• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Who cares about that. If we can have the banana item and Diddy's peel move can co-exist, then so can Jumpman and the hammer item. :troll:
This is a different kind of plumber:
It's Mario with reversed dungaree colours. The Mario vs. Donkey Kong series makes it quite clear that Mario and Jumpman are the same person. If we're going to have two Mario's, the second Mario should be differentiated far more - i.e Dr. Mario or Paper Mario.

Plus, you know, Mario has 5 reps already, and there are far more deserving characters for new Donkey Kong reps. Jumpman is yet another example of your BluePikmin brand of 'different for the sake of different' character choices.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Jumpman? This is the kind of thing that slows down the thread and people leave.
I bid you all farewell for now, if you care or not (which you don't :awesome: )

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's Mario with reversed dungaree colours. The Mario vs. Donkey Kong series makes it quite clear that Mario and Jumpman are the same person. If we're going to have two Mario's, the second Mario should be differentiated far more - i.e Dr. Mario or Paper Mario.

Plus, you know, Mario has 5 reps already, and there are far more deserving characters for new Donkey Kong reps. Jumpman is yet another example of your BluePikmin brand of 'different for the sake of different' character choices.
All I'm doing is bringing up another suggestion for a surprise historical retro.
Did I say he was getting in over K. Rool or Dixie or Cranky, no, but it's a small possibility. :smirk:
I know Jumpman can be different if you try hard enough.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
The phantom could be a quick summon move where it attacks and disappears, like Yuna in Dissidia FF 012. I'm almost positive it's not always around, unlike Rosaluma. I'm not saying it will be like Rosalina where she uses it for a lot of things, maybe just a summon.
But that's what I'm saying; if it's just a quick summon, that's a depressingly small thing to change the whole moveset and cut out Sheik for.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Hey everybody! Hope you all had a great holiday so far!

So the topic is jumpman? Meh, seems rather redundant with mario, the hammer, the barrels, etc. But it would be cool to see other things from the series like the oil barrel that spawns fire creature things.

jumpman for smash

ps. wtf are reps guys help I'm new <3

Reps are representatives from a series. E.g Marth is a Fire Emblem rep.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
jumpman for smash

ps. wtf are reps guys help I'm new <3

Reps is the idea of basing whether or not a character gets in based on representing a series. It's not favored here.

Also, welcome to Smashboards!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
But that's what I'm saying; if it's just a quick summon, that's a depressingly small thing to change the whole moveset and cut out Sheik for.
Except there's nothing saying that it has to be her B-Down move that changed, it could be something else like Din's Fire or even an A-move like her Forward Smash.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Jumpman = Mario

Jumpman was just the name of the character before he was named Mario. Even Mario's trophies in Melee and Brawl refer to him as the playable character from the arcade Donkey Kong, so supporting Jumpman is absolute nonsense, since he's already in, though if named differently.

CalumG

Smash Lord
To be honest, between Rosalina/Luma, Popo/Nana, Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zero Suit, Pokemon Trainer and the potential for a complete Diddy/Dixie combo (as Sakurai had planned for Brawl), I imagine we're done with transformation characters, two-in-one characters, tag teams and other characters in that 'genre'.

Other characters will probably have different, more self-contained gimmicks, like Pikmin/Olimar and Lucario's character gimmicks.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
When did I say I wanted Sheik gone or a entire move-set changed? If you thought I did, I don't.
I'm not saying you did either. I'm just saying that I don't think it's part of her moveset because if it's just a small thing, it's underwhelming, but it clearly isn't constantly present either because it isn't in any other screens. Taking away one of Zelda's signature magic moves just to put in representation for a phantom that just does one slash attack...it's really underwhelming and random.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Honestly, there's the possibility that it's an Assist Trophy as well. It seems a little awkward as a regular move to me. But who knows. I really hope Sheik stays in.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Honestly, there's the possibility that it's an Assist Trophy as well. It seems a little awkward as a regular move to me. But who knows. I really hope Sheik stays in.
I never found it awkward, just look at Peach summoning Toad. :troll:

Now you only just gave me an idea on how to make Jumpman more different. :troll:
Have Jumpman summon out Mini Marios, and you got yourself a diverse character.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
To be honest, between Rosalina/Luma, Popo/Nana, Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zero Suit, Pokemon Trainer and the potential for a complete Diddy/Dixie combo (as Sakurai had planned for Brawl), I imagine we're done with transformation characters, two-in-one characters, tag teams and other characters in that 'genre'.

Other characters will probably have different, more self-contained gimmicks, like Pikmin/Olimar and Lucario's character gimmicks.

The thing about those characters is that they use their those gimmicks very differently, the exception being Zelda/Shiek and PKMN Trainer, where one has a 2 tranafprmations and the other has 3.

IC - an exact copy follows you around and mimics your moves.
Rosalina - puppet master
Samus - transforms from final smash to "recharge"
Pkmn trnr - stamina
Zelda/Shiek - Shiek racks up dmg and Zelda finishes with strong smashes.

So the 2 in 1 combo characters all have a very different aspect. It is very possible to have more of these integrated, like Diddy/Dixie, as a tagteam duo really hasnt been used, and Chrom/Lucina/Robin (or however it may go down) could use a support function. Although, I hope Robin is just a stand alone character.

CalumG

Smash Lord
The thing about those characters is that they use their those gimmicks very differently, the exception being Zelda/Shiek and PKMN Trainer, where one has a 2 tranafprmations and the other has 3.

IC - an exact copy follows you around and mimics your moves.
Rosalina - puppet master
Samus - transforms from final smash to "recharge"
Pkmn trnr - stamina
Zelda/Shiek - Shiek racks up dmg and Zelda finishes with strong smashes.

So the 2 in 1 combo characters all have a very different aspect. It is very possible to have more of these integrated, like Diddy/Dixie, as a tagteam duo really hasnt been used, and Chrom/Lucina/Robin (or however it may go down) could use a support function. Although, I hope Robin is just a stand alone character.
But that's just the thing - all of these characters are multi-pack characters and they all have very different ways of including multiple characters in one. But how many more times can they do a two/three-in-one character before they start infringing on each other's ideas? Pokemon Trainer was already arguably a step too far, offering the same as Zelda/Sheik but with a tacky stamina gimmick. How many multi-character gimmicks can they legitimately come up with before they start becoming very similar to each other or the fans just straight-up get tired of it?

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
But that's just the thing - all of these characters are multi-pack characters and they all have very different ways of including multiple characters in one. But how many more times can they do a two/three-in-one character before they start infringing on each other's ideas? Pokemon Trainer was already arguably a step too far, offering the same as Zelda/Sheik but with a tacky stamina gimmick. How many multi-character gimmicks can they legitimately come up with before they start becoming very similar to each other or the fans just straight-up get tired of it?
At this point in time, the only feasible options IMO are a support mechanic from FE and a tag team system from DK, but even then I think the chance is pretty low. Anything more and I think it becomes pretty redundant.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I'm not saying you did either. I'm just saying that I don't think it's part of her moveset because if it's just a small thing, it's underwhelming, but it clearly isn't constantly present either because it isn't in any other screens. Taking away one of Zelda's signature magic moves just to put in representation for a phantom that just does one slash attack...it's really underwhelming and random.
It could be an Smash attack, plus Sakurai doesn't have to reveal everything new, there could be more, we just have to wait for information on the topic.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
It could be an Smash attack, plus Sakurai doesn't have to reveal everything new, there could be more, we just have to wait for information on the topic.
Even for a Smash attack, it's still pretty small and pointless. I just think it's far from deconfirming or confirming anything, that's what I'm trying to say.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Even for a Smash attack, it's still pretty small and pointless. I just think it's far from deconfirming or confirming anything, that's what I'm trying to say.
I know that, I was trying to say that when a huge argument occurred about Impa and Sheik. All I'm really doing is giving suggestions of what it might mean, as I stated before all of us don't know, we need more info on it, to make a educated guess. So all we can really do as a smash forum is speculate. I'm not saying it has to be that, but just giving suggestions.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I don't see your point, it's no more pointless then other examples that use different characters or models (Villager's tree for example).

And aside from a few, no one is saying it's a definite disconfirmation on Sheik or otherwise, just that it's potentially a new move.

CalumG

Smash Lord
At this point in time, the only feasible options IMO are a support mechanic from FE and a tag team system from DK, but even then I think the chance is pretty low. Anything more and I think it becomes pretty redundant.
One thing they could do is a permanent, one-way transformation perhaps? Like a Pokemon evolving - there'd be two characters with similar semi-clone movesets, but once the transition is made from Character A to Character B, it is absolutely irreversible.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
One thing they could do is a permanent, one-way transformation perhaps? Like a Pokemon evolving - there'd be two characters with similar semi-clone movesets, but once the transition is made from Character A to Character B, it is absolutely irreversible.
Or maybe a move that changes the FE class of the character?

CalumG

Smash Lord
Or maybe a move that changes the FE class of the character?
That'd actually be a great idea. I don't know much about Fire Emblem but I'd be disappointed to see Chrom with just a sword - I'd want to see an axe-wielding lord, among other things. Switchable classes/weapons would be awesome.

Gune

Smash Lord
From the Medieval series? hmm a zombie that wields a sword doesn't seem like a good idea, but i've only played the demo, no idk anything about zarok.
He has a sword shield giant hammer magic shooting cane a gatling gun and I believe some other magic abilities but he's pretty cool played his games when I was little.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
I don't see your point, it's no more pointless then other examples that use different characters or models (Villager's tree for example).

And aside from a few, no one is saying it's a definite disconfirmation on Sheik or otherwise, just that it's potentially a new move.

The difference (to me) is that with the tree that's not a character that's seemingly out of place; the Phantom could actually be repping something, and it's a modification to an already existing moveset. It just doesn't match up with any united purpose, it seems too random to actually be one of her moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom