• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Once again, the Impa argument has gone in circles.

For Fire Emblem: Marth, Ike and Avatar/Robin is my current wishlist. I have explained this on the Fire Emblem thread, so I'm not bothering with explanations again.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Expect what has been done before... You are a prime example of exactly that I want to prove wrong so badly. :)

No it was poorly executed in BOTH Brawl and Melee. Same like how Bowser's style obviously didn't work for him, and he got retooled as a result. Am I snapping you out of your comfort zone yet?
Bowser doesn't exactly have a new style. He just got new animations and some new attacks, but the general feel of a bulky heavyweight character is still there.

Removing the transformation mechanic from Zelda is a far bigger change than those done to Bowser and Pit. They aren't even comparable.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Too much focus on Zelda and Fire Emblem.

NEW TOPIC:

FIRE EMBLEM. SCREW IT ALL.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Do you
I know that other veterans like me and Ismar were at Brawl Central back then, I imagine a couple of other people around here were there too since it was quite the big community.
Do you remember someone on there who went by LittleMac? cause that was me, I stopped going on around the same time brawl came out I think I checked back here and there but mostly I was part of the pre-brawl speculation stuff.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Zelda is potentially already more unique with the Phantom attack than she ever was as Zelda / Sheik. Maybe not so in Melee, but definitely now! You said it removes something that makes her unique, I disagree fully. Zelda / Sheik was a reason to add the characters, but now Zelda has established herself as far more than her Ocarina of Time self. Her roles have became ever increasing, up to the point of getting playable herself, as Phantom Zelda. ;)

Waluigi and Ridley are more hindered than Impa, cause unlike them, Impa could already use a base of an excisting character: Sheik. And replace her effectively. Waluigi also has almost nothing to base himself out of outside of a cluster**** of cameo apearance 'abilities' nobody really cares about, and Ridley is an extremely hard character to programm in the first place.

You may think it's stupid, but it happend before with Toon Link and Young Link. Even Mewtwo had a lot of his moves given to other characters. Take a good look at Charizard's Forward Tilt. Lucas's Down Smash. Lucario's Aura Sphere and Forward Smash. Wolf's Forward Aerial. Make your own conclusion out of that. Ike getting Eruption to despite never showing fire abilities...

Yet you insist it would be THE MOST RIDICULOUS THING EVER as so many around here do. :rolleyes:

Most of you rely purely on some sort of psuedo logic saying : 'Expect what has been done' and sorry, I don't roll that way.
Um, this is towards me, right?
Young Link to Toon Link is understandable when you consider the fact that essentially they are both Young Link. Toon Link is just another form.
And Mewtwo's moveset was scattered among characters, not given specifically to one character like you are recommending to be done with Sheik and Impa.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bowser doesn't exactly have a new style. He just got new animations and some new attacks, but the general feel of a bulky heavyweight character is still there.

Removing the transformation mechanic from Zelda is a far bigger change than those done to Bowser and Pit. They aren't even comparable.
It are buffs and overall redirections of their characters. Sheik's removal would be a redirection of Zelda's style.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It are buffs and overall redirections of their characters. Sheik's removal would be a redirection of Zelda's style.
It's still possible to balance Zelda and Sheik so that they complement each other, by retooling both movesets. It's a possibility and what I think Sakurai may be aiming for.

Removing Sheik and replacing her with Impa isn't the only solution to Zelda's problem...

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The way I saw Impa was only as Zelda's bodyguard, which isn't that impressive and pretty minor to me during my playthroughs of OoT and Skyward Sword. I appreciate the movement of Impa, but what the heck would she bring new since she is a Sheikah, I think both Sheik and Impa would act very similarly.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
The way I saw Impa was only as Zelda's bodyguard, which isn't that impressive and pretty minor to me during my playthroughs of OoT and Skyward Sword. I appreciate the movement of Impa, but what the heck would she bring new since she is a Sheikah, I think both Sheik and Impa would act very similarly.
Additionally, Diddy expects Impa, an old bodyguard. So Toadsworth makes just as much sense with his logic. Except Toadsworth would be unique. :troll: So :sheilda: forever!

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
We know we all like Ike.

Roy your boy? Or is Chrom the bomb? Maybe Lyn can win? And Lucina can.....I've got nothing for Lucina sorry.
Lucina serves a subpoena? I don't know.

Based off yeah. Fact is, he's not remotely as creepy as Tingle, and neither does he resemble him greatly in his personality. He's also a character who's only the host of a mini game series so... Hardly relevant. :rolleyes:

In that sence, Impaz counts as a Impa appearance to.
Well, I believe that in Hyrule Historia, they stated Impaz was originally supposed to be an incarnation of Impa, but that aspect was removed last-second. And I believed that Purlo was originally "a redesigned incarnation of Tingle" as well, but I don't have the book with me at the moment. My only point was that you said they excluded him from Twilight Princess, yet he made a semi-appearance.

CalumG

Smash Lord
However, this problem may end up working to his advantage. Because the hatebase cries and whines so loud, Tingle is a widely recognized character. We're running out of characters to add... it won't be long until Tingle elicits a reaction more powerful than any other potential newcomer. Of course, I may be wrong and you may be right, and this may completely screw him over.
This is a point I very much agree with, though I don't bring it up frequently. People frequently cite Tingle's "hatebase" (I hate that word) as a reason for his exclusion, but from a marketing point of view, Tingle would actually be a great addition. After a couple of legitimate newcomer reveals, a reveal of Tingle would be pretty controversial and stir up the same kind of word-of-mouth that Wii Fit Trainer did on her initial announcement. Whether you love him or hate him, it can't be denied that Tingle would get people talking about Smash 4 in a way that few characters could.

The term 'all publicity is good publicity' comes to mind here.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
This is a point I very much agree with, though I don't bring it up frequently. People frequently cite Tingle's "hatebase" (I hate that word) as a reason for his exclusion, but from a marketing point of view, Tingle would actually be a great addition.

I will agree with this. The hatebase (Which I am a part of) gives Tingle lots of publicity, which does go in his favor...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Do you remember someone on there who went by LittleMac? cause that was me, I stopped going on around the same time brawl came out I think I checked back here and there but mostly I was part of the pre-brawl speculation stuff.
Nah, my memory pertaining to other users is mostly clouded, it's a long time ago. I myself also left once Brawl was out. Btw, you remind me that Geno was also ahead of Ridley in popularity.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
This is a point I very much agree with, though I don't bring it up frequently. People frequently cite Tingle's "hatebase" (I hate that word) as a reason for his exclusion, but from a marketing point of view, Tingle would actually be a great addition. After a couple of legitimate newcomer reveals, a reveal of Tingle would be pretty controversial and stir up the same kind of word-of-mouth that Wii Fit Trainer did on her initial announcement. Whether you love him or hate him, it can't be denied that Tingle would get people talking about Smash 4 in a way that few characters could.

I believe that, if a character like Tingle was introduced, Smash would be getting a lot of attention. Think back to VGX. Although everyone was heavily disappointed by Cranky Kong's official reveal, it was the most popular thing at that awards show. Cranky Kong trended on Google for at least a day or so. Now, imagine TINGLE, a rather hated character in the West, appear. Smash Bros. would get so much attention, everybody would be talking about it. Casuals, hardcores, even Xbox fans would be talking about Tingle.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Nah, my memory pertaining to other users is mostly clouded, it's a long time ago. I myself also left once Brawl was out. Btw, you remind me that Geno was also ahead of Ridley in popularity.
Geno was like, number one in popularity, right? Or almost.
Everyone loved Geno for some reason. It may of been because of SMRPG being one of the first titles on the Wii Virtual Console, I dunno.
He could have been a good character, but he has such a small role in the franchise.
And going back to Brawl, something that everyone should consider is that we got a lot of requested characters, but some "shoo-ins" and very popular characters didn't make the cut. Just putting it out there, it just came to my attention.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Truthfully, I don't think Geno was ever that popular in retrospect. This is why I don't trust popularity polls - it's a mix of bandwagon jumpers, silly requests and a competition of who can shout the loudest. Even back in Brawl's day there were just as many Geno naysayers as supporters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Peach & Rosalina.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Geno was like, number one in popularity, right?
Everyone loved Geno for some reason. It may of been because of SMRPG being one of the first titles on the Wii Virtual Console, I dunno.
He could have been a good character, but he has such a small role in the franchise.
He was ahead of everyone not named Sonic yes, at least on Brawl Central. The fanbase itself wasn't too big to begin with, especially because SMRPG was kind of a cult classic and still is, but it quickly grew as the supporters were quick to win over other people with Geno's great potential. Many of the supporters had never even played SMRPG before. I was never a supporter, I was neutral on his inclusion, but I'll be damned if Geno doesn't have great potential. It's too bad that he's an impossibility.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Peach & Rosalina.
Diddy, I really like you and all, but come on.
You said YOURSELF that Impa and Sheik would play very similarly.
And while Peach and Rosalina have obvious ways of being different, I can't think of an interesting and unique mechanic for Impa right now. I just can't.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Rosalina had gravity-based attacks going for her, so what does Impa have that Sheik doesn't? :o
Barrier attack, magic, a long sword, actual fighting moves unlike Sheik? :rolleyes: Now that Sakurai HIMSELF said Rosalina has gravity-based attacks, you name it as an ability, but did you actually do so before? I think not. Before, Rosalina would be a semi-clone of Peach according to everyone.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Geno was like, number one in popularity, right? Or almost.
And going back to Brawl, something that everyone should consider is that we got a lot of requested characters, but some "shoo-ins" and very popular characters didn't make the cut. Just putting it out there, it just came to my attention.
I was late to the Geno hype train. So I have no idea why people like him so much. Haven't played Super Mario RPG myself, but I've seen an LP of it. He seems like a cool character and all. But not one I would go out of my way to support heavily. Maybe if Nintendo ever used him again, which might not happen since they'd have to get him back from Square Enix. I rather have Paper Mario as the RPG character.

Actually, now that I think of it I kind of like Mallo a little more, design wise at least. Geno was cooler sure, but Mallo looked like he belonged in a Mario game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Barrier attack, magic, a long sword, actual fighting moves unlike Sheik? :rolleyes: Now that Sakurai HIMSELF said Rosalina has gravity-based attacks, you name it as an ability, but did you actually do so before? I think not. Before, Rosalina would be a semi-clone of Peach according to everyone.
Cool, Zelda, Sword is overdone, What? Since when is it a bad thing for a character in Smash to have attacks that are not usually associated with fighting? Come on, most characters added have zany movesets centered around their games, and they work very well in a fighting game. I suppose you don't like Villager and Wii Fit Trainer?
And I knew you would bring up the barrier. :chuckle:
It's the only truly interesting move that Impa possesses.

ThatPersonGuy

Smash Cadet
On a separate topic, Rosalina's inclusion really hurts other characters that flaunted being female as a reason for inclusion, see: Krystal, Lip, Daisy, even Ms. Pale Tuna to an extent.

Her inclusion also can safely rule out all other potential Mario newcomers, simply because it's very unlikely that another main series Mario newcomer is added.

These things taken into account, could we try to form a list of the most likely newcomers yet to be announced? Given that we're probably not getting more than 12 newcomers max, it'd be interesting to record the current runners for the last 8 spots.

It's like one of those reality gameshows like America's Next Top Model in reverse. Everyone wins except for the last few remaining.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Cool, Zelda, Sword is overdone, What? Since when is it a bad thing for a character in Smash to have attacks that are not usually associated with fighting? Come on, most characters added have zany movesets centered around their games, and they work very well in a fighting game. I suppose you don't like Villager and Wii Fit Trainer?
And I knew you would bring up the barrier. :chuckle:
It's the only truly interesting move that Impa possesses.
Sheik didn't do ****, and got a moveset. C.Falcon and Fox similary. Fact is that Impa has far more going on for her than Sheik ever did when it comes to fighting potential.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I actually stated it before that "galaxy physics, her wand, and gravity" could be involved with her moveset before she was revealed.
The barrier attack sounds interesting, though the rest of the moves are deja vu to me.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Sheik didn't do ****, and got a moveset. C.Falcon and Fox similary. Fact is that Impa has far more going on for her than Sheik ever did when it comes to fighting potential.
Fair enough. Although there is no denying that Impa can very well end up very similar to Sheik.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Impa's barrier isn't interesting at all, when you realize that everyone in Smash achieves the same effect when they shield.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I actually stated it before that "galaxy physics, her wand, and gravity" could be involved with her moveset before she was revealed.
The barrier attack sounds interesting, though the rest of the moves are deja vu to me.
Then let's just wait for Hyrule Warriors and see what Impa will bring to the table there? :rolleyes: Barrier, possibly a Deku Nut, shadow abilities as invinsibility / **** you can make out for being Sage of Shadows, and ninja weapons in general (as shown in her Ocarina of Time design) could already make up for quite a moveset, with it's own gimmicks.

Also, Louie G, I don't like the Villager, but I do like Wii Fit Trainer.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
More Impa?

The only way she will make it is if Sakurai thinks her role is that much more important than Shiek, in terms of the Smash universe, which she is not.

Theyre so similar that they could be swapped for eachother and it would make no difference.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Anthony Higgs is better black guy. :troll:
He's only been in one game, yet I remember him. Maybe he can be Samus' Robin one day....

Also we got Ganondorf. He's a pretty cool villain too.

But Doc Louis is the best of them all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa's barrier isn't interesting at all, when you realize that everyone in Smash achieves the same effect when they shield.
You go genius! So we don't need grabbing moves either as command grabs, because every character can already do grabs! We don't need charge up attacks either, cause every character can already charge up their Smash attacks! We should say good bye to third jumps to while we are at it! We already have a jumping button right? TWO IN FACT!?

Wow what the hell have I been playing for the last couple of years? Worst designed game ever!

:facepalm:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Then let's just wait for Hyrule Warriors and see what Impa will bring to the table there? :rolleyes: Barrier, possibly a Deku Nut, shadow abilities as invinsibility / **** you can make out for being Sage of Shadows, and ninja weapons in general (as shown in her Ocarina of Time design) could already make up for quite a moveset, with it's own gimmicks.

Also, Louie G, I don't like the Villager, but I do like Wii Fit Trainer.
Ooh now you finally gave something that could be unique, maybe give her the ability to hid in the shadows like Metaknight to surprise opponents. Now you got me interested. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom