• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Meh if a generic soldier gets confirmed, people will think a CoD soldier is confirmed. :p

If CoD soldiers looked like this, I'd be inclined to give the series another shot. :laugh:

Even though hoards would flee from it. the dudebros need their "hardcore" (lol) graphics

D

Deleted member

I have been saying that the Grunts of Battalion Wars give off the badass yet cartoonish vibe.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
"A big fire breaks out in Gerudo Valley.
Epona, help!"

It had Link jumping away to escape a trail of fire on the stage.
Just like the vague Pyrosphere quote, this could be translated as "Epona will show up to help you escape this fire hazard."

Rright... I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree.
Sakurai did hint that "an enemy from Samus' past" WILL appear soon in Pyrosphere*
(Where all evidence points towards Ridley for two reasons: 1.) He has a history with Samus, 2.) That's where Samus fought Ridley)

Where as in that quote Sakurai doesn't specify anything, he's just playing along with the pic's situation. AKA a more innocent caption.

See the difference? He SAYS "an enemy from Samus' past WILL show up soon" in one. He's NOT SAYING Epona will be there on the other.

To be perfectly fair, I don't think the Gerudo Valley caption adds or detracts anything for Ridley. It's a completely different situation.
But it sounds WAY more certain that Ridley is appearing in the Pyrosphere stage* than Epona appearing in Gerudo Valley.

**But there's still the uncertainty of HOW Ridley will appear in the Pyrosphere. Playable, Hazard, Boss (unlikely), or Background, it's still not certain. And no other pic has in any way changed the status about that situation so far.

At least that's my take on it. :p

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
what do you guys feel about a squeenix character?

my friends from school really like black mage.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

There's no character from Square that I care enough about to want to play as. But a Black Mage or White Mage would be fitting, since they crossed over with Mario a couple times. And they do know how to fight.

I guess there's Sora too, but he's more fitting with a Sony-oriented crossover.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Here's my new, picture, roster. Please rate.
My Roster.png
It's kinda a wishlist more than expectation.

D

Deleted member

Rright... I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree.
Sakurai did hint that "an enemy from Samus' past" WILL appear soon in Pyrosphere*
(Where all evidence points towards Ridley for two reasons: 1.) He has a history with Samus, 2.) That's where Samus fought Ridley)

Where as in that quote Sakurai doesn't specify anything, he's just playing along with the pic's situation. AKA a more innocent caption.

See the difference? He SAYS "an enemy from Samus' past WILL show up soon" in one. He's NOT SAYING Epona will be there on the other.

To be perfectly fair, I don't think the Gerudo Valley caption adds or detracts anything for Ridley. It's a completely different situation.
But it sounds WAY more certain that Ridley is appearing in the Pyrosphere stage* than Epona appearing in Gerudo Valley.

**But there's still the uncertainty of HOW Ridley will appear in the Pyrosphere. Playable, Hazard, Boss (unlikely), or Background, it's still not certain. And no other pic has in any way changed the status about that situation so far.

At least that's my take on it. :p
That's not even what he said.
He said "An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second...".
That isn't saying Ridley WILL appear, that's saying he COULD appear. And that could range from just being a nod to Other M (since the location is where Samus and Ridley fought) to being a hint that Ridley is a currently undisclosed character to being a hint that Ridley will appear on the stage as a background character or hazard.

Then when you factor in the original Japanese statement "サムスのトラウマも、登場するかもしれない……。" (Samusu no torauma mo, tōjō suru kamoshirenai…….), which roughly translates to "Samus' trauma might also make an appearance...."
It becomes clear that it is a reference to Other M, but not of Ridley himself. Rather, it is a reference to the infamous cutscene before the Ridley fight where Samus has a trauma attack.

In other words, Sakurai's pretty much saying Samus could have a trauma attack again, which is just another one of his jokes.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Lots of decent picks, but no likely ones.

Here's my new, picture, roster. Please rate.
View attachment 5011It's kinda a wishlist more than expectation.
More new series than the original Smash added, with pretty questionable choices like Chibi-Robo and Dillon (who isn't as likely as everyone likes to pretend).

Also... getting more newcomers than we did with Brawl (as well as 2/3 of Pokemon Trainer being cut) probably isn't in the cards.

7/10 imo, still a fair number of good choices
Though rating a wishlist seems kinda pointless.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The fact that he has two-averagely received eShop titles that really didn't make too much of a splash and middling popularity (even less in Japan than here) when other potential characters have titles with a fair bit more popularity, impact, renown, and vocal support.

Sure he's cool, sure he has potential, but what actually makes him likely? Having two games?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
The fact that he has two-averagely received eShop titles that really didn't make too much of a splash and mediocre popularity (even less in Japan than here) when other potential characters have titles with a fair bit more popularity, impact, renown, and vocal support.

Sure he's cool, sure he has potential, but what actually makes him likely? Having two games?
well I dunno ness did it...

same with pit...

and the fact that nintendo is hyping up the Eshop might make the difference.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Wether a game has been received negatively or not didn't stop them from getting some representation.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
well I dunno ness did it...
Earthbound (and Mother) had a lot more popularity and success in Japan than Dillon's games ever did. A lot.

same with pit...
Even if the retro factor is to be ignored, Sakurai did state the Pit had a fair bit of popularity. Dillon... has... some, but many others have much more.

and the fact that nintendo is hyping up the Eshop might make the difference.
What's to stop Sakurai from thinking that the Mii stage (not to mention the Mii itself), perhaps a Pushmo stage, and Dillon as an AT (and maybe Tempo as well) wouldn't be good enough?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai complained about a lack of new IP's during Brawl development. Well, Dillon is new.

And if Smash is about representing Nintendo's history, an E-shop character would further diversify the roster.

Not to mention the gameplay mechanics Dillon adds such as Towers and digging.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well if Mallo or Dillon can't make it in as playables, I wouldn't mind them as an assist trophy at least. But a Pullblox/Pushmo stage (for the 3DS version at least) is a must! Please Sakurai..... :D

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I just noticed sakuri made a W101 reference in today's miiverse picture(specifically, the message).

does this mean anything?

probably not.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
It's gonna be Lightning in a cat outfit. Toriyama will never let his waifu go.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wether a game has been received negatively or not didn't stop them from getting some representation.
True, but when a series has nothing but lukewarm reception, it doesn't exactly easily accrue the popularity and wide reception that series previously included tend to have.

Sakurai complained about a lack of new IP's during Brawl development. Well, Dillon is new.
New IPs aren't going to be included on the basis that they're new, there's nothing to indicate they wouldn't be held to the same standards of other series. Plus, Dillon is hardly the only new IP since Brawl, his isn't even the most popular, so choosing him on the basis of being new is fairly arbitrary. No series has been added so far due to "being new", Sakurai just wants more new series that compare to older series.

If Sakurai wanted more new IPs added in Brawl, he did have a selection to choose from, but he only chose Pikmin. And there were new series back then that had already amounted to more than Dillon's has.

And if Smash is about representing Nintendo's history, an E-shop character would further diversify the roster.
I don't know what makes people think Sakurai would think an eShop character merits inclusion on the basis of them being an eShop character. Other than G&W (who actually represents the system, not just appearing on the system), Sakurai has never designated a "rep" specific to a system or console. The closest we've gotten is designating a rep from a time period, "classic characters".

I don't know why an "eShop rep" is given credence past the amount it and all unfounded theories deserve. There doesn't need to be a character included to represent something, there's more than enough other ways Sakurai has demonstrated giving something due attention before.

Not to mention the gameplay mechanics Dillon adds such as Towers and digging.
Yeah and other new characters can bring unique mechanics of their own, that doesn't change the fact that, with the exception of retros, Sakurai has gone for the "biggest" series first, even if smaller ones would offer just as much potential.

Any way you want to look at it, Dillon's series has yet to reach the level of recognition and popularity that the existing series, and other potential series have already met. When the biggest points for him aren't actually for him specifically (new series, eShop rep), it's time to take a second look. As far as potential is concerned, sure he has enough for a unique moveset, but so do... many other characters. That's not going to be enough to vault his series into a place where playability is a likely possibility.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
True, but when a series has nothing but lukewarm reception, it doesn't exactly easily accrue the popularity and wide reception that series previously included tend to have.
You can easily say the same for Starfox really, with the N64 game generally being considered good compared to the more recent games from the series being not received well by critics and fans alike, look at how much representation it got in Brawl.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
G&W represents his system.
R.O.B is an accessory.
Mii, if added, represents the Wii hook that helped break into new customer demographics (as well as the player).
Dillon could represent the E-shop (which is another attempt for Nintendo to expand).

Plus Dillon just has character, could be a fun surprise to a majority of players, has many potential mechanics at his disposal which in turn would add to the gameplay, and could potentially popularize E-shop just like Marth and Roy popularized FE in America.

We will see.

I have a twitchy finger.

It will be interesting to see if we get ANY new villains. They seem to be lacking in Smash.

D

Deleted member

The fact that he has two-averagely received eShop titles that really didn't make too much of a splash and middling popularity (even less in Japan than here) when other potential characters have titles with a fair bit more popularity, impact, renown, and vocal support.

The fact he's distinct, offers a unique style no other candidate can take, is quite feasible, and is from a newer character-driven IP (something Sakurai complained about a lack of during Brawl's time) among other things.
I'm not saying he's practically in the game already or that he's super-likely, but I am saying he has more of a reasonable shot than a lot of those "other potential characters", most of which are *probably* not as potent as you think (you are referring to franchises without a character, right?).
In other words, he's not "unlikely".

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You can easily say the same for Starfox really, with the N64 game generally being considered good compared to the more recent games from the series being not received well by critics and fans alike, look at how much representation it got in Brawl.
Right, but it got the majority if its representation back when it was pretty universally praised, and that popularity largely endured afterwards, at least for the characters. If it had never really got off the ground in the first place it wouldn't even be able to ride on the coattails of its glory days. Plus, the fact that all the SF movesets have been based off Fox's to varying extents probably does count for something, not to mention neither Falco nor Wolf were priority additions when they debuted, which Dillon probably would be considering how Sakurai treats new series in Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But you forgot to consider Bandana Dee, who is a Spear type and not only gets past Lanky's immunity, but is a 4x weakness. However, this would not work if you had a Toon Zelda on your team. She could even cover Sigurd's role since they are both Royal types. Also, her Landmaster is super-effective against Bandana Dees.
Toon Zelda is okay, her magic growth is awesome but I just never choose to class change her to Toon Sheik when Tetra is a much more awesome class change option. Not only does she get better STR growths, her Speed cap as a Princess Pirate is much higher as well! Not to mentoin Toon Sheik can't even Light Arrow, and her weapon level for Barrel Blasting makes it impossible to go through Bramble Scramble without major support, babying, or stat boosters. Probably need to buy her extra energy tanks to, which are much better used for other frail characters as Dixie. Also, her combo game is lackluster, and she has like zero grab range. Her weaponlevel for Aerials doesn't increase at all, and her damage output is laughable. Tetra's Luna also activates far more often, and her weapon level in Knives is far better. I see no reason not to go Tetra with Toon Zelda.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Right, but it got the majority if its representation back when it was pretty universally praised, and that popularity largely endured afterwards, at least for the characters. If it had never really got off the ground in the first place it wouldn't even be able to ride on the coattails of its glory days. Plus, the fact that all the SF movesets have been based off Fox's to varying extents probably does count for something, not to mention neither Falco nor Wolf were priority additions when they debuted, which Dillon probably would be considering how Sakurai treats new series in Smash.
Kind of an assumption here honestly, since Sakurai usually flip flops on a lot of things. :laugh:
EDIT: Plus with 2 games being worked on there is a possibility of content from unrepresented series being added in to either versions, so it isn't entirely bad for Dillon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
G&W represents his system.
R.O.B is an accessory.
Mii, if added, represents the Wii hook that helped break into new customer demographics (as well as the player).
Dillon could represent the E-shop (which is another attempt for Nintendo to expand).
The difference is while G&W actually represents his system (he's in nearly every game, and he takes content from a whole array of G&W titles), and while Mii is a default part of Nintendo's system and actually a part of the system, Dillon is just a character from a game on a platform. He's not the same thing. There's nothing about him that represents the eShop, he's just on the eShop. He doesn't even come with the system like ROB (who I also think isn't exactly comparable to G&W).

It'd be like including Pikachu on the basis of him being a "Game Boy rep". It'd be like including Olimar on the basis of him being a "Gamecube rep". This isn't why they were included, they were included due to the status/reception of their series and/or their popularity. Neither of which Dillon can claim to have a inclusion-worthy amount of.

Plus Dillon just has character, could be a fun surprise to a majority of players, has many potential mechanics at his disposal which in turn would add to the gameplay, and could potentially popularize E-shop just like Marth and Roy popularized FE in America.
I don't disagree that Dillon would be a fun addition and a cool character, but that really hasn't been enough to outweigh all the points characters from minor series, including Dillon, tend to have.

It's also not really the same as Marth (and Roy's) inclusion in Melee. Marth did have many reasons to warrant his inclusion, and popularizing FE in NA afterwards was just a side-effect, not an intended cause when Sakurai first decided to include him.

I also dunno why people seem to treat "representing" something as a character or nothing. Those aren't Sakurai's only options.

The fact he's distinct, offers a unique style no other candidate can take, is quite feasible, and is from a newer character-driven IP (something Sakurai complained about a lack of during Brawl's time) among other things.
Mmk. But if there wasn't an established context to this quote, the same argument really could apply to any number of characters. It could apply to anyone from Shulk to Wonder Red, and characters with likelihood somewhere in between those two.

I don't understand where this notion that relatively more minor IPs can now be included on the basis of being distinct, unique, feasible, and new, when, given precedent, the only new series that have actually been added have been those with a very large audience, a notable amount of support, or the next logical inclusion, size and impact wise. Sure, those points you mentioned are all positive qualities for a character to have, but they haven't been enough to get a minor series in over ones several times their audience size, fanbase, and level of impact.

In Smash 64 we got the new series of Pokemon, in Brawl we got Pikmin, so far this time we got Wii Fit. Were these the only new series that had distinct characters with unique styles and feasibility? No. But they were the biggest of what we had, and comparable to previous additions or older established series. Dillon's series isn't. Just because a series is new with a clearly feasible MC, doesn't mean it's met all the conditions necessary to be included. Or at very least, it doesn't put them at the top, or really even close to the top of the list.

I'm not saying he's practically in the game already or that he's super-likely, but I am saying he has more of a reasonable shot than a lot of those "other potential characters", most of which are *probably* not as potent as you think (you are referring to franchises without a character, right?).
Yes I am. And perhaps they aren't, but many are still a league above Dillon in just about every sense.

In other words, he's not "unlikely".
I dunno. Personally I find him pretty unlikely. Not impossible, not by any means. But pretty unlikely.

Though as Bowserlick said, we'll see.

And just to be clear, personally I like Dillon a lot, if he were included that'd be cool, I hope his series continues and prospers. But he's not in a position to be playable, not yet.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I have a twitchy finger.

It will be interesting to see if we get ANY new villains. They seem to be lacking in Smash.

Im hoping for a bunch of villains and considering whos got a decent chance this time around (King k Rool, Mewtwo, Ridley, for example) I would be really surprised if we didnt get any. Each major series should have at least one villain, and by major series, i mean any series that has 3 or more characters. One of those 3 should be a villain.

On a related note, Robin would fit well to represent FE's villain as the third slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom