• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
As in "I don't really find the character fun to play". Nothing more to it really, his moveset and the whole hit-with-the-middle-of-the-sword just doesn't work for me.
Oh, alright. I thought it was more along the lines of a certain playstyle that you preferred instead. Because some people have different tastes in how they handle characters, which is why some people gravitate towards certain characters purely on a bias standpoint. Some people like characters on par with Bowser and Ganondorf, while others prefer something on par with Sonic and Captain Falcon. That type of deal.

Weirdly, I don't really have that actually.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Fixed. Am I missing anyone now?
And to FireEmblemnier, I don't consider Louie likely in the slightest. Alph makes more sense as a last minute Olimar clone.
Possible Contenders Roster.png

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Has Muddy Mole, but not Prince Sable. ;-; Come on mate..
I would remove Captain Syrup too.
I like Muddy better I suppose. I remember Sakurai saying something about Mole Mania once, so it's possible.
Prince Sable is a very out-there choice. I'm pretty sure Muddy has slightly more popularity than Sable.
And Captain Syrup in case Wario Land gets some representation (my money's on no).
What did you add? XD
Lyn, Hades, Cranky. Got rid of Geno.
Slippy and Peppy? Plusle and Minun?
These I can agree with slightly.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hey guys, while we are on the topic of Sable, who would be a better retro Game Boy rep: Muddy or Sable?
I'd say Muddy because he was localized.
I wonder how many of these would be clones, Joy Mech Fight style? :troll:
Aside from the ones that are already clones, Ninten, Lucina, and Black Shadow stand out as possible clones.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Hey guys, while we are on the topic of Sable, who would be a better retro Game Boy rep: Muddy or Sable?
I say Prince Sable. While his game may be more obscure than Muddy Mole, his game is a cult classic that deserves the revival the most, moreso than Muramase and Panel de Pon combined. This is just my opinion, but I think the transformations of the frog and snake bring alot more to game than the mole's digging playstyle.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

I say Prince Sable. While his game may be more obscure than Muddy Mole, his game is a cult classic that deserves the revival the most, moreso than Muramase and Panel de Pon combined. This is just my opinion, but I think the transformations of the frog and snake bring alot more to game than the mole's digging playstyle.
I liked because of Sable Approves. But I completely disagree with your statement below.
Deserving a revival is very arguable. All three games you mentioned were linked to popular localized games: Murasame to Zelda, Panel de Pon to Tetris Attack, and Frog the Bell Tolls to Link's Awakening I believe. Deserving a revival is completely an opinion, as they all have very equal merits. And let's throw in Mole Mania because localization. So all 4 are equally deserving of a revival.
And as for bringing new mechanics to the table, I feel that Muddy actually does a better job with that than Sable. While Sable can transform, Muddy can dig, but one of these has been seen in Smash and another hasn't. Digging has never been incorporated into a character's moveset, yet transforming is what makes Zelda unique. And having 3 forms is similar to Pokémon Trainer. And Sable has a sword. So I think Muddy would be a bit more unique.
And is anyone here? Because it's so quiet for some reason...

BlueSorrow

Smash Apprentice

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I already told ya it was only an opinion.
That may be true about the transformation bit, but Sable would rely on transformation as most of the game revolves around it instead of transforming just for the sake of your playing as your favorite character. Muddy's digging playstyle could be interesting though.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well this is a roster about possible characters but not necessarily likely,so I think Knuckle Joe,Prince Fluff,Gooey,Magolor,Shy Guy,Bomberman,Solo Charizard and Daisy are characters who can be added.
Wasn't Waddle Dee enough?
Nah, but here you go.
Possible Contenders Roster.png

I don't see Daisy or Shy Guy happening though.
Edit: Heh, it looks like Gooey is licking Pit. XD

Louie G.

Smash Hero
For me : Waluigi=Daisy
Also you have Toad, Slippy and Daitoryo so I really don't see a problem with Shy Guy XD
Toad is very iconic and is technically a character as well as a species.
Slippy is very well known actually.
And you never know with Daitoryo. He's the best choice for a Hanafuda rep (not counting Mr. Hanafuda. :troll:).
Shy Guy will be on the roster when Goomba is. Not much of a difference, as Shy Guy is the Goomba or Yoshi's Island.
And Waluigi has more potential to be unique and was an assist trophy. And don't give me DIHSO please.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't see Waluigi or Daisy making it unfortunately but we will see. We have had some surprising characters so far.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I kept expecting a Pokémon character with the release of their game and the popularity of that series but so far it has happened. I am surprised we didn't get Mewtwo with a trailer at this point.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I kept expecting a Pokémon character with the release of their game and the popularity of that series but so far it has happened. I am surprised we didn't get Mewtwo with a trailer at this point.
Hopefully we get a reveal when Pokémon Bank finally comes out in America.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Toad is very iconic and is technically a character as well as a species.
Slippy is very well known actually.
And you never know with Daitoryo. He's the best choice for a Hanafuda rep (not counting Mr. Hanafuda. :troll:).
Shy Guy will be on the roster when Goomba is. Not much of a difference, as Shy Guy is the Goomba or Yoshi's Island.
And Waluigi has more potential to be unique and was an assist trophy. And don't give me DIHSO please.
Toad is deconfirmed.
Star Fox doens't deserve another character and Slippy is extremely hated.
And the Hanafuda thing...doesn't need any explanation.

Daisy has the same moveset potential than Waluigi has. (Sports and Spin-off Mario powers) ,but you are right with the AT thing.
Shy Guy is not that similar to Goomba,Shy Guy is playable in all the recent spin-off Mario games,has HUGE moveset potential and...has arms.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Hanafuda is important to Nintendo's history as a whole, it's what basically started Nintendo 100 years ago.
Sakurai may give a nod to Hanafuda by making it into a character just like with G&W and R.O.B.
I don't see why you should be against the idea.

I actually like the update.
I'm kinda warming up to it too.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
- Why not?
- Slippy was made to be hated, thats why he is so freaking awesome :cool:
3 characters in Brawl was already pretty overkill for a franchise which not only has less sales than Metroid, but has also been abandoned. If anything this time Star Fox needs to try and keep Wolf on the roster.

Slippy is actually loved in Japan, I guess he has some "kawaii" **** factor or something stupid like that.

Espio264

Smash Ace
So, we have 20 characters. Let's see what, if any patterns we can find in comparison to Brawl's first 20.

speculation.jpg

- 10 characters shown at official announcement for Brawl, 12 for SSB4.
- 8 64 characters in Brawl, (all of the starters), 8 64 for 4, (7 starters).
- 12 Melee characters in Brawl, (12 starters), 12 Melee characters in 4 (10 starters).
- Yoshi was, or will be the last of the original 8 announced for each game.
- 8 newcomers in Brawl, 4 for SSB4.
- 5 expected newcomers announced for Brawl, 1(ish) for 4.
- 1 third party for Brawl, 2 for SSB4.
- 13 franchises represented in Brawl, 14 in 4. (9 common franchises).

- 11 common characters in each game's first 20.

Conclusion that I've drawn:
- Brawl's first 20 represented a more well rounded cast, with most of the expected newcomers already present.
- 4's first 20 are not as well rounded a group and can lead us to believe that either the full cast will be a large group in order to retain the well roundedness, or that the cast will be unbalanced and reflect whom Nintendo thinks is important, and not necessarily who Sakurai thinks should fit into this game/phenomenon.
- Any patterns found in Brawl are either being followed closely in terms of franchises revealed, or not at all in terms of fully shown franchises and reveals for previous secret characters.

Conclusions you can draw.
- Not many. All of this information doesn't tell us much. We're still sort of in the dark on how the entire scope of this game will look.
- This was a completely pointless post.
- Zelda looks darn good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom