• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Wait, you were being serious? I thought you were satirically over complicating how much one should actually care about how in depth a character in a Kid Icarus game is.
You did play Uprising, right? The characters were literally the only thing that got me to finish the game. Other than that nagging in the back of my head that starts when I don't finish things.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Wait, you were being serious? I thought you were satirically over complicating how much one should actually care about how in depth a character in a Kid Icarus game is.
To be fair, the other two games probably couldn't have in depth characters. And I like in depth characters

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You did play Uprising, right? The characters were literally the only thing that got me to finish the game. Other than that nagging in the back of my head that starts when I don't finish things.
Yes, I beat uprising. But, I didn't know the characters were such deep people you were suppose to connect with. I thought their role was to be funny sometimes.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes, I beat uprising. But, I didn't know the characters were such deep people you were suppose to connect with. I thought their role was to be funny sometimes.
I think you pretty much have the right idea actually

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I play Uprising for the characters.

I just never get any good weapons because I'm terrible at shooters.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Wait, you were being serious? I thought you were satirically over complicating how much one should actually analyze or care about how in depth a character in a Kid Icarus game is.

Like wow.
Hey, when I see a shallow character, I see a shallow character.

Especially when said character comes from a cast of colorful characters.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Seriously? The characters were nice and all, but that wasn't the main reason why I liked the game. I love me some rail shooters. And gots me some 300+ weapons and go on multiplayer all the time, which is what really gives KI:U its replay value. As for the characters, they're nice but for me it was about the gameplay. The Gemini obitars are cheap as hell tho. (good troll weapon lololo)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well I don't like anything on-rails much, I prefer having freedom to run around and do whatever. Sadly, those kinds of games have all but died off.

Gune

Smash Lord
Seriously? The characters were nice and all, but that wasn't the main reason why I liked the game. I love me some rail shooters. And gots me some 300+ weapons and go on multiplayer all the time, which is what really gives KI:U its replay value. As for the characters, they're nice but for me it was about the gameplay. The Gemini obitars are cheap as hell tho. (good troll weapon lololo)
Magnus club rushing all day long!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't care how bland Medusa was, she's still a cool ass snakey woman. Give her a moveet based off of snakes, and her specials involve her four generals (or whatever they were), and make her run animation her in a naga form.

Gune

Smash Lord
I'm a more blade or claw kinda guy, I needs my speed.

Bumblebee is a must power, love that stuff.
Actually the magnus club is suprisingly fast since its primarily a melee wep, I run needle palm and ninja palm electro arm darkness bow and laser claws with bumblebee and power charge its a deadly combo.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Actually the magnus club is suprisingly fast since its primarily a melee wep, I run needle palm and ninja palm electro arm darkness bow and laser claws with bumblebee and power charge its a deadly combo.
Yeah I know it increases speed. I run samurai blade/beam claws/wolf claws and others I won't mention. I usually go online and troll people with the eyetrack or Gemini just for the lulz. but when i see that someone is really good i proceed to wreck them, my name is the same if you ever see me on there. (Zero)

Sorry i'm busy playing classic mahvel to respond any further. cya guys later.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Thank you, my good man/woman. But, don't you think it's strange that so many people instantly support another franchise (DK) getting 4 characters, but are so skeptical of two completely different IPs being from a retro era?
I don't find it entirely out of the question for there to be another two Donkey Kong characters to be added to the mix. I mean it is the fourth best selling Nintendo franchise after all (Fifth counting the Wii Series). Kirby really only gets spotlight because of the fact that he's Sakurai's creation, but if that wasn't the case we'd probably see Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Donkey Kong being advertised more (then again, it's not nearly as exciting to see Mario and DK together considering every Mario spinoff ever). But it wouldn't be too shocking to see Donkey Kong take the Mario / Zelda / Pokémon / Kirby route and get two additional characters in one game. The franchise is certainly worthy of having that many characters.
When it comes to retros, specifically the ones you chose, you need to be more aware of what you're picking. Now I'm not denying that Takamaru or Lip are worthy choices, they are in their own rights with ways to make them both unique characters. But you didn't only add two retro characters, you added two Japanese-Only retro characters. Now I have nothing against Japanese only characters (I mean I'm very happy with having Fire Emblem in Melee and Lucas an Brawl), but I feel that you should also realize that may be seen as having too many now that the game seems to be attempting to cater to all audiences of a lot of different regions. That said, go for another retro that's been released outside of Japan or look into potential miscellaneous characters. I just don't think Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Little Mac are enough to suffice the demand for relevant new IP characters.
Actually, there is an alternate version of my roster that has Lyn instead of Roy for the reason of being unique.
Oh okay, even then I still find three Fire Emblem characters to not be necessary. Lyn is still a cool character and all, but I'd imagine that Takamaru would use a similar style of swordplay. So even then, I believe the spot could be put to better use and be given to another new IP. Maybe consider playing around with potential characters and fill the spots and see what combinations you like!

But that's how I see it anyways.
----
Despite Sakurai looking for unique characters, I really doubt King Boo will ever be playable. Especially in place of Palutena, I mean whaaaatataatatataaatatattatattaattattataattatatat?!1/!?!
Also I'm sure this has been brought up to you before, but Isabelle won't be happening (or at least this should be saying otherwise).

Villager's character poster says hello.

Tetra will always be welcome though.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't find it entirely out of the question for there to be another two Donkey Kong characters to be added to the mix. I mean it is the fourth best selling Nintendo franchise after all (Fifth counting the Wii Series). Kirby really only gets spotlight because of the fact that he's Sakurai's creation, but if that wasn't the case we'd probably see Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Donkey Kong being advertised more (then again, it's not nearly as exciting to see Mario and DK together considering every Mario spinoff ever). But it wouldn't be too shocking to see Donkey Kong take the Mario / Zelda / Pokémon / Kirby route and get two additional characters in one game. The franchise is certainly worthy of having that many characters.
I'd just like to hear more defenses from people besides "It's deserving" or "It sells well." I mean obviously there is no established rule on franchise outside of Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon getting 4 representatives, but even beside that I feel Donkey Kong can really suffice with just King K. Rool or Dixie. It's also hard to use the defense that "They don't need 4" because obviously Sakurai's not gonna care as we have 5 Mario representatives and almost got 5 Zelda representatives. Whether or not a franchise needs more is interpreted differently. I wouldn't find it too strange however if Donkey Kong had 4 as long as the big 3 had 5. And I find it likely that Donkey Kong would get the Kirby treatment. Just skeptical of it.

I also disagree with your Donkey Kong over Kirby spotlight entirely. Like really. You're accusation that Kirby got it because he's Sakurai's creation is outrageous. Kirby still would have got it over Donkey Kong.

When it comes to retros, specifically the ones you chose, you need to be more aware of what you're picking.
I'm actually fully aware they are both Japan only and am just as concerned. But, I seriously can't think of any more deserving or unique characters. Mach Rider seems rather bland and not iconic and Duck Hunt Dog as a playable character is not a concept I believe Sakurai will recognize or find appealing.

I just don't think Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Little Mac are enough to suffice the demand for relevant new IP characters.
And Mega Man.

Oh okay, even then I still find three Fire Emblem characters to not be necessary.
Neither do I. I only find Roy necessary because he's the only other character besides Leif to have an ancestor or character based on him to pay tribute to him as well as an expansion of his story. And unlike Leif he is iconic and not a Marth pallete swap.

Lyn is still a cool character and all, but I'd imagine that Takamaru would use a similar style of swordplay.
Actually, the Lyn roster had Mii instead of Takamaru because of that.

So even then, I believe the spot could be put to better use and be given to another new IP. Maybe consider playing around with potential characters and fill the spots and see what combinations you like!
I think I like the Mii roster best, which takes the spot of Takamaru. My one and only major concern with Mii is that he would in fact have to be treated differently unlike the rest of the cast.

But that's how I see it anyways.
I mostly see it that way too.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'd just like to hear more defenses from people besides "It's deserving" or "It sells well." I mean obviously there is no established rule on franchise outside of Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon getting 4 representatives, but even beside that I feel Donkey Kong can really suffice with just King K. Rool or Dixie. It's also hard to use the defense that "They don't need 4" because obviously Sakurai's not gonna care as we have 5 Mario representatives and almost got 5 Zelda representatives. Whether or not a franchise needs more is interpreted differently. I wouldn't find it too strange however if Donkey Kong had 4 as long as the big 3 had 5. And I find it likely that Donkey Kong would get the Kirby treatment. Just skeptical of it.
Well it's a valid argument. It has the sales and fanbase to get four characters in my book. Whether it's the same to Sakurai or not isn't up to me though.
I also disagree with your Donkey Kong over Kirby spotlight entirely. Like really. You're accusation that Kirby got it because he's Sakurai's creation is outrageous. Kirby still would have got it over Donkey Kong.
My accusation is that Kirby is more advertised than DK may be because of Sakurai's bias. But I then said after that it could also be because of how Mario vs Donkey Kong isn't nearly as interesting as Mario vs Kirby due to the wide array of Mario Spinoffs with DK in them.
I'm actually fully aware they are both Japan only and am just as concerned. But, I seriously can't think of any more deserving or unique characters. Mach Rider seems rather bland and not iconic and Duck Hunt Dog as a playable character is not a concept I believe Sakurai will recognize or find appealing.
Muddy Mole?? Also I think Mach Rider can be unique if done correctly.
And Mega Man.
I said relevant ips silly.
Neither do I. I only find Roy necessary because he's the only other character besides Leif to have an ancestor or character based on him to pay tribute to him as well as an expansion of his story. And unlike Leif he is iconic and not a Marth pallete swap.
I still believe that Roy is still unnecessary, even with that logic applied. I mean Marth has an ancestor in Chrom and Lucina, but you don't see people saying that is the reason why he should've return. There's just no need for a third Fire Emblem character in my opinion, and if there is one I only hope that the character is different for the already existing two from Brawl.
Actually, the Lyn roster had Mii instead of Takamaru because of that.
Oh okay, that was a left out detail.
I think I like the Mii roster best, which takes the spot of Takamaru. My one and only major concern with Mii is that he would in fact have to be treated differently unlike the rest of the cast.
I'd still reconsider Lyndis, if there was a third Fire Emblem character, I doubt it'll be her. I'd suspect a FE: Awakening Character, Roy, or bust.
I mostly see it that way too.
Alrighty.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I lot of people want Gen 6 starters oddly enough.

And should I take this to 4chan?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Fenniken, Quilladin, and Greninja?

Chespin, Braixen, and Greninja?

Anyway, Greninja is the most popular of the starters

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Posted it on 4chan.

I expect lolzy results.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
From what I can tell there is only one person "raving" about Apollo, and it is Ace Attorney's Apollo Justice considering her last post mentioning his hair.
Oh, it might have just been the same person posting different things throughout the day

I didn't pay too much attention.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, it was made by Kirby's company, lead by kirby's creator, and based off kirby all stars gameplay
Smash 64 was a project idea, an idea that Nintendo decided to allow. There is NO way they would have given him the liberty to take out one of the most iconic Nintendo characters in favor of an original creation. Donkey Kong was MUCH bigger than Kirby in the 90s, and they didn't necessarily trust Sakurai in the same way that they trust him today. I suppose it is just an opinion, but I wouldn't see it happening.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Smash 64 was a project idea, an idea that Nintendo decided to allow. There is NO way they would have given him the liberty to take out one of the most iconic Nintendo characters in favor of an original creation. Donkey Kong was MUCH bigger than Kirby in the 90s, and they didn't necessarily trust Sakurai in the same way that they trust him today. I suppose it is just an opinion, but I wouldn't see it happening.
Honestly, if it came down to it Ness or Captain Falcon would have been cut before either of those 2

Of course I didn't read saturn's post so I don't know what this is about

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
@ AEMehr AEMehr
Sorry about that, I didn't want to quote Saturn's text-wall, this is what I was referring to.
Ah, well Donkey Kong sells (or uh, sold) a lot more than Kirby games back in the day. I'd argue that DK would be more fitting as a Smash Mascot since he was the fourth best selling franchise at the time (assuming things were similar then too); and as PsychoIncarnate said, it's no surprise Kirby took the role from DK. I'm not complaining or anything, just something interesting to think about and consider when talking about Donkey Kong characters in the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom