• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natz~

Full of Hugs and Fire~

whelp its getting late where I am at, I think i'm going to get some sleep, good night guys,
oh and if anyone sees bidoof:

untitled.png

makes sure he gets this message

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh I'm still going for Tetra as our fifth Zelda character. With Toon Zelda along with her because I really can't see Tetra happening on her own.....

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
whelp its getting late where I am at, I think i'm going to get some sleep, good night guys,
Going to sleep? Okay then, I'll help you out. By counting sheep you can get to sleep faster.
sheep.png

Jump through the hoop so that LumaOkami can count you, dang it!

D

Deleted member

We don't need a transformation.
That's what we have Zelda/Sheik for.
Leave Tetra on her own. That was her main "state" anyway.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
As long as Toon Sheik is never a thing I would keep tetra. Even if Toon sheik was a thing tetras better.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh I'm still gonna play it safe and say that it would most likely be either both or neither when it comes to those two... No Toon Sheik.

Honestly, I'd be happy if we got Tetra at all. :/

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
As long as Toon Sheik is never a thing I would keep tetra. Even if Toon sheik was a thing tetras better.
Toon shiek feels like a tetra to me, by that I mean I think the file was code for tetra.

I still feel like were gonna get a transformation thing again, TZ+tetra.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I like that we at least got semi-close on the Mario series. No, really. We figured that the characters we brought up might cannibalize each other and lead to us getting no newcomer from the series. That very well might have ended up happening, only with Sakurai choosing a different, unique newcomer rather than none at all.

Also, I really like Hotfeet's King Boo choice from a few pages back. There's a character I think would be even more unique than what we've seen from Rosalina (funny how most Kings tend to have a truckload of moveset options). On a similar note, contrary to popular belief(?), this thread is pretty accepting of users going for diverse choices like King Boo, so long as the user doesn't cross the line into propagandizing that character at every turn.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I'm kinda disappointed that many have settled on our only new Zelda rep possibly being more versions of Zelda. I can't stand the thought of it, one shot be damned I'd rather have ghirahim. Impa would appease me as well, hell I don't even like tingle but he'd at least be his own character and not more of an already present one. I just think we shouldn't rule out a one time only character that quick, if past games have proven anything it's that anytime a character gets in smash their popularity and lasting appeal skyrockets, so it wouldn't even matter then and that characters future would be assured.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Also its going to take away from the uniqueness of Zelda and sheik
Eh there are quite a few characters already in Smash who reuse other character's specialty. Ike as fighting solely with a sword, just like Marth and Lucas making use of PSI attacks like Ness. So having another character using a transformation ability is nothing really new, really. :/

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm kinda disappointed that many have settled on our only new Zelda rep possibly being more versions of Zelda. I can't stand the thought of it, one shot be damned I'd rather have ghirahim. Impa would appease me as well, hell I don't even like tingle but he'd at least be his own character and not more of an already present one. I just think we shouldn't rule out a one time only character that quick, if past games have proven anything it's that anytime a character gets in smash their popularity and lasting appeal skyrockets, so it wouldn't even matter then and that characters future would be assured.
I'm not ruling girihaim out, he's just as likely. plus I like to think tetras not Zelda.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I know he probably will, but then I'm going to miss a down special.

Also its going to take away from the uniqueness of Zelda and sheik
TZ is basically a descendant of zelda....(look at the timeline). So yeah.

They'll have entirely different moves though. So i'd expect TZ to have cool moves along with a tetra pirate moveset.

I mean I want sakurai to go in another direction but this is how it might go down. Hope the wrongness continues.

="legendofrob1, post: 16156084, member: 216542"]I'm not ruling him out, he's just as likely. plus I like to think tetras not Zelda.
But she is. Play WW.

Just like Shiek is Zelda. in OOT.

...Thank you broken quote for finally showing yourself.

D

Deleted member

Anyone seriously expecting Toon Zelda to not be a clone is delusional.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Also, I really like Hotfeet's King Boo choice from a few pages back. There's a character I think would be even more unique than what we've seen from Rosalina (funny how most Kings tend to have a truckload of moveset options). On a similar note, contrary to popular belief(?), this thread is pretty accepting of users going for diverse choices like King Boo, so long as the user doesn't cross the line into propagandizing that character at every turn.
King Boo would be really interesting. If I picked another Mario character based solely on potential to be a unique character, then I would easily pick King Boo. Though maybe I'm just being biased since I love King Boo to death.
There's a lot of potential for unique characters out there. I just wish I wasn't so stingy when it came to importance in the character's franchise. Thankfully Rosalina has somewhat lifted that seeming burden off of me. I'm much more open to characters like King Boo who, while not as important to their franchise as other potential characters, could offer a very unique gameplay experience.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Zelda has a very small pool of potential newcomers... really, the only two franchises have the most potential in terms of newcomers are Fire Emblem and Pokemon, and they always will be in every subsequent installment of Smash, just due to the nature of how those two series work. Besides Pikachu and Marth (the mascots), characters just seem to come and go.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
You could have just said wrong.

Anyway, People thought Rosalina was going to be a peach clone and look what we got.

Again i'd rather get no zelda newcomers but since people want one so bad TZ+tetra will probably be the choice.

D

Deleted member

Comparing Toon Zelda to Rosalina is a pretty big stretch.

Rosalina only has a similar appearance to Peach. Toon Zelda is literally a toon Zelda.
Or was Toon Link's status as a clone not enough of a wake-up call?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
But she is. Play WW.

Just like Shiek is Zelda. in OOT.
Tetra's so different from Zelda I like to think they are different even though they are the same character. Tetra is just so much better than Toon Zelda.

And now my phone automatically puts Zelda after Toon. Yay

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Kinda funny how some people are now justifying Rosalina, when just before her reveal everybody pretty much couldn't see her as anything else but a Peach clone.

Not that I'm saying that Toon Zelda wouldn't be a clone, but still. :rolleyes:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I'm just banking on the fact newcomers won't be clones.

Again I don't care for a Zelda newcomer, and I don't think they'll be one. but if there is TZ+tetra will be the choice clone or not.

D

Deleted member

Tetra is rather distinct and has her own identity.

She was raised as Tetra and refuses to play the "Zelda" role she was born into.
Hell, we only see her as "Zelda" toward the end of Wind Waker, and she was pretty much forced into it until the King of Hyrule died.

I'm just banking on the fact newcomers won't be clones.
Source?
Or is it pretty much the same logic people had pre-Brawl that worked out so well for them? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Source?
Or is it pretty much the same logic people had pre-Brawl that worked out so well for them? :rolleyes:
Its basically an assumption. Which is what everyone does on here, there are no "sources" until after the game is well released.

None of the newcomers have been clones, I don't think TZ+tetra would buck that trend. Assuming that TZ is the character of choice.

Tetra is rather distinct and has her own identity.

She was raised as Tetra and refuses to play the "Zelda" role she was born into.
Hell, we only see her as "Zelda" toward the end of Wind Waker, and she was pretty much forced into it until the King of Hyrule died.
Why was Toon zelda considered for brawl then? and with the wind waker HD remake and wind waker link confirmed, why wouldn't sakurai go back to a TZ+Tetra concept? And since when is sakurai "logical" when making character choices? Ridley was a logical choice, no playable ridley in brawl.

Anyway, i'd love to go back and forth on this.... but there's really no point. You can laugh in my face if standalone tetra/clone TZ is confirmed. I'm not really an advocate for the character, we'll just wait see when the game goes gold. (I expect no Zelda newcomer btw) Good night.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Toon Zelda is mainly clone filler considering that's what she was to be in Brawl. "toon_sheik" is more likely to be a literal toon Sheik than "code" for Tetra. (especially since Brawl's file names are rather straightforward; if it was Tetra, the file would be "tetra").

If Toon Zelda is in the game, Toon Zelda is a clone. By what fabric of logic would Toon Link be a clone but not Toon Zelda?

It's better to have Tetra by herself. Best represents what she's supposed to represent (because as stated before, she's barely "Zelda" in her appearances), and is unlikely to be a clone while ripping off another character's gimmick.
If instead, Tetra takes over the Smash-original Toon Sheik role, Tetra's going to be a "toon Sheik", wasting any potential for uniqueness.

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
I'm feeling pretty optimistic when it comes to clone newcomers too, actually. I dunno, I can maybe see a semi-clone or two happening, and I'm not expecting Brawl clones to be mercilessly axed, but Sakurai's approach to newcomers so far seems more intent on creating unique new movesets. I'm betting on all of the newcomers bringing something new into the mix.

... Granted, it could just be that he's only showing off the most interesting characters to generate hype, while in reality the final roster may introduce clones all the same.

Tetra's got exciting potential for a pirate-themed moveset, but is held back by Toon Zelda. And Sakurai may not even see much in Tetra to begin with - he did initially intend to spawn Toon Shiek out of thin air instead. I wanna be hopeful about Tetra, since she's one of my favorite characters, but her chances seem kinda sketchy, and I'd rather her not show up at all if she's gonna be a clone (or worse, Toon Shiek).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So.... we got this new rumor...

Looks like you got your wish.

From GameFAQs - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68237872
"I know I'm going to get flamed for this but I know some information about Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Super Smash Bros for 3DS. I'm not a prophet. I'm not a troll. And I will ignore everyone who calls me one. I'm just a real big fan of the series who has some insider info to share. Now that that's out of the way, I will tell you some tidbits.

King Dedede will be revealed on January 10. The day before Kirby Triple Deluxe is released in Japan.

Diddy Kong will be revealed on February 13th. The day of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze's release in Japan.

There is a DKCR3D stage in the 3DS version. This was seen in the 1st trailer. It's a scrolling stage that constantly scrolls to the right. However, sometimes goes in diagonal directions. It's a real interesting stage and so far, it's the only one in Smash history to act like it! The music is to die for as well. It even has a couple of tracks from the Donkey Kong Land games!

The Wii U will have a generic DKCR stage that takes no physical cues from Tropical Freeze. However, there is talk on getting music from that game. We already have music from all main DKC games that have been released so far on this stage though. We even have a couple of tracks from DK64 It is a standard stage with no stage hazards. Rambi makes a background cameo though. As do a couple of Tikis. Graphically, it's looks stunning. I'm sure it's gonna be a favorite.

Orange Grenades are a new explosive item. They bounce on the ground when thrown and explode after a certain amount of time! There is a Funky Kong AT as well. He's still in the debugging process though, so he may be changed up a bit.

Dr. Mario is in the game somehow. I won't give out specifics just yet, but it's a lot of fun! I really enjoy the decision.

The Lorr Starcutter is a stage on the Wii U version. It works kind of like Coneria. It's layout and functionality is much different but the basic concept is the same. The background is stunning though. You fly through several locations from Return to Dreamland. You even fly to Another Dimension! Lots of Kirby Air Ride and Kirby's Return to Dreamland music plays on it.

While I'm talking about music, the number of songs is significantly higher than Brawl's. However, most of the songs are direct ports of songs from games instead of new remixes. This is very noticeable when looking at Mario Galaxy and Dr. Wily's Castle. Don't worry though. There are a LOT of songs on Mario Galaxy and Dr. Wily's Castle.

Well, there ya have it. That should tide you over. And to answer future questions.

Yes. Yes, I do know more.

But I don't plan on sharing it. Not now at least. Hope you have fun anticipating this stuff! :D"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This may just be the shortest leaker-imposed deadline between a leak and the alleged reveal of a character to date?
Only bringing this up for two reasons.

1. It's the shortest deadline to date. Quite literally next week.
2. It's all actually plausible...

What do you guys think?

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Going back to this post
so seeing how the topic is now pokemon i got a question, what do you think are newcomer pokemon that actually have a chance (mewtwo excluded) the only one i can think of is zoroarck
None, really. I don't feel like there are any that stand out, especially when compared to Mewtwo and the veterans. Meowth, Blaziken, and Zoroark are all Pokemon that I'd say have a chance if they were to add a newcomer, but in the long run, none of them will most likely make it in when they have those 5 to compete with.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm curious to what extent Sakurai will consider the non-Mewtwo Forbidden 7 in this new game. On one hand, they were planned in some capacity, but on the other, none of them jumps out as having the potential for a moveset anywhere close to the level of what we've seen from Mega Man, Villager, and Rosalina thus far.

Already commented on that leak in the Leaks thread; we'll find out whether or not to outright dismiss it in a few days, and beyond that, it'll take some of the non-character content coming true for me to start believing it.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
So.... we got this new rumor...

Only bringing this up for two reasons.

1. It's the shortest deadline to date. Quite literally next week.
2. It's all actually plausible...

What do you guys think?
Basic assumptions people here make about promotion= a character. No big details just wants, and he's probably banking doc mario will be an alt. (I think its someone from smashboards trolling again.)

I don't believe this. its gamefaqs, zero the brawl leaker is long gone, no true leaker would ever post there anymore.

I see some smashboarders posting on there.... lol johnknight....

I'm sorry golden, didn't mean to quote again.... new smashboards still needs that fixed.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Posted this in the SSB4 Rumors and Leaks thread, but I might as well post my thoughts on this new "leak" here as well.

I will admit that this is one of the more believable "leaks", although that's not saying much as the King Dedede and Diddy Kong reveal dates mentioned in the "leak" seem easily guessable, and he might be hoping to use that to his advantage in hopes of getting many others to believe the leak for a decent amount of time, though there is no way to prove or disprove the rumor as of yet. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But why the day before triple deluxe? That's a really odd day.
Apparently Triple Deluxe is released on the 11th, which is a Saturday.

So the day before it might not be that far fetched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom