I'm not.
Good, because I think people trying too hard are worse then people not trying at all. When people try too hard, it becomes repetitive and annoying.

Morbi

Scavenger

They probably won't, but it would be a really good business decision if they did. Throw in a digital copy of Super Smash Bros Melee as a bonus and that thing will sell like hotcakes.
You don't think they would bundle their console-seller with the console? Really?

Luigi picked a fight with Waluigi? Must be a slow day in the Mushroom Kingdom. :troll:
Waluigi has the height advantage, my money is on him.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Yeah. I don't get the point of adding costumes for the Pokemon Trainer. Since Red is in the background. It's not like the actual Pokemon games, where the Trainer has an impact on the game.
Not really, the impact is minimum where the only difference is in who you fight as a rival (even though in some games the rival is a completely different character).

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Anybody else think there should be only one "Nintendo Legacy" character slot? Like, G&W cycles out for R.O.B. in Brawl, then R.O.B. cycles out for some other old thing nobody cares about anymore?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Start cycling characters in and out in the next game? Why not now in SSB4? We already started this way back with Brawl... let's cycle out Sheik and bring in Impa.... cycle out Ike and bring in Chrom for SSB4... then cycle out Chrom for someone else new in SSB5... :awesome:
Swapping out Ike is a terrible idea and replacing Sheik never really made any sense to me.

Whilst you're at it, why not swap out Jigglypuff ?-__-

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Then let's cycle out Mario and bring in the long-awaited Stanley the Bugman.

I mean, he's got overalls so he'd be a perfect replacement.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
hey lasifer and hotfeet, I just sent you guys a friend request! also lasifer, I think you may be my long lost twin or something we seem to share the exact same opinions lol

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
You don't think they would bundle their console-seller with the console? Really?
Why not? Wanna sell a console, put it with the console seller. Or at least create a limited edition Smash Bros Wii U or something like that.

Good, because I think people trying too hard are worse then people not trying at all. When people try too hard, it becomes repetitive and annoying.
The funny thing is, overall, I only said about two things about King Boo today, and that's that he's incredibly unique and could be a spin-off character in the same vein as Yoshi and Wario. Everyone took it from there and said their own stuff. Is it possible to have someone else create propaganda for you without having any serious inclusion in said subject? I mean, I've broken people at least twice in the past week with my rosters. :p

I stopped giving a **** about any of you people in like August. So I can vouch for this sentiment.
I STILL CARE ABOUT YOU! :c HOW COULD YOU BETRAY ME?!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Not really, the impact is minimum where the only difference is in who you fight as a rival (even though in some games the rival is a completely different character).
What I should have said, is that you are actually using the trainer, much like you would use Link or Mario. Thus they impact in what they look like, and why having an alternate costume would be cool since you are using that character. But in Smash, you are using the Pokemon for absolutely everything. So I would rather have the Pokemon get costumes rather than Red. But I'm not entirely against the idea of Red getting an alt.

Sorry if my explanation is weird.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I haven't supported Palutena in a while, as I've come to grips with the fact that Kid Icarus doesn't need another character.
Well Kid Icarus may not need another character, but neither did Mario right?
And why was she put in the artwork? Simple, because she's basically the most popular character in the series as of now and is very well known, , so they said whatever and threw her in as a nice little bonus.
The artwork and trailer would have been no different with or without her, she has no place being there. So if she was planned to be a playable character, she would have not needed to be in any of the promotional content until she got a reveal trailer.

That logic works soundly when she's nothing more than a background character or assist trophy, not when she's a playable character.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Muddy Mole by a long shot.
Lol no. If I had to pick who is most unique it'd be Lip.

Any reason why? I'm genuinely interested.
I don't see why a very obscure handheld character should be our retro. Especially when he doesn't appear to be very appealing. It's just so random.

Which is exactly why I said you need relevant ip characters!!
Well as long as I have Wii Fit Trainer, Mii, Villager, and two IPs that are pretty close to being relevant I don't see a huge problem. Brawl only had 4.

I find it more of a reason to justify why he's somewhat important to the Fire Emblem franchise overall, but in the end it's just because of the fact that he was in Melee that makes him notable.
And that his identical dad was the first international protagonist. Lyn wasn't in Brawl and she was almost as popular as Ike.

Which is the main reason why I don't see him as being "deserving" of being in Smash to represent Fire Emblem since the only reason people want him and really care for him is because of Melee.
That's mostly why, but not only why. That's simply not a true statement.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
BKupa666 brought up an interesting point-of-discussion: the potentiality of recycling characters in future iterations of Super Smash Brothers, as a means for bringing in more newcomers when the roster capacity reaches its limits. For example, Mega-Man being replaced for other third-party legends in Bomberman, Simon Belmont, etc. (my example, not BKupa666's).

What does everyone think about roster placement rotation?

EDIT: I'm not advocating the idea myself, but rather bringing it up as a means of discussion.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Even though I enjoy playing as Jigglypuff in Melee and Brawl, I just want to play as new Pokemon...the Pokemon series has over 700 Pokemon already and it is currently in the 6th gen... and we are still stuck with the 1st gen Pokemon as playable characters?

I can excuse Pikachu as it is the mascot of the franchise... but Jigglypuff doesn't have any importance to the series... it is just there... at least the Pokemon Trainer is the protagonist... and Mewtwo/Lucario are/were promoted by the Pokemon Company and had movies... but Jigglypuff is just there... gimme another unique Pokemon characters to play with... this ain't Melee/Brawl... this is SSB4, let's get on with the times! Gimme 5th gen and 6th gen Pokemon to play with.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Kid Icarus doesn't need another character? Neither does Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, or Metroid.

Why does this matter again?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
As long as the characters getting cycled out aren't too important, I'm completely fine.

I missed Mewtwo in Brawl, but I understand why he wasn't in it and accept it. However, just like Mewtwo, Lucario's time is over and it's time to put Mewtwo back in his spot. The same with Roy to Ike, then Ike to Chrom (or hopefully, Robin), with Marth being the series' "rock" as it were. Some characters are only relevant for as long as they're relevant because they're not the be-all, end-all of the series. Samus and Ridley are both extremely important characters. Assuming Sakurai wises up and puts Ridley in, I would never expect Ridley to cycle out. Villager is the same way, as are all other "main" characters.

Rosalina I could see very well cycling out after this Rosalina fad is over. She's just not that important and the Mario series would, more or less, be the same without her. Wolf could cycle out for another Star Fox character because he isn't really a huge character within the series. He's big, yeah, but so are other characters.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
BKupa666 brought up an interesting point-of-discussion: the potentiality of recycling characters in future iterations of Super Smash Brothers, as a means for bringing in more newcomers when the roster capacity reaches its limits. For example, Mega-Man being replaced for other third-party legends in Bomberman, Simon Belmont, etc. (my example, not BKupa666's).

What does everyone think about roster placement rotation?

EDIT: I'm not advocating the idea myself, but rather bringing it up as a means of discussion.
Awful idea. Even more so with third party characters. They sell the game for some people.

Kid Icarus doesn't need another character? Neither does Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, or Metroid.

Why does this matter again?
Metroid and Donkey Kong do. Like, a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom