• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Someone just said Sakurai doesn't care about how many characters he adds from the Mario series so long as they're unique? Actually, Mario was one of two series Sakurai singled out as not wanting to overrepresent through character inclusions. Which is possibly why it has so many stages, items, trophies, music tracks and stickers instead. Pokemon was the other; again, which is possibly why its sole item is essentially its own category of item, with more focus put into it than any other item.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Can we stop calling Robin "Tactician". I mean Sakurai doesn't call Ness: "Psychic Kid" just because you can choose your own name.
But he calls Red just the Pokemon Trainer. I don't even see that many people call Robin the Tactician. And even if they did, Isaac in another nation is called Robin. Though I think Robin is cooler, just throwing some possible logic into that side of the conversation.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Ahhh, fair enough.

Also, everyone who has a Wii U needs to do an ID exchange so we an play and do online tournaments together and all that smooth jazz.
Mine's Hotfeet444 for anyone that's interested, and I usually put out stuff on Miiverse and on the Tingle Bottle in Wind Waker HD and just plain comment in Super Mario 3D World and other jazz. :p

Morbi

Scavenger
But he calls Red just the Pokemon Trainer. I don't even see that many people call Robin the Tactician. And even if they did, Isaac in another nation is called Robin.
That wasn't his point, his point was that the character has a name for the default appearance. Akin to how Link's name is Link, but you can change it to whatever you want. The character is still Robin even if you change the name. It is just a mechanic to name your save file.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Mine's Hotfeet444 for anyone that's interested, and I usually put out stuff on Miiverse and on the Tingle Bottle in Wind Waker HD and just plain comment in Super Mario 3D World and other jazz. :p
Mine...is the username you're reading right now - Lasifer.

Also, for people who don't have a Wii U, how many people plan on buying one for Smash?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That wasn't his point, his point was that the character has a name for the default appearance. Akin to how Link's name is Link, but you can change it to whatever you want. The character is still Robin even if you change the name. It is just a mechanic to name your save file.
Sakurai really needs to call the Pokemon Trainer "Red" since he is clearly Red with the 3rd gen design... but I am not sure why he is called "Pokemon Trainer" instead of "Red".... at least Villager and Wii Fit Trainer actually had no names at all so Sakurai might as well call them "Villager" and "Wii Fit Trainer".

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Also, I'd love to get some sort of King Boo momentum going so that, by the time next game rolls around, he could have a legitimate shot at playability. If he were a boss in this game, said momentum could certainly be kickstarted.

Or, if King Boo alone isn't enough for the uniqueness blokes out there, how about a KING BOO AND PETEY PIRANHA DUO since that was a thing in one game?

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
The intent isn't relevant. The notion that Waluigi is closely associated as an original character conceived for spin-off games is enough. He doesn't need to be the main character to most accurately represent the game.
Rosalina is enough proof of this. Almost her entire moveset is comprised of moves that only Mario/Luigi displayed during Galaxy 1 and 2. She was certainly not the main character of Galaxy 1 and had quite a brief appearance in the sequel. Still ended up in Smash with a moveset referencing the Galaxy series as a whole. Mario and Luigi could've easily done the same. It's all based on what Sakurai thinks fits, I guess.

josh bones

Smash Lord
I know it's over, but Luigi's mansion is 2 games. He fought Mario as much. (64 ds, sunshine when he did drugs.) Waluigi beat up bowser who is boss of king boo so waluigi>king boo:troll:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Also, I'd love to get some sort of King Boo momentum going so that, by the time next game rolls around, he could have a legitimate shot at playability. If he were a boss in this game, said momentum could certainly be kickstarted.

Or, if King Boo alone isn't enough for the uniqueness blokes out there, how about a KING BOO AND PETEY PIRANHA DUO since that was a thing in one game?
What you just did there, I see it.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Was the example given really "Let's not call the Tactician tactician because Ness isn't called psychic kid". Er...newsflash, he was advertised and shown off as Ness, it's his real name, it was always the character's name. It may have been changeable, but in the end it was still Ness. The same with Link.The Pokemon Trainer wasn't advertised as "Play as Red", it's just who YOU play as, and can go by many names. The Villager wasn't advertised as "Play as Bob", it's who YOU play as and can go by literally any name. The Tactician wasn't advertised as Robin, it was advertised as the avatar character to represent the player, and Robin is just a default name. These three characters are in the same vein as each other as avatar characters and should be called such. Pokemon Trainer is a pokemon trainer, Villager is a villager, Tactician is a tactician, it's that simple. Now can we move on from this utterly stupid subject?

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I know it's over, but Luigi's mansion is 2 games. He fought Mario as much. (64 ds, sunshine when he did drugs.) Waluigi beat up bowser who is boss of king boo so waluigi>king boo:troll:
Not that it really matters, but the "King Boo" in Sunshine is actually a different character. He has a different Japanese name and everything.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Didn't it change to Ash Ketchum recently? :awesome:
Don't you go there. Just don't.

You serious about that? I wouldn't take you for someone that likes King Boo. I think he'd be an okay choice. Just an okay choice.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Also, for people who don't have a Wii U, how many people plan on buying one for Smash?
I already got a Wii U... I definitely will buy both Smash Wii U and Smash 3DS. Who else are getting both?! :awesome:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

I just sent you a friend request.

I already got a Wii U... I definitely will buy both Smash Wii U and Smash 3DS. Who else are getting both?! :awesome:
*Raises hand*

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why would you need a costume for a character in the background? Also that means the Pokemon themselves still wouldn't be the main color.

Also, is Hotfeet making King Boo propaganda?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You serious about that? I wouldn't take you for someone that likes King Boo. I think he'd be an okay choice. Just an okay choice.
I'm a fan of, or at least appreciate most Nintendo villains, so I'd be quite happy with King Boo. He'd be a great choice with the right moveset, full of ghost summoning and general trickery, though if it were limited to just barebones "breathes blue fire, makes a shockwave, etc," it wouldn't have nearly as much appeal. Though that's the case for virtually every character with a lot of moveset potential.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Why would you need a costume for a character in the background? Also that means the Pokemon themselves still wouldn't be the main color.

Well, let's just make Red's Pokemon the default colors... and give Leaf's Pokemon the Shiny recolors as their default colors! :awesome:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
King Boo would be awesome, but I don't see how that's possible with 6 Mario characters. Not that he'd merit an inclusion as the fifth.

He'd be a kick ass boss though and should be.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah. I don't get the point of adding costumes for the Pokemon Trainer. Since Red is in the background. It's not like the actual Pokemon games, where the Trainer has an impact on the game.

I'm a fan of, or at least appreciate most Nintendo villains, so I'd be quite happy with King Boo. He'd be a great choice with the right moveset, full of ghost summoning and general trickery, though if it were limited to just barebones "breathes blue fire, makes a shockwave, etc," it wouldn't have nearly as much appeal. Though that's the case for virtually every character with a lot of moveset potential.
Well I suppose he could work. Still not completely sold. Moveset isn't an issue though, but I would like to see him make more appearances. What do you think of Captain Syrup? She would be an alright choice too.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah. I don't get the point of adding costumes for the Pokemon Trainer. Since Red is in the background. It's not like the actual Pokemon games, where the Trainer has an impact on the game.

Well I suppose he could work. Still not completely sold. Moveset isn't an issue though, but I would like to see him make more appearances. What do you think of Captain Syrup? She would be an alright choice too.
Immersion purposes. I mean that is the point of costumes in the first place, it isn't like they have an impact on the game.

D

Deleted member

Difference being that Wario has two separate series of games that sell well, and was Mario's main enemy in Super Mario Land 2.
Which doesn't at all contribute to the point that was being made.
Wario having his own games doesn't change the fact that like Waluigi, he barely counts as a rival.

Perhaps, but at least Wario has actually done something of value in the Mario series to compete and just plain piss off Mario, seeing how he stole away Mario's castle in Super Mario Land 2. Hell, Luigi doesn't even really care about him. Wins a tournament, just gets brushed aside with a "Eh, whatever". He's more like he's trying to impress him like Luigi's his Alcoholic father than actually being his rival. And when Waluigi does something of value (Bullet Bill in the ball launcher in Sluggers, Bob-omb blaster in Power Tennis) It's never directly aimed at Luigi, it's at usually both brothers.
The "eh, whatever" holds more power that you think it does.
In that game, Luigi is clearly shown to hold an actual rivalry. Especially considering he is the one to pick a fight in the opening, not Waluigi.
That "eh, whatever" is more along the lines of denying Waluigi the reaction he wanted in a final act of mockery.

...and then later games pussified Luigi, making such negativity towards Waluigi out of character.
EDIT: While Waluigi now comes off as rather stalkish, in cases such as Mario & Sonic at the London 2013 Olympic Games, where he is shown to have invented the "Waluigiscopes" just to spy on Luigi and find out his weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom