• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Wouldn't it be too complicated for casual players to handle if Yellow Devil was a stage hazard?
I think he's a boss.

Now that I think about it, you're probably right.
I recall back in the Megaman trailer that when Yellow Devil was appearing, the screen was zoomed out for this stage, just like today's pic.
So yeah, I think the possibility of this being a boss fight is highly possible. Especially since it doesn't look like Sonic and Megaman are fighting between themselves, but are fighting Yellow Devil together instead.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Looks like Boss Battle or Adventure Mode has a 2-player mode, judging by the pic.
Yeah in the trailer only Megaman appeared in the trailer, this is probably a boss fight.
Since no one actually answered this question from yesterday:
If Sakurai planned 2 Nintendo Wars characters to be in the game, who do you want them to be? (The second NW character has to be a semi-clone)

?????????????

Smash Master
I'm really thinking Yellow Devil is a stage hazard. But that's what I've always thought since the first trailer.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I still think that Yellow Devil is a boss fight. One you'll only fight on Megaman's stage. Probably in Adventure Mode or something similar. If he wasn't wouldn't we see him in more gameplay pictures. Most of the footage of Megaman's stage that was shown seems to indicate it lacks any direct hazards. But I could be wrong.

Looks like Boss Battle or Adventure Mode has a 2-player mode, judging by the pic.
Yeah in the trailer only Megaman appeared in the trailer, this is probably a boss fight.

If Sakurai planned 2 Nintendo Wars characters to be in the game, who do you want them to be? (The second NW character has to be a semi-clone)
Should only be one honestly. But if I was forced to choose two I'd go for Andy and Sami. But if it's only one character, then I want soldier with a C.O giving them commands.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I hope yellow devil is a boss fight, it would seem more appropriate considering how much of the stage he takes up, and in a 4 player FFA, trying to avoid something like that while fighting your friends would be pretty difficult i would think. He would be pretty awesome as a boss. I would also be okay with him showing up near the end of a match, like with 1 minute left or so, just to throw a hypothetical wrench into gears.

Seems like boss battles arent going away, and that me really excited to see what other bosses there will be. One thing I actually really liked was the ability to play 2 player coop on certain game modes in Brawl, so seeing this picture with both Megaman and Sonic makes me quite happy, assuming this is actually a boss fight.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wouldn't it be too complicated for casual players to handle if Yellow Devil was a stage hazard?
I think he's a boss.
There's few things that are too complicated to handle, stage hazards are supposed to cause havoc after all. Yellow Devil wouldn't be much compared to Kraid bashing the whole stage around in Brinstar Depths.

?????????????

Smash Master
So, if we're saying that Yellow Devil has been teased as the specific boss character of Dr. Wily's Castle, then that means stages have boss characters. Which would mean that on the Pyrosphere, Sakurai has been teasing...

Ridley deconfirmed. :c

(for anyone who thinks Yellow Devil is a boss :awesome:)

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I'm afraid that the boss battle for Sonic will be the Deadly Six. ;-; (Given the Windy Hill Zone stage)
I hope it's Eggman.
I hope to god that its Eggman, its not like K Rool whos been missing for a while, Eggman/Robotnik has been there since the beginning, and judging how many giant robots there were for bosses in Brawl, we could have "Random Eggbot X" for a boss, but honestly, thats what Eggman does best and I hope for this. If Sakurai overlooks this, it would be a huge missed opportunity.

As far as NW characters, Andy seems like the best bet. He's closest thing they have to a protagonist (I would think) and have a soldier as a secondary semi clone, although theyre probably only going to get one, if any.

EDIT: Just passed my 400th post! WHEW!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Honestly, I never really understood why Ridley is still considered a shoo-in when Sakurai specifically hinted at "an enemy from Samus' past will appear anytime now".
If we do the math, there hasn't been any other Metroid stage revealed so far, meaning that's Samus' turf. Which so happens to be the place where Ridley was fought in Other M.

In a hypothetical scenario where Isaac is a newcomer, and Sakurai announced that Venus Lighthouse was a stage, and he quoted "A former friend of Isaac will appear any moment now". I can pretty much write in stone that Felix will show up as a background/stage hazard character.

I'm a Metroid fan myself. And I would like to see Ridley, but my expectations are a bit more on the realistic side.

?????????????

Smash Master
I hope to god that its Eggman, its not like K Rool whos been missing for a while, Eggman/Robotnik has been there since the beginning, and judging how many giant robots there were for bosses in Brawl, we could have "Random Eggbot X" for a boss, but honestly, thats what Eggman does best and I hope for this. If Sakurai overlooks this, it would be a huge missed opportunity.
If that's the case, couldn't we say the same about not using Dr. Wily as the boss?
(making the assumption that Yellow Devil is a boss, which I'm not sold on)

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I never really understood why Ridley is still considered a shoo-in when Sakurai specifically hinted at "an enemy from Samus' past will appear anytime now".
If we do the math, there hasn't been any other Metroid stage revealed so far, meaning that's Samus' turf. Which so happens to be the place where Ridley was fought in Other M.
Because it's a vague quote that could mean a multitude of things?
If we were to take all Miiverse quotes at face value, Epona is a stage element that helps you on the Gerudo Valley stage.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054

In a hypothetical scenario where Isaac is a newcomer, and Sakurai announced that Venus Lighthouse was a stage, and he quoted "A former friend of Isaac will appear any moment now". I can pretty much write in stone that Felix will show up as a background/stage hazard character.

I'm a Metroid fan myself. And I would like to see Ridley, but my expectations are a bit more on the realistic side.

Well I think people are just fed up with hearing "Ridley is too big" or "Ridley is too cool" as arguments against him, when really Ridley can be changed to fit the style of the game, so they just want to see him in (this includes me) not only to play as him, but to silence the haters using arguments that dont really work. Olimar, Bowser, etc. are were rescaled, and Snake was made without guns to make him "less cool" (by cool, i mean violent, but thats the way the arguments sound.) Theres also the fact that theres not really anyone else to add from Metroid that would really represent it well other than Ridley, except for maybe Dark Samus, which would be lazy and not very well recieved, IMO.

D

Deleted member

I don't really follow all Miiverse quotes, so what exactly did he say and what was on the pic?
"A big fire breaks out in Gerudo Valley.
Epona, help!"

It had Link jumping away to escape a trail of fire on the stage.
Just like the vague Pyrosphere quote, this could be translated as "Epona will show up to help you escape this fire hazard."

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Toon Sheik is indeed vomit-worthy, but why Tetra?

-----
----
Ehh lets say that I´m not to fond of the character or in general of Wind Waker and seeing the pattern maybe she will be a clone of Toon Sheik with only changing the exterior but not the concept of the character, so yeah I prefer the others at least more because of their aesthetic than the Cel-Shading art style.

.n_n.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm afraid that the boss battle for Sonic will be the Deadly Six. ;-; (Given the Windy Hill Zone stage)
I hope it's Eggman.

Well we don't know whether or not we're getting Green Hill back or not. And even if we don't, Yellow Devil wasn't in the Megaman 2 version of the Wily Castle so it's not like the games need to be followed to a tee.

I'm hoping for Eggman as a boss too, or at least Metal Sonic.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

*sigh* At this point, that quote is becoming the new "Up until now" of the fandom. Really, it can mean anything depending on how one interprets it and doesn't hint at one possibly over the other. Also, like Golden said, we have other quotes that have vaguely referred to other characters, settings and events so there's no reason at this point to assume that Ridley is anymore special in that regard.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
hello there mates, just got through another exciting day of my studies, along with playing some old megaman games, and then later to see the good old yellow devil make another appearance, ah good times,
well though anyway time for some speculation, what is of todays topic?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Epona as a ridable item would cool, you could temporarily bash opponents before the horse disappears.

What's up with the generic soldier idea? That seems a bit boring. :/

Those are the guys that do the actual fighting. So having them do their job seems natural. We don't see the C.Os get into combat, so don't know if they can actually fight, but improvising is still a viable option.

I want to take the Pokemon Trainer route with the Soldier. Where you have the guys that actually do the leg work, do said leg work. And the people giving them commands, do what they do best.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley isn't considered a shoo-in from what I've heard from people, I certainly don't consider him a shoo-in myself. In all honesty, no potential newcomer should be considered that, not even Little Mac. This time there simply aren't as clear cuts as characters like Dedede and Wario who had nothing going against them. Even Little Mac has a few things going against him, granted they are incredibly miniscule since it's basically limited to Sakurai's interpretation of Little Mac and Punch Out.

Ridley has a very good shot at getting in, but remember, he also had that in Brawl. I'm not going to let it surprise me as much as it did back then if he isn't playable, might aswell brace for impact. That doesn't mean I'm not optimistic about him though, I am, but it can't hurt to prepare for the worst. I don't think his fate will involve being a stage hazard regardless though.

D

Deleted member

I don't remember if you ever answered me Golden, who or what confirmed that Falcon's moveset was based on his car?
Hmm? I didn't even see that you asked.

Anyways, I remember it being in one of the questionaires on either the Japan site for Smash 64 or the one for Melee among other interesting facts (such as Mewtwo being the star of the first Pokemon movie being a major reason Sakurai wanted him; that and he offered an interesting ESP fighting style).

There's a lot to read through, so if I find the one where he discusses Fox and/or Captain Falcon, I'll send it to you in a message.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well Andy, Sami, and Max are leaders right. They should've done lots of training in physical and weapon practice. I think they are able to fight on their own. (Excuse my lack of knowledge for Nintendo Wars)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What's up with the generic soldier idea? That seems a bit boring. :/
While I don't think he'd be the most likely Wars character, he does represent the series as a whole the best, so there is some logic behind it.

I just wanna know Ridley's fate already, I'll be glad either way if he's a boss or playable. ;-;
It's not out of the ordinary to really not know where a large percent of the characters stand until the game starts leaking. Although Ridley has been hinted at, still could be months until we find out about him.

Patience is pretty key for this whole speculation deal. :ohwell:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Ridley and Eggman is the discussion. :p
well, . . . that's surprising. . . we usually have the most random discussion about fire emblem, or low end characters, or . . . . disturbing topics . . .
well anyway, for ridley I see him going either way, his complex design will make him tough in intercept in the game, along with all we have been shown at the pyrospear level, some may say his chances are slipping, but ridley is probably the second wanted newcomer (first is megaman) throughout smash, so that shear amount of fan demand along with the need for Metroid representing, just might be enough so that the team may just take on that massive workload just to please the fans, so I still say he's a 50/50 chance

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Hmm? I didn't even see that you asked.

Anyways, I remember it being in one of the questionaires on either the Japan site for Smash 64 or the one for Melee among other interesting facts (such as Mewtwo being the star of the first Pokemon movie being a major reason Sakurai wanted him; that and he offered an interesting ESP fighting style).

There's a lot to read through, so if I find the one where he discusses Fox and/or Captain Falcon, I'll send it to you in a message.
We were talking about it a few pages back. Seems pretty interesting, I would read the entire document if you find it, thanks.

D

Deleted member

Being a C.O. =/= Capable of doing the grunt work.

I mean, Andy's a frigging engineer.
That being said, I can see Sami on the battlefield as a soldier, considering she is constantly packing heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom