• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I think.... he'll just revive one, just like he did with pit. Retros are not more important than boneafied star characters. People would prefer King K Rool over a sable, and would provide more hype than a retro. I mean discovering that the king of kremlins is back is a promotion, and would have many people interested in the DK franchise again (if they weren't already).

I liked your blue anna better btw, the sable creeps me out.
It's because me and Louie are doing Muddy Mole avatars

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
that won't stop Sakurai from adding 2 retros so long as he wants 2.
But we don't know if he actually wants 2 retros.

I'm sure he knows about the popular requests.

Can we make it Ray 01? I always liked that design much more, but that's just me.

Edit: Also, what's this I hear about a speculator tourney?
Do you want to join? :p

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
What do you guys think about the chances of getting 2 retros?
Certainly a possibility, though I wouldn't know how likely it is that we'll get 2 or more myself, as again I don't know much about most possible retro newcomers.

But the people won't really affect Sakurai's decisions on the roster.
Well then what about characters like Wario? IIRC his popularity was a major reason for his inclusion. I'm certain requests are indeed taken into consideration.

You must not forget about Pokemon either. Popularity is one of the, if not the most important factor when it comes to adding Pokemon characters.

Anderceus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anderceus
3DS FC
0877-0236-8016
Just thought I'd throw this out there for all my fellow Diskun supporters: there was a Diskun hat available in the StreetPass Mii Plaza, so Nintendo has certainly not forgotten him.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
http://projectmgame.com/en/download

"Hackless Wii Zip"

From what I understand, that works on the Wii U.

Might want to double check though.

What about Ray Mk III people?
It works on Wii U, just make sure to put the SD card in after you go into the Wii Menu, if you don't the Wii U will try to delete the files as it's unrecognized. Project M leaves no trace on the non-homebrew version.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I don't mind joining, just don't expect anything amazing as I haven't played in a while and Sonic + online lag = I'm going to go over to the corner and cry.
Doesn't matter, anyone can join. Its a just for fun thing for smash speculators since I have never seen anyone do this. Its long overdue imo.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
In regards to popularity, I'd thought I'd point this out:

#201-210: Sakurai says in response to an email asking only for well-known characters (like Mario, Link, etc.) to appear in SSBB, "Asking only for popular characters to appear in Smash...doesn't get me excited"

Danial

Smash Rookie
Check out my top 5 list of smash bros charecters here : <removed link>

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Someone mentioned Ray? I'd like to see some Custom Robo character in Smash one day. Not sure if it would happen though. But the character has alot of weapons to work with. And he just looks really cool too. So if I were to pick someone from the N64 era, it would be him. Not that Saki is a bad choice either.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Doesn't mean he'll add retros though.

Wii fit trainer is not a retro, and she wasn't highly requested. I read this as he'll likely add characters that weren't highly requested than adding retros.
The point of the Wii Fit Trainer part was that she wasn't highly requested, just like retros, who are noticably quiet in the amount of requests. Don't expect every newcomer to based on popularity.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
GOKU FOR SMASH BROS!
<removed link>
Did you not read the Link?

Manga/anime characters will NEVER be in a smash bros game.

You were expecting a "get out" weren't you? Too bad, i'm 2 nice.

The point of the Wii Fit Trainer part was that she wasn't highly requested, just like retros, who are noticably quiet in the amount of requests. Don't expect every newcomer to based on popularity.
I wasn't expecting that, I'm a lyn supporter after all.

Just saying I don't expect a muddy mole or sable. Takamaru I can see but the others.... like jumpman? No.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
The opposite is also true. Don't expect every newcomer based on their lack of popularity.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Of course not, but that doesn't mean we'll suddenly be getting completely obscure and unpopular characters either, it goes both ways.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Of course popularity isn't the most important factor. I'm well aware it isn't. And potential is a large factor, but it's still no good reason to add a bunch of retro characters that aren't very well known or liked in comparison to characters like K. Rool or Ridley.

I've found it to be obvious that Rosalina's moveset and gameplay potential is likely the most important factor regarding her inclusion. Potential is something I look into for nearly every possible newcomer (with the exception of certain possible clones. Not all possible clones and semi-clones, mind you.). For example I'd expect K. Rool to be included not just because of his importance and popularity, but also because of his potential, he seems like a character right up Sakurai's alley.

Last edited:

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
Rosalina was actually a fan (and developer) favorite character. She was very popular for the small amount of games she was in.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Well, I would agree that her popularity helped her inclusion, but was certainly not the main reason for her inclusion.

Sakurai saw her gameplay and moveset potential, in that regard she seems to have stood out much more than the other possible Mario newcomers.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
Yeah, but I doubt she would have been looked at in the first place if the fans didn't like her. Pretty sure that's why they decided to bring her back into other games recently, too. Her popularity endured past the Galaxy games.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Still wanna know how popular Rosalina was in Japan.

Real curious about it...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah, but I doubt she would have been looked at in the first place if the fans didn't like her. Pretty sure that's why they decided to bring her back into other games recently, too. Her popularity endured past the Galaxy games.
Her popularity certainly helped her, I'm not doubting that.

For her it was basically a combination of her popularity and potential. Without one of those factors she most likely would not have gotten in. I'd say the same is true for most possible newcomers. (aside from many retros and clones/semi-clones)

D

Deleted member

Did you not read the Link?

Manga/anime characters will NEVER be in a smash bros game.
Manga characters will not be featured in Brawl =/= Manga characters will never be in Smash in the future.

Not saying it's likely to happen at this point (it wouldn't be a possibility until at least after this pair of games by what I see), and while Sakurai has brought up as early as the original Smash that characters outside of gaming media such as James Bond and Popeye (both being examples from Nintendo games) have licensing costs that aren't worth the hassle, he did say the same thing about non-Nintendo gaming characters as well, and we've had three of those so far.

EDIT: My point is, there will eventually be a time when "GOKU IN SMASH BROS.!" could be more than a fanboy's dream, just like what happened with "SONIC IN SMASH BROS.!".

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom