• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This thread moves way too fast. I just woke up and there were 10 more pages since yesterday. Could anyone say what was discussed?

About anime/manga characters, they are a really remote possibility. Anyone expecting them is delusional.

@Zero2570: Is that Kirito from SAO in your avatar?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Her popularity certainly helped her, I'm not doubting that.

For her it was basically a combination of her popularity and potential. Without one of those factors she most likely would not have gotten in. I'd say the same is true for most possible newcomers. (aside from many retros and clones/semi-clones)
Makes me wonder if Cranky could actually stand out the most from over K. Rool and Dixie. :awesome:

Let's make a new topic, if there could only be one non-Nintendo character in the game, who would you choose?
My choice would easily be Goku.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well I saw that new year rosters were posted earlier so guess what I made!!
With a new year coming I figured it's time for a new roster.

Nothing ground breaking, just a new style appearance-wise and me looking at the roster in a different light (sort of despite, there only being like three changes).
Change #1: Roster buffed to 47/48 characters from 46 due to Rosalina.
Change #2: Muddy replaced Lip because I feel that Muddy has a lot more to offer gameplay wise with burrowing and whatnot. Would be an interesting ground controlling character.
Change #3: Newcomer icon is there because I couldn't think of anybody else that really fit on the chart. So it could literally be anything from a Zelda newcomer, Fire Emblem newcomer, Bandana Dee, 4th Third-Party character, another miscellaneous character, Dr. Kawashima, another retro character, or just the Random icon.

Everything else should be self-explanatory, only thing I feel like I have to mention is my lacking of confidence in Isaac specifically. But he's still there because this is the nation of why not.
Let's make a new topic, if there could only be one non-Nintendo game in the game, who would you choose?
Uh... do you mean character?

If that is the case, I'd probably pick the Heavy.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
With a new year coming I figured it's time for a new roster.

Nothing ground breaking, just a new style appearance-wise and me looking at the roster in a different light (sort of despite, there only being like three changes).
Change #1: Roster buffed to 47/48 characters from 46 due to Rosalina.
Change #2: Muddy replaced Lip because I feel that Muddy has a lot more to offer gameplay wise with burrowing and whatnot. Would be an interesting ground controlling character.
Change #3: Newcomer icon is there because I couldn't think of anybody else that really fit on the chart. So it could literally be anything from a Zelda newcomer, Fire Emblem newcomer, 4th Third-Party character, another miscellaneous character, or just the Random icon.

Everything else should be self-explanatory, only thing I feel like I have to mention is my lacking of confidence in Isaac specifically. But he's still there because this is the nation of why not.
Love the new design approach, now it looks more like the slots you see in Brawl.
I like the choice of Muddy Mole, I would wholeheartly agree with the roster if it is also has Sable too, assuming Sakurai is looking for Gameboy retros.
Neat roster overall.

Edit: I need to pay attention to my spelling often. :dizzy:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Love the new design approach, now it looks more like the slots you see in Brawl.
Yeah! It also looks a lot like a certain somebody's roster design too...
I like the choice of Muddy Mole, I would wholeheartly agree with the roster if it is also has Sable too, assuming Sakurai is looking for Gameboy retros.
Neat roster overall.
Well I can't really say I'd give the last spot to Sablé, but I really appreciate your input on Muddy. So thanks!
Edit: I need to pay attention to my spelling often. :dizzy:
Happens to all of us Blue, happens to all of us...

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Makes me wonder if Cranky could actually stand out the most from over K. Rool and Dixie. :awesome:

Let's make a new topic, if there could only be one non-Nintendo character in the game, who would you choose?
Caw ov Doody soldier:troll:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Manga characters will not be featured in Brawl =/= Manga characters will never be in Smash in the future.

Not saying it's likely to happen at this point (it wouldn't be a possibility until at least after this pair of games by what I see), and while Sakurai has brought up as early as the original Smash that characters outside of gaming media such as James Bond and Popeye (both being examples from Nintendo games) have licensing costs that aren't worth the hassle, he did say the same thing about non-Nintendo gaming characters as well, and we've had three of those so far.

EDIT: My point is, there will eventually be a time when "GOKU IN SMASH BROS.!" could be more than a fanboy's dream, just like what happened with "SONIC IN SMASH BROS.!".
Eh, I still don't think we'll ever see that happen. It's still a gaming crossover. I would personally rage if we saw Anime characters in Smash. They don't belong in the game. It's as simple as that.

I mean comparing Sonic to Goku is apples and oranges. Sonic is a titan sized 3rd party character in the gaming industry, Goku is a character from a TV show. I'd wager that we would get a reboot of the series before we see that happen.

Granted I know you said it isn't likely to happen, but I still resent the idea with a burning passion.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I thought Super Smash Bros. was more of a Nintendo crossover than a videogame crossover.
Well it has turned into one with the third parties. We don't even know if Sakurai will add anybody after Sonic, Mega Man, and Snake 3rd party wise. Not to mention Smash Bros. comes only once per console generation, so that makes it even more strict.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I think having only one manga/anime character is fine by me as the 4th "guest" character if it ever happens.
That said, I don't think we should expect over 4 third parties in the game. Do you guys think the amount of third parties in the game will still be 3 like Sakurai said during pre-Brawl.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
EDIT: Got rid of the link. :)
EDIT 2: Roster:
View attachment 5605
Time to roast this roster!
-48 Character. Not too small, but it could be 50.
-Newcomers for series that need them (Kirby?)
-Andy is a nice wild pick that isn't a Retro or WTF
-Not too many Retros, I like this roster.

9.5/10 for being mostly balanced with newcomer giveout.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
-44 Character. Not too small, but it could be 46.

9/10 for being mostly balanced with newcomer giveout.
There are 48 characters, though...

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
-44 Character. Not too small, but it could be 46.

9/10 for being mostly balanced with newcomer giveout.
Where are you getting 44 from? It has 48 characters.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Hey now, an Advance Wars rep isn't a "wild" pick. :p The odds are against us getting an AW rep, of course, but the series is popular and extensive enough to be a solid candidate for inclusion.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Hey now, an Advance Wars rep isn't a "wild" pick. :p The odds are against us getting an AW rep, of course, but the series is popular and extensive enough to be a solid candidate for inclusion.
My definition of "wild" is to say that it's a choice that people often overlook, not WTF. My apologies for any confusion. Take my roster. It has Viridi. That's a pick a lot of people don't often think about! I'm a Rachel Supporter in AW, but anything will do.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My definition of "wild" is to say that it's a choice that people often overlook, not WTF. My apologies for any confusion. Take my roster. It has Viridi. That's a pick a lot of people don't often think about! I'm a Rachel Supporter in AW, but anything will do.
I am quite ignorant of Advance Wars. It seems unlikely to have a character due to the fact it's exclusive to handhelds. Same as Isaac.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I am quite ignorant of Advance Wars. It seems unlikely to have a character due to the fact it's exclusive to handhelds. Same as Isaac.
Just because it's on handhelds doesn't mean it's unlikely though. :p
Besides he is also focusing on the 3DS version too, so we may get more characters that originated on handhelds.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
The Wars series overall is not exclusive to handhelds. Famicom Wars and Super Famicom Wars were released on the Famicom and Super Famicom respectively.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
It's also important to note that Advance Wars is just the US title. In Japan, Advance Wars: Dual Strike was known as Famicom Wars DS.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
When the first Smash came out, Pokemon was exclusive to handhelds, Stadium wasn't released, yet.
But at that time, Pokemon had a year to explode with worldwide fame, whereas if I started telling friends about Andy they'd be like, "who dat?"

Like I said, I don't know too much about it, it could be more popular, but I do know that the Wars series has been around since Famicom, and yet unlike Fire Emblem, there's no Wars character, so...

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
But at that time, Pokemon had a year to explode with worldwide fame, whereas if I started telling friends about Andy they'd be like, "who dat?"

Like I said, I don't know too much about it, it could be more popular, but I do know that the Wars series has been around since Famicom, and yet unlike Fire Emblem, there's no Wars character, so...
Well, it's the fact that Famicom Wars only just got to the US around the GBA Days. Back in Melee and 64, they weren't popular enough for Americans to really notice. Now, it's a different story.

D

Deleted member

Eh, I still don't think we'll ever see that happen. It's still a gaming crossover. I would personally rage if we saw Anime characters in Smash. They don't belong in the game. It's as simple as that.

I mean comparing Sonic to Goku is apples and oranges. Sonic is a titan sized 3rd party character in the gaming industry, Goku is a character from a TV show. I'd wager that we would get a reboot of the series before we see that happen.

Granted I know you said it isn't likely to happen, but I still resent the idea with a burning passion.
Prior to Brawl Smash was a "Nintendo crossover" and characters like Snake, Sonic, and Mega Man "didn't belong".
It's not exactly comparing apples to oranges. It's comparing a Red Delicious to a Granny Smith. Especially when Goku also is a titan-sized 3rd Party character in the gaming industry. He just happens to have originated in a manga series.

I don't want it to happen either, but it's going to happen at some point down the line.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't want it to happen either, but it's going to happen at some point down the line.
You really think so?
I thought I remembered Sakurai specifically saying no anime/manga characters.
I think having only one manga/anime character is fine by me as the 4th "guest" character if it ever happens.
That said, I don't think we should expect over 4 third parties in the game. Do you guys think the amount of third parties in the game will still be 3 like Sakurai said during pre-Brawl.
I don't remember Sakurai saying that, so...
Source pls.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
You really think so?

I don't remember Sakurai saying that, so...
Source pls.
http://smashboards.com/threads/samuraipandas-translation-thread-updated-11-1.72642/
#31-40: Non-Nintendo characters added into the game MUST have appeared on a Nintendo platform. They cannot be from a manga/anime. The tentative number of non-Nintendo characters to be added after Snake is 1-2, but this can still change.
He said the tentative number for third parties was 2-3, but now I see the phrase but it can still change, so we might get 4 if were lucky.
Also I think he just said specifically no anime/manga characters probably because of the fact he just got started with having guest characters.

D

Deleted member

You really think so?
I literally made an earlier post in the conversation that he said that about Brawl and that it doesn't necessarily mean future games also apply.
He also said in the past that non-Nintendo characters would not be featured, and we've had three of those so far.

It is unlikely we'd see someone like Goku in Smash Wii U/3DS, but next time around, it might be fair game.

http://smashboards.com/threads/samuraipandas-translation-thread-updated-11-1.72642/

He said the tentative number for third parties was 2-3, but now I see the phrase but it can still change, so we might get 4 if were lucky.
Also I think he just said specifically no anime/manga characters probably because of the fact he just got started with having guest characters.
If you actually click the link, what you quoted is not present.

In Highlights:
"#31-40: Non-Nintendo characters added into the game MUST have appeared on a Nintendo platform. The tentative number of non-Nintendo characters to be added is 1-2."
In Full Story:
"#31-40: Sakurai starts by saying there wont be any manga characters. Then he begins talking about other companies characters to appear in the game. Among other things, Sakurai says that the character MUST have appeared on a Nintendo platform before. And to literally translate the last sentence (keep in mind this is in reference to the characters from other companies): "Anyways, at most we'll add another 1-2 characters [after Snake], maybe?"'

Doesn't really change the point, but it's best to quote what's actually there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I literally made an earlier post in the conversation that he said that about Brawl and that it doesn't necessarily mean future games also apply.
He also said in the past that non-Nintendo characters would not be featured, and we've had three of those so far.

It is unlikely we'd see someone like Goku in Smash Wii U/3DS, but next time around, it might be fair game.
I think you're letting Smash Flash 2 and Smash Bros. Crusade get to you ;)

But yeah, there's absolutely no reason why Sakurai would consider Goku for Smash Bros. The only connection I can think of is that Namco Bandai makes DBZ games and they are also working on SSB4, but really, that's hardly a good reason.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332

And when that day comes, Smashboards would be in pure chaos. :troll: From having a huge cult of Goku fans, many of the veterans here would find it worse than when the Brawl roster was revealed.

I wouldn't expect him in the game after SSB3D/U, but maybe the installment after that.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
My bad, I simply quickly copied the quote from the NinDB forums instead, but it still gives credit to Samurai Panda. I think I'll bookmark the page in Smashboards for future reference.

I think you're letting Smash Flash 2 and Smash Bros. Crusade get to you ;)

But yeah, there's absolutely no reason why Sakurai would consider Goku for Smash Bros. The only connection I can think of is that Namco Bandai makes DBZ games and they are also working on SSB4, but really, that's hardly a good reason.
No not really, although he was a fantastic well-balanced character to play as in the game, the point was that anime/manga characters will probably make their way into the Nintendo crossover one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom