• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Do you guys think Sakurai will reveal Ness or Lucas first? Assuming both are in the game.
I am going to say Ness, I am starting to think that Lucas will be an alternative costume for Ness. Even if he isn't, I think the return of Ness is more pertinent to make overt.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
The intent isn't relevant. The notion that Waluigi is closely associated as an original character conceived for spin-off games is enough. He doesn't need to be the main character to most accurately represent the game.
Original character planned as main villain to second Mario Brother -> Original character planned so that Wario wouldn't be a loner at the Tennis court.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's really dreamy and probably much larger than what we'll end up with, but what do you guys think of this roster?

Amazing roster, I give you big props for Sable and Shulk. It's a bit on the large side though with 51 characters. Don't have much to say after that though. (I should get back to playing Pokemon Y, Smashboards is more addicting than Pokemon apparently)

Morbi

Scavenger
Original character planned as main villain to second Mario Brother -> Original character planned so that Wario wouldn't be a loner at the Tennis court.
That wasn't what I was insinuating. I was merely asserting that Waluigi doesn't have to be the main character of the spin-off series to most accurately represent said series.

D

Deleted member

This common belief that Waluigi was made just so Wario could have a partner honestly irks me to no end.
He was made to give Luigi a rival, not for the sake of giving Wario a partner.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I am going to say Ness, I am starting to think that Lucas will be an alternative costume for Ness. Even if he isn't, I think the return of Ness is more pertinent to make overt.
I'd be pretty bummed if Lucas got reduced to an alternate costume, because he has so much untapped moveset potential, but it'd be better than nothing. I do really want Robot and Pajama costumes for Ness though.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
That wasn't what I was insinuating. I was merely asserting that Waluigi doesn't have to be the main character of the spin-off series to most accurately represent said series.
Peach already represents said games just fine with her side smash.

This common belief that Waluigi was made just so Wario could have a partner honestly irks me to no end.
He was made to give Luigi a rival, not for the sake of giving Wario a partner.
Must not be that great a rival if the only thing he's trying to beat him in is sports and not adventuring, which is his much bigger profession...or ghost hunting. :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So you are implying that Waluigi is a better antagonist for Luigi than King Boo? I agree wholeheartedly.
Waluigi is pretty weak... for years before his debut, he was training to be strong enough to finally confront Luigi... in a tennis court. :rolleyes:

Wario is clearly better... tennis courts? **** that! He's gonna steal Mario's castle... why do you think Mario is still living in a shabby house?

D

Deleted member

So you are implying that Waluigi is a better antagonist for Luigi than King Boo? I agree wholeheartedly.
Wasn't implying that, but in a sense, it's something I would agree with.
King Boo isn't Luigi's personal enemy; he's against both Bros.
Waluigi solely focuses on Luigi, but will antagonize Mario if Mario pisses him off.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'd be pretty bummed if Lucas got reduced to an alternate costume, because he has so much untapped moveset potential, but it'd be better than nothing. I do really want Robot and Pajama costumes for Ness though.
I would as well, I do not enjoy playing as Ness, but Lucas is one of the more fun characters in the game. I feel as though they have extremely similar play-styles though, he seems like a logical cut and a costume might be sufficient. I don't want to say it, it is just a feeling I have.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Ness, he'll probably get the spotlight first to promote Earthbound on the Virtual Console.
I think Sakurai kind of missed his time promote EB on the VC, in March, it will have been a year since it's rerelease in Japan.

Since we know it's possible that newcomers can be shown in Nintendo Directs anytime Sakurai feels like showing them off, do you think any future NDs could hold another new character for us?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Must not be that great a rival if the only thing he's trying to beat him in is sports and not adventuring, which is his much bigger profession...or ghost hunting. :p
Same argument can apply to Wario, you know.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Sakurai kind of missed his time promote EB on the VC, in March, it will have been a year since it's rerelease in Japan.
That doesn't matter... Sakurai is promoting Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem on Marth's page in the Japanese SSB4 website even though that game came out in 2010.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You're going to stomach a green Landmaster, and you're going to like it!
Slippy gets the submarine. And the stage isn't even filled with water when he uses it.

She would be a promising addition along with Mango Munch, Rosy Lime and The Vinegar.
I'm pretty sure it's Mega Mango.

...actually does Mario really have a personal enemy anymore?
Bowser? Y'know that guy that always tries to kill him? And has the tendency to kidnap his loved ones.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
This is an incredibly fallacious statement, since the Avatar is a crucially important character within Awakening (with measurable significance among Chrom and Lucina, in-game story-line wise) and is a defining aspect of the game (as well as encapsulating the player's personal experiences with Fire Emblem as a whole - the grand-master tactician behind every critically-essential decision on the battlefield). The Avatar shouldn't be overlooked, especially if Sakurai is truly invested within interesting character ideas.

Also, I truly believe Lyndis would be a great choice for character selection, so I am certainly not against her inclusion (in the very case my response would be mistaken as being antagonistic towards her).
Your grammar... yes...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Bowser? Y'know that guy that always tries to kill him? And has the tendency to kidnap his loved ones.
Maybe reread the conversation prior. If King Boo doesn't count as Luigi's personal enemy because Mario SOMETIMES fights him, Bowser can't count as Mario's because Luigi fights him far more than Mario fights King Boo.

Also so do Peach, Toad and Yoshi. And Wario that one time. Also Rosalina in that cutscene. And Daisy and Waluigi if you count Mario Party as they did punch him into space...

I guess Donkey Kong still counts as a personal enemy/rival.

Maybe Bowser, since he often forgets Luigi even exists. :p
I guess DK would count. I don't think Luigi ever fought him?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ness, he'll probably get the spotlight first to promote Earthbound on the Virtual Console.
True... I just downloaded EarthBound two days ago... I am enjoying it so far... it is actually my first time playing EarthBound... I definitely can see Sakurai promoting EarthBound on the SSB4 website when he confirms Ness.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
That doesn't matter... Sakurai is promoting Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem on Marth's page in the Japanese SSB4 website even though that game came out in 2010.
He's promoting Awakening.

Morbi

Scavenger
Maybe reread the conversation prior. If King Boo doesn't count as Luigi's personal enemy because Mario SOMETIMES fights him, Bowser can't count as Mario's because Luigi fights him far more than Mario fights King Boo.

Also so do Peach, Toad and Yoshi. And Wario that one time. Also Rosalina in that cutscene. And Daisy and Waluigi if you count Mario Party as they did punch him into space...
That is assuming that he doesn't count as Luigi's personal enemy based on the notion that other characters have confronted him before. If we aren't laboring under that delusion, it becomes quite apparent that King Boo is most accurately described as Luigi's antagonist (despite other characters occasionally fighting him) and Bowser as Mario's enemy (predominantly). Although honestly, Peach gets kidnapped so much that she might actually be his personal enemy.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Same argument can apply to Wario, you know.
Perhaps, but at least Wario has actually done something of value in the Mario series to compete and just plain piss off Mario, seeing how he stole away Mario's castle in Super Mario Land 2. Hell, Luigi doesn't even really care about him. Wins a tournament, just gets brushed aside with a "Eh, whatever". He's more like he's trying to impress him like Luigi's his Alcoholic father than actually being his rival. And when Waluigi does something of value (Bullet Bill in the ball launcher in Sluggers, Bob-omb blaster in Power Tennis) It's never directly aimed at Luigi, it's at usually both brothers.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
True... I just downloaded EarthBound two days ago... I am enjoying it so far... it is actually my first time playing EarthBound... I definitely can see Sakurai promoting EarthBound on the SSB4 website when he confirms Ness.
EarthBound is an amazing game, one of my favorites, in my top ten. Mother 3 is arguably even more amazing.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Meh, I read the post. Why would you assume I didn't? I think it more so depends on who they go after more. Along with who they have a grudge with. King Boo is known for Fighting Luigi more, even though it's only happened twice. Bowser is known more for fighting Mario the dozens of times they fought. A few of those times Mario was the only playable character.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Can we stop calling Robin "Tactician". I mean Sakurai doesn't call Ness: "Psychic Kid" just because you can choose your own name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom