• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good afternoon all, hope you're doing well. I see we're discussing Impa and Hyrule Warriors...I want a playable Ganondorf or Demise. :p Anyways, new roster time. :p

48 total characters, 1 visual customizable character, 12 newcomers, 36 returning veterans (Not including form changes, bringing the total up to 40)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Bowser Jr. also has his magic brush. He could always use it to spread damaging graffiti at opponents. While people might think that we won't see more than 5 Mario reps, you need to remember that in Brawl, the Pokemon Trainer owns three Pokemon, which does add up to 6 playable Pokemon.
You want a character that has damaging graffiti, but also is more related to art?

Good afternoon all, hope you're doing well. I see we're discussing Impa and Hyrule Warriors...I want a playable Ganondorf or Demise. :p Anyways, new roster time. :p

48 total characters, 1 visual customizable character, 12 newcomers, 36 returning veterans (Not including form changes, bringing the total up to 40)

It's ok, though I think are better choices for a new series than Rolling Western. Maybe someone from an older series like Chibi Robo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Doubt there will be a playable Ganondorf or Demise, it seems this game will have one as the boss or something. Or the Imprisoned, who is Demise.

Impa, Nayru, Foare and Din are a lock now at least. Could see Skull Kid in this though perhaps... Or friendly Gorons and Zoras. After that, it kinda stops.

Impa is still the most Smash-viable character for Zelda newcomers wether you like it or not.

And I love how everyone is STILL argueing Impa can't be unique :laugh: Swords, magic, kung fu, barriers, Deku Nuts. How does this not make an unique moveset? Unless you are all too full of pride to... You know... Admit a mistake? ;)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Beating a dead horse again, are we?

I'll change the topic then. Seeing that all of the newcomers revealed till now have completely new movesets, would it be wrong to say is uniqueness THE most important factor for a newcomer? That kind of seems to be the case about Rosalina. She is a minor character compared to Toad or Bowser Jr, yet Sakurai figured out a unique way to use Lumas in her moveset, and she made it in before them.

If it is the case, this is bad for a Fire Emblem newcomer, or looking at the current topic, Impa.
Well the uniqueness thing could have been used to justify any of the popular Mario newcomers.
Bowser Jr. has his paintbrush. Having someone small and agile weild a weapon that swings like a sword but can make people slip would be pretty unique. And I know this is wishful thinking, but in gonna pray someone else uses the paintbrush moveset, like Adeline or that Art Academy guy (preferably Adeline.

God knows what Sakurai could go with toad. I'd imagine he would be similar to Villager, with accidentally attacking people, as I couldn't really see him attacking Peach. Or his moveset could have been made based on Power-Ups throuought the Madio franchise.

Waluigi could have had a spastic moveset, similar to some of Luigi's moves, but he could be fast, and jump high.he could even have Sports moves, which is something basically any other Smash candidate can offer!

Paper Mario is a bit of a stretch as he comes off to be a copy of Mario. But he could use his hammer (which also goes to JumpMan, who u might note is still eligible and could be a DK rep or something new) and his helpers throughout the Paper mario series.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
\picture both Zelda AND Impa onscreen at the same time as a tag team.
*Pictures it in head*

That's one of the dumbest things I've heard. Why, pray, would Zelda and Impa be a duo? What is the reason for that? They aren't partners or apart of Zelda's abilities. They don't incorporate each other into their abilities. Why not have Sheik? She IS Zelda and not only does she not follow you around while doing nothing, she's a more popular and beloved than Impa while bringing everything Impa has. I mean you might as well make Pit & Palutena a duo, it makes just as much sense. This is quite a strange concept you came up with considering you expect Sakurai to feel exactly the same about it, let alone have even thought of the idea. Why would you expect Sakurai to implement a nonsensical idea that YOU came up with? Not him. That's like if I took my idea of Baby Yoshi and expected it to be in the game. If I'm came up with it, why does it make sense to assume Sakurai would implement it?

If you don't understand, why blast it off like you do? Shouldn't you try to understand things first before you say it's a terrible idea? This sort of mentality is causing the world to be such a ****ed up place as it is.
Let me rephrase it: I don't understand why you think it makes sense.

I would be fine as long as Dixie appears in some playable fashion. Whether it be on a tag-team with Diddy, or as an alt for Diddy.
Actually a duo between them would be great. I take back what I said, It CAN work. While Dixie follows Diddy around, you press a button to switch them for a slightly different playstyle and a different Upward Special. But, it only makes you wish they were separate.

Bowser Jr. also has his magic brush. He could always use it to spread damaging graffiti at opponents. While people might think that we won't see more than 5 Mario reps, you need to remember that in Brawl, the Pokemon Trainer owns three Pokemon, which does add up to 6 playable Pokemon.
Keep in mind Those Pokemon were all integrated into one and it makes sense to have more Pokemon because there is so many of them. I don't understand the need for more than 5 Mario characters in the slightest. What possible reason could there be besides another wave of people in denial? First it was Toad, then Skull Kid for some reason, now this.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

I'd add Vaati and a FE rep, but other than that, it's fine. I do question Dillion though.

D

Deleted member

I'll change the topic then. Seeing that all of the newcomers revealed till now have completely new movesets, would it be wrong to say is uniqueness THE most important factor for a newcomer? That kind of seems to be the case about Rosalina. She is a minor character compared to Toad or Bowser Jr, yet Sakurai figured out a unique way to use Lumas in her moveset, and she made it in before them.

If it is the case, this is bad for a Fire Emblem newcomer, or looking at the current topic, Impa.
I would say so. Only the fan base of Mewtwo, Mega Man, King K. Rool and Ridley resemble that of the pre-Brawl era and we already got Mega Man. While there are other popular character, I doubt that popularity will play a significant factor in their inclusion (barring maybe Roy just because of his insane Japanese popularity). Rosalina's inclusion, as you said, also shows that a relatively minor character can also be included if they show themselves to have something that others do not. The pool is a lot wider than a lot of us think because of this emphasis on uniqueness. I think Wariofan1's analysis shows explains better on why Rosalina's inclusion is significant to potential characters.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Doubt there will be a playable Ganondorf
The **** did I just here? How many Zelda characters are you replacing?

Impa is still the most Smash-viable character for Zelda newcomers wether you like it or not.
Nope. I say Vaati is the next most important considering he's next in line in terms of significant roles in the games. He's the second major villian. Combining the fact that he rivals Impa's recurrence with the fact that he had a more important role, he's way more important than Zelda's butler in my eyes. Especially considering we already have Sheik. In fact I think we'd get Toon Zelda WAY before we got Sheik clone. Impa may be the only character I think is less viable than Toon Zelda.

Doubt there will be a playable Ganondorf or Demise, it seems this game will have one as the boss or something. Or the Imprisoned, who is Demise.

Impa, Nayru, Foare and Din are a lock now at least. Could see Skull Kid in this though perhaps... Or friendly Gorons and Zoras. After that, it kinda stops.

And I love how everyone is STILL argueing Impa can't be unique :laugh: Swords, magic, kung fu, barriers, Deku Nuts. How does this not make an unique moveset?
Have you played the Smash Brothers games? you have no reason to believe she would use those. Ganondorf, Toon Link, and Lucas became semi-clones so there is NO reason to think Impa wouldn't.

Please explain why Impa (who has less source material than Toon Link, Lucas, and Ganondorf) would have her own moves when those 3 way more unique characters with way more iconic source material didn't because Sakurai wanted them to use those moves. I really want to here you justify this.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Actually, if we dig back to some of the E3 interviews, Sakurai flat out says that uniqueness is the most important factor they're looking at, for some reason we just haven't taken it seriously until now.
Sakurai said:
When we’re looking at candidates for new characters, we get a list of characters that people are interested in and we go through those with a fine tooth comb. The biggest feature we look at in Smash Bros is, what does this character bring to Smash Bros that other characters don’t?
So yes, uniqueness is king this time around, though we do see that popularity is still a factor too.

D

Deleted member

And I love how everyone is STILL argueing Impa can't be unique :laugh: Swords, magic, kung fu, barriers, Deku Nuts. How does this not make an unique moveset? Unless you are all too full of pride to... You know... Admit a mistake? ;)
No one's arguing she can't be unique.

Though it seems to be a case of delusion on your part.
Impa WILL NOT replace Sheik AND be unique from Sheik at the same time. You can't have both.

So, you have to decide what's more important to you; Impa having her own style and being worth inclusion, or taking the place of Sheikah Zelda for the piss-poor case of "relevance".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Playable in Hyrule Warriors man read complete posts for a change :smirk: It was in reply to someone else's post to. And I hate quoting on my parent's iPad cause sometimes that makes the browser close itself.

Vaati has never been playable, and lacks appearances in heavily marketed Zelda games. He's just related to Four Swords. Impa has an actual PLAYABLE appearance. And has been in all recent Zelda games bar WW HD.

And yes, she could be a semi-clone. And so what? She likely won't be. And she can also just replace Sheik altogheter. She just has the most possibilities to work in Smash out of all candidates whilst being unique still.

Toon Link was a late addition in Brawl. Ganondorf in Melee. Sakurai probably didn't wanna alienate fans of their movesets, alas little changed. Lucas is perfectly fine as he is actually.

And Golden, I know I can't have both unique and semi-clone Impa. But all these things make her a much better choice to consider. Especially since she and Zelda can go Rosalina and Luma-style as a tag-team. If she has so many options to go by, she's simply more likely to get picked.

Autumn ♫

No one's arguing she can't be unique.

Though it seems to be a case of delusion on your part.
Impa WILL NOT replace Sheik AND be unique from Sheik at the same time. You can't have both.

So, you have to decide what's more important to you; Impa having her own style and being worth inclusion, or taking the place of Sheikah Zelda for the piss-poor case of "relevance".
How is importance a poor decision? I'd say it's one of the best. There is a reason why we aren't getting Birdo.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
You want a character that has damaging graffiti, but also is more related to art?
I'm not sure who that is but my pick for an art/graffiti fighter would be Adeleine with a slight reboot design. Make it happen Sakurai you know you want to add more Kirby characters.:troll:

It's ok, though I think are better choices for a new series than Rolling Western. Maybe someone from an older series like Chibi Robo.
Why not both?

D

Deleted member

How is importance a poor decision? I'd say it's one of the best. There is a reason why we aren't getting Birdo.
"relevance" does not refer to importance in this case.
It's used in the context of "recent appearances" by the way Diddy argues.
Ex. "Impa appears in Skyward Sword as a young warrior so Sheik should be replaced by her."
You know, the same argument given a lot about how Chrom should replace Ike.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If there is anything I have learned from Rosalina, it's that character I didn't expect could easily be added, even over importance of others (admittedly I think importance is overrated at this point)

That is why I think K.Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, Palutena, and Shulk have a damn good chance right about now. Fire Emblem may not get anybody (unless Sakurai looks at the tactician which I still doubt). K.Rool has tons of things to take from his appearances, Ridley is a mother****ing dragon, Mewtwo is Mewtwo, Palutena has tons of potential for magic using, etc...

Shulk I think has a damn good shot. Sure he's got a sword, but he has to have the most unique sword out of any of them. I think it's a given we're getting at least one swordsmen this time anyway.

I think the fact that uniqueness is playing a part, it will be a much different game this time around.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But Ike is more important than Chrom. Likewise, Impa is more important than Sheik.

Autumn ♫

Playable in Hyrule Warriors man read complete posts for a change :smirk: It was in reply to someone else's post to. And I hate quoting on my parent's iPad cause sometimes that makes the browser close itself.

Vaati has never been playable, Ganondorf's never been playable outside of Smash and lacks appearances in heavily marketed Zelda games. All of Vaati's games were pretty marketed especially Minish Cap. He's just related to Four Swords. Wat. Impa has an actual PLAYABLE appearance. Doesn't matter much. And has been in all recent Zelda games bar WW HD. She wasn't in Spirit Tracks, and that's being represented.

And yes, she could be a semi-clone. And so what? She likely won't be. And she can also just replace Sheik altogheter. She just has the most possibilities to work in Smash out of all candidates whilst being unique still. Vaati and Tingle are the most likely to be unique, so I wouldn't say that.

Toon Link was a late addition in Brawl. Ganondorf in Melee. Sakurai probably didn't wanna alienate fans of their movesets, alas little changed. Thus we should get a character that is completely unique for Zelda now. Lucas is perfectly fine as he is actually.
Responses in red.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm sorry, but why would we cut Sheik for Impa? Replace a unique moveset to simply replace the character? It isn't going to happen.

Actually, Sakurai cam out and said that "nobody has been cut" which includes Sheik. So if she isn't planned to be cut, then she is going to remain a part of Zelda.

Impa's only real shot is as her own character, and I don't see what she would add to Smash that would be exciting/unique like the others revealed so far. Many of the other potential newcomers have potential to do so. I just don't see it with Impa.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Honestly, I doubting all of the other Mario characters now that we've gotten our 5th Mario character, I think we will probably just get 5 Mario characters.
Who knows. It would actually be nice to see the Koopa Prince enter the fray. I mean, he's the only Mario rep left who actually has a playable chance, seeing as Toad is Peach's shield, and Waluigi is a spin-off only character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am not seeing it too likely we'll see Vaati over Impa, as Impa is a longtime veteran to the series. Vaati was also biggest around pre-Brawl's time, same with Tingle. Just see it as far more likely we'll see Impa. Wether it's a Sheik replacement or unique. They can't NOT give the series a newcomer now.

Vaati has a chance if he's in Zelda Wii U though. Which I doubt.

Tingle is hated.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Impa replacing Sheik for the sake of the so-called relevancy is still one of the most idiotic things I've heard regarding Smash.

Impa as her own character or bust. Simple. From a development standpoint, it's even easier to bring back Sheik than making Impa from scratch.

Autumn ♫

Am not seeing it too likely we'll see Vaati over Impa, as Impa is a longtime veteran to the series. Vaati was also biggest around pre-Brawl's time, same with Tingle. Just see it as far more likely we'll see Impa. Wether it's a Sheik replacement or unique. They can't NOT give the series a newcomer now.

Vaati has a chance if he's in Zelda Wii U though. Which I doubt.

Tingle is hated.
I'd say he has a pretty big shot now too, especially with his anniversary edition and 3DS ambassador back in 2011

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
So yes, uniqueness is king this time around, though we do see that popularity is still a factor too.
Well, let's take a look at what we have so far and what we can see in the future...

Villager: A character with a unique moveset of using everything he can get his hands on and staying true to the loving and carefree nature of the Animal Crossing series.

MegaMan: A character who is the first to wield projectile Smash and normal attacks as well as wielding a moveset full of Robot Master powers.

Wii Fit Trainer: A character who fights using different exercises and poses, almost along the lines of accidental fighting.

Rosalina & Luma: A character that uses a somewhat-secondary character in a majority of her attacks, but instead of just being luggage like Nana, the Luma has a serious contribution to everything you do, making Rosalina the ultimate set-up character.

What we could see to fit the uniqueness bill in the future:

Ridley: A character that uses a fighting style that connects ground-based attacks into aerial attacks and hovering/flying abilities, then following up with several different attacks to string combos together. Also utilizes projectiles and tail attacks to continue attacking options.

Shulk: A sword wielder who can use a level-changing system, whose attacks grow stronger but limits range as the level increases. Levels increase with damage done to opponents and resets after every KO.

King K.Rool: A loony heavyweight character that is surprisingly faster and more mobile than that of other heavyweights, throwing around his weight to deal heavy damage in his own insane ways, including the use of a Blunderbuss, Boxing Gloves and more. The drawback is that combo potential is relatively low with this character.

Little Mac: A character who is built around counters, just like the initial Punch-Out titles. All attacks focusing on punches, this character also wields a power-up system for its attacks in the form of the Star System, which increases once this character performs certain attacks, performing a Forward Smash will cost Stars, increasing the damage of the attack. A few other attack options include stun attacks and projectile counters.

Mewtwo: First off, MASSIVE popularity. Secondly, this character utilizes a powerful yet semi-floaty style that's meant to hit hard and deal damage from all ranges. The overall combo potential is lowered, but the damage output is MUCH higher than Melee days. Not to mention the inclusion of new attacks like Psycho Cut and Skill Swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom