• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
How do we know that anything will be coming out of the hole? They could very well be aesthetic. The original quote from Sakurai implies that Ridley will appear in game, but it does not tell us how. It may be as a stage hazard, it may be as a playable character, it may be as an assist trophy, it may be as a boss. The fact of the matter is that we don't know. And, with us having been shown so many pictures of the Pyrosphere without Ridley, I am inclined to believe that he is not in the stage hazard role this time around.
See, he posted this :
"Pic of the day. Out of the blue, here's a new stage--the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second…"

And then he posted this sometime later for no apparent reason :
"Pic of the day. Inside the corridor along one of the walls in Pyrosphere, a view that's really not visible in-game. You can't tell from the picture, but it's actually a gigantic open space."

The hole that Ridley made.

A "Gigantic open space", most likely fit for a large enemy "From Samus's past."

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Gameplay wise Meowth is about as bad a pick as you can get. He literally has no moves or potential compared to our other top potential candidates gameplay-wise.
Scratching.
Coin shooting.
Team Rocket Gadgets.

No one else in smash has done this before.
That means he is unique.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
So he copy and pasted the same article from 2006 where he said Brawl would come out sometime in 2007=???
If he still had the file, and he copied it, it wouldn't read this :
"I resolve to complete development on Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U and release it in 2014."
For one, it doesn't say 2007 anywhere on it.

http://www.n-europe.com/news/sakurai-resolves-to-complete-smash-bros-for-2014-release

Not sure why I went to a European website to get it, but whatever. It's all over the news for SSB4.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Scratching.
Coin shooting.
Team Rocket Gadgets.

No one else in smash has done this before.
That means he is unique.
Scratching=??? Bowser, Wolf, and Jigglypuff have done this, and Diddy Kong could do it as well.

Coin shooting=??? Really=??? What about that is different from other projectiles=???

Team Rocket Gadgets=??? C'mon, what does that even mean=??? Seriously, why couldn't Weezing, Rattata, Koffing, Muk, Grimer, Ekans, Arbok, Raticate, etc. get those moves=???

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
Team Rocket Gadgets=??? C'mon, what does that even mean=??? Seriously, why couldn't Weezing, Rattata, Koffing, Muk, Grimer, Ekans, Arbok, Raticate, etc. get those moves=???
Hate to tell you that these Pokemon listed happen to not talk or get into Team Rocket's plans. Though I'm indifferent about Meowth.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Scratching=??? Bowser, Wolf, and Jigglypuff have done this, and Diddy Kong could do it as well.

Coin shooting=??? Really=??? What about that is different from other projectiles=???

1. Yeah, but we don't have a small agile character that can do that, and it doesn't play a. Large role in those characters moves.

2. It can play a different role somehow, it depends on how Sakurai can work it.

3. Because it would look awkward having them do it, and they are not known for always being with Team Rocket.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hate to tell you that these Pokemon listed happen to not talk or get into Team Rocket's plans. Though I'm indifferent about Meowth.
Yeah, but Team Rocket have those Pokémon commonly, along with Zubat, Goldbat, Crowbat, etc.
If he still had the file, and he copied it, it wouldn't read this :
"I resolve to complete development on Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U and release it in 2014."
For one, it doesn't say 2007 anywhere on it.

http://www.n-europe.com/news/sakurai-resolves-to-complete-smash-bros-for-2014-release
Not sure why I went to a European website to get it, but whatever. It's all over the news for SSB4.
What I was talking about was BRAWL!

Brawl was "2007, 2007, 2007, 2007!" Yet, it got delayed... twice worldwide, thrice in parts of the world, and it came out in 2008.

Also, resolved doesn't mean it's set in stone. He sounds worried he'll miss the date, and delay these 2 games like he did Melee and Brawl.

The Smash Dojo site still says "Expected Release: 2014". Not "Release: 2014".

In other words, what Sakurai and the Smash Dojo says are merely hopes. Dreams. Wishes. Nothing definitive.

Trust me, in a few months, you'll see what I mean. Smash Bros. games are always delayed, and we got 2 of 'em this time. Delays are all but confirmed.

Natz~

Full of Hugs and Fire~
i think meowth would have been fun...in 64.
now i would rather keep jiggs and get a different poke newcomer

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
PROJECTILE
FALCON PUNCHES
I need these. The world needs these.

First time posting in this segment, but I just honestly doubt we'll ever see another F-ZERO playable character in Smash, I couldn't help but wonder who'd Nintendo consider.
Well,who would you want to see? I like Black Shadow more. He reminds me of a classic comic book villain, much like Falcon reminds me of a superhero. But Goroh would be easier to make more unique character I feel. So I'd like to see either of them.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
What version of Jigglypuff and Diddy Kong were you using?
Jigglypuff's forward air I am pretty sure is referred to as "Scratch", if not Slap.

And I said Diddy Kong "could" use scratch, since monkeys have claws.
How can Jigglypuff even scratch?
It has nails.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
Yeah, but Team Rocket have those Pokémon commonly, along with Zubat, Goldbat, Crowbat, etc.

What I was talking about was BRAWL!

Brawl was "2007, 2007, 2007, 2007!" Yet, it got delayed... twice worldwide, thrice in parts of the world, and it came out in 2008.

Also, resolved doesn't mean it's set in stone. He sounds worried he'll miss the date, and delay these 2 games like he did Melee and Brawl.

The Smash Dojo site still says "Expected Release: 2014". Not "Release: 2014".

In other words, what Sakurai and the Smash Dojo says are merely hopes. Dreams. Wishes. Nothing definitive.

Trust me, in a few months, you'll see what I mean. Smash Bros. games are always delayed, and we got 2 of 'em this time. Delays are all but confirmed.
I realized you meant Brawl.

And I believe that though this game has better graphics, it has :
A bigger development team
Barely any cutscenes
No Adventure Mode
Around the same amount or less characters the Brawl
Limitations due to the 3DS having less storage space

Development started in 2012. With less to cover than Brawl, and a much bigger team, why should it take longer than the 2 year development course every other game went through?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
1. Yeah, but we don't have a small agile character that can do that, and it doesn't play a. Large role in those characters moves.

2. It can play a different role somehow, it depends on how Sakurai can work it.

3. Because it would look awkward having them do it, and they are not known for always being with Team Rocket.
I could say any and all that for any and all potential playable characters.

You gotta be specific with this kind of information.

And saying "Sakurai can work it" is a cop out. Sakurai could have a fighting turd (and half of you would accept it, even after Project M outdid what Brawl did in so many insane ways). That would be "original". But would it be fun or unique in a way that keeps you coming years later=???

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
Apparently you weren't here for the Ness "until now" situation, but you assume everything Sakurai says literally has to mean something.

You know, like how he said the Villager isn't a fighter=??? :rolleyes:

The fact you say otherwise really shows how ignorant to the truth and the difference of them are.

Seriously, one is confirmed for something, one isn't. In psychology this is logic that almost all humans understand by the age of 8 or 9.
Woah, calm down, man. I'm not strictly comparing the two scenarios; I know they're different. I just think Ridley's chances are often overexaggerated, and that evidence against his inclusion is often blatantly ignored or aggressively dismissed, while other characters aren't given the same treatment.

And no, the Villager statement doesn't really apply here. That statement was made long before Smash 4 was even in development. Sakurai had plenty of time to mull over it, and Animal Crossing grew enormously as a franchise between then and Villager's roster placement. The commentary accompanying the Pyrosphere screenshot was made literally during the development of the game in question.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Barely any cutscenes
No Adventure Mode

Development started in 2012. With less to cover than Brawl, and a much bigger team, why should it take longer than the 2 year development course every other game went through?
I would agree with this logic...

...if it was just one game. But it isn't. They're making two, both of which will likely play very different.

And yes, the 3DS' limitations and issues will cause a further delay, unless Sakurai wants to sacrifice the product value of Smash Wii U, which Nintendo has as the highest priority (and I imagine the team does, too), given the state of how it can tip the scales into Nintendo's side.

If Sakurai and co. blows it by compromising Smash WiiU for Smash 3DS, he'll probably be kept away from Smash Bros... forever.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Barely any cutscenes
No Adventure Mode

Small correction. We only lack a story mode with cut-scenes. For a silly reason too. But having an Adventure mode similar to Melee was not ruled out yet. Unless if something was announced to say otherwise.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
I would agree with this logic...

...if it was just one game. But it isn't. They're making two, both of which will likely play very different.

And yes, the 3DS' limitations and issues will cause a further delay, unless Sakurai wants to sacrifice the product value of Smash Wii U, which Nintendo has as the highest priority (and I imagine the team does, too), given the state of how it can tip the scales into Nintendo's side.

If Sakurai and co. blows it by compromising Smash WiiU for Smash 3DS, he'll probably be kept away from Smash Bros... forever.
Why would the same game on different consoles confirmed to be the same play differently? Use your head, my friend.

They'll just delay the 3DS one and release the Wii U one in a situation like that. Besides, the Wii U needs that to happen.

And don't say Sakurai must be kept away from SSB, he's the rightful creator of it. If he goes it goes with him.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Jigglypuff's forward air I am pretty sure is referred to as "Scratch", if not Slap.
Who the hell calls Jigglypuff's forwar air scratch or slap when its forward air involves it kicking?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
See, he posted this :
"Pic of the day. Out of the blue, here's a new stage--the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second…"

And then he posted this sometime later for no apparent reason :
"Pic of the day. Inside the corridor along one of the walls in Pyrosphere, a view that's really not visible in-game. You can't tell from the picture, but it's actually a gigantic open space."

The hole that Ridley made.

A "Gigantic open space", most likely fit for a large enemy "From Samus's past."
Again, I personally think this is purely aesthetic. I may very well be wrong, but that's what I currently believe.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Where? There's no nails showing in any of it's sprites, artwork or 3D models.
There's also no mention of nails in any of its Pokedex entries.
It has fingers, doesn't it=???

Besides, it uses Scratch as a move in Pokémon.

Regardless, the ability to "Scratch" is not that big of a deal in Smash. It's not that unique.

One move (plus an uninspired Payday) doesn't make Meowth suddenly a great idea.

Honestly, you Meowth supporters are blinded by nostalgia and fanboyism.

You think the WFT, Villager, and Rosalina+Luma would open the eyes of the blind, but it does not.

Literally, we have gone from "hey, we got characters that definitely are unlike any character in Smash before" to "hey! Let's add a like minded strawman character that adds nothing of value that really doesn't change anyone's opinion of the game!"

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
Small correction. We only lack a story mode with cut-scenes. For a silly reason too. But having an Adventure mode similar to Melee was not ruled out yet. Unless if something was announced to say otherwise.
Ya, but an Adventure Mode like the one in Melee isn't anything compared to the Subspace Emissary.

Regardless, the ability to "Scratch" is not that big of a deal in Smash. It's not that unique.

One move (plus an uninspired Payday) doesn't make Meowth suddenly a great idea.

Honestly, you Meowth supporters are blinded by nostalgia and fanboyism.

You think the WFT, Villager, and Rosalina+Luma would open the eyes of the blind, but it does not.

Literally, we have gone from "hey, we got characters that definitely are unlike any character in Smash before" to "hey! Let's add a like minded strawman character that adds nothing of value that really doesn't change anyone's opinion of the game!"
John, the only one acting under fanboyism here is you.

With all do respect, I say you take a second to calm down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why would the same game on different consoles confirmed to be the same play differently? Use your head, my friend.
I agree with this logic, but Sakurai calls them "versions", not me. And versions implies same day release dates, possibly for the purpose of marketing a 3DS/WiiU bundle with both consoles and Smash for both consoles.
They'll just delay the 3DS one and release the Wii U one in a situation like that. Besides, the Wii U needs that to happen.
I would agree, but again, see my previous logic.
And don't say Sakurai must be kept away from SSB, he's the rightful creator of it. If he goes it goes with him.
Kirby was his rightful creation, but it's a hundred times better with HAL just running the show.

Honestly, I think HAL would run a better show than just Sakurai, don't you=???

Sakurai did a terrible job running the show with Brawl. He tried to do everything, including art and graphic design, in which he has no experience at.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

That clearly has fingers...
Also Jigglypuff can't use scratch in the Pokemon games.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My dream is for Meowth to be finally playable in Smash.

If people are still doubting Meowth's moveset potential because of muh uniqueness, then why cannot Meowth be paired with Arbok and Weezing? Instead of "Newcomer: Meowth", we get "Newcomer: Team Rocket". Like the motto goes on about doubling the trouble... Meowth would be in a team with either Arbok or Weezing. They could be like a cross between Rosalina & Luma and the Pokemon Trainer... where Jessie and James take turns summoning and recalling Arbok and Weezing to support Meowth. Both Poison-type Pokemon would have their pros and cons... Arbok specializes in long range attacks and grappling... Weezing specializes in aerial combat and zoning... when Meowth is alone, he specializes in close combat and speed.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
I agree with this logic, but Sakurai calls them "versions", not me. And versions implies same day release dates, possibly for the purpose of marketing a 3DS/WiiU bundle with both consoles and Smash for both consoles.

I would agree, but again, see my previous logic.

Kirby was his rightful creation, but it's a hundred times better with HAL just running the show.

Honestly, I think HAL would run a better show than just Sakurai, don't you=???

Sakurai did a terrible job running the show with Brawl. He tried to do everything, including art and graphic design, in which he has no experience at.
Sakurai actually stated that he might have to release the Wii U one before the 3DS one.

HAL is no longer a part of the development of SSB, and he was basically cheated out of Kirby.

And I thought Brawl was awesome, to be honest.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Doubt that last statement. Smash makes good money for Nintendo, they'll find someone to carry on Sakurai's load if need be. Whether or not someone will do as good as Sakurai is another question though.

Ya, but an Adventure Mode like the one in Melee isn't anything compared to the Subspace Emissary.
I know that. But you're previous post had stated that no Adventure mode was in Smash 4.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Thank you for your patience. We have customized to roster to suit everyone's needs. We wanted to include more for even more enjoyment, but it seems that we literally could not include more characters. Enjoy :)

Ultimate Roster Ver. 2 Roster.png

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Do you know something about Sakurai that we don't Saturn? That's certainly what it's starting to sound like.
What the hell are you talking about? The fact that Sakurai hardly follows a straight pattern is common sense.

You say "Lol no" to Sakurai not always following strait patterns?
You say "Lol no" to the fact that Sakurai revealed veterans on dates related to them and then didn't for some? You say "Lol no" to Sakurai stating what is an Assist Trophy all the time, and then suddenly deciding not to? You say "Lol no" to Sakurai saying Villager is not feasible and then adding him in Smash 4?

Do you just "Lol no" to hardcore FACT?

I do not deny the possibilities of Ridley.
Who is? Who said you were? Do you even understand what I'm saying at all when I talk to you?

But as I have said, there is no definitive answer at the moment. Even though Sakurai was referring to Ridley, there is simply no proof of anything yet.
Listen to me very closely
I do not think or ever thought or even said that this quote from Sakurai definitively PROOVES anything!

If you think he isn't going to be playable, that's fine. But don't make it seem like the stuff we have been presented says more than it does. Because again, there is no definitive direction, or information present that makes one thing more likely than another.
Yeah, if you don't think the comment Sakurai made even makes it remotely LIKELY that Ridley MAY be a stage hazard then there is no use talking to you. Not that there was considering you blatantly tell me I said things I never said, and clearly don't even listen to what I say.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
My dream is for Meowth to be finally playable in Smash.

If people are still doubting Meowth's moveset potential because of muh uniqueness, then why cannot Meowth be paired with Arbok and Weezing? Instead of "Newcomer: Meowth", we get "Newcomer: Team Rocket". Like the motto goes on about doubling the trouble... Meowth would be in a team with either Arbok or Weezing. They could be like a cross between Rosalina & Luma and the Pokemon Trainer... where Jessie and James take turns summoning and recalling Arbok and Weezing to support Meowth. Both Poison-type Pokemon would have their pros and cons... Arbok specializes in long range attacks and grappling... Weezing specializes in aerial combat and zoning... when Meowth is alone, he specializes in close combat and speed.
If we got a Team Rocket character I'd want it to be Gym Leader Sabrina. (She was the Executive Commander of Team Rocket, basically the second-in-command).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
John, the only one acting under fanboyism here is you.

With all do respect, I say you take a second to calm down.
What about me screams fanboyism=???

Am I hardcore defending a character like someone threatened my family=???

I don't care about any of these characters outside of Smash. Really. I just want the best game possible, whether via an official release or modding viva la Project M. Period. Characters are just tools for movesets, playstyles, and skillset. Some are better than others in terms of potential. Those are the ones that create the best gameplay. Gameplay is the focus of the Smash, and the sole big thing for it.

Thus, these character choices matter, because if we get a bad choice (like ROB in Brawl) or one is poorly made (like Meta Knight or Pit in Brawl, or Mewtwo in Melee), then that make the game worse.

Seriously, you need to read. I am calm, and thinking from a purely scientific and logical POV. The fact you think I'm not shows you have quite limited reading comprehension.
Also Jigglypuff can't use scratch in the Pokemon games.
Then I guess I'm wrong... probably because I haven't used a Jigglypuff in battle since like Red version!!! :rotfl:

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
I know that. But you're previous post had stated that no Adventure mode was in Smash 4.
I sincerely apologize for my typo.

What about me screams fanboyism=???

Am I hardcore defending a character like someone threatened my family=???

I don't care about any of these characters outside of Smash. Really. I just want the best game possible, whether via an official release or modding viva la Project M. Period. Characters are just tools for movesets, playstyles, and skillset. Some are better than others in terms of potential. Those are the ones that create the best gameplay. Gameplay is the focus of the Smash, and the sole big thing for it.

Thus, these character choices matter, because if we get a bad choice (like ROB in Brawl) or one is poorly made (like Meta Knight or Pit in Brawl, or Mewtwo in Melee), then that make the game worse.

Seriously, you need to read. I am calm, and thinking from a purely scientific and logical POV. The fact you think I'm not shows you have quite limited reading comprehension.

Then I guess I'm wrong... probably because I haven't used a Jigglypuff in battle since like Red version!!! :rotfl:
You were just calling a lot of people here ignorant, you indirectly called one guy 8 years old.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sakurai actually stated that he might have to release the Wii U one before the 3DS one.
I've never seen such a statement.

Anyone got a link to such a statement=???
HAL is no longer a part of the development of SSB, and he was basically cheated out of Kirby.
No Sakurai wasn't. He didn't get a change for a Kirby game, it was released before he liked because the GameCube was failing (the advertising for that amazing console was terrible), and he quit. That and sequels wore on him. All in all, it was his choice.

Since then, HAL has done spectacular job with Kirby, and Kirby games these days are better than any Kirby games in the past.

And yeah, HAL was minimally involved with Brawl's development, which is why that game was the worst received, balanced, and built game in the series.

As for Smash For... HAL may be involved. Hopefully they are, because they know as much about how to make Smash as anybody, and when them and their top directors ran the show with Sakurai, it pushed the boundaries of gaming, and created something unique and magical gameplay-wise that may never be recreated again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom