• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Every-time I check back, Scoliosis has a new profile pic. :crazy:

So here is my take on a 45 Character roster. I'm trying one without Mii this time. Also notice Ridley is absent as there is strong evidence supporting he is a stage hazard.

Please don't kill me for lacking Ridley. It's not as unplausible now as it was the last 2 times, especially when Metroid already got a new character in Brawl.
I've been looking at too many rosters recently, that they all seem the same, even without characters like Ridley and Palutena, so I'm just going to leave the roster critiquing to the people more able to.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So here is my take on a 45 Character roster. I'm trying one without Mii this time. Also notice Ridley is absent as there is strong evidence supporting he is a stage hazard.

Please don't kill me for lacking Ridley. It's not as unplausible now as it was the last 2 times, especially when Metroid already got a new character in Brawl.
In my honest opinion, I think Vaati doesn't have much of a chance, I'd say pick one of Takamaru or Lip, the rest seems plausible.

Although I am a firm supporter of K.Rool and Ridley, it is a harsh outcome that supporters of said characters need to face. There is still a chance that neither of them will get in. While I DO believe at least one of them will make the cut, I do agree that there is no definitive reason to believe that they are shoo-ins.

My only other beef is Roy, as I am beginning to think Fire Emblem is either Chrom or bust (i'm almost thinking I want it to stay just Marth and Ike) and no Shulk, but that's moreso because I am also a Shulk supporter, but to each his own.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
In my honest opinion, I think Vaati doesn't have much of a chance
I still believe Sakurai will try to match Zelda with Mario and Pokemon if those 2 have 5. As Brawl suggests that was his intention.

Although I am a firm supporter of K.Rool and Ridley, it is a harsh outcome that supporters of said characters need to face. There is still a chance that neither of them will get in. While I DO believe at least one of them will make the cut, I do agree that there is no definitive reason to believe that they are shoo-ins.
I too was worried that I lacked 3 highly requested characters, but I remembered that I have Mewtwo, Little Mac, Villager, Mega Man, Roy, and Takamaru.

My only other beef is Roy, as I am beginning to think Fire Emblem is either Chrom or bust (i'm almost thinking I want it to stay just Marth and Ike) and no Shulk, but that's moreso because I am also a Shulk supporter, but to each his own.
Marth and Ike alone would be fair imo. They are the only two faces of the series. But, then again Roy is the only other character in the series to have a descendent or another character based off of him. So combining that with his requests and popularity I think it's the right choice. I honestly don't see how Chrom fits Sakurai's criteria seeing as he brings nothing new and does in fact fit his clone criteria. Sakurai is not open minded when it comes to move potential. If he thought Starfy was too similar to Kirby then I seriously doubt he has any special ideas for what is essential a heavy Marth. That's not to say he can't get in because he's a clone, but he's one of the cloniest. Even Impa could be made more unique from Sheik than Chrom could of Marth imo. At least from Sakurai's standards. Where as fire can be heavily implemented into Roy's move set this time around.

Like I said, Sakurai isn't the most open minded so I can definitely see him just brushing off Chrom as "too similar".

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Seems like he's sticking with Shulk, after Ike has failed him multiple times.

By the way Scoliosis. That's a might fine girlfriend you have, would be a shame if someone stabbed her...
At first I was incredibly confused and thought that you were Facebook creeping me because my girlfriend is posting multiple pictures of us at the moment from a wedding we were attending earlier.

But then I realized that you're the one who shanked the **** out of my mistress, therefore...I'LL KILL YOU!!!

I seriously am wondering how many people won't realize i'm posting because of the fact that i'm not Booker DeWitt anymore. Morbid will likely be rather upset with me.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think Vaati should be in SSB4, he certainly does have the merits to be.
I think he's the only character worthy enough and would complete the Zelda cast seeing as he's the next major villain, and a very popular and memorable one at that. I mean comparing that to a merchant, a sage, and Toon Zelda....

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think Vaati should be in SSB4, he certainly does have the merits to be.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he has the merits to be in. But by merits alone, Ridley, K.Rool, Mewtwo, and other characters also come into play.

What I think truly matters now is if a character can offer something that almost nobody else could. So the question is not, 'What merit does this character have?" It's "What would make this character stand out from a gameplay standpoint?"

For a few examples, Ridley could be the first character with an air grab, something that nobody else would have unless given a moveset overhaul. Shulk would have special sword abilities that no other sword user could attempt, Mewtwo is Mewtwo. While he is similar to Lucario is presence, his moveset is different and he must be played differently than a Lucario user would play. It's important to be different.

I would put Vaati in this situation myself, but however I've not played a game with him in it, so I know next to nothing about him, besides the fact that he turns into a giant eyeball mos

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
At first I was incredibly confused and thought that you were Facebook creeping me because my girlfriend is posting multiple pictures of us at the moment from a wedding we were attending earlier.

But then I realized that you're the one who shanked the **** out of my mistress, therefore...I'LL KILL YOU!!!

I seriously am wondering how many people won't realize i'm posting because of the fact that i'm not Booker DeWitt anymore. Morbid will likely be rather upset with me.
I wondered the same thing when I switched my profile pic to Ness and Lucas that one time, but I wouldn't be too worried as people do read the names. The only thing you should really worry about is the confusion people get when they find out you have a different picture.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I wondered the same thing when I switched my profile pic to Ness and Lucas that one time, but I wouldn't be too worried as people do read the names. The only thing you should really worry about is the confusion people get when they find out you have a different picture.
I just remember that I have brought up changing my picture in the past, and got lots of people telling me not to do it because I was Booker. It's just who I was. Morbid even refers to me as "Booker" from time to time.

It's alright though. I may even attempt to find a new Booker to replace the old. The pictures on Google just aren't big enough to fit into the space that I want them to. Ike failed me. So Shulk it is!

I know this is like the 15th time I've brought him up, but what are our thoughts on Wonder Red? I think his chances are skyrocketing based on the fact that:

1) Sakurai visited Platinum before Wonderful 101 was even revealed
2) There is literally nobody else with the abilities of Wonder Red, and unique gameplay is the focus this time around.
3) Sakurai is focusing on new series being added to this edition
4) The roster would have been decided before Wonderful 101 was on store shelves, therefore the sales of the game are a moot point

Really I think he's an underrated choice. He's got a brand new game, pretty unique abilities...I think he would be a great choice for Smash Bros.

Hold on, don't start with the whole recency bs. I'm not saying it's going to boost his chances. I'm just saying it's something Sakurai looked at knowing it was a new game. I'm not saying it's a crutch for him to get in.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he has the merits to be in. But by merits alone, Ridley, K.Rool, Mewtwo, and other characters also come into play.

What I think truly matters now is if a character can offer something that almost nobody else could. So the question is not, 'What merit does this character have?" It's "What would make this character stand out from a gameplay standpoint?"

For a few examples, Ridley could be the first character with an air grab, something that nobody else would have unless given a moveset overhaul. Shulk would have special sword abilities that no other sword user could attempt, Mewtwo is Mewtwo. While he is similar to Lucario is presence, his moveset is different and he must be played differently than a Lucario user would play. It's important to be different.

I would put Vaati in this situation myself, but however I've not played a game with him in it, so I know next to nothing about him, besides the fact that he turns into a giant eyeball mos
I know that there are some characters that outmerit Vaati, such as the ones you listed, but Vaati can be a very unique fighter himself, using his magic, but using it differently than Ganondorf and Zelda, by having long-ranged, weaker attacks.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
In my experience it's only odd/out of character when someone changes their avi if and only if their name goes along with the old/against the new avi. Or if their username refers to something specific in the first place. Otherwise it all falls on habits.

I remember it was weird when I briefly stopped using avi's from NSFW sources.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

I think Vaati would stand out the most. Considering he is a Wind Mage. Wind related attacks combine with other magic and shadow attacks would be quite unique.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I've never heard of Vaati but since he uses magic I'm all for him. But I still think that Mario will be the only one getting 5 reps. I mean they were the only ones to have 5 in melee (Doc, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser).

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I've never heard of Vaati but since he uses magic I'm all for him. But I still think that Mario will be the only one getting 5 reps. I mean they were the only ones to have 5 in melee (Doc, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser).
Well, in Brawl both Pokemon and Zelda were planned to have 5 characters, but Mewtwo and Toon Zelda were cut because of time constraints. While that might also happen this time, I think Sakurai is going to try and find time to fit Mewtwo in, which means he might also try to get a fifth Zelda rep.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Can someone please explain why Cranky is all of the sudden considered remotely likely? I mean I know he's in Tropical Freeze and crap, but really???
I think it is because of Rosalina. Rosalina was unique, a little popular, important to her series, etc. Cranky is unique, a little popular, very important to his series, etc.

Oh, and he is playable in The new game Tropical Freeze. Which is apparently important. I don't really think so but whatever. I like Cranky.

Pokémon is very likely to have five reps. I am pretty sure there shouldn't be any Brawl cuts, and Mewtwo is very likely.

On another topic, if all the Melee characters that were cut are DLC, I'd totally buy all of them.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
If there is ANY dlc it should be the cut Melee characters. I want my Dr. Mario back goddammit!
I do support having all Melee characters. I just want my Pichu.

I like Dr. Mario, Young Link, Roy, and Mewtwo, too though. Maybe they will come in a pack where they come together?

I just realized I didn't put Young Link in my sig. Might replace Samurai Goroh or Leon, although I probably won't.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, it seems there were quite the changes to the forum while I was off. Many features have been re-implemented, I see... I'm liking the new Smashboards Onyx skin.

And Scoliosis Jones changing his avatar seems to have confused some people. That's what happens when someone has the same avatar for a long time...

PWN3

Smash Apprentice
Some sort of Namco rep is plausible IMO, and I'd love for a Tales character to be playable. Maybe Lloyd or Cless above anybody else, although any Tales rep would be cool.

Pac-Man, though... boy, I hope he's not a thing.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'n digging the new format,
Krystal will most likely get in to preserve an SSB tradition of one new Star Fox character per game, she is somewhat important to the series, and she has moveset potential.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
SuperBrawler, not to be hasty, but can you make me a sig like that with Ethan(Gen 2 Pkmn Trainer), Slippy Toad, Funky Kong, King Boo, Medusa, and Bandana Dee, please. If not, I understand that it's a bit presumptuous, but thanks soooo much if yes.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Krystal will most likely get in to preserve an SSB tradition of one new Star Fox character per game, she is somewhat important to the series, and she has moveset potential.
Tradition?

That's a terrible arguement.

It's SSB "tradition" to cut 2 pokemon characters (that aren't Pikachu or Jigglypuff) and add two new ones. You think that will happen?

It would also be SSB "tradition" to cut Ike for someone new. You think that will happen?

"Tradition" is a bad argument. Very bad.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
There's no such a thing as Smash "traditions"...

I think Star Fox won't get a newcomer this time, but I can't deny it is still a possibility. If Sakurai finds something unique about another Star Fox character, there might be a newcomer from the franchise. The possibilities I see as likeliest are Krystal (staff based moveset), Slippy (mechanical traps and such) and Leon (assassin style moveset with low attack power and emphasis on speed).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Some sort of Namco rep is plausible IMO, and I'd love for a Tales character to be playable. Maybe Lloyd or Cless above anybody else, although any Tales rep would be cool.

Pac-Man, though... boy, I hope he's not a thing.
Luckily we're not forced to stomach a character under the ownership of Namco due to the company being involved with Super Smash Bros. If any character gets in, it's not going to be because of Namco.

Also, KOS-MOS is best choice.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Your reaction would be better if it does happen however. Even though it'll be the most dry and sarcastic reaction ever.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Everyone knows that Yoshimitsu is Namco's best choice. Too bad Pacman is the only plausible one.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Lol everybody has moveset potential.

Tradition? If that's a tradition, then there's a bunch of other things that are traditions.

Krystal has a chance, but it is a stretch to say that she's "likely".

Groose

Smash Champion
NO WE NEED PUKKU-MAN BECAUSE... UHHHHH... REASONS!
Look, I like Pac-Man because the arcade game was a childhood favorite, and I found the World games enjoyable. I thought that he'd be cool back in Brawl, long before "Namco is making the game, we need a Namco character" swept around. Moveset potential is a problem, but I guess I could see a moveset based around momentum... strike when you're strong and stall while you're weak or something.

There's no such a thing as Smash "traditions"...

I think Star Fox won't get a newcomer this time, but I can't deny it is still a possibility. If Sakurai finds something unique about another Star Fox character, there might be a newcomer from the franchise. The possibilities I see as likeliest are Krystal (staff based moveset), Slippy (mechanical traps and such) and Leon (assassin style moveset with low attack power and emphasis on speed).
Don't forget Peppy Hare. He could do Barrel Rolls and Somersaults.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom