• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Because of him we GOT Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf, in addition to the end of Subspace.
So don't complain about Sonic, he helped more than he hurt.
I think Jigglypuff, Toon Link and Wolf would have made it in just fine without Sonic, those where the three he managed to squeeze in at the last minute since they were easy to develop in a short amount of time they had left from what I understood at least...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Oddly enough Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf were the only ones to have a short cutscene in SSE and had no big role in the story. Could that hint that they were last minute additions?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oddly enough Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf were the only ones to have a short cutscene in SSE and had no big role in the story. Could that hint that they were last minute additions?
I suppose they were intended as last minute characters they could put in to the game if they were pressed with time back then. But priorities have changed now though.

Or maybe they were supposed to be involved in some cutscenes with some of the other cut character?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
True, but I still wouldn't count on it being released this year. If it is, cool. I just don't want Sakurai to rush this game. And just because we don't have SSE doesn't mean that the game can't get delayed.
Well, lets see...Melee was in development for less than two years. Brawl a little over two years (with delays). This game will probably fall somewhere in between them, so Summer 2013 seems about right.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
True, but I still wouldn't count on it being released this year. If it is, cool. I just don't want Sakurai to rush this game. And just because we don't have SSE doesn't mean that the game can't get delayed.
Sakurai has went on record he's going for a 2014 release and made it his New Years Resolution, also, the game will have been in development for nearly three years by this December, which compared to Brawl's and Melee's is a lot of time to develop and finalize the game.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
The main reason Brawl was delayed was because Sonic.
I don't think that there are any characters close to Sonic in terms of popularity that can DELAY THE GAME.
So I agree.
The only one that comes to mind is Mewtwo, who I think, and wouldn't be surprised if it were true, is more popular than Brawl Sonic was.

Though that'll only happen if Sakurai, for some reason, doesn't want Mewtwo in Smash4. Because that's literally the only thing keeping him out this time.

Also speaking of Sonic and cut characters, I'm convinced that Sakurai forfeited working on Mewtwo and Roy to get Sonic done, as Mewtwo and Roy were the next closest to completion.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Nice conversation.

I think, in regard to newcomer reveals, maybe we'll see them at the general directs in probably February and April. Or those could be reserved for characters like Snake or Mewtwo: veterans with a special case. Luigi being revealed for his year, Sonic, and Rosalina were all pretty important in their directs.

We have 20 characters so far. That's pretty good. By E3 2014 I want to see at least 6 more characters, with at least one of them being a newcomer. With 25-26 characters in one year, that's pretty good. By E3 I expect Dedede, Diddy, Wario, and Yoshi to be revealed. And maybe an Earthbound or Pokemon character. And one newcomer. That's my realistic prediction.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I think, in regard to newcomer reveals, maybe we'll see them at the general directs in probably February and April. Or those could be reserved for characters like Snake or Mewtwo: veterans with a special case. Luigi being revealed for his year, Sonic, and Rosalina were all pretty important in their directs.
I'm thinking that as well, Directs are easily the best time to reveal popular characters in updates and giving newcomers and/or Snake and Mewtwo in them is the best way to hype up the game.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Nice conversation.

We have 20 characters so far. That's pretty good. By E3 2014 I want to see at least 6 more characters, with at least one of them being a newcomer. With 25-26 characters in one year, that's pretty good. By E3 I expect Dedede, Diddy, Wario, and Yoshi to be revealed. And maybe an Earthbound or Pokemon character. And one newcomer. That's my realistic prediction.
Can't sum up my thoughts better. Kudos.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
If Sakurai reveals one newcomer before E3, who would it likely be? A DKC character is likely due to Tropical Freeze in February.
February might bring Diddy. For Newcomers, I want to see either a new character for a veteran franchise or Little Mac.

D

Deleted member

Who else expect a Smash Bros. Direct coming this January 21st ?

(Same date as the release of the 1st SSB back in 1999, for those who don't know)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It would be nice to get one coinciding with the anniversary, but I don't see a Smash-centric Direct until at most likely a month before release.

I doubt Sakurai (or Nintendo) wants a Direct's worth of info to be revealed all at once and this early.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That would be assuming they were developed after all the stages, assist trophies, Pokemon, and SSE levels. Which we have no proof of.

I also find the term "Last minute addition" to be used very loosely by people here. They were clearly planned from the start and just because they were the lowest priority of the highest priority characters does not mean they were remotely close to being developed at the last minute.

Toon Zelda would be an example of a last minute addition as her role was basically filler and she wasn't even close to making it all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom