• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
But Ike is more important than Chrom. Likewise, Impa is more important than Sheik.
Again, I don't understand why you pit these two against each other? They aren't competing for a spot, if Impa is in she'll get her own spot, no question about that.

?????????????

Smash Master
Well, on the uniqueness thing...

It makes me feel a little more confident in a different Fire Emblem character, such as the Avatar. I know people have been saying it, but there's an idea there for a new, unique AND undoubtedly important FE character.

To be honest, after the Rosalina reveal, I think that could be the kind of route FE takes. And that would be awesome.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just hate the imbalance between Zelda and Sheik and how Zelda always gets the short stick in the balance. Also think it's terrible that just for tradition's sake, Sheik, a character likely never to be seen again in a Zelda game has to stick around with Zelda. Especially, a Zelda who never disguised as Sheik in the first place. Especially since Sheik is only popular for her being Top Tier in Melee... Especially since... So many damn reasons.

Skyward Sword was also when Sakurai was deciding the roster btw...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I just hate the imbalance between Zelda and Sheik and how Zelda always gets the short stick in the balance.

Skyward Sword was also when Sakurai was deciding the roster btw...
Why should that make Impa go against Sheik though? Zelda's imbalance isn't supposed to be fixed by removing her counterpart, but by balancing her properly.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Who knows. It would actually be nice to see the Koopa Prince enter the fray. I mean, he's the only Mario rep left who actually has a playable chance, seeing as Toad is Peach's shield, and Waluigi is a spin-off only character.

Isn't Smash nothing more than a super hyped spin-off of all Nintendo series involved? That's how I see it at least.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Her property would be a lot better if she didn't rely on Sheik for fast and safe attacks though.

Separate Sheik won't happen.

Separate Impa can and has a big chance to happen.

Reznor

work in progress
if we get a new Zelda character then it should be Tingle he has 4 spin off games

Tingle_DS.jpg

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
Beating a dead horse again, are we?

I'll change the topic then. Seeing that all of the newcomers revealed till now have completely new movesets, would it be wrong to say is uniqueness THE most important factor for a newcomer? That kind of seems to be the case about Rosalina. She is a minor character compared to Toad or Bowser Jr, yet Sakurai figured out a unique way to use Lumas in her moveset, and she made it in before them.

If it is the case, this is bad for a Fire Emblem newcomer, or looking at the current topic, Impa.
I think uniqueness plays a large role for one basic reason; there are no absolutely essential characters left. Brawl mostly filled in tiny areas, like rounding out Kirby and adding Wario and such, and the rest of the characters were sort of bonuses. Nearly every series has its vital characters that the franchise relies on (the few sort-of exceptions being Ridley and possibly K. Rool to round out their respective villain roles)

Since nearly every big Nintendo franchise is getting the representation it deserves, now all that's really left is to make the game as fun as possible, which means giving us loads of variety in terms of new characters and such. Rosalina may not really be as important as Toad or Bowser Jr., but she was one of the most unique choices out there. Wii Fit isn't a fighting franchise, but Nintendo really doesn't have anything else in its arsenal like it, meaning the Wii Fit Trainer can bring abilities nobody else can. At the end of the day, the game needs to be fun, and the best way to do that is to bring us characters from smaller franchises with abilities nobody else has, and smaller interesting characters from the big franchises.

Of course, this makes Fire Emblem confusing as hell because all of Fire Emblem's interesting characters are the unimportant ones :/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Tingle is only being considered because of the Tingle Spin off's then he should represent it as such I would say. Just like Yoshi and Wario did. :/

?????????????

Smash Master
On Waluigi...

There's no doubt that he is currently one of the most recurring Nintendo characters there is, which may or may not be saying something given how many Mario titles there are in general. However, I believe that, despite his many appearances, his role within the franchise he hails from is so comparatively insignificant that it doesn't make a big enough difference.

I find it interesting to note that Rosalina, while not having as many total appearances, has outprioritized Waluigi's availability to become a playable character in not only Super Smash Bros., but in Mario platformers as well.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Her property would be a lot better if she didn't rely on Sheik for fast and safe attacks though.

Separate Sheik won't happen.

Separate Impa can and has a big chance to happen.
I don't really understand why everyone says Impa will probably be a Sheik clone.
If I were Sakurai, I'd give Shiek a new moveset involving her harp from Ocarina summoning elements (because she teaches you the songs in Ocarina), Deku Nuts, and maybe some other things which I can't think of at the moment.

Speaking of being Sakurai, I remember a YouTube video I watched were a guy did retrospective and what he would have made the roster of every smash bros game is he was Sakurai, with the knowledge we have up until today. Maybe I should go make a thread about that, it could be interesting.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
My biggest issue with Waluigi has always been that he's not a Nintendo first-party creation in the first place...but I don't know how much that really matters to them, since Fire Emblem and Xenoblade as a whole are in the same boat.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I think uniqueness plays a large role for one basic reason; there are no absolutely essential characters left. Brawl mostly filled in tiny areas, like rounding out Kirby and adding Wario and such, and the rest of the characters were sort of bonuses. Nearly every series has its vital characters that the franchise relies on (the few sort-of exceptions being Ridley and possibly K. Rool to round out their respective villain roles)

Since nearly every big Nintendo franchise is getting the representation it deserves, now all that's really left is to make the game as fun as possible, which means giving us loads of variety in terms of new characters and such. Rosalina may not really be as important as Toad or Bowser Jr., but she was one of the most unique choices out there. Wii Fit isn't a fighting franchise, but Nintendo really doesn't have anything else in its arsenal like it, meaning the Wii Fit Trainer can bring abilities nobody else can. At the end of the day, the game needs to be fun, and the best way to do that is to bring us characters from smaller franchises with abilities nobody else has, and smaller interesting characters from the big franchises.

Of course, this makes Fire Emblem confusing as hell because all of Fire Emblem's interesting characters are the unimportant ones :/
Well, seems like you're here now too,so I guess, Welcome to SmashBoards!

I think Robin would fit well with Fire Emblem though, he was important and would be very unique.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

First post and you nail it right on the head. Welcome, and please stay.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If uniqueness is the key factor for newcomers this time, I wouldn't count on Chrom for a new Fire Emblem character. The Avatar is a better choice, thanks to his magic abilities.

We might also see some obscure characters among the newcomers. Regarding uniqueness, I think Takamaru stands out.

And, welcome, LordJackal, to Smashboards.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
My biggest issue with Waluigi has always been that he's not a Nintendo first-party creation in the first place...but I don't know how much that really matters to them, since Fire Emblem and Xenoblade as a whole are in the same boat.
Ooh look! It's LordJackal! On the Roster Prediction discussion Thread! Let's give him a warm welcome!

Welcome to Hell.
Prepare for misery.
I'm the King Of Obscureness and Trolling around these parts.

The stupidity here each day is almost equivalent to that of the video you did a response of, where the guy said Nathan Drake and a Mickey and Oswald tag team were likely options.

SO HAVE FUN!

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
Also, welcome, LordJackal.

Hi. Nice to meet you.

Well, seems like you're here now too,so I guess, Welcome to SmashBoards!

I think Robin would fit well with Fire Emblem though, he was important and would be very unique.
Hey Scat! Good to see you too.

There are a couple big FE characters that *could* stand out...I just wish Awakening had never been made so we didn't have new, relevant characters to contend with. If Chrom and friends never existed I could just keep toting Hardin and my other fanboy characters around.

First post and you nail it right on the head. Welcome, and please stay.
Thanks; hopefully I will.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Welcome to the forums, LordJackal. That was a fine first post. Enjoy your stay and I hope you get used to the madness that happens here on a daily basis.

?????????????

Smash Master
I may replace Chrom on my roster for Avatar. Haven't thought about it enough yet, but it's on my mind.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, King K.Rool, Isaac, all Pokémon, Ness, Lucas and others also weren't created by 1st party developers.

Mind you, I never would want Waluigi in but this isn't the best arguement for his exclusion.

Welcome btw.

Support Impa as 5th Zelda character / Lord and Saviour.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
The stupidity here each day is almost equivalent to that of the video you did a response of, where the guy said Nathan Drake and a Mickey and Oswald tag team were likely options.

Hey, Nathan Drake is basically in EXACTLY THE SAME BOAT as Snake, right? Having guns outprioritizes being owned by a rival company every time.

Also hi Bidoof.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
On Waluigi...

There's no doubt that he is currently one of the most recurring Nintendo characters there is, which may or may not be saying something given how many Mario titles there are in general. However, I believe that, despite his many appearances, his role within the franchise he hails from is so comparatively insignificant that it doesn't make a big enough difference.

I find it interesting to note that Rosalina, while not having as many total appearances, has outprioritized Waluigi's availability to become a playable character in not only Super Smash Bros., but in Mario platformers as well.
Rosalina is the symbol character of the Mario Galaxy series,one the best Mario games ever,Waluigi...is crap.
Also Waluigi is less recurring than Daisy XD
Sorry is this sounds rude,but I hate Waluigi and all the things I said are true.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Hey, Nathan Drake is basically in EXACTLY THE SAME BOAT as Snake, right? Having guns outprioritizes being owned by a rival company every time.

Also hi Bidoof.
While this is a very intriguing and intelligent statement, it is common logic that Master Chief will out prioritize Nathan Drake, and will replace Snake, and he will represent the best next-gen console, The XBox One, which allows you to now watch TV on your TV!

But despite all this, N64 Logo will beat all of them.

D

Deleted member

And Golden, I know I can't have both unique and semi-clone Impa. But all these things make her a much better choice to consider. Especially since she and Zelda can go Rosalina and Luma-style as a tag-team. If she has so many options to go by, she's simply more likely to get picked.
You bring up uniqueness, yet suggest Zelda and Impa go Rosalina & Luma style.
That rather defeats the purpose of going for something unique, wouldn't you agree?

As it is, Zelda already has a unique style in having two different modes that can be switched at will (Princess Zelda/Sheikah Zelda). Taking that away to have Impa come in for a Rosalina & Luma style is, well, Rosalina & Luma style. It's taking away the style she was given to copy another established style.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, King K.Rool, Isaac, all Pokémon, Ness, Lucas and others also weren't created by 1st party developers.

Mind you, I never would want Waluigi in but this isn't the best arguement for his exclusion.

Yeah, the only reason Waluigi sticks out to me in that case though is that he's surrounded by other first-party characters in their largest first-party franchise. There's just a lot of other characters in that series that are closer to the developers' hearts. Also the host of other small reasons. It's really more that I can't think of a good reason to put him in other than there being a really strong reason to keep him out.

Welcome to the forums, LordJackal. That was a fine first post. Enjoy your stay and I hope you get used to the madness that happens here on a daily basis.
I'm sure it's nothing worse than what happens on YouTube and Gamnesia <3

Yes. This is the first time we are ever meeting.

How is your fiance I have never met and definitely did not watch a movie with last night?

I may replace Chrom on my roster for Avatar. Haven't thought about it enough yet, but it's on my mind.
Since I didn't tell you this on the phone a half hour ago, my only concern with having the Tactician/Avatar is that we already have the Villager and potentially more avatar characters coming, and I don't know how I'd feel if we had an abundance of player-characters. Also that gigantic roster of really interesting Fire Emblem characters that exist and would be fun to use, but that's just my fanboy whining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom