• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Look, I like Pac-Man because the arcade game was a childhood favorite, and I found the World games enjoyable. I thought that he'd be cool back in Brawl, long before "Namco is making the game, we need a Namco character" swept around. Moveset potential is a problem, but I guess I could see a moveset based around momentum... strike when you're strong and stall while you're weak or something.

Don't forget Peppy Hare. He could do Barrel Rolls and Somersaults.
Got nothing against Pac-Man. Can't say he'd be boring in a game he isn't even in yet. But most of what he could offer is in Pac-Man World and it's two sequels . And maybe that Pac-Man 2 game, but no one really likes that do they? I suppose that his new game would offer some new attacks too.

But like someone else said, it pretty much makes him like Kirby in that regard. Though it might not be too terrible.

Groose

Smash Champion
Got nothing against Pac-Man. Can't say he'd be boring in a game he isn't even in yet. But most of what he could offer is in Pac-Man World and it's two sequels . And maybe that Pac-Man 2 game, but no one really likes that do they? I suppose that his new game would offer some new attacks too.

But like someone else said, it pretty much makes him like Kirby in that regard. Though it might not be too terrible.
Exactly. The reason he isn't in my "Top Five" is because the reasons I want him don't really have much to do with how he'd play. I like him because he's a character I've been familiar with for a long time and I'd really love to see a "Battle of the Icons." I'd hope that, if he gets in, he'll live up to the standards of most characters on the roster; however, I can't see for sure how this woruld work out.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Good to be back after a lengthy week away. I haven't yet delved into the reactions to this week's reveals, but here are a few of my own:

--Zelda is back. Guess we'll now be paying quite a bit more attention to Japanese release dates.

--I'm expecting a whole lot of idiotic wishful thinking passed off as prediction in relation to Sheik being cut and Impa being a shoo-in now or god knows what. You know, in spite of Sheik being a separate reveal pre-Brawl because Sakurai doesn't care about "slots."

--Not touching the "it's nice to see females!" quote. Remember the last time that was a thing?

--Phantom Zelda or whatever it's called isn't in now? Eh, oh well, it was a cool idea, but more one of Golden's interesting concepts like WarioWare Waluigi or Original Moveset Doc than anything of real likelihood.

--Starfy is our second veteran Assist Trophy. Him being a 'staple AT' for his notorious uselessness was an idea I proposed months ago, so it's cool to be right. I know of one, maybe two users who were probably surprised by this, but really, it's baffling as to why. Maybe this will stifle some of the "Sakurai is looking for new series to add!!" bunk?

--In spite of Starfy's disconfirmation, I hope we still get some ocean stage. Though there's still Endless Ocean for that.

--A Rainbow Road stage! I hope it shows those floating neon character faces from the N64 version in the background of one of its stops. After all, they are the inspiration for DKVine's avatars.

--Rosalina is a tall, light character, unlike what she was in Mario Kart Wii. Not too surprising, given that she needs some weakness, and Sakurai seems to translate floatiness as lightweightedness in Smash. Guess we know how Mewtwo will end up.

--No pics for a week? Expected. Hopefully we'll get some solid material on our first day back.

Now, time for some catch-up.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, in Brawl both Pokemon and Zelda were planned to have 5 characters, but Mewtwo and Toon Zelda were cut because of time constraints. While that might also happen this time, I think Sakurai is going to try and find time to fit Mewtwo in, which means he might also try to get a fifth Zelda rep.
Which isn't gonna be Toon Zelda, cause of the Phantom.

Tingle neither, cause of hatebase and Villager's Up B.

Vaati was never likely and shouldn't really be expected.

So who's left eh..?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I doubt Sakurai cares about Tingle's hatebase, which I don't think it's that big as some people claim. It may be vocal, but I don't think it's that big.

Groose

Smash Champion
Which isn't gonna be Toon Zelda, cause of the Phantom.

Tingle neither, cause of hatebase and Villager's Up B.

Vaati was never likely and shouldn't really be expected.

So who's left eh..?

I doubt Sakurai cares about Tingle's hatebase, which I don't think it's that big as some people claim. It may be vocal, but I don't think it's that big.
Also, I agree with Frostwraith.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm expecting a whole lot of idiotic wishful thinking passed off as prediction in relation to Sheik being cut and Impa being a shoo-in now or god knows what. You know, in spite of Sheik being a separate reveal pre-Brawl because Sakurai doesn't care about "slots."
Sheik and Zelda were literally never revealed together, so people thinking this is new are not exactly veterans. Coincidentally, back during the first unveiling of Melee, Sheik was revealed first before Zelda, unless you count the brief cameo during the CGI cinematic.

--Not touching the "it's nice to see females!" quote. Remember the last time that was a thing?
Some guy killed himself because of Lyndis.

Good times.

--Starfy is our second veteran Assist Trophy. Him being a 'staple AT' for his notorious uselessness was an idea I proposed months ago, so it's cool to be right. I know of one, maybe two users who were probably surprised by this, but really, it's baffling as to why. Maybe this will stifle some of the "Sakurai is looking for new series to add!!" bunk?
I blame the mentality of Charizard being promoted from a Pokeball summon to the playable character, which is giving everyone the misconception that suddenly every single character will follow the same method.

Groose

Smash Champion
Some guy killed himself because of Lyndis.

Good times.
Ah, pre-Brawl. Good times. Didn't have an account back then, but I was a pretty frequent guest. I remember Johnknight; he was always one of my favorite posters to read back then. I'm pretty sure I remember Diddy, too, but the majority of the users here I don't really remember.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't like making assumptions, but Sheik will be in this game. She's been in Melee and Brawl and it's one of Zelda's more defining traits in Smash.

The idea behind the transformation and the intended gameplay is clear: Sheik racks damage up, Zelda finishes it. It was, however, poorly executed in Brawl, especially due to the loading times and the fact that Sheik herself had moves capable of KO'ing foes with ease.

I want to believe that Namco Bandai may help on doing this. If the loading times are faster and both Zelda and Sheik (and the rest of the roster, obviously) are properly balanced, I can see more people taking advantage of the transformation gimmick.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Ah, pre-Brawl. Good times. Didn't have an account back then, but I was a pretty frequent guest. I remember Johnknight; he was always one of my favorite posters to read back then. I'm pretty sure I remember Diddy, too, but the majority of the users here I don't really remember.
You're making me wonder now, what would your username be if you had an account pre-Brawl?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I know that other veterans like me and Ismar were at Brawl Central back then, I imagine a couple of other people around here were there too since it was quite the big community.

Groose

Smash Champion
You're making me wonder now, what would your username be if you had an account pre-Brawl?
Well, I did have an account at some point in 2011, before Groose. I did a bit of... instigating... back then, and I decided that when E3 2013 rolled around, I needed to start fresh here. Let's just say that my last account's name was Mega Man related, okay?

Yeah, I was here as a guest for pre-brawl, here as a bit of a troll in 2011, and here as a guest again in 2012.

I know that other veterans like me and Ismar were at Brawl Central back then, I imagine a couple of other people around here were there too since it was quite the big community.
Yup, while I'm sure I knew of you back then, it was a long hiatus from 2008-2011 and my memory faded a bit. I remembered a few users, nothing more.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Makes Impa all the more likely. :smirk: Ghirahim being in will increase Skyward Sword's overall representation. If Ghirahim gets in, kiss Sheik goodbye for certain, cause Impa is getting in as well then. ALSO HOW CAN I PREVENT MY TEXT FROM APPEARING LIKE THIS?!

Also, I agree with Frostwraith.
I don't. Tingle's games barely hit international market. He's just not internationally marketable. He was left out of Twilight Princess for this exact reason.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I wish I was here for Brawl speculation.
What a crazy time...
Makes Impa all the more likely. :smirk: Ghirahim being in will increase Skyward Sword's overall representation. If Ghirahim gets in, kiss Sheik goodbye for certain, cause Impa is getting in as well then. ALSO HOW CAN I PREVENT MY TEXT FROM APPEARING LIKE THIS?!
Ghirahim would mean nothing. If anything it would hurt Impa's chances, since Ghirahim would already be representing Skyward Sword. Provide some evidence to back you up Diddy, you never really have any.

Oh, and out of curiosity, you guys like my avatar? I'm considering making it my permanent avatar for a while, though on and off when character reveals come along.

Groose

Smash Champion
I don't. Tingle's games barely hit international market. He's just not internationally marketable. He was left out of Twilight Princess for this exact reason.
Oh, don't get me wrong. That's quite clearly a problem. In Brawl, the problem was more than enough to make him an Assist Trophy.

However, this problem may end up working to his advantage. Because the hatebase cries and whines so loud, Tingle is a widely recognized character. We're running out of characters to add... it won't be long until Tingle elicits a reaction more powerful than any other potential newcomer. Of course, I may be wrong and you may be right, and this may completely screw him over.

Tingle was in TP, he's just really hard to point out.
Inquiring minds would like to know: where was he? I didn't see him, that's for sure. He was in SS, though: Zelda had a Tingle doll on her desk.

Oh, and out of curiosity, you guys like my avatar? I'm considering making it my permanent avatar for a while, though on and off when character reveals come along.
When I say it in Rate Their Chances, I almost pmed you to tell you how awesome it was. Yeah, definitely a keeper.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pre-Brawl, all I really cared about was Diddy and speculation for his moveset. I showed huge interesst in Ike to, but didn't bother debating it. Remember John really well as he and I where pretty much on the same foot for our opinions :laugh: We both basically lead the Diddy fanbase, and had to deal with a lot of trolling. I in return, often chilled in the 'Wind Waker Link' support thread, as I found it a good idea to replace Young Link with a more unique character, and I loved the Wind Waker.

There was someone killing himself for Lyn though..? Whoa.

Wonder how many Ridley fans did the same? Their population isn't as massive as before right now.
Tingle was in TP, he's just really hard to point out.
Except he wasn't named Tingle.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

Well then, who's this funny-looking dude based off?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
He is in Japan. There are also characters that are more marketable in the West, such as Ridley and possibly Little Mac, yet, no one uses that argument against them. Sounds like bias from your part, as usual.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
There was someone killing himself for Lyn though..? Whoa.
It's funny when you consider that I am one of Lyn's more passionate supporters at the moment, and I'm still iffy on her chances.
I support her mainly because I don't want to support Chrom or Roy.

And Tingle has certainly got star power. I mean, who doesn't know Tingle?
And I think his spin-off series helps imo. It makes Tingle even more important than he was.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
And Tingle has certainly got star power. I mean, who doesn't know Tingle?
And I think his spin-off series helps imo. It makes Tingle even more important than he was.
As much as I hate Tingle, I at least admit that he has some shot.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd like to see Black Shadow take Ganondorf's Brawl moveset. Not that it would happen though, but it'd be a little interesting. Just thought I would throw that out there. Or would anyone prefer Goroh? He could be a fun character too.

Also, Ghirahim? Really? Wouldn't adding him be like adding Zant in Brawl or Skull Kid in Melee? I've got nothing against him, but he's still in the category of "one-off" villains.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What a crazy time...
No you don't, it's mostly just an embarrasing time to think back to. Things like "Ridley is in the clouds" originate from that time, and it's all something we're making fun of today. Sure it was fun when big characters like Dedede and Diddy Kong were revealed, but then there were things like the Sonic fanbase infiltrating our Smash community, the immense R.O.B hate, the Krystal furry fanbase, all the threads about how hot ZSS is, etc. It was crazy, but not necessarily in the good way. Out of control is a better term to describe it.

Wonder how many Ridley fans did the same? Their population isn't as massive as before right now.
Eh, it seems about the same. Ridley is arguably the most popular character this time around, last time he was still beneath Sonic, Diddy Kong, Dedede and maybe Olimar and Mega Man, and that was just post-E3 2006, before that he was also under Wario and Meta Knight. The only thing that might set him below the most popular character status for SSB4 is K. Rool's big rise in popularity, and of course it depends on if we count Mewtwo and Mega Man too.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What a crazy time...

Ghirahim would mean nothing. If anything it would hurt Impa's chances, since Ghirahim would already be representing Skyward Sword. Provide some evidence to back you up Diddy, you never really have any.

Do you say I lack proof because the most of you lack common sence or insight or what..?

Ghirahim and Impa have a clear rivality going on in Skyward Sword. This should be obvious. They fight about 2 times, which is almost as much as Link and Ghirahim fight. Impa is literally after Link, Ghirahim's biggest obstacle in getting Zelda. It's a quite well fleshed out rivality, and I can't see Sheik getting in with the Phantom around. If Ghirahim gets in, and Sheik is out, Impa will more than likely be a low priority newcomer, and be based on Sheik's moveset greatly.

Then again, Ghirahim isn't quite likely at all actually.

Well then, who's this funny-looking dude based off?
Based off yeah. Fact is, he's not remotely as creepy as Tingle, and neither does he resemble him greatly in his personality. He's also a character who's only the host of a mini game series so... Hardly relevant. :rolleyes:

In that sence, Impaz counts as a Impa appearance to.

I think he's talking about Manly.
Manly wasn't around pre-Brawl. And Manly is pretty much the reason I myself want Lyn in to now thanks to his moveset.

He is in Japan. There are also characters that are more marketable in the West, such as Ridley and possibly Little Mac, yet, no one uses that argument against them. Sounds like bias from your part, as usual.
Who said it doesn't hold those characters back?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think Sheik and Tingle are both more known than Impa. Sheik and Tingle are more memorable overall than Impa, whose only major role was in Skyward Sword, while being a minor character in other games.

Sheik has the advantage of featuring in the previous Smash Bros. games and Tingle, besides being more featured than Impa, also has his own series and is better known among Nintendo fans.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Also, Ghirahim? Really? Wouldn't adding him be like adding Zant in Brawl or Skull Kid in Melee? I've got nothing against him, but he's still in the category of "one-off" villains.
I see him as a pipe dream character. He'd be nice, but he's one off. Impa, Vaati, Tetra, and a few other canidates that aren't one offs have that above him. But he has that personality. I'll take him above Tingle and Tetra.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Alright, who HERE doesn't know Tingle? (But then again, we know EVERYBODY here)
He is very well known among Nintendo fans.
Back before I was a Nintendo fan (around '07, I believe) I knew the basics. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Toad, Bowser, Wario, Link, Zelda, Tingle, Samus, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Waluigi, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, the Kanto starters. Heck, Smash Bros. is what introduced me to Fire Emblem, EarthBound and Kid Icarus!

Of course, back then I thought Sonic, Tails and Shadow were Nintendo characters...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Do you say I lack proof because the most of you lack common sence or insight or what..?

Ghirahim and Impa have a clear rivality going on in Skyward Sword. This should be obvious. They fight about 2 times, which is almost as much as Link and Ghirahim fight. Impa is literally after Link, Ghirahim's biggest obstacle in getting Zelda. It's a quite well fleshed out rivality, and I can't see Sheik getting in with the Phantom around. If Ghirahim gets in, and Sheik is out, Impa will more than likely be a low priority newcomer, and be based on Sheik's moveset greatly.

Then again, Ghirahim isn't quite likely at all actually.
No, you lack proof because you didn't explain how Ghirahim helps Impa's chances. Now you did, so thanks for that.
Although rivalries don't necessarily help a character's inclusion. If it did, we would have Waluigi and Ridley by now. But we don't.
And it isn't like you saw Sheik getting in anyway. I still find it stupid to cut a completely unique character and give what made them unique to another character.

And another thing, I find it funny that you support Roy even though the problems that Sheik are facing go for Roy as well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Zelda is potentially already more unique with the Phantom attack than she ever was as Zelda / Sheik. Maybe not so in Melee, but definitely now! You said it removes something that makes her unique, I disagree fully. Zelda / Sheik was a reason to add the characters, but now Zelda has established herself as far more than her Ocarina of Time self. Her roles have became ever increasing, up to the point of getting playable herself, as Phantom Zelda. ;)

Waluigi and Ridley are more hindered than Impa, cause unlike them, Impa could already use a base of an excisting character: Sheik. And replace her effectively. Waluigi also has almost nothing to base himself out of outside of a cluster**** of cameo apearance 'abilities' nobody really cares about, and Ridley is an extremely hard character to programm in the first place.

You may think it's stupid, but it happend before with Toon Link and Young Link. Even Mewtwo had a lot of his moves given to other characters. Take a good look at Charizard's Forward Tilt. Lucas's Down Smash. Lucario's Aura Sphere and Forward Smash. Wolf's Forward Aerial. Make your own conclusion out of that. Ike getting Eruption to despite never showing fire abilities...

Yet you insist it would be THE MOST RIDICULOUS THING EVER as so many around here do. :rolleyes:

Most of you rely purely on some sort of psuedo logic saying : 'Expect what has been done' and sorry, I don't roll that way.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't like making assumptions, but Sheik will be in this game. She's been in Melee and Brawl and it's one of Zelda's more defining traits in Smash.
Expect what has been done before... You are a prime example of exactly that I want to prove wrong so badly. :)

The idea behind the transformation and the intended gameplay is clear: Sheik racks damage up, Zelda finishes it. It was, however, poorly executed in Brawl, especially due to the loading times and the fact that Sheik herself had moves capable of KO'ing foes with ease.
No it was poorly executed in BOTH Brawl and Melee. Same like how Bowser's style obviously didn't work for him, and he got retooled as a result. Am I snapping you out of your comfort zone yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom