• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Alright, I have a question for everyone.
Take the Elite Four Retros: Takamaru, Mach Rider, Lip, and Muddy Mole.
Given these four characters...

Which one is most likely?
Which one has the most potential to be unique?
Who would you like to see the most?
Which one is most deserving?

I'd say Takamaru, Lip, Muddy Mole, and Takamaru respectively.
Takamaru, Mach Rider, Sable, Sable. :9
It's my honest opinion.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Takamaru. Ugh.
Lip or Muddy Mole.
Lip. Actually I'd prefer Duck Hunt Dog but he's not an option.
None of them are particularly deserving even to the level of Pit pre-Brawl. Duck Hunt Dog is at least remembered, unlike all the above, by non Nintendo encyclopedic knowledge owning individuals.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Takamaru, Mach Rider, Sable, Sable. :9
It's my honest opinion.
Well, you were supposed to choose from those four in @Louie G.'s post. Sable isn't on that list.

Takamaru. Ugh.
Lip or Muddy Mole.
Lip. Actually I'd prefer Duck Hunt Dog but he's not an option.
None of them are particularly deserving even to the level of Pit pre-Brawl. Duck Hunt Dog is at least remembered, unlike all the above, by non Nintendo encyclopedic knowledge owning individuals.
What's so wrong with Takamaru? He doesn't seem too bad.

I dont know why, but i feel like palutena could make a good heavy character.
She is a taller character, so it could work. Just as long as she isn't as heavy as Bowser and Ganondorf.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

My answers are:
Takamaru
Muddy Mole
Lip
It's hard to say. I think Takamaru would be the more deserving as he has been getting some attention lately (the reason why I think he's more likely than the others.), but I want to say Lip because bias. :p

SuperBrawler

Smash Master

1. Takamaru
2. Muddy Mole
3. Lip
4. Takamaru.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I just don't think he's as unique as everyone keeps making out he is. Also seems like the most dull option to me, but one that's insanely popular for some inexplicable reason. Does everyone expect a game revival for every retro pick or something now?
But he's a samurai. There is nobody like him on the roster.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
But he's a samurai. There is nobody like him on the roster.
Being a swordsman does put him a little behind in uniqueness... when you compare a girl with a flower wand, a ground mole and a bike rider with guns attached to his bike, referring to Louie's questionnaire.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Haha, is it bad that I didn't realize that everybody was answering the four questions, so when I saw Takamaru mentioned twice in the original reply to the original question, I thought every reply after that (especially the ones with two characters listed twice) were sarcasm and poking fun?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Takamaru, because of Sakurai's previous statement on him, him being mentioned in Sakurai's Brawl Journal, and him having the largest following of the four (though that's not saying much). Also, even though "He completes X fan-made grouping!" is a poor argument, Sakurai himself pointed out the connection between Link, Samus, and Pit in his Developer Direct, so Takamaru could fit in in that regard as well.

Otherwise, if Sakurai has figured out how to work Mach Rider's bike in, he could have a shot, and Muddy Mole was brought up in an interview with him, so he might as well? Sakurai blew off some guy asking him about Lip pre-Brawl to talk about how great a game Panel de Pon was, though, kind of like he blew off a guy asking him about Toad to joke about Kinopio sounding like Pinocchio, so I don't expect her.

Give Mach Rider a motorcycle mechanic and it would definitely be him. Otherwise, Muddy Mole wins for having a cool digging mechanic, though I'm unsure how they'd implement it without it being used as an annoying way to stall during fights.

Takamaru, Mach Rider, and Muddy Mole are all on even ground to me, with Lip being a fair ways below them for not having anything desirable to offer (poison damage could be done better with Bowser Jr. or another spellcaster who doesn't have built-in loli appeal). Not that I'm a big fan of retros to begin with, but those are probably the best choices among them.

Takamaru, for reasons listed under likelihood.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Takamaru on top of being a samurai also have ninja (Shurikens & invisibility), Fire and Lightning abilities.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I just don't think he's as unique as everyone keeps making out he is. Also seems like the most dull option to me, but one that's insanely popular for some inexplicable reason. Does everyone expect a game revival for every retro pick or something now?
I doubt everyone thinks he'll get a revival. But people do like Samurai. I do too. Though I get that he's not super unique.

Yeah probably not that hefty, but a magic powerhouse that doesnt have to move much, maybe even hovering like mewtwo.
I was thinking of her being a little heavier than Adult Link. But lighter than Samus.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Don't think anyone will care, but I had a thought with Rosalina.

Though I had discounted it before, I'm starting to believe that current characters matter. Let me explain. Rosalina was a character that didn't exist until during Brawl's development. She has been in three main games as well as the Mario Kart games. She wasn't a highly requested character especially compared to Waluigi and Bowser Jr. Yet she was added anyway. Why? The reason is she is a predominate character in the series. It seems that this holds more weight than we thought before. What I'mn thinking is current characters are what Sakurai is looking for. For this I mean those that had appeared in a game since Brawl. Rosalina and WFT didn't exist until after Brawl was being made. Villager had existed before Brawl, but he has since appeared in games. So current characters are, well, current. They have had rolls since the last game. So if we consider this, this is how In think the roster will play out.

One of the biggest contenders would be Dixie Kong as she is once again appearing in a DK title (and did pop up in some of the other titles as well). With Tropical Freeze, she is current after a hiatus. I also think Kid Icarus characters are likely, specifically Palutena though others could appear as well. And then there is Little Mac. Since Brawl, a new Punch-Out game was made and, as many have pointed out, the arena fits the game's motif. So generally, I feel like these characters are the most likely. I feel like Shulk has a good shot though it's a matter if Sakurai wants to add the series. It is small compared to Animal Crossing and Wii Fit so there is that issue. There is also Ridley who appeared in the most recent Other M and Metroid Prime 3. These are the 5 characters I think haave the best chance. Outside of these, other possibilities include Bandana Dee, Ghirahim, a new Pokemon and Chrom. I do not think a Pokemon character will happen as Mewtwo and older Pokemon seem to be more of a focus. There is also Rhythm Heaven which will likely receive some content. A character is possible.

The characters I'm not confident on are Krystal, King K Rool and Issac. These characters haven't had a recent appearance in some time. King K Rool last appeared in Mario Sluggers and Issac wasn't a major character in his last game (or at least wasn't a lead character). Krystal hasn't appeared since 2006.

Note this does not apply to any retro character. Though not current, they are added for different reasons. Also, this is all theorycreafting and can be proven wrong very quickly. Just an idea I'm toying with.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If Sakurai hadn't shot him down in Melee, he could possibly have gotten in by now. Excitebike is a pretty iconic series to Nintendo.
well, there's more people in this time, maybe they can make him realistically jump around.

(apparently that was the reason he was left out)

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

Though I had discounted it before, I'm starting to believe that current characters matter. Let me explain. Rosalina was a character that didn't exist until during Brawl's development. She has been in three main games as well as the Mario Kart games. She wasn't a highly requested character especially compared to Waluigi and Bowser Jr. Yet she was added anyway. Why? The reason is she is a predominate character in the series. It seems that this holds more weight than we thought before. What I'mn thinking is current characters are what Sakurai is looking for. For this I mean those that had appeared in a game since Brawl. Rosalina and WFT didn't exist until after Brawl was being made. Villager had existed before Brawl, but he has since appeared in games. So current characters are, well, current. They have had rolls since the last game. So if we consider this, this is how In think the roster will play out.

One of the biggest contenders would be Dixie Kong as she is once again appearing in a DK title (and did pop up in some of the other titles as well). With Tropical Freeze, she is current after a hiatus. I also think Kid Icarus characters are likely, specifically Palutena though others could appear as well. And then there is Little Mac. Since Brawl, a new Punch-Out game was made and, as many have pointed out, the arena fits the game's motif. So generally, I feel like these characters are the most likely. I feel like Shulk has a good shot though it's a matter if Sakurai wants to add the series. It is small compared to Animal Crossing and Wii Fit so there is that issue. There is also Ridley who appeared in the most recent Other M and Metroid Prime 3. These are the 5 characters I think haave the best chance. Outside of these, other possibilities include Bandana Dee, Ghirahim, a new Pokemon and Chrom. I do not think a Pokemon character will happen as Mewtwo and older Pokemon seem to be more of a focus. There is also Rhythm Heaven which will likely receive some content. A character is possible.

The characters I'm not confident on are Krystal, King K Rool and Issac. These characters haven't had a recent appearance in some time. King K Rool last appeared in Mario Sluggers and Issac wasn't a major character in his last game (or at least wasn't a lead character). Krystal hasn't appeared since 2006.

Note this does not apply to any retro character. Though not current, they are added for different reasons. Also, this is all theorycreafting and can be proven wrong very quickly. Just an idea I'm toying with.
Or you know, she was chosen because Sakurai thought she was unique from all the other choices, same with WFT. So I wouldn't worry about characters like K. Rool for not being "current" or even relevant.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I personally think it's less a matter of recency and more of promotion, though there is a lot of overlap between the two.

Uniqueness is still an important factor, looking at the bar set by all the newcomers.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd be much more inclined to agree that Rosalina signifies the prioritization of characters' recency over their fan demand if Bowser Jr. or Waluigi had been anything more than middle-of-the-road "Mario Rep" choices with nothing all that new to offer. But...they weren't, really.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
well, there's more people in this time, maybe they can make him realistically jump around.

(apparently that was the reason he was left out)
We need an Excitebike character that can jump around... Frog confirmed! :troll:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I know I'm a little late on this, but:

Which one is most likely? Takamaru.
Which one has the most potential to be unique? All of them could be made extremely unique, but I'd say...Muddy Mole or Takamaru.
Who would you like to see the most? Takamaru or Lip would make me happy.
Which one is most deserving? Takamaru. No question.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The only thing Rosalina's inclusion proves is that being unique is a more important factor then we think, contrary to what people may say otherwise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

- Takamaru.
- Tie between Muddy and Lip.
- None in particular.
- None in particular too. Would be pleased in any case.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I find it more likely that, given Rosalina's unique, interesting moveset and playstyle, she simply stood out more to Sakurai than any other Mario character that had yet to be playable in Smash. And I think this, if anything, increases K. Rool's chances. He has a huge arsenal of weapons and attacks that could be used, his potential is huge. He seems like a character that would be right up Sakurai's alley.

James92

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jgrim92

Takamaru
Muddy Mole
Lip
Takamaru

But, if I could pick any retro character, it would obviously be this guy:

Referee Mario for the win!!! :laugh:

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Unique character possibilities?
Lip, K. Rool, Ridley, Shulk, Pac man...
It does seem that un unique characters could suffer from this a bit.
Then again, we'll probably get at least one new clone/semi clone.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce

Why do I need to choose between those four

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only thing Rosalina's inclusion proves is that being unique is a more important factor then we think, contrary to what people may say otherwise.
Toon Link is very unique in that he is the only character who is not unique. :troll:

Fortanono

Smash Ace

Takamaru, Muddy Mole, Lip, and Takamaru.

Natz~

Full of Hugs and Fire~

i'm bored -_-... anything interesting with you guys?

Takamaru, he seems to be the most requested right?
i'll say muddy, a barrowing technique gotta bring something interesting,
lip, she just so cute =D, and i'll love to beat grown men with a little girl :laugh:
. . ., I don't know, taka or lip I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom