• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Slots are how many character icons shown on the character select menu. Zelda and Sheik are two different characters, but they work together as one character. And Toon Zelda was in the data to match Pokemon and Mario's 5 slots.
So Toon Zelda was ONLY in the data to fill a void? That doesn't sound right to me. Got a source for that?

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Sakurai doesn't care about slots. If he did, we wouldn't have 3 Starfox characters in Brawl, 1 DK and 1 Kirby rep in melee, and 4 planned Mario characters in 64. Not to mention Pokemon's "six"

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
What I don't like about this upgrade is how it removed some functionality, such as the friends list or the social groups. COLLAPSE tags don't seem to be working either, same for custom text colors. I hope they re-implement them later.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I feel as if I'm in the future or something, it's so streamlined...

Was I cryogenically frozen? Where am I? Is it Spring 2014 yet?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There is absolutely zero proof on all of this slots bull****.

I've said it before and I'll said it again, Sakurai has come out and stated he sees the roster as 39 characters. So that means that the Big Three series are already uneven. Adding a character to balance a series is a terrible reason to add a character. I don't see how you can argue gameplay uniqueness either. Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik would be a clone, Impa would be redundant with Sheik, Ghirahim is a one off and isn't going to get in, Tingle is...Tingle....Zelda doesn't offer much to the table gameplay wise.

There are just certain series that don't need a character. Mario reasonably got Rosalina, not because the series needed somebody new, but because Rosalina offered something new, better than the rest of the choices. I do not see the same with Zelda. However, if we take what Sakurai already said into account, then Mario and Zelda are already on the same page. Pokémon is still ahead by playable character wise, but I don't see the problem with that.

So let me get this straight, we're adding a Zelda character so that the columns on a prediction roster match up? But that's not even how the Brawl roster went! Characters were lined up based on different attributes. Samus, Pit, and the Ice Climbers were lined up because of the dates of their respective first games. Really, the "they all have to have the same" argument is shallow and doesn't make any sense.

Put in characters who make sense for good reasons. Putting in a Zelda character to simply match the Mario characters is stupid. I'm sorry, but it's stupid.

On Fire Emblem...

I still don't believe that the Tactician will get in over Chrom or Roy. I just don't. If Chrom or Roy aren't chosen, then I think Fire Emblem will be just fine with Marth and Ike. They're incredibly important, and both have great movesets. Reasonably, Chrom and Roy offer the same thing to the game by gameplay standards, and unfortunately for Roy fans, unless IS is working on a Roy remake, then they will most likely request Chrom if Sakurai even asks. I would assume he knows of Awakening. If he doesn't want Chrom, he probably won't even ask about him. I'm just saying this based on what has previously happened. While the character chosen has always been the one who is most recent (or would have been most recent), that isn't the reason why they were chosen. However, I still don't see Sakurai picking Roy because of the fact that Roy hasn't been a main character in Fire Emblem in awhile. If you take away his Smash appearance, then he's just another lord with sword powers. Not to say that Chrom is much different, because he isn't, but that's what I'm seeing.

Now that I've probably caused a flame war, I have a question relating to Roy.

Based on the fact that Mewtwo has his own trophy in Brawl, and Roy has no trophy (does he have a sticker?), what does that mean for the development cycle for Mewtwo? It had to have come down to it at some point that they weren't going to have time to include him, so they honored him with a trophy. I just thought that was interesting.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
No clue, but some features have actually been removed... It's up to the admins to re-implement them.
I noticed that they got rid of the area were it shows your mains and etc, plus they made the signature box bigger, as I can fully see my gif and stuff now.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Eh...I personally prefer the previous layout. This just feels...weird.
It looks cool, but it feels a bit weird. There's no friends, no social groups (where a group of us were actually working on a game together), you can't see the friend codes or the amt. of posts anymore, I just hope they reimplement them soon.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It looks cool, but it feels a bit weird. There's no friends, no social groups (where a group of us were actually working on a game together), you can't see the friend codes or the amt. of posts anymore, I just hope they reimplement them soon.
Some of that information can still be seen on a user profile. Others are simply gone for the moment, like the friend list and the social groups.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I hope we don't lose all our posts! I had over 2000!

And why is my avi orange?

And where'd all MUH friends go?!

What about Social Groups? Me, APC and others were making a game!

Too much, bro.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You can still check them in your profile.

You're probably using a transparent background avatar. The site has a default color that is used for transparent pixels. It used to be gray, but seems to be orange now.

Those features probably need to be re-implemented.

Too much, bro.
The forum has been upgraded... :smirk:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

Too much, bro.
I can't stop thinking of this:

They'll re-implement them eventually. Give 'em time.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I notice it adds a Upload file button next to post reply, at least this adds convenience to rosters posted.
That already existed before today's update...

(I also noticed that the forums now warn you when new posts are added while you write a reply. Before moving to xenForo, this site had a similar functionality that auto refreshed whenever a new post was added.)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Now that I've probably caused a flame war, I have a question relating to Roy.

Based on the fact that Mewtwo has his own trophy in Brawl, and Roy has no trophy (does he have a sticker?), what does that mean for the development cycle for Mewtwo? It had to have come down to it at some point that they weren't going to have time to include him, so they honored him with a trophy. I just thought that was interesting.
For reference, Roy does not have a trophy but he does have a sticker and a song Winning Road - Roy's Hope.

Also, many of the trophies were recycled from other games. This is why there are many trophies based on The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Pokemon Battle Revolution, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast, etc., and why many series have hardly anything at all.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
For reference, Roy does not have a trophy but he does have a sticker and a song Winning Road - Roy's Hope.

Also, many of the trophies were recycled from other games. This is why there are many trophies based on The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Pokemon Battle Revolution, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast, etc., and why many series have hardly anything at all.
Interesting. But my question still stands. Why give Mewtwo a trophy and not Roy? I mean like you said, if that Mewtwo trophy was from another game then it's whatever. But I've never seen it before. I just thought that was interesting.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Interesting. But my question still stands. Why give Mewtwo a trophy and not Roy? I mean like you said, if that Mewtwo trophy was from another game then it's whatever. But I've never seen it before. I just thought that was interesting.
Most likely Mewtwo's trophy uses the model straight from Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Pretty much every Pokemon uses the Pokemon Battle Revolution model, the only exceptions being the playable Pokemon.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Xenoblaze is right. Most trophies in Brawl are, indeed, models ripped from previous games. Most of the Pokémon models are ripped from Pokémon Battle Revolution, except the playable characters and, possibly, the Poké Ball ones.

This is also why Fire Emblem gets stuff mostly from the Tellius games (Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn) and why Zelda has mostly Wind Waker and Twilight Princess stuff.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I feel as if I'm in the future or something, it's so streamlined...

Was I cryogenically frozen? Where am I? Is it Spring 2014 yet?
Spring 2014? Ah, I remember that, seems like it was just yesterday. That was when Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 was released, good times. They don't hold up too well these days though, outdated graphics and clunky controls. I mean, Mario Kart 17 outdoes 8 in every possible way, and Tropical Freeze didn't even have Kremlings! It did have Cranky Kong though. Alas, poor Cranky, we knew him well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom