• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I disagree with the bolded, because it implies that an entire new generation will appear in the five or so years between this game's release and the next game's announcement, entering the fanbase and entirely reshaping what it wants. Considering how many people came back from pre-Melee and pre-Brawl to support the same newcomers for this game, that'll probably remain consistent.
I think you're overestimating how many people come back to support the same characters.

Most people leave the speculation scene after the game they're involved in are released. The people who do come back to support the same characters for the next game are usually dedicated to the speculation scene or at least are semi-well known. While there are some from the pre-Brawl generation like Johnknight1 left, the average person is probably not interested in doing another round of speculating either due to life commitments, losing interest in Smash, etc. Almost no one is left from the pre-Melee era; only ChronoBound, HyperFalcon and Starphoenix to a lesser extent are still here.

We also have to take into account the size of the Nintendo fan base, which is a very big factor here. During the pre-Melee and pre-Brawl era, the people involved in the SSB community were from the NES/SNES/N64 era. Because of how large of a following all three consoles had among dedicated gamers, this resulted in Nintendo having a massive dedicated fan base that followed them years after the gaming medium had focused its attention on the PlayStation. It is a big reason why the pre-Brawl scene was so hyperactive (though that's not to say the SSB 3DS & Wii U scene hasn't been crazy at times).

Compare that to Nintendo's fan base today. The size of the fan base has reduced to a semi-niche level. Most fans from the NES and SNES era have left for various reasons and N64 gamers are beginning to leave Nintendo as well. Much of Nintendo's current fan base are during the late N64/Gamecube era, which produced a lot less Nintendo fans than during earlier eras. While the Wii was a phenomenal success, the casuals abandoned it after the Wii bit the dust for mobile games and Nintendo was left with a gaming community that laughs at them at every opportunity (and the much smaller Nintendo fans are usually disgruntled with them as well). The Wii U will have even fewer Nintendo fans due to the absymal sales of the console. By the time we hit the time when most Nintendo fans come from the Wii/Wii U era, Nintendo's fan base is going to be pretty small as the rest of the gaming community continue to have no relevance to Nintendo.

And with the Gamecube/Wii/Wii U era Nintendo fan base comes a generation that will mostly not remember King K. Rool. If K. Rool fails to show up for SSB 3DS & Wii U, then his only chance of getting into SSB6 is if he can get an important role in DKCR3, which should boost his popularity and importance to being the biggest possible newcomer addition. If that doesn't happen, he will fade into obscurity, forgotten by gamers. Sad really, but all we're doing now is playing the waiting game. Or maybe I'm just pessimistic about the Nintendo of today (that's a rant for another thread).

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
"You all suck balls. Mega Bidoof's opinon"
21st Century Fox style.

Don't hurt me N3on.

Would Dr. Mario keep his reverse sex kick?

Sounds cool. Wouldn't mind.
The pills should bounce like they do in Melee, though. Luigi's fireballs already travel straight.

Super Sheet? What's that?

I'd prefer a FS where he sends rows of pills raining down from the sky Tetris style.

-----
Yes, he would keep the reverse sex kick.

I'm not sure what his UpB should be an I don't want jump punch since he is not from the platformer a and never actually did anything that would how him reason to do that.

What do you mean what's a super sheet?

And I like the Tetris thing better.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Well no, because Mario has much more source material.

And he is not from a puzzle game where Goomba sand blocks are the only think on the screen.
???? im not following you at all.
Mario kills the virus, he cures people, so, using diseases as an attack is just not right.
He should be all about pills and medical stuffs.

D

Deleted member

"Dr. Mario wouldn't use viruses cuz they be baddies/illness and he good guy/doctor"

Doesn't stop Mario (who is Dr. Mario) from using them to infect other drivers in the Mario Kart Arcade games.

Aside from that, there's the easy half-assed excuse that what he's using are vaccines rather than viruses.

D

Deleted member

"It's not dr's natural ability"

And flinging firey bird punches isn't C. Falcon's natural ability, but no one gives a flying one.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Eh, the Falcon Punch was invented for Smash.
That was just a reference they put in GX.

I guess the punch could be a "natural ability" of his in the anime, since he used one there. But again, that came after Smash Bros.
Uh i know, but that doesnt mean is not canonic now.
Captain Falcon was only a bounty hunter with a gun previous smash, they just create a character from the nothing, and you know what? the fire birdys doesnt contradict what he is, same with ICs ice moves.

Dr Mario using virus contradict the game where he came from and what he is. Im not saying he couldnt use virus, i actually think he coould use them, but really, he shouldnt.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I understand your thought process, but still raise counterpoints to it. Most people leave the speculation scene after a game's release if they're content with said game, but if there's still something they'd like to see from a sequel, like a character, they return (ChronoBound and Ridley being a prime example). The sheer excitement for a Smash sequel alone can do this as well (moreso if its predecessor was excellent like Melee, but still). I don't believe everyone who's here now would return for a SSB6, but I don't believe they'd all fade away due to Nintendo being Nintendo (that's nothing new at all).

I also think that it's shortsighted to pigeonhole the entire new fanbase as ones that have only grown up on the Wii and Wii U. Some of them may fit this criteria, while others may have been around before then, just unaware that a forum like this one exists where they can hang out. What's more, out of those that grew up on the Wii/Wii U, not all will mindlessly support what they've seen recently, but may check out what's already cool online as well, and grow to prefer that. If anyone mindlessly supports what they've seen recently, it's places with recurring trolls like GameFAQs, which then translates to other forums checking them out and manufacturing the idea that this and that character are now contenders (Medusa, Cranky, Rosalina, Zoroark, Wonder Red etc.)

And I don't think it's a stretch to say that it's predominantly the existing online fans that shape which characters are popular. If every post on Miiverse, every offhand real-life character discussion or YouTube comment were accounted for, we'd have a much different idea of who's popular. And yet, Sakurai polled Japanese gamers online, set up a suggestion box on an online DOJO, and Nintendo has people like Bill Trinen and Nate Bihldorff browsing Smashboards and NeoGAF as well. We're by far the easiest group to listen to, and the vast majority of what we want is well-received by offline audiences as well, based on Brawl's reception.

As far as K. Rool himself goes, his popularity is not going to collapse. That didn't happen with the non-fad characters who missed out on Brawl, so I don't know why he'd be a special case in that regard now. Might they be a bit more pessimistic? Probably, but that's not unique to K. Rool either. There's also Sakurai (if he's still around) looking to past requests like Mega Man when deciding on current rosters, as well as the potential for K. Rool to gain more exposure by being a boss or an AT, even if he's not a character, like what happened with Ridley and Little Mac.

D

Deleted member

1. Being that he's a doctor, he can cure them as quickly as he causes them. There's a sense of cruelty there; he can fix up the virus he put inside you....at a cost.
2. Dr. Mario isn't a legitimate doctor (according to Miyamoto). That alone means someone like him wouldn't be opposed to malpractice for the sake of a game like Smash.
3. Again, just replace the word "virus" with "vaccine" and the issue is gone; vaccines are "good" but are still weaker forms of viruses and can cause the very thing they are meant to raise immunity for.
4. Again, Mario has no qualms about infecting people with the very thing he tries to cure in his medical alter-ego in Mario Kart Arcade. What would really stop him from doing so in Smash?

And yes, Smash Falcon heavily contradicts what F-Zero Falcon is.
Falcon isn't a hot-blooded and campy guy, he's blunt and comically serious.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The amount of hate for Snake on Miiverse is staggering...

It's not thinking he's unlikely either. It's plain hatred.

One guy got mad that I called him a legendary icon like Sonic and Megaman.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake

Welcome to what i have to deal with on a daily basis when i support snake. People just have a severe double standard against snake for the dumbest reasons: He doesnt fit, he was just a favor, he has no nintendo loyalty, hes not an icon, etc, etc.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace

I can understand if this individual is looking into this from a popular culture perspective (only Mario, Pokemon, Sonic, Pac-Man, Master Chief, Kratos, Lara Croft, and perhaps Mega Man would fit into this criteria of being instantly recognizable video game characters to the average layman). But if it's from a video-gaming industry perspective, then Solid Snake is absolutely an iconic legend, whose own series has cultivated the landscape of the stealth genre. To consider otherwise is foolish, imprudent, and misguided.

More-than-likely, we are dealing with another "Snake isn't a Nintendo character, therefore he doesn't belong" type of fallacious mentality, which isn't even an applicably reasonable form of logic to follow; Snake's inclusion was a "special case" sort of situation by means of a personal request from the director's dear friend.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's an assist trophy again people. We're good.

Before Bluepikmin tries to argue it, it was never a good idea to make it playable in the first place, and if most of us are wrong and a Nintendog does become playable, I will eat my Wii U.

Seriously though, the dream is dead. Nintendog is our 2nd Assist Trophy Disconfirmation if you ask me. Or if you even want to consider it that.

One last thing, the Golden Retriever is on the 3DS stage if I recall, so don't even use that.

I just hate the thought of Nintendog being playable and am hoping the idea can be dead now.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Crap. The fact they replaced the Nintendog from Brawl in SSB4 probably boosted that Nintendog from Brawl's chances... BluePikmin is probably over the moon over this. You guys... Brace yourselves in case we do get Nintendog as a playable character.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Crap. The fact they replaced the Nintendog from Brawl in SSB4 probably boosted that Nintendog from Brawl's chances... BluePikmin is probably over the moon over this. You guys... Brace yourselves in case we do get Nintendog as a playable character.
wait a minute let me get what you are saying,
you are saying just because they replaced this-

with this-

makes this-

more likely?
while also this-

is also in as a stage?
that's just too dam much dogs, I'm pretty sure there would be a limit if there is already a stage and a assist trophy, he's not getting to playable status now mate, if he does, Nintendo really is in love with dogs, and all of our predictions are crap (except blue pikmins)

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
You can never have too many dogs!

...except as playable characters, in which case one is too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom