• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Should a character have a move that instantly kills at 100 percent or greater? The opponent would die on the spot with a vertical splash of light animation just like when the enemy falls off-screen.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think Pokemon Trainer is the most efficient cut (even if no one thinks he'll be cut).

Aside from him, I think Snake is the only obvious cut.

I'd say that the other possible cuts all have a lot more of a reason to stay, personally. I'd be sad to see any others go, personally, even if I think some of them are going to be cut.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Should a character have a move that instantly kills at 100 percent or greater? The opponent would die on the spot with a vertical splash of light animation just like when the enemy falls off-screen.
Considering they're going to most likely go flying off-screen at over 100 damage from huge lethal force, no, I don't think so. That sounds like Playstation All-Stars...and I hate that game.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Will we have another R.O.B. or Mr. G&W? Probably. Who should it be?
Who else?
Diskun-Logo.png

Not even kidding. Diskun has actually been shown in flexible moving form and had his own game once. He would be a deserving character given his role as they Disk System's mascot. Not the best move potential, but still better than Pac-Man's imo.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
What about this change to Pokemon Trainer?

No stamina. Axe down B; now each of the three get their own down B.

Squirtle changes to Ivysaur at 35 percent, Ivysaur turns to Charizard at 70 percent. And Ivysaur has both a move to reduce damage and a move that has a side-effect of increasing its damage.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35

Squirtle changes to Ivysaur at 35 percent, Ivysaur turns to Charizard at 70 percent. And Ivysaur has both a move to reduce damage and a move that has a side-effect of increasing its damage.
I would prefer it they give us the option to use all of the Pokemon or just one of them.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

A character that changes form depending on damage taken would be interesting...but from what I've seen of it done in Fighting games, it's usually done to the point of being completely and utterly broken...case in point:

I wish to drop the person who programmed this mistake into a Falcon Punch.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm curious as to why people speculate Brawl characters getting cut. When did Sakurai say anything about Brawl cuts or even cuts at all. All he said was that he doesn't have time to revive every single character that's ever been playable in Smash. By definition that includes Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy, Mewtwo, and Young Link.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
He said "But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans."

Meaning it is a possibility.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
True. But you can see why people are anticipating characters being cut.

It has happened from Melee to Brawl and Sakurai said that he apologizes in advance for cut characters.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I'm curious as to why people speculate Brawl characters getting cut. When did Sakurai say anything about Brawl cuts or even cuts at all. All he said was that he doesn't have time to revive every single character that's ever been playable in Smash. By definition that includes Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy, Mewtwo, and Young Link.
I am expecting Mewtwo, Roy, and if we get a fifth Mario character, Dr. Mario.

Anyway, I prefer Daitōryō for Nintendo historic character.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Mii and Wii Fit are historic enough. Definitely historic as in "out-of-the-box" thinking that has allowed Nintendo to make money and expand its audience.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
Why does everyone say Wolf O'Donnel will get cut? He's a very important character the the Star Fox series, being the villain, and his moveset is different then Fox and Falco's, which happens to be extremely similar.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Omg...THEY AREN'T HISTORIC REPS! THEY WERE HARDWARE REPS! Historic reps would be everyone in the game!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Wolf was not of high priority on Sakurai's character list, but managed to make it as one of the last.

Wolf is the second character to have a variation on Fox's special moveset.

Three Landmasters pissed people off.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
I think Mii and Wii Fit are historic enough. Definitely historic as in "out-of-the-box" thinking that has allowed Nintendo to make money and expand its audience.
I don't know about the Mii honestly. I just don't see Sakurai doing that. He's putting Nintendo characters in the game, not bobble-heads that look like us.

Wolf was not of high priority on Sakurai's character list, but managed to make it as one of the last.

Sakurai had a list? Wolf is the second, not the first, so why not Falco instead since he's got such a similar moveset. And it'd be easier to change Wolf to the Wolfen for a final smash.

Besides, Sakurai never said anything about cutting clones.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The reasons for the Mii:
1. Rumor that included Villager, Wii Fit, and Megaman had the Mii in there too.
2. Seems like the boss of "Find Mii" is a possible boss in Smash 4.
3. Multiple Mii stages. (The stage with "Find Mii" boss and Pilot-Wings stage which includes the Resort; at least in the background). This is a weaker point, but does seem to have some weight when factored in with the other two points.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

I'm not really angry that there were 3 Landmasters for all three SF characters. I can probably understand that he was on the low priority list, since he was last-minute, he probably was given the Landmaster without question.

WEÜ

Smash Rookie

I think sacrificing their side taunts and choosing which pokemon to switch to with either left or right on the D-pad would be for the better IMO.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why does everyone say Wolf O'Donnel will get cut? He's a very important character the the Star Fox series, being the villain, and his moveset is different then Fox and Falco's, which happens to be extremely similar.
Mewtwo was important to Pokemon and had his own move set. At least Wolf is an expendable character.

I don't know about the Mii honestly. I just don't see Sakurai doing that. He's putting Nintendo characters in the game, not bobble-heads that look like us.
What the ****? How is Mii not a Nintendo character? Just because a Nintendo character is customizable and gives you the novelty of pretending he's someone else doesn't make it not a Nintendo character. Nintendo invented this unique specimen/bobble head so it's obviously a Nintendo character. That's like saying Villager wasn't a Nintendo character because you customize him and pretend it's you.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Miis deserve to be in more than almost every other newcomer imaginable.
Their games sell millions, and are very responsible for the Wii's success.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mii games are also one of the best Nintendo sellers. So...introducing the Mii might attract people into buying the game that never would have interest in the game in the first place.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
As their own character, Miis get my attention. With the exception of their obnoxious voice, they're pretty cool.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
I'm not really angry that there were 3 Landmasters for all three SF characters. I can probably understand that he was on the low priority list, since he was last-minute, he probably was given the Landmaster without question.
What priority list?
Mewtwo was important to Pokemon and had his own move set. At least Wolf is an expendable character.
What the ****? How is Mii not a Nintendo character? Just because a Nintendo character is customizable and gives you the novelty of pretending he's someone else doesn't make it not a Nintendo character. Nintendo invented this unique specimen/bobble head so it's obviously a Nintendo character. That's like saying Villager wasn't a Nintendo character because you customize him and pretend it's you.
Villager doesn't appear as an easter egg or a character for apps. He's the star of his own game. And how is Wolf expendable?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Villager doesn't appear as an easter egg or a character for apps. He's the star of his own game.
Just like Mii is the star of Nintendo Land, Wii Sports, Pilot Wings Resort, Wii Party, Wii Party U, Wii Play, and Wii Music. Also ROB never starred in his own game and he was just an easter egg and console accessory before he (like Mii) became playable in Mario Kart.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
The priority list Sakurai did back in Brawl, deciding which characters should be done first and last.
Where's the proof the list exists? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I want to see it.

Just like Mii is the star of Nintendo Land, Wii Sports, Pilot Wings Resort, Wii Party, Wii Party U, Wii Play, and Wii Music. Also ROB never starred in his own game and he was just an easter egg and console accessory before he (like Mii) became playable in Mario Kart.
R.O.B. is important Famicom history.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
I understand PilotWings, but the rest were more like side games that you'd buy to play with a family. Also notice the title Wii in all of them, showing they were along side the console, not independent games.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, I decided to go ahead and throw all my opinions on the table. What we know, and how it affects who will be in Smash 4. Firstly, I would like to say that the inclusion of Megaman, Sonic, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager hold a good amount of importance in determining a few ground rules for predictions. Wii Fit Trainer is important because she is an actual wild card. A true wild card. In a community where we’ve spent time trying to predict, or moreso list off all the “What The ****” choices, Wii Fit Trainer still came out of nowhere for all of us except probably Johnnight. When reality set in that she was not an assist trophy, and she was a palyable character, a lot of people tried to scramble up some sort of “reasonings” for her inclusion. Most of which were admittedly not bad ones, like how the Wii Series is Nintendo’s third bestselling franchise, or how much of an impact Wii Fit had on Wii’s sales at one point, ect. These are all good points, but the fact is, she came out of nowhere. A truly, unpredictable choice. Which leads me to my first point.

1. We don’t know as much as we would all like to think, and that’s okay
To all of us, we expected a five character reveal akin to Melee and Brawl’s reveals. We also would have completely ruled Miss Fit as a choice, had anyone brought her up prior to her reveal. She isn’t the only one that pushed this first notion. Villager also came as quite a shock. He also is the reason for our second bulletin.

2. Sakurai is changing his mind
We all consider the best guesses / predictions / choices / ect to be made over something Sakurai has said. Like how, at one point it was logical to dismiss Toad based off a (now we realize nonexistant) comment Sakurai had made about him in his Melee fan mail blogs. Or, how not expecting Villager / Tom Nook / Nintendogs to be playable because Sakurai dismissed them during Brawl’s development. Some could argue we could have seen this coming to an extent when Sakurai said he felt there weren’t as many character choices this time around, but even that’s a stretch. Villager was included despite us being told he wouldn’t be in the future. These are the two biggest things I think we should take from everything we know about Smash 4 so far. There is a few lesser points I think should be noted as well though.

3. SEGA, Capcom, Namco.
Sega and Capcom are being represented by Sonic and Megaman in Smash 4. Namco is also working on Smash 4. Sega, Capcom, and Namco all released a crossover video game exclusive for the 3DS. Some of it may not be exactly related to one another, but I find it hard a bit hard to out rightly dismiss this all.

4. Popular characters will be in Smash, in some form
Majora / Skull kid had this going for him. Arguably the most popular LoZ potential newcomer was confirmed as an Assist Trophy earlier this week. I would dsay that him being an Assist Trophy had something to do with his cult following. Which is what brought me to this point. If a character is popular, there is a good chance It will be in Smash in more than just trophy or sticker form. Expect some of our favorites to end up as Boss, Assist, and Pokeball characters. Especially if the character has some questionable “credentials”. (Like being a one time villain in a large series) Which leads me to my final bulletin point.

5. Not all of our Smash “logic” is bull****.
During Brawl’s development we had a much larger pool of big named characters to choose from. Dedede, Meta Knight, Toon Link, Diddy Kong, Pit, and Wario were pretty big no brainers. They’re popular, main characters within their series, and could play interestingly. Besides the “WTF” factor, and besides the third party choices, I believe these three things will always have SOMETHING to do with what characters are chosen. With that being said, we have a lot less no brainer choices. Which is why I think our “Smash Logic” hasn’t been adding up lately. Sakurai is working with a different pool than he was during Melee and Brawl, which could be a reason why he reconsidered ACVillager. I still believe that popularity prominence and playstyle will play a decent role in character choices again, we may just also see some choices that don’t necessarily have all three of these qualities in them. I would also take a look back on what he’s said about other characters (Like the Miis) and realize what he said may no longer hold any weight.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I understand PilotWings, but the rest were more like side games that you'd buy to play with a family. Also notice the title Wii in all of them, showing they were along side the console, not independent games.
Trainer, I'm not sure you really understand the impact of Wii Sports on the gaming community.
It is the best selling game of all time.
It revolutionized motion controls.
Those two factors alone make Miis worthy, but there is a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom