• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, it's quite obvious that people aren't going to jump up and down at the prospect of characters getting cut out for newcomers. And I definitely don't think that has to happen with this game. However, with the next Smash, we'll be looking at a character roster in the mid 40s, which, given how Sakurai refuses to focus on the characters themselves and instead chooses to throw away development time on "game-changers" like the SSE and 3DS-to-Wii U character buffing, is not sustainable. One possible solution to this is to trim off a few of the "more minor" (Sakurai's words) characters in lieu of a reasonable cast of newcomers.

See, this is the part where the people who claim that characters don't matter at all, just give me fun playstyles, get their jimmies a bit rustled.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
He's as unique as she is, if not moreso, arguably more important (at least currently), and if people want Bowser Jr. in as a "second Mario villain," sticking in King Boo, who couldn't possibly become a semi-clone, couldn't hurt (though I do like Jr. too).
I would like to see the argument on why King Boo is more Important than Rosalina.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
BKupa666 brought up an interesting point-of-discussion: the potentiality of recycling characters in future iterations of Super Smash Brothers, as a means for bringing in more newcomers when the roster capacity reaches its limits. For example, Mega-Man being replaced for other third-party legends in Bomberman, Simon Belmont, etc. (my example, not BKupa666's).

What does everyone think about roster placement rotation?

EDIT: I'm not advocating the idea myself, but rather bringing it up as a means of discussion.
Honestly? I love it. Do it with the Pokemon. We have 700+ potential fighters from that series alone. Obviously Pikachu would have to stay(not sure if anyone else). I can imagine those whose mains got cycled out would be very upset though.

Who would you guys have as constants(as there would have to be some)?

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
As long as the characters getting cycled out aren't too important, I'm completely fine.

I missed Mewtwo in Brawl, but I understand why he wasn't in it and accept it. However, just like Mewtwo, Lucario's time is over and it's time to put Mewtwo back in his spot. The same with Roy to Ike, then Ike to Chrom (or hopefully, Robin). Some characters are only relevant for as long as they're relevant because they're not the be-all, end-all of the series. Samus and Ridley are both extremely important characters. Assuming Sakurai wises up and puts Ridley in, I would never expect Ridley to cycle out. Villager is the same way, as are all other "main" characters.

Rosalina I could see very well cycling out after this Rosalina fad is over. She's just not that important and the Mario series would, more or less, be the same without her.
Lucario's time is over? Have you played X/Y?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'd support cutting "more minor" characters if there was a more argeeable definition on what "more minor" means.

Like if Mewtwo was considered minor, then I can't support the idea. But if it's dudes like Lucario and Lucas, I can.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I would like to see the argument on why King Boo is more Important than Rosalina.
Er...there never was any argument as to why King Boo is more important than Rosalina. :p

Who's your favorite FE female?
Tiki easily.

...it's not like my life revolves around Palutena and Smash? Really it's revolved around eating and self-loathing.
Hey, I was just trying to help. I know how you feel, as I suffer from severe clinical depression myself.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly? I love it. Do it with the Pokemon. We have 700+ potential fighters from that series alone. Obviously Pikachu would have to stay(not sure if anyone else). I can imagine those whose mains got cycled out would be very upset though.

Who would you guys have as constants(as there would have to be some)?
Dr. Mario is the only necessary character. He needs to be in every Smash, they can get rid of Mario for all anyone cares.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Well, it's quite obvious that people aren't going to jump up and down at the prospect of characters getting cut out for newcomers. And I definitely don't think that has to happen with this game. However, with the next Smash, we'll be looking at a character roster in the mid 40s, which, given how Sakurai refuses to focus on the characters themselves and instead chooses to throw away development time on "game-changers" like the SSE and 3DS-to-Wii U character buffing, is not sustainable. One possible solution to this is to trim off a few of the "more minor" (Sakurai's words) characters in lieu of a reasonable cast of newcomers.

See, this is the part where the people who claim that characters don't matter at all, just give me fun playstyles, get their jimmies a bit rustled.
This is why clones are a good thing.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Lucario's time is over? Have you played X/Y?
Yeah. Lucario can be playable along with that Lapras that other guy gives you. -eyeroll- He serves no purpose beyond a Mega Evo tutorial.

He's Luigi's Bowser. Rosalina's a side-character with a major role in one game and minor roles in a few others.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Why? We have Donkey and Diddy. We don't NEED anyone else.
I would say at the very least their main villain should be added. K. Rool's both popular and important enough to be considered "needed". Maybe even the third protagonist too. But Dixie is on a lower level than K. Rool.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What in the holy name of all good things am I reading here?
You people see why "need" is a terrible defense, now? It's complete opinion. That and Sakurai isn't going to give a **** what franchise needs what if he wants it to have more.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd support cutting "more minor" characters if there was a more argeeable definition on what "more minor" means.

Like if Mewtwo was considered minor, then I can't support the idea. But if it's dudes like Lucario and Lucas, I can.
Can't agree with you about Lucas... he is the protagonist of Mother 3 even though he is a minor. :troll:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Physical stature, first and foremost. He floats off the ground, thus allowing him to dodge low-hitting attacks entirely, but at the same time, he's essentially a tall character who can't duck the stronger KO attacks, which, given his floaty nature, can also serve as a disadvantage.

In terms of moves, he could theoretically copy Rosalina's puppetmaster gimmick in its entirety by summoning Boos to attack alongside him. He can vanish and reappear, or flicker in and out of visibility, to mindgame opponents. He can make stage-bending shockwaves of dust, or produce sonic screeches to paralyze opponents with fear. He can "huff and puff and blow you away," as he does during the first Luigi's Mansion. He has tongue attacks from Mario Sunshine (though some people consider that to be a different King Boo). He can produce ghostly mist to obscure the stage. He can possess opponents. And his Final Smash is his Bowser suit, which may or may not be the corpse of real Bowser.

This is just from the first Luigi's Mansion, so he may do more interesting stuff in Dark Moon as well.

EDIT: Damn, I misread that as "more unique than Rosalina." In terms of being more important, he's a two game main villain, a highly recurring boss, and is playable in a not-insignificant number of sports titles. Whether Rosalina being a one game NPC, one game cameo, playable in one Kart game and in one main series game overrides that is up for debate.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
They're pretty lazy.
But they only tend to be in due to time constraints and Sakurai wanting to beef up the roster with relatively easier additions (or something like that), not because of a lack of creativity, so I don't see how they can be accused of being lazy additions.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I try to keep a positive attitude about it: it's just a label. Everyone is ****ed up in the head. The mind is way too complex to be fully comprehended.
Tell me about it.

What in the holy name of all good things am I reading here?
A quote from someone who most likely played neither highlighted franchises.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Metroid sure does have a plethora of unique, iconic, and relevant characters that are popular. Metroid NEEDS another representative, but which one to choose, there are oh so many.
Ridley, Meta Ridley, Omega Ridely, Neo-Ridley, and Robot Ridley.

Oh, and Samus in her bikini.

Morbi

Scavenger
You people see why "need" is a terrible defense, now? It's complete opinion. That and Sakurai isn't going to give a **** what franchise needs what if he wants it to have more.
Precisely, why did he almost add Toon Zelda? It wasn't because Zelda didn't NEED another representative(s), it is because he wanted to add her. He doesn't give a ****.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The last sentence doesn't really make much sense as I read it, I'm not sure what you're trying to get across.

Opinion, sure. I guess we can consider Donkey Kong on scale with Mother, and Metroid is a retro franchise too.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Metroid sure does have a plethora of unique, iconic, and relevant characters that are popular. Metroid NEEDS another representative, but which one to choose, there are oh so many.
Metroid needs Ridley not because it has a ton of characters, but because we have Bowser, Ganondorf, King DeDeDe, and Mewtwo, and Ridley is right up there with them. Besides that, Metroid's had one rep since the beginning of the series, and is actually pretty popular and a major franchise. Hell, MOTHER has more characters than Metroid, and it has three games and is DEAD.

I've said it before and I'll say it now, we should've gotten Ridley (and King DeDeDe, for that matter) as far back as Melee.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If we have Donkey & Diddy. We don't NEED another. We don't have to HAVE another character.
That's taking the word incredibly literal right there. I'm fairly certain you know what people mean when they say the word in that context.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Can't agree with you about Lucas... he is the protagonist of Mother 3 even though he is a minor. :troll:
I like Mother 3, but I think that in the grand scheme of things, he's really just not that big of a deal.

Isn't he like 12 or something? :p

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The last sentence doesn't really make much sense as I read it, I'm not sure what you're trying to get across.
If Sakurai wants to add Palutena and give Kid Icarus a new character, whether or not it needs one will hardly concern him.

Morbi

Scavenger

Opinion, sure. I guess we can consider Donkey Kong on scale with Mother, and Metroid is a retro franchise too.
Need isn't a part of the equation, Sakurai will do what he pleases. Did we NEED another Mother rep? Not really. Did we get one? Obviously. Why? Because he wanted to add another Mother rep. Subjective notions of what fans feel conceive an ideal roster are irrelevant as Sakurai's opinion is the only one that matters.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Yeah. Lucario can be playable along with that Lapras that other guy gives you. -eyeroll- He serves no purpose beyond a Mega Evo tutorial.
Which is way more than Mewtwo did.

Lucario played a part in the story, was apparently the first Pokemon to have Mega evolved, was given to you for free along with a Mega Stone and had a huge statue in the Tower of Mastery. Mewtwo? He was hanging out in a cave after you beat the game, having no involvement in the story whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom