• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Toon Link is the new Young Link, so Classic Ganon, even though I don't think he's very likely.
Zelda is divided in the classic style, the realistic style and the cartoonish style.
I think is very likely to have YL again representing the classic style, different model but the same moveset and general idea of a character.

Not in this game of course, but someday.
What im saying is, if TL is the new YL, well, YL will be the old YL :p

Classic Ganon because he would have an original moveset unlike Young Link alone.
That doesnt mean he is more likely...

D

Deleted member

That means....what exactly?
It means that Adult Link is only there to please the fans, but the game designers, much like many of us, consider a child-like Link to be the original representation of the character. Thus, there will forever be two Links and one will always be a child as long as the designers chose to make reference to the heart of the series, a time in which it was the adventure of a Young boy on a quest to save a princess, not some gritty anime-inspired adventure like Final Fantasy.

Chrom and Lucina aren't a well know duo?
No, they aren't. And a concept like that wouldn't work because it'd be too difficult to program and possibly eat up too much in-game RAM.

Why, thank you. I have several problems with Snake in Smash Bros., and I understand that people don't like cuts, but ... do you really think he fits this brighter art style? He hardly fit in Brawl at all. Not to mention that Sakurai wants this game to be more family friendly ... Snake kind of conflicts with that.

Please play some Metal Gear before saying anything like that ever again...:(

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Zelda is divided in the classic style, the realistic style and the cartoonish style.
I think is very likely to have YL again representing the classic style, different model but the same moveset and general idea of a character.

Not in this game of course, but someday.

That doesn't mean he is more likely...
Yeah he may dismiss the idea of trident wielding beast too. :crying:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Screw IGN. Rosalina is a really good Newcomer. From what I've seen on the trailer she looks really interesting, with a good player handing the controller she will be an awesome fighter, and I hope someone uses it to screw the spammy Meta Knight players :awesome:

About Kirby, I think we definetely need a new rep. I'd say knuckle Joe, but I'm not quite sure if he could fit in..

And about Dr Mario... Keep in mind that 2014 is the Luigi Year for Nintendo, and we're going to have a Dr. Luigi for the Wii U. So.. Yeah, maybe we'll have a hilarious Dr. Luigi instead! I'd be awesome don't you think?

So... Andros... I mean, it's just impossible, and as much as He wants to destroy the Lylat System, Fox's arch enemy is and allways will be Wolf.
Not a fan of Doctor Luigi. He doesn't even take off his hat. That's just unprofessional. If we're getting a Doctor, it better be of the Mario variety. Accept no substitutes.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Yeah, I don't think Sakurai would make those two characters into duo. That seems rather silly and they aren't really well known as a duo or one that's usually together.

Although I share your doubts as to a Fire Emblem duo (although the likelihood is still to be considered), I do disagree on your reasoning as to why. The pairing system in Awakening would make the tandem a sensible decision, especially considering their story-line importance with each other as well as the pairing system's integral role within the combat of the game.

I'm not necessarily advocating a Chrom and Lucina duo; like I said, I'm only bringing up the mechanic (among others) in the very case Sakurai does want to personally implement a uniquely-inclined Chrom, as opposed to relegating him as a semi-clone rendition.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Honestly I think more people have seen stuff of Chrom and Lucina (in her Marth disguise) trying to beat each other up than helping each other. The only real points for them working as a duo is Father-Daughter and support system. At least we see Chrom and Robin fighting together the whole game, That makes more sense imo.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm pissed beyond belief that we'll never get Paper Mario, but you don't hear me ******** about Rosalina.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It means that Adult Link is only there to please the fans, but the game designers, much like many of us, consider a child-like Link to be the original representation of the character. Thus, there will forever be two Links and one will always be a child as long as the designers chose to make reference to the heart of the series, a time in which it was the adventure of a Young boy on a quest to save a princess, not some gritty anime-inspired adventure like Final Fantasy.
This!

Sakurai wants to include the Link who represents the series roots which was originally about a young boy going out into an adventure. But contrary to that. The fans mainly want the adult Link so the designers best option is to include both the more popular adult Link and the more important child Link into the games. Hence why I don't see the child Link's leaving the series anytime soon and why I wasn't surprised we got one for this game too. Heck even if Toon Link were to be gone, there were still Young Link and ALBW Link who could have easily taken his place.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
And why do you think that?
They have no reason to. They've served their purpose, which was to buff the roster (Young Link having the additional reason of representing... well, young Link, his original and most common form. And that has now been taken over by Toon Link).
Roy and Mewtwo have good chances of coming back. Dr. Mario had a chance, being planned for Brawl and all means he was considered, but in all I think Rosalina will be it for Mario.
Mewtwo, yes, but Roy has no reason to return.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would be ok with Doc coming back as DLC. If he made the initial roster ( which is certainly unlikely) I'd be a bit upset. Especially because that would be 6 Mario characters.

Pichu was intentionally cut, Young Link would be redundant... So i wouldn't expect them.

Roy could happen, but for those people arguing that Chrom is "teh cloniest", look at who you're arguing for. A Melee clone. Hypocritical much?

I still think Mewtwo is going to be the only returnee, Roy maybe, but past that I doubt the rest.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm pissed beyond belief that we'll never get Paper Mario, but you don't hear me *****ing about Rosalina.
Well good job keeping your negative comments to yourself. But I wouldn't say Paper Mario is impossible. For all we know, he might be in this Smash, however unlikely he may be.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Why, thank you. I have several problems with Snake in Smash Bros., and I understand that people don't like cuts, but ... do you really think he fits this brighter art style? He hardly fit in Brawl at all. Not to mention that Sakurai wants this game to be more family friendly ... Snake kind of conflicts with that.
If Snake's aesthetic features "hardly fit in Brawl at all", as you say, then why would this be detrimental to him now in Smash Brothers 4? You reasoning as to cutting Snake certainly didn't prevent his inclusion previously, so why now?

If Snake is to be cut, it certainly wouldn't be the result of the game's overall visualization.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Just do what the P:M team did with Mario, give him some of Doc's attributes and costume and everyone is happy.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Roy could happen, but for those people arguing that Chrom is "teh cloniest", look at who you're arguing for. A Melee clone. Hypocritical much?
How is that hypocritical? You're assuming that because Roy was pure clone in a game like Melee that he would still be 100% clone in a game that is getting move set re hauls after Brawl which already re hauled clones. Roy actually has fire to differentiate his moves more than they were in Melee which relied on clones. Chrom has nothing iconic enough to incorporate into his semi-clone move set.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
How is that hypocritical? You're assuming that because Roy was pure clone in a game like Melee that he would still be 100% clone in a game that is getting move set re hauls after Brawl which already re hauled clones. Roy actually has fire to differentiate his moves more than they were in Melee which relied on clones. Chrom has nothing iconic enough to incorporate into his semi-clone move set.
I wouldn't call Roy iconic.
And fire is basically the same as pills, fire arrows or damage dealt by electric attacks.
He's still a clone, I'd argue as much as Dr. Mario or Pichu.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It is hypocritical to assume that Roy would be decloned drastically, but expect nothing good out of Chrom. For all we know, Roy could be the same way, or Chrom could be incredible after what Sakurai could do with him.

Except we don't know any of this yet. Which is why at this point, it is hypocritical.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I wouldn't call Roy iconic.
And fire is basically the same as pills, fire arrows or damage dealt by electric attacks.
He's still a clone, I'd argue as much as Dr. Mario or Pichu.
You don't understand what I'm saying. Roy's fire didn't diffirentiate himself in Melee because that game relied on clones. Brawl re hauled pure clones like Falco and Ganondorf and Smash 4 will do the same with Roy if he gets in.

You can't just say Roy would stay a clone because he was a clone in a game that relied on clones. Roy's fire will easily be more than just an aesthetic element this time around.

D

Deleted member

Pit and Lucas were obviously more important than Issac. Pit was probably more important than Issac because he's a CLASSIC Nintendo character just like Lip is in Japan. Where as Issac is not the most iconic or classic Nintendo character outside the internet. I also recall Lip and her game getting way more love than Issac in the Smash series.
:tired:
I refuse to touch this topic with you again. I'll let someone else more dedicated to Isaac handle it.

So we shouldn't want to play as Paper Mario because he's LITERALLY THE SAME PERSON?
Paper Mario hasn't been in Smash last I checked, and he certainly hasn't been a clone like Doc has, I think he'd be more interesting. I rest my case. :smash:

Who said he was more popular than regular Mario? I think someone else is making the weird arguments here, kid.
>Kid
>LEL

Anyway,
Who said he was more popular than regular Mario?
You did sweetie ;)

I don't know about you, but people liked that game, and since then Dr. Mario has become the most popular persona of Mario. If you don't have pills and your name isn't Dr. Mario, then you're not Dr. Mario.

Swamp Castle

Smash Apprentice
If Snake's aesthetic features "hardly fit in Brawl at all", as you say, then why would this be detrimental to him now in Smash Brothers 4? You reasoning as to cutting Snake certainly didn't prevent his inclusion previously, so why now?

If Snake is to be cut, it certainly wouldn't be the result of the game's overall visualization.
I said I had a lot of problems with Snake. I only brought up that one because it may have an impact on whether or not he actually gets cut. The visual aesthetics may not be much of a problem, but the fact that Sakurai wants to make the game more “family-friendly” is.

Snake doesn’t NEED to go, but if I had to choose one character who would, it would be him.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would be ok with Doc coming back as DLC. If he made the initial roster ( which is certainly unlikely) I'd be a bit upset. Especially because that would be 6 Mario characters.

Pichu was intentionally cut, Young Link would be redundant... So i wouldn't expect them.

I still think Mewtwo is going to be the only returnee, Roy maybe, but past that I doubt the rest.
The only one I would really like to see comeback is Mewtwo. And have Lucario still around too. To see if anyone will still call them clones, even though they share, like two moves at the most. I wouldn't mind Doctor Mario too much, provided he has some differences more from Mario. Young Link is never happening again, since Toon Link is the same thing, with a more unique look. Pichu is just a joke character. Roy has a fire sword, so that's why everyone likes him. But like the Doctor, I wouldn't mind it if he was given some good changes. Not sure about Chrom, does he have anything to make him stand out? I know he could use a lance sometimes right?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You don't understand what I'm saying. Roy's fire didn't diffirentiate himself in Melee because that game relied on clones. Brawl re hauled pure clones like Falco and Ganondorf and Smash 4 will do the same with Roy if he gets in.

You can't just say Roy would stay a clone because he was a clone in a game that relied on clones. Roy's fire will easily be more than just an aesthetic element this time around.
Yeah, I wasn't saying that Roy wouldn't be overhauled. Because if he came back he probably would be.
I'm saying that Roy's fire does not differentiate him from Marth any more so than pills differentiate Doc from Mario.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Saying Roy is destined to be overhauled but Chrom is doomed is hilarious. Both characters have things at their disposal that could translate well into Smash.

However I would prefer that both stay out and we just keep Ike.

D

Deleted member

Snake fits into the realistic style of Brawl quite nicely.
But I wonder how he'll look in Smash 4. Quite funny I imagine.
Samus and Marth look just fine, I don't see why Snake should be the exception to this.

Saying Roy is destined to be overhauled but Chrom is doomed is hilarious. Both characters have things at their disposal that could translate well into Smash.

Or, both stay out and we either get Lyn or Robin.

Pichu actually should return. There, I said it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It is hypocritical to assume that Roy would be decloned drastically, but expect nothing good out of Chrom.
It's not. Because Roy can have fire attacks that are not just elemental for show. The fire is the only thing that can declone him into a semi-clone. But, even then he has different characteristics unlike Chrom who is based off Marth for the most part.

(In true Smashboards fashion, I'm sure people who don't read will call me hypocritical for predicting Dr. Mario, when I actually don't. I just want him.)

Chrom could be incredible after what Sakurai could do with him.
I don't think so no.

Except we don't know any of this yet. Which is why at this point, it is hypocritical.
It's only hypocritical if you actually assume Roy will get no changes. Which doesn't make sense after Falco and Ganondorf.

D

Deleted member

The only Melee veteran that I see could return is Mewtwo. Everyone else I just can't see return. As for Roy, I feel as though that he would be a clone, or at least a semi-clone, because that would be extremely easy to do. I want Dr. Mario to at least come back as an alternate costume for Mario; anything beyond that or below that, like a roster slot or trophy or sticker, would be disappointing to me.

D

Deleted member

Okay, Toon Link represents some of the best-selling Zelda games ever. He reps Wind Waker, Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and most importantly, Wind Waker HD. Honestly, Toon Link's many times more prominent than regular Link, who's only been in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword (and even then they were different designs).
1. "Toon Link" is "Link as he appeared in The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass" according to Brawl.
Not Four Swords, not Four Swords Adventures, not Minish Cap, and not Spirit Tracks (that Link is on the Spirit Tracks stage). While all of those designs are the same, they are different incarnations of Link to the one that appears in Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass.

2. "Regular" Link would be (by your argument of Toon Link) every other Link that isn't "Toon" style. Not just Twilight Princess' Link and Skyward Sword's Link.

3. THEY ARE ALL LINK. All you're saying is that the "Toon" design of him is the most prominent. That I will not deny. However, that's just it; just a design. The Toon Link "character" (a.k.a. the Hero of Winds) is only in two games and a remake.
But let's remember a very important point; they're all just different appearances for "Link". Sure, you could bring up the argument that they are all different incarnations of Link, but...that's just it. They are all reincarnations of the same being, the "Original Link", Hylia's Chosen Hero. He is reborn whenever the world needs the Spirit of the Hero.

That being said, "Toon Link" is just a 2nd version of Link as Dr. Mario is to Mario (only difference is that Dr. Mario is an alter-ego of Mario). If Toon Link is acceptable, Dr. Mario should be acceptable as well.

D

Deleted member

I don't understand how you could be this dead set against Roy under the basis that he was a clone and did nothing to be different from Marth, yet fully support the inclusion of Pichu and Doc, both of which were equally if not worse offenders of the clone stigma than Roy.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

This guy gets it. We all liked Ike. Anyway, I want to see some more changes for Falco and Ganondorf. And for Ganondorf to be as good as his Melee version, if not better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom