• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
This is my roster, but with no Takamaru, Ridley, or Tetra, and Robin instead of Chrom, which is a change I'm planning on making. So I pretty much love it and have no complaints.
I assure you, if I went for 48 slots, Takamaru and Ridley would be on there.

Actually, why don't we talk about Robin? I'd enjoy that discussion.

?????????????

Smash Master
Actually, here's an idea, you think it might be possible that Sakurai decided to integrate ideas he might have had for Toon Zelda onto the new Zelda?

It's a stretch due to ST's release, but it might be possible, perhaps the Knight isn't Zelda's only new move...
There's lots of possibilities, and that's one. It's also possible that there will be a Toon Zelda that will use the traditional Toon-styled Phantom, and Toon Zelda will be a short clone of Zelda like Toon Link to Link.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Actually, here's an idea, you think it might be possible that Sakurai decided to integrate ideas he might have had for Toon Zelda onto the new Zelda?

It's a stretch due to ST's release, but it might be possible, perhaps the Knight isn't Zelda's only new move...
The Phantom is most likely a move of Zelda's. I don't think it will cut out Sheik though. Maybe Sakurai is completely revamping Zelda's whole moveset, and maybe that's why we barely saw anything. Maybe almost all of her specials are being revamped.

Example: Her Up B she turns Phantom and floats upward, like R.O.B.'s Up-B. It's possible he's trying to incorporate ST into her moveset.

D

Deleted member

There's lots of possibilities, and that's one. It's also possible that there will be a Toon Zelda that will use the traditional Toon-styled Phantom, and Toon Zelda will be a short clone of Zelda like Toon Link to Link.
I don't think Toon Zelda ever had much of a chance, and I never understood why people clung to the idea that ALL the scrapped characters would show up in the next Smash.

Toon Zelda being a clone of Zelda seems like a bit of a waste on a roster already cramped for space, if there's one thing I'm sure of, is that none of the newcomers will be clones.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I knew she was gonna be revealed sooner or later! They simply coudn't pull a Mewtwo and reveal jack-squat by the release of ALBW.

So dat Phantom....

?????????????

Smash Master
I assure you, if I went for 48 slots, Takamaru and Ridley would be on there.

Actually, why don't we talk about Robin? I'd enjoy that discussion.
My mindset changed more when Rosalina was revealed; I thought that Bowser Jr. was the much more obvious choice, and looking back on why I picked Chrom, it was because I wanted something from Awakening and I thought Chrom was the obvious or most likely choice.

However, Robin's role in the game is just as large, potentially more important to the franchise as a whole, and offers more unique possibilities as a newcomer to SSB.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
My mindset changed more when Rosalina was revealed; I thought that Bowser Jr. was the much more obvious choice, and looking back on why I picked Chrom, it was because I wanted something from Awakening and I thought Chrom was the obvious or most likely choice.

However, Robin's role in the game is just as large, potentially more important to the franchise as a whole, and offers more unique possibilities as a newcomer to SSB.
And don't forget to FE. Not that another blue-haired swordsman is bad, but someone who represents more of FE would be a better idea. I actually think Robin is my most wanted FE rep.

?????????????

Smash Master
I don't think Toon Zelda ever had much of a chance, and I never understood why people clung to the idea that ALL the scrapped characters would show up in the next Smash.

Toon Zelda being a clone of Zelda seems like a bit of a waste on a roster already cramped for space, if there's one thing I'm sure of, is that none of the newcomers will be clones.
Just presenting possibilities. As far as Zelda newcomers go, I've always liked Tetra. Tetra and the Phantom are the obvious things that separate Zelda and Toon Zelda, but who knows what they'll do? Maybe the roster isn't as cramped for space as we thought.

D

Deleted member

The Phantom is most likely a move of Zelda's. I don't think it will cut out Sheik though. Maybe Sakurai is completely revamping Zelda's whole moveset, and maybe that's why we barely saw anything. Maybe almost all of her specials are being revamped.

Example: Her Up B she turns Phantom and floats upward, like R.O.B.'s Up-B. It's possible he's trying to incorporate ST into her moveset.

I think it helps the chances that Zelda and Sheik might finally be split, it's very possible Zelda got the Bowser treatment since she needed it badly. In which case, presents the perfect opportunity for a franchise staple character to replace one which doesn't deserve the spotlight as much.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Just presenting possibilities. As far as Zelda newcomers go, I've always liked Tetra. Tetra and the Phantom are the obvious things that separate Zelda and Toon Zelda, but who knows what they'll do? Maybe the roster isn't as cramped for space as we thought.
I would really want to see Tetra or Toon Zelda, but I really doubt a Zelda newcomer. I always liked keeping the big three at equal slots cause I'm like that, but I'm fine with the Zelda cast being a buffed Brawl version.

I think it helps the chances that Zelda and Sheik might finally be split, it's very possible Zelda got the Bowser treatment since she needed it badly. In which case, presents the perfect opportunity for a franchise staple character to replace one which doesn't deserve the spotlight as much.
If we don't see Sheik and it's just Zelda, I'll be fine. I'll be a little disgruntled, but I'll get over it. Still, a two-time veteran leaving now is weird for me.

If we don't see Sheik and Impa is a newcomer, then I'll be pissed.

EDIT: OH GOD A DOUBLE POST.

?????????????

Smash Master
I would really want to see Tetra or Toon Zelda, but I really doubt a Zelda newcomer. I always liked keeping the big three at equal slots cause I'm like that, but I'm fine with the Zelda cast being a buffed Brawl version.
My belief is that the Mario series should be the biggest, and that it's acceptable for Pokemon and Zelda to have equal or less characters. Pokemon has so many characters now though that I'm pretty much expecting 5. Zelda has characters it can add, but nothing super necessary. But Rosalina wasn't either.

D

Deleted member

If we don't see Sheik and it's just Zelda, I'll be fine. I'll be a little disgruntled, but I'll get over it. Still, a two-time veteran leaving now is weird for me.

If we don't see Sheik and Impa is a newcomer, then I'll be pissed.

EDIT: OH GOD A DOUBLE POST.

I don't understand why you could be so vehemently opposed to seeing a new character with fresh ideas when you're so adamant about the only negative of the prospect: cutting Sheik.

Also, again, Jiggs was a two-time vet in Brawl, and almost didn't make the roster.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I think more things points toward Phantom being a part of zelda's moveset, than against.
So untill something is confirmed I'll believe that.
On the other hand she's one of my most wanted characters so I might be biased.

Maybe this has been pointed at already but while it does look like Zelda is calling out a phantom in this photo...

she takes the exact same stance in the photo below but appears to be in its final animations as you can see her left arm and fingers are extended all the way out. Coupled with the fact that this attack does not thematically make sense for Zelda's movepool and that there's no indication of summoning a phantom, the presence of a phantom, or evening the disappearance of a phantom in this picture between the animations of raising her arm in the first picture to fully extending it in the second leads me to believe that the phantom is no more than an Assist Trophy.

?????????????

Smash Master
Hm...one subscriber has just proposed to me that, unlike Link and Toon Link, this will be an all-encompassing Zelda, and perhaps Sheik will be replaced by an older, realistic Tetra.

Didn't I make a joke about this scenario a few weeks ago?

Maybe this has been pointed at already but while it does look like Zelda is calling out a phantom in this photo...

she takes the exact same stance in the photo below but appears to be in its final animations as you can see her arms and fingers are extended all the way out. Coupled with the fact that this attack does not thematically make sense for Zelda's movepool and that there's no indication of summoning a phantom, the presence of a phantom, or evening the disappearance of a phantom in this picture between the animations of raising her arm in the first picture to fully extending it in the second leads me to believe that the phantom is no more than an Assist Trophy.
Or maybe...

It's playable Toon Zelda, and they just haven't revealed her yet.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't understand why you could be so vehemently opposed to seeing a new character with fresh ideas when you're so adamant about the only negative of the prospect: cutting Sheik.

Also, again, Jiggs was a two-time vet in Brawl, and almost didn't make the roster.
I should rephrase: If we lose Sheik and Impa is a newcomer as a Sheik clone/semi-clone I'll be pissed.

Still, the Phantom should make Zelda's moveset very unique: IF he is actually a part of her moveset, which most people like myself are believing. I just don't want a character to go just to be replaced by a character that would add nothing new (but maybe I'm not giving Impa enough credit, who knows?).

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332

I understand, mostly because I don't want Chrom to replace Ike. It's mostly because it's a character that you find awesome, and finding them totally replaced by someone is harsh.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
she takes the exact same stance in the photo below but appears to be in its final animations as you can see her arms and fingers are extended all the way out.
We don't know how it works. The phantom might just not be in the picture. and we have also seen use the luma summon animation without summoning a luma. I'm not calling this proof yet.
Coupled with the fact that this attack does not thematically make sense for Zelda's movepool
Zelda controls a phantom in Spirit tracks, nothing stops sakurai from mixing zelda's and making small changes in how it works.
and that there's no indication of summoning a phantom, the presence of a phantom, or evening the disappearance of a phantom in this picture between the animations of raising her arm in the first picture to fully extending it in the second leads me to believe that the phantom is no more than an Assist Trophy.
We don't know how it summoned and how/if it's controlled. So I'll wait and see what role it end up in.

D

Deleted member

I should rephrase: If we lose Sheik and Impa is a newcomer as a Sheik clone/semi-clone I'll be pissed.

Still, the Phantom should make Zelda's moveset very unique: IF he is actually a part of her moveset, which most people like myself are believing. I just don't want a character to go just to be replaced by a character that would add nothing new (but maybe I'm not giving Impa enough credit, who knows?).

And who's to say that Impa would add nothing new? Impa has plenty of canon abilities that could spice up the current Sheik concept. Again, if you were OK with Sheik being cut, why are you opposed with Sheik being cut and Impa taking over? It doesn't make logical sense.

Also, I think the current circumstances point to the Phantom being part of Zelda's current moveset, why would an AT be revealed in a series of photos used to showcase a new character? It would be a double reveal... Perhaps if this was a photo Sakurai released AFTER Zelda's reveal, then yes, it would stand, but as of right now, there seems to be more hinting at the idea that the Phantom is indeed part of her moveset.

she takes the exact same stance in the photo below but appears to be in its final animations as you can see her left arm and fingers are extended all the way out. Coupled with the fact that this attack does not thematically make sense for Zelda's movepool and that there's no indication of summoning a phantom, the presence of a phantom, or evening the disappearance of a phantom in this picture between the animations of raising her arm in the first picture to fully extending it in the second leads me to believe that the phantom is no more than an Assist Trophy.

It has, but the deal is, just cause there's no Phantom in the second pic, doesn't mean it's not part of her move. On the contrary, this implies that Zelda has indeed had a number of changes, and that photo could either a) have the Phantom out of frame, or b) be the start up animation for the Phantom summon.

Also, as for those citing the other pic, as evidence of transform, note the lack of light, and bear in mind that Nayru's love, Din's Fire, and Farore's Wind, all have simlar hand gestures. The most logical answer here is that Zelda kept her 3 staple magic spells, but had a number of changes done to her Neutrals and Down B.

Just my 2 cents.

D

Deleted member

Hm...one subscriber has just proposed to me that, unlike Link and Toon Link, this will be an all-encompassing Zelda, and perhaps Sheik will be replaced by an older, realistic Tetra.

Didn't I make a joke about this scenario a few weeks ago?

Or maybe...

It's playable Toon Zelda, and they just haven't revealed her yet.
The denial is strong.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Again, if you were OK with Sheik being cut, why are you opposed with Sheik being cut and Impa taking over? It doesn't make logical sense.
Like, while I want Zelda/Sheik again, I'd be fine if they decide to revamp Zelda and just cut Sheik. Zelda is the main part of the two, and is my favorite of the two, so her getting major buffs is fine by me.

If Impa takes over Sheik's role, than I feel it would make no sense. There would be no point to do so. In my opinion, having Impa doing what Sheik did makes no logical sense, as we could have just had Sheik in the long run.

I'm perfectly fine with the Zelda cast being spiced up, but to an extent, it's like replacing Ganondorf with Demise. Worthiness, there's no competition that Ganondorf is more important, but the concept of it is similar in my mind: taking a character and just cutting them for someone that basically does the same thing and serves the same role.

D

Deleted member

I'm still believing that Zelda's getting a revamp like Pit.
Wouldn't be surprised if that "Triforce Attack" from TP when Ganondorf possessed her is in her arsenal now.

EDIT: But no, Impa's not replacing Sheik.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Gone for 6 hours and now we get Zelda, can't say I'm surprised. :p
I guess that breaks the one original character per month deal. (Though I haven't seen two veterans revealed yet in the same month)
That Phantom Zelda seems very interesting.
Looks like we might actually see Toon Zelda, at least if its late in development.

D

Deleted member

Like, while I want Zelda/Sheik again, I'd be fine if they decide to revamp Zelda and just cut Sheik. Zelda is the main part of the two, and is my favorite of the two, so her getting major buffs is fine by me.

If Impa takes over Sheik's role, than I feel it would make no sense. There would be no point to do so. In my opinion, having Impa doing what Sheik did makes no logical sense, as we could have just had Sheik in the long run.

I'm perfectly fine with the Zelda cast being spiced up, but to an extent, it's like replacing Ganondorf with Demise. Worthiness, there's no competition that Ganondorf is more important, but the concept of it is similar in my mind: taking a character and just cutting them for someone that basically does the same thing and serves the same role.

No, because keeping Sheik and Zelda as two seperate characters makes no sense within the context of the series. If you're gonna revamp Zelda, and make her a character that no longer depends on that useless transform gimmick, but still wanna keep the Sheik 'character' then going for Impa, who's similar is a logical move.

Keeping Sheik after a split makes little sense. Now, replacing Sheik with Impa, when there is NO split doesn't make much sense, I agree. But replacing Sheik after a split is very logical and a very good move. Ever think that some people LIKE playing as the Ninja? Impa and Sheik both fill that role, and having a revamped Sheik in the form of Impa is a favorable move to many, myself included.

Also, Sheik is NOT more important that Impa, Impa is a more important, prominent, and recurring character in the series. Sheik has only been in ONE game, and doesn't even play a major role in shaping the overarching story of the franchise, whereas Impa does countless times. In fact, Impa in nearly on par with Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf in terms of relevance, considering how she's the only other character that seems to be re-incarnated over and over. Sheik on the other hand... Really, if we're gonn have 5 Zelda characters that do a good job at representing the series, those 5 are the best.

Toon (Child) Link - The original Link
Zelda - titular princess
Ganon(dorf) - main villain
Adult Link - most popular incarnation of Link
Impa - prominent supporting character in the franchise

I'm still believing that Zelda's getting a revamp like Pit.
Wouldn't be surprised if that "Triforce Attack" from TP when Ganondorf possessed her is in her arsenal now.

You certainly seem sure of yourself Yuii.

?????????????

Smash Master
If Toon Link was picked over Impa, wouldn't that bode well for Toon Zelda being picked over Impa as well?

D

Deleted member

Epona's more recurring and important than Impa. As is Dark Link/Shadow Link. And Tingle, if you count his spinoff franchise.
Don't delude yourself otherwise.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Oh. Well I guess that confirms it.

Everyone stop speculating. We've received official word that sheik is confirmed.

If Toon Link was picked over Impa, wouldn't that bode well for Toon Zelda being picked over Impa as well?
I believe toon link was chosen to represent the toon side of the zelda series. If that's true, we don't really need zelda to do that too.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Sheik won't get seperated from zelda without getting replaced (moveset wise) by Impa.
Sheik is only an Important character as a part of Zelda.

Not: I don't think Sheik's been cut until it's confirmed she is.

D

Deleted member

What would be your reaction is the Phantom is a replacement for Zelda's Down-B and Sheik is cut and substituted with the standalone Impa?

Personally, I would only care because Diddy made me like Impa, haha, but otherwise it wouldn't really affect me much considering I never really play(ed) Zelda or Sheik to any major degree.
That would be terrible. I like Sheik and I don't want to lose any Nintendo Brawl veterans, especially not through replacements.

I see no reason to assume Sheik is out, though. I could see Zelda and Sheik being separated, though.

?????????????

Smash Master
I believe toon link was chosen to represent the toon side of the zelda series. If that's true, we don't really need zelda to do that too.
Perhaps, if that is the case. Maybe they wanted MUH RECENCY a more relevant incarnation of Young Link at the time. Or maybe, if they ARE representing multiple Zelda universes, it would make sense to add a second character to the "Toon side" to establish two worlds, like Tetra or Tingle.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
More of implementing the Child link rule sakurai has, it just so happens that he's a toon.

Since newcomers are NOT clones I don't know why TZ would be a newcomer and have a clone moveset. TL was an exception people! plus he's a veteran now.

D

Deleted member

@Manly:
It's a matter of logic. Sakurai clearly didn't give a rat's ass about "relevancy" in Brawl's time or he would have gotten rid of Sheik then instead of have a TP style design drafted up by the Zelda team during TP's development. And wouldn't have planned on a WW style Sheik either.

Why would he all of a sudden care now?
Especially when Sheik has more promotion now than during Brawl's development?
Even more so when he uses the TP style once more rather than make the switch to SS style, in which Impa replacing Sheik would have a stronger argument?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom